Yonex RQiS 1 Tour Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: A lot of people make a big deal about this being a low powered racquet and not seem to focus on the excellent feel and comfort, and incredible control, rock solid stability, and insane spin you could produce with this stick. The power issue can be easily resolved by adding a little lead (even just 1 gram) at the 12 and stringing at a lower tension, and the same time retaining all the other good qualities I mentioned earlier. The only thing here is the tapered beam, but once you get used to it, you'd unleash cannons left and right.
From: Gasolina, 9/11
String type and tension: Pro Line II at 40 lbs

Comments: I've been using this frame for about a month, and I love it! It's a great low powered "tweener" option. For serving it's great, and the return of serves are A+. I would totally recommend this stick to any counter puncher or doubles player. Very versatile and super arm friendly. It totally helped out my golfers elbow and wrist problems!
From: Fuji. 5/11
String type and tension: Volkl Powerfibre II @ 53 lbs

Comments: OMG!!! I love this racquet, I'm a High School Varsity #1 Doubles, I used to use the old Prince Triple Threat Graphite Mid, now it's my back up, but when I switched to this racquet I felt a big difference in my performance and play on the court. I'm a really power-oriented hard hitter with huge topspin and a big server with a one-handed backhand and a frequent string breaker, most of my teammates are afraid of me 'cause of my big shots serves and volleys, I really felt the dampened feeling, and I can hit my power shots with ease without fearing of over-hitting and hurting my arm and shoulder and it also provides a lot of spin, now I have bigger topspin on my groundstrokes and slices and my kick serves now kicks higher than before, which my opponents compliments me after our match, and I use any string that I can use with this racquet. I highly recommend this racquet to players that have the same play-style as me, I hope I can buy another one or two of this racquet so that I don't have to worry about adjusting to my Prince TT Graphite Mid when I break my strings. Thanks a lot Yonex for making this technology, now I found the perfect racquet for me. Keep up the good work!!
From: Jeeno, Union City, CA, USA, 03/11
String type and tension: Luxilon BB Original, Yonex Cyber Brid 125, Tecnifibre Red Code and Black Code
NTRP Rating: 3.5- 4.5

Comments: So the last 25+ years of playing with stiff Wilson Pro Staff sticks (Orig 6.0, nCode 90, Kfactor, BLX, etc.) have caught up with me, and I needed something that would permit me to keep playing for another 25+ years, especially with the current painful nuisance of golfer's elbow that I'm just playing through. This is a well-balanced head-light racquet, and the swingweight and stiffness allows nice plow-through and feel through every groundie and serve. Volleys feel solid and controlled with good racquet maneuverability. For a sub-12-oz stick, swings feel heavy, but not unbearable, which is helpful on returns. I highly recommend this racquet.
From: Ray, Los Angeles, CA, USA, 03/11
String type and tension: Luxilon TiMo 17 @ 57 (M)/Wilson NXT @ 60 (C)
Headsize: 95 MP

Comments: Extremely low powered, slightly unstable, when I hit with it felt like it was getting pushed around slightly, even though I have one of the biggest serves in the competition I do, I struggle to produce a big serve with this stick.
From: Jonathan, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 09/10
String type and tension: Babolat Revenge @ 25kg

Comments: After playing with classic Yonex frames like the Super RD Tour 95 and RDX500 MP, I'd agree with most of the comments here that the RQiS Tour 1 is an underpowered player's racquet. But the ability to generate lots of spin at will, together with the incredible touch and feel of the frame makes it a dangerous weapon. If you can generate good racquet head speed and power from your strokes, you are going to like this stick!
From: David, Aurora, CO 03/10
String type and tension: VS Team/Gamma pro 60/57

Comments: This racquet is no joke. Its slightly underpowered but that isn't necessarily a weakness. This frame is purely control and comfort over power. I've been using this racquet for over a year now and I don't think that any other racquet could make me happier. I'm a varsity high school player and this racquet does its job. My aim improved significantly with this racquet as it allowed more spin and more precise control. I still can hit just as fast as the others on my team as this racquet accepts the power you put in, rather than the trampoline effect with other racquets. I've tried playing with the racquets of others on my team (Microgel Prestige, Flexpoint Prestige, Microgel Extreme, KPro Staff, K61, KPro Tour, K Blade, Babolat Pure Drive) and this racquet demolishes them by far. This racquet is definitely arm friendly, pretty much the opposite of stiff. I recommend anyone who has strong powerful swings and is looking for a comfortable control racquet to help their aim and consistency.
From: Kevin, San Diego, CA 02/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power fullbed @ 60lbs.

Comments: I got this racquet on a whim, because I was told it was similar to old Yonex racquets, like my beloved R-22. I would not say that it is similar to an R-22, but it does have its own thing going on. The R-22 is actually better for hitting a big ball as it has more plow through. The R-22 also feels alive, because it is made from superior materials....and this has that typical new racquet muted feeling that every stick seems to have these days. This racquet is all about control and taking a big cut. You must take a big cut with this racquet, or you will get no depth on the ball. However, if you go lower on the tension, that will alleviate some of those issues. Mine came strung at around 54 pounds and that was causing me to launch the balls long. I re-strung to 62 pounds and gained much more control. However, you have to work and work hard. I can't rely on this racquet to propel the ball and relax, I have to hammer everything that comes over the net. I think this thing would probably kill me if I had to go 5 sets with it. LOL. Still, it is a really fun racquet and it will impart some gigantic spin on the ball if your strokes are up to par. I am going to continue experimenting with strings. I would like to find a little more pop, but maintain the same level of control. I may also lead it up a little as it is pretty light. Still, I would highly recommend this racquet to a Yonex player, or someone new to the brand. Excellent racquet.
From: Mike, NOLA, USA 09/09
String type and tension: Prince Multi. 62 pounds.

Comments: Used to play with Wilsons and last had a KSix-One 95. However it seemed that Wilson have made their rackets much stiffer and overpowering, so upon reading the reviews and comments, decided on this Yonex. My thoughts are: Groundstrokes: Power is not high (as noted by other reviewers), but you can take a big cut at the ball without fear of ball flying out. So I get more consistency but lower power. Serve: Great at spin and placement, adequate power on the flat serves Volley: Good feel around the net, but not that crisp - so have to work a bit harder for put-aways, but excellent with touch shots Return of Serve: my least fav part about this racket. this stick requires you to take a decent cut at the ball, and it's hard to do on return of serve. Overall, feedback not dissimilar to other reviewers. Control vs Power. For me consistency wins more points that raw power, so keeping the sticks in my bag.
From: Jimmy, HK 09/09
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Blackcode 18, 57lbs

Comments: Hello. I've been using this racquet since I was a junior in college, playing on a collegiate team for the past 3 years. I switched to this racquet from the RDS 001,90 sq. inch. I have to divulge that hitting with a 90 sq. inch racquet requires a lot of game and timing. I serve and volley for the most part during my freshmen/sophomore seasons and used the 90 inch frame. It was terrific hitting volleys, and especially when you hit the ball in the center you certainly move the ball faster through the court. I decided that I can't serve and volley forever since the courts are slower and honestly I don't have the most 'dynamite' on my serve though my volleys are nice. I made the switch to the 95 inch frame and saw how forgiving it was. My groundies saw immediate improvement as well as more pace on my serve, though it took a while to get used to the size. The racquet is meant for hard hitting baseliners but now I am an all-court player and find this racquet suitable for those types of players. The head size a bit big, but if you primarily hit off the ground you will find this racquet useful. However, I didn't like the weight distribution on the racquet nor hitting volleys with it. First, the applied lead tape on the top for the racquet to be more head heavy. The frame seems evenly balanced though it's not considered a light frame at all. Second, the maneuverability at the net for volleying is sub par. Wielding the racquet was difficult at first at the net, providing less feel and stiffness through the ball. The 90 inch RDS 001 did just that. But this adjustment is workable, but consider this into your volleying.
From: anon. Mission Viejo, CA United States 08/09
String type and tension: 58-60 lbs
Headsize: 95 sq. inch

Comments: Finally, I got to use the infamous underpowered racquet. This is definitely a counter puncher's racquet all the way. From the first ball I hit I felt total comfort and spin. This racquet is very low powered. I have tried out a ton of racquets this year and this is lowest powered racquet I have come across. Control is awesome and the spin in crazy. Like others said you can really swing away and not worry about the ball going out. Slices are another great weapon with this racquet. It really pockets the ball. I found a huge amount of spin on my serves with low to mid level power. So I would have to agree with others a great stick with awesome control only if you have the arm for it. If you gas out this stick would probably be a nightmare.
From: Boo Radley, Modesto, CA
String type and tension: msv focus hex

Comments: I'm a very aggressive baseliner with a long loopy swing and I rarely come to the net. But wen I do its pretty solid. This racquet has a smaller head size than my old racquet (HEAD Liquidmetal Radical MP) but only by 3 square in. When I first got this racquet I shanked quite a bit but it only took some getting used to. Now after having this racquet for about 3 months I'm very glad I switched to it. The only down side is that it is an expensive racquet. My serves and ground strokes have gotten way better. On volleys I have to put a little more power because it is a very control-oriented racquet. groundstrokes[8/10] volleys[6/10] serves[8/10] control[9/10] power[4/10]
From: Dustin, Tampa Bay, FL
String type and tension: Wilson k gut 16

Comments: I got a demo of this racquet and I absolutely loved it. I liked it so much I bought it. I shanked a lot at first but it only takes a couple of days to get used to have a bigger head size but I like the transition. I've gotten a lot better groundstrokes and my serves had more pop. I really recommend it.
From: Malachi, Indiana, USA 08/09
String type and tension: Prince syn. gut at 59 lbs

Comments: I'm an aggressive baseliner with a western forehand, a one-handed eastern backhand, and long loopy, strokes. Previously I'd played with the ProStaff 6.1 for about 10 years before switching to this racquet 10 months ago. Initially I fell in love with the cushioning. It really holds the ball well, enabling you to get lots of spin. I can hit angles with this racquet that I could never get with the ProStaff. When I get a full swing, there's also more than enough power to put away short balls, and the sweet spot is much larger than I was used to. This racquet is also great at the net. I won't use the tired scalpel analogy, but the racquet is very maneuverable and I can place the ball very well with enough pop to do damage. I definitely lost a few MPH on my serve, but nothing major. Recently, I started to like this racquet less and less, though. It's so underpowered, that whenever I play a big hitter and don't have time to take a full swing, many of my shots fall short, enabling my opponent to approach or just hit a clean winner. I feel like I lose matches because the racquet doesn't have enough weight to play effective defense. My experiments with lead tape have helped a bit, but not enough, and I'm considering a switch to the RDiS 100. To summarize, this racquet has great control and enough power when you get a full swing, but if you want to use it against big hitters, you better have immaculate timing because you need a long to swing to consistently get the ball deep with pace.
From: Nate, Atlanta, GA, USA 07/09
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17 at 58lbs

Comments: I used my new RQIS 1 Tour for the first time this morning and it was awesome! This was my first new racquet since my 20 year old Yonex RQ-150! It will probably take a while for me to get used to the racquet, but here are my thoughts on is so far. Serves were accurate but not enough power. The control was incredible, however, on volleys and rallies! I had to over hit quite a bit to generate power from the baseline, but the balls landed where I intended them to go! I'll revise my comments in a few months, after I have used it for a while. But, so far so good!
From: Pascal, Pleasant Hill, MO, USA 07/09
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament 16 gauge, 60 lbs

Comments: Totally the best selling racquet of the RQiS line from Yonex. No doubt it's a control-oriented racquet. This makes it so easy to hit harder and harder on all kinds of rallies. I'm very much satisfied because topspin, underspin drop shots and all kinds of shots are very easy to impose and with this I got my second racquet!
From: badong, murrieta usa. 6/09
String type and tension:58 - 55

Comments: Very good racket for those who loves flex for good ball pocketing. Very good maneuverability. It's true that even if you hit big shots, you don't have to be afraid of over hitting it outside the line cause the racquet really helps you to keep the ball in! Flat, topspin, or backspin, you name it, very spin friendly! Very good dampening you don't actually need another dampener in between strings
From: Badong, San Diego, CA, USA, 03/09

Comments: I've hit with a lot of garbage racquets before, but this is the worst of the worst. Absolutely dreadful. Don't buy this racquet if you like to hit the ball in the court because it is impossible. Very trampoline-like. I have frying pans in my kitchen with more feel than this racquet. When you have to serve, you honestly have to go "oh god. how many times will I double-fault this time." So if you plan on looking for a solid racquet to provide good control and spin, look elsewhere.
From: Jimmy, Birmingham, AL. 3/09
String type and tension: Wilson nxt 17 58

Comments: I've been playing with Yonex racquets since the R7 was introduced. As with all the other feedbacks, it takes a while to get used to the racquet. If you have the patience and work at it, this racquet will pay big dividends in the end. Coming from a SRQ600ti to the RQ is 1 tour was a big change for me especially in the power category. But once you get used to this racquet, the control is amazing. I'll give up power for control any day. I think it improved my game in many ways. I recommend you try it if you want control, but also to be patient with the results.
From: Scott, Wahiawa, HI, USA. 3/09
String type and tension: Prince Muti 17g 55/53

Comments: I am a top 50 ranked player in NorCal and I have used the RQIS tour for 3 years now. This racket has done me good. It has so much control where sometimes you feel like you just never miss. It's not too powerful, but perfect for people that use a lot of spin and like to generate most of their power. I used to use the Wilson N fury, but changed because I felt like I needed something with more control. I demoed 6 raquets, I can only remember the the yellow Yonex racquet and the Wilson K Factor. I thought I would choose the Yonex one because it felt better and my friend used it, but once I was 5 minutes the the RQIS tour I knew this was the one for me. I love this racquet and would advise you to try it out.
From: Allen, Clovis, CA, USA. 3/09
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation/60

Comments: Great racquet. It is the best racquet I have ever played with. It has low power (good for those who generate their own power) I generate a lot of power myself for a relatively small guy, so having such a racquet is a perfect fit for me. It has a nice pop, and great overall play. I would have to say that this racquet is overall one if not the best racquet in which Yonex has released, perfect.
From: Josh, South San Francisco, Ca, USA. 2/09
String type and tension:Gamma LiveWire XP 16, 68lbs

Comments: Hated the stick initially at first swing. It was stuck in my bag as a demo so I started I persisted in trying a second time. Wow...what a difference a few minutes makes. This racquet isn't under powered for a player style racquet. It was truly amazing feel and feedback that makes placement a cinch when it's hit properly. It combines a sense of crisp flex that seems intangible by other racquet standards. All in all, it gives me the pleasure to over turn my bias of Yonex sticks. Bring your game because this stick can handle it all.
From: Frech, USA. 2/09
String type and tension: Synthetic gut/ 60lbs

Comments: Great racquet! When I demoed it I was surprised with how much control I got. The power, stability and lighter weight troubled me a little however, that is nothing a little lead tape on the neck and at the 11 and 1 o'clock couldn't fix for me. The racquet didn't work to well for me with a cheap standard synthetic string, instead polyester was the way to go, something along the lines of Signum PPP hextreme pure, Tecnifibre red code 17, pacific poly force 17 or spinfire ignition (not sold in TW U.S.A.). Do not be fooled by the beam width. It may be wide but in this case does not mean it has more power. If you look closely the side of the neck is slightly thinner than other players racquets. You will need developed strokes and be able to provide your own power to get the most out of this stick.
From: Anthony, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, 02/09
String type and tension: Spinfire ignition 17 or Signum pro poly plasma hextreme @ 57lbs
NTRP Rating: Highly ranked junior

Comments: Switched from Head flexpoint prestige and never looked back. Awesome stick!
From: Tyrone, Australia, 02/09
String type and tension: Gosen micro mains Big ace red crosses 55lbs

Comments: I'm going to review this racquet tennis-warehouse style. Let me introduce a little about myself, first. I'm a righty, and I have a semi-western grip on my forehand; my two-handed backhand is more versatile and powerful than my forehand but not as consistent. I have a fairly long swing style, although I am what some would classify "a counter-puncher"; I also play a good deal of doubles.
Groundstrokes: I enjoyed the comfortable feeling and being able to blast groundies with this stick. The only thing I didn't enjoy at all from this frame was the low power level. I could have done with more, like the XL. I prefer the XL over this older version, personally. Groundstrokes were solid feeling at contact, and comfortable at the least. Nothing special. This frame is definitely most suited to people who absolutely love smacking the living daylights out of a tennis ball. It has great control and maneuverability right off the bat, too. Timing on shots will take some time to get used to, at first, unless you're used to this type of 95 headsize, and weight; if any timing was off, there would occasionally be a mis-hit, and an erratic response. Keep your eyes on the ball!
Volleys: Volleys got a passing grade, from me, but I just didn't think that they had enough 'punch.' I think maneuverability at net was excellent, however. 'Placing instead of punching' is what I'd have to say you need to do to get that perfect untouchable volley during any match. This frame worked well for me in singles, and doubles.
Serves: I liked the weight of this frame, which also allowed me to almost move down and into the ball/court with the racquet. It allowed me to place serves better, and generate quite a bit of slice and power. I disliked the low power level which stood out again for me in this area of the game. It wasn't terribly low, but I did occasionally feel fatigued during a match, sending balls into the bottom of the net. Endurance training should help. It may be a perfect frame for those of you with 'big' hitting, and all out aggressive games.
Serve returns: I enjoyed another solid response from serve returns as well. I just didn't like the lack of stability when returning heavy, powerful serves. Blocking them back was as simple and easy as holding the racquet, anyway. Maneuverability was excellent, however, I felt like you could use the pace of a heavy serve if your timing is impeccable, and redirect that pace anywhere else in the court.
Overall... [1 being worst, 10 being best]
Topspin: 7/10
Manueverability: 8/10
Control: 9/10
Touch/feel: 6/10
Overall: 7/10
From: Allen, Dallas, TX, USA. 1/09
String type and tension: Wilson Natural Gut 16G @ 58 lbs

Comments: Great racquet. I love this racquet and I highly recommend. I play 5-6 times a week and this racquet supports all my needs on the tennis court. If you are looking for a racquet that will give you a lot of power, but still with a great amount of spin, this is the one. I have used this racquet for over two years and I have never had a problem. I give it a 10/10.
From: Allen, USA, 01/09
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16, natural
NTRP Rating: 4.5-5.0

Comments: My playing partner and I have been using this racquet for about a year now. We both like it, but it's definitely one to test before you buy. Here's why... Pros: great buttery feel (on the strings a long time) IF you hit it in the sweetspot (avg-sized sweetspot for a 95--only better "feel" we tested was the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1, which was way too demanding for me in terms of weight and sweet spot size), great control, great spin (even for a Yonex, which usually have great spin already), very controllable depth in the court if you hit in the sweet spot, great if you have trouble keeping shots in (spin plus low power). Ok, cons: poor power/depth control if you miss the sweetspot (you will hit a "killable" short ball), poor power off the serve if you don't really club the ball, very picky about string tension and strings used (like many racquets these days), precise and high-effort swing required on most all shots (you really need to swing through the ball big time). Overall, like I said, we like it, but it does require a fast swing and a precise swing (not bad things to have or develop in the first place!!). This is definitely a racquet that will make you better over time and require that you pick your game up from 3.5 and bring it to 4.0 or 4.5 (there are many players racquets that will do this, of course). I would check it out to see if it's for you or not.
From: Paul, San Diego, CA, USA. 1/09
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger mains and Gamma TNT2 synthetic crosses, 58-60 lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5/4.0

Comments:I have been using Yonex racquets for nearly a decade now. My first love was the Ti70; later influenced by Lleyton Hewitt into using the Ti50. Later, developed the Copper Ti80, which later improved to the Red/blue Ti80, and now the RQis1. Unfortunately, Yonex claims this racket to be an advancement to the Ti80, but honestly doesn't have the same "crisp" as it. At first, I did not appreciate the quality feel of the racquet due to its flexibility compared to the Ti's, but as I tightened the string and placed leather pieces on the bottom parts of the grommet, the ball had a nice clean solid feel. I am still currently using the RQis 1. Overall, it's a great racquet.
From: Florante, Carson, CA, USA, 02/09
String type and tension: Yonex Tough Brid 65lbs
NTRP Rating: Nationally Ranked Junior

Comments: Try it. Then try it again. This frame is like a fine pair of shoes that need to be broken in. It will be years before I switch to another frame. I'm going to stock up on as many of these as I can, I love this frame that much. If you have the power, the frame will bring the control. I love taking a short ball, hitting a good approach then finishing the point with a hard volley, the RQiS does it so well and I'm mainly a baseliner!!!
From: Tim, Concord, NH, USA. 11/08
String type and tension: Topspin Cyberflash 17 in the mains at 54. Babolat Addiction 16 crosses at 57.
Headsize: 95sq/in

Comments: Tried this racquet and loved it. Coming from someone that used to use Oversize and a little lighter Flexpoint Radical, trying different racquets usually wouldn't satisfy my standard being too different from what I'm used to. This racquet seems to have similar flexibility and isn't as stiff as a lot of the heavier racquets, so shots felt good. This racquet gives so much control and a player like myself can hit the ball as hard as you want without fear of missing unless you really do it wrong. So I'm sold, going to switch to this soon. Only problem may be lack of pop on the serve
From: Tony, MN, USA. 11/08
NTRP Rating: 5.5-6.0

Comments: This is a great stick! If you want control.. this is it! If you want raw power -- look elsewhere. I find this to offer enough power for me and to be honest it does take some a few time out before you get the feel of it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. Some might thing it feels "dead" since it doesn't shock your body/arm... but I really don't need that jarring effect to make me like a stick.
From: KO. 10/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Rough 56lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4 (or something like that)

Comments: I think this racket is really good, but you have to work just a little harder to make your serve pop, but within a couple of practices it feels really good. Everything else is just amazing. People talk on and on about this racket's control, but it has a really nice pop and good control also without losing any of that good raw power. I made the switch from an RDS 003 2008 and I should have been using this racket much earlier.
From: Marquise, Los Angeles, CA, USA. 9/08
String type and tension: Wilson nxt 17 @ 58
NTRP Rating: junior

Comments: I left my comments earlier and after modifying my racquet for few weeks and I came across the following setting, which will fix the racquet for control and power. 1) Use approximately 3-4inch 1/4 wide lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock and string your racquet with Luxilon ALU Power 16 @56-58 or Yonex 850 Pro @56-58(power string). Don't go over the tension 60lb and don't use any control string else you will be swinging the racket to produce right power and you will be tired after 1st set. I hope Anna switch to different racket or re-configure this racket according to her game else she will lose most of the time.
From: Sahajpal, Irvine, CA, USA, 09/08
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU Power 16 @58

Comments: I'd say this racquet is hard to get accustomed to at first, but over time you'll get the hang of it. This racquet really reflects everything about the player, and their actions--which was a good, but bad thing. Sometimes I felt so horrible, and just felt like I was playing so bad, and ended up really believing it and out came so many errors in a match. But if I was ever positive, and focused, not very often, I completely dominated. I loved serving with this racquet very much, although late in a match it gets tiring serving aggressively. On returns, I felt like I really had to be on top of the return, and completely dedicate to the return, and just hit it over, or else anything else I would do to a return would just kind of float back over. Volleys in particular kind of stunned me, at contact there's a very nice solid feel and punch on volleys--but absolutely no juice I felt--for put-away volleys. I would either have to drop it low, or angle it deeply. Groundstrokes were pretty solid, and topspin was pretty easy to generate off both wings. I enjoyed hitting my two-handed backhand with this stick. Finesse and touch shots were also kind of a player thing--you'll really have to commit and go with the shot you intend or need/want to, or else this racquet won't forgive so easily. The racquet actually flew out of my hand before when I returned a serve, I accidentally shanked it and the racquet just flipped out of my hand. I felt kind of worried about this. I felt that this stick is very control oriented; it sometimes gets a little heavy on the arm during long matches, but you learn to get used to it. So overall, this racquet has many great ups, but many great downs, I felt. Power was no problem for me, I'm debating on whether I should stick to this stick, or with my old Prince Ozone Seven--which I felt was a little too powerful.
From: Anh, Keller, Texas, USA. 9/08
String type and tension: Wilson 16 Stamina @ 60 lbs
Headsize: 95 sq inches

Comments: Great racquet! I had the Head Flexpoint Prestige for a long time, and I was looking for a new racquet with the same amount of control. This was the racquet I was looking for and more! I tried the RDS 001 and I didn't completely love it. I then tried this one and I got the control I wanted, and more power and great spin. Love this stick!
From: Jared, Bronx, NY. 9/08
String type and tension: Gamma synthetic 58 lbs.

Comments: I think this racquet is really nice because I swing at the ball. I have an almost western forehand and it helps me generate a nice amount of spin. Serving was okay, I like serves better on my old n-code but this is overall better. This racquet is a racquet you should demo before you buy, it fits my game very well but my friend tried it and hated it. The racquet is built for certain types of players, it will either be a home run or not for you. The racquet should be strung with polyester, I tried different string out and polyester is the for this racquet, I used to use a hybrid with natural gut on the mains and poly on the cross, the racquet has enough feel so the poly is needed for a little more control. Overall a nice racquet if you can produce your own pace on the ball.
From: Abbie, Louisville, KY, USA, 09/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger strung at 57 lb
Headsize: 95sq

Comments: Coming from an Ncode 95 user, I'd say this stick is a totally different beast. The N95 is a stiffer more powerful racket and was giving me arm problems but the Rq is changed all that. At first I had a hard time with my shots flying more due to the open string patterns but then I changed to a thicker gauge and that seem to help. Surprisingly my serve is better in the sense that my shoulder doesn't hurt as much maybe due to the higher/enlarged sweetspot. I also found that I can feel the ball better than my old stick maybe b/c of its flex and string pattern.
From: E, CA, USA, 08/08
String type and tension: M: Babolat VS 16/X: Syn 16

Comments: Very nice racquet. For me it is easy on the joints because of its flexibility. I have heavy topspin and powerful strokes. I was using Wilson k-sixone-95s and the stiffness and the weight of the racquet just killed my wrist. Although the Yonex is a few grams lighter it made the difference. The shape of the racquet opens the sweet spot up a little so some off center hits are more forgiving. Good control (but control is as good as you are) and good maneuverability at net and I like the net. So the Yonex is definitely a keeper and I see it being a classic in years to come.
From: Jeff, NJ, USA, 08/08
String type and tension: Gosen og/Gosen poly 62-57

Comments: I was a bit hesitant when I read the review of this racquet, but I demoed it anyway. At first I just thought the reviews were pretty accurate but first impressions can be a bit deceiving. Once I found my rhythm with this racquet everything started working better. I found that my most powerful serves now stayed in and from the baseline I could really swing for the lines at full tilt. It seems the secret for this stick is confidence, and if you are confident enough in your abilities to go for your shots with speed then you will be happy with your decision. Also, just to throw it in for those who actually still volley, it's terrific at it!
From: Sean, St Andrews, United Kingdom. 8/08
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane / Babolat VS Hybrid 58lbs

Comments: I just played a match with this racquet and let me just say: "WOW!" I've been an RDS 001 mid player for a few months now and just had to try out the RQ is 1 tour out of curiosity. The RDS 001's are perfect for my game and the RQis1tour complements everything VERY nicely. I was already used to the large amount of flex in the 001 but the RQ has even more; it took all of maybe 3 minutes to get used to. During match play, I found the racquet to be VERY controllable. Want to go down the line? You got it. Sharp crosscourt into the service box with topspin to open up the court? Yep...every time. That's what I like about this racquet; more spin, more control, without having to change your swing mechanics. I do, however, think that the racquet might be better suited to an advanced player, simply because the racquet requires proper swing mechanics. If you hit the ball correctly, the RQ is 1 tour will pay off in dividends!! For lower level players, this racquet could help you in a sense that it'll force you to execute a proper swing. Serves were good, plenty of spin and easy to place the ball. Volleys were crisp and precise. I'm definitely keeping my new RQis1tour in my bag along with my RDS001mid's.
From: John, FL, USA, 08/08
String type and tension: Poly/Multi 58/55

Comments: I have been using the RQiS 1 Tour for 4 weeks (approx.23 hours of play), have changed several types of strings and tensions, and I play on clay court. I would agree with most testers that it is a control frame, but I found that the difference in tension does not change a great deal in control. I suppose that one has to fine tune it to their own liking! Played before with Yonex rackets, does remind me the feel of Super RD Tour 90 (especially the flex) and MP 1 TOUR 90, it has a nice blend of control and power, I am still getting used to it, up to now have not explored the its full potential!
From: Voya, Serbia. 7/08
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Red Code,54-53lbs.

Comments: I love this racquet when volleying. Groundies and everything else was okay, but for me the biggest issue was stability when going for those high-risk shots. I love the control, and lack of power for everything but the serve. It was kind of difficult for me to get used to since I use bigger frames, but not anymore. I think practicing more and more with this racquet will be best. Placement on shots scream this racquet a nice 3 out of 4 for me. [I also found that the paint and whole racquet was very easily damaged, and susceptible to things like scratches and chips, so sad, oh well].
From: Allen, San Diego, CA, USA. 7/08
String type and tension: Wilson Stamina 16, @ 60 lbs
Headsize: 95 sq in

Comments: When I was looking for a new stick, I tried some other head light, player's rackets, like the Flexpoint Prestige, Prince 03 Tour, or the K six-one 95. But when I tried out the RQis 1 tour, I was shocked at how unpopular it was, because it was awesome! It matched what like from a racket, and I like great spin, great control, and great feel. The down side was I had to generate too much of my own power, even with a very powerful Tecnifibre poly. Still, there is no other stick with such a great feel. Check it out!!
From: Walter, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Cananda. 7/08
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Pro red code17 /60 pounds
Headsize: 95sq inches

Comments: I just purchased this racquet without testing it. I had been using RDS 003 midplus 08'. The first day the heavy swing weight threw me off, and I was putting balls in the bottom of the net. I seriously thought I might not be able to handle the racquet, but the second day I took more time to think about my stroke mechanics (and a little lead tape at 9 and 3) and pretty soon I was hitting very deep and accurate shots with heavy spin. You definitely need to take a heavy cut at the ball to generate power, though. I picked up the RDS003 after an hour and took a half dozen shots with it, and I put it right back down. Done with it. I realized that the extra power on the 003 was making my strokes lazy. I don't think you need to be 4.5+ to use this racquet, but you do need to have good mechanics and a full swing.
From: Chris, Brooklyn, NY. 6/08
String type and tension: Hybrid Babolat VS 58lbs/Pro Hurricane 56lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments: I think that's mean of some people to say stuff like "I don't recommend this if you're not a 4.0/4.5, etc" sorry it just gets me really mad. I know that this racquet is suitable to '4.5+' but it also suits some peoples' styles of play, I think. Even for me, I'd say honestly I'm BARELY around a 4.0. I picked up a racquet never knowing how to play tennis last year, and look at me now sitting as the number 6 seed on varsity. I think I couldn't have done it without this stick, though. It let me hit with so much control, and I felt like I could just go for anything--any shot with this racquet. Volleys felt nice and stable. Serving with this racquet was interesting, but I found placement and spin to be the biggest factors of bite. I loved returning, taking big rips at the ball. I'm also kind of a counter puncher, against heavier hitting players, so I found this racquet very interesting--it's very flexible, but I can still easily manage to take that pace and change it up a bit. Maybe it's just me, but the only downside of this racquet is getting exhausted later on in a match. It can really feel like it gets a little heavier, but overall, some conditioning training should work wonders.
From: Phaiun, Houston, TX, USA, 06/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger
Headsize: 95 sq in

Comments: I demoed this racquet, KBlade 98, Head Radical Tour, and Tecnifibre 335. All in all, I liked this racquet best. I like the longer grip for my backhand and the fact that Ana uses it (she's my favorite). I noticed it was very shock absorbing on serves and also very precise. As another reviewer pointed out, it does have a tendency to push wide, but only if you're being lazy.
From: Justin, Salt Lake City, UT, USA. 6/08
NTRP Rating: 4.0-4.5

Comments: This racquet is definitely money, I have quite a bit more control than anything else, that I have tested, and more control then the racquet that I have currently. I am switching to this racquet definitely. However, I must say that it might not be for you, because of how little power that you receive from this racquet. I mean I can take a huge cut on the ball, and it will come at a slower pace than what I am used to, if we are just rallying. I was able to see the differences while I was playing with my hitting partner, and the first thing that I noticed was that he had a lot more time to react, so there is little (and by little I mean none) power, but it struck right, it will be deep and extremely heavy. My approach shots worked much better with this racquet also because of the little power and I could place it as I wished, and when I was ready to hit a winner from the baseline, I would get set, and let it fly knowing that even if I mis-hit it a little, it was still going to go with accuracy. So overall be ready to stay out there for a little longer, and grind, waiting for your opponent to make a mistake, if you are less that a 4.0/4.5, I would not recommend this racquet but to each his/her own.
From: Michael, Louisville, KY, USA. 6/08
String type and tension: Polyester, 57.5

Comments: This racquet is extremely wonderful and great for those with two-handed backhands. The swingweight is very heavy, which I find to help with me using more power and producing better shots. I like the topspin I can put on balls with this racquet very much. It plays very well at net, for those deep and hard volleys. Only downside is that the paint on this racquet does seem to chip very easily, but that is minimal to any player.
From: Daniel, Marshville, VA, USA. 5/08
String type and tension: Synthetic gut, 60 lbs

Comments: My previous racket, the Wilson K Factor six one team, was light and comfortable. I liked the control of it, but I realized that it didn't have enough power. Don't get me wrong, it must have been me not generating enough power. I recently switched to the Yonex RQ iS 1 Tour and so far I love it! The lengthened grip gave me more comfort for my two-handed backhand, since the weight is more on the grip my play was switched making my groundstrokes a little heavy, but I got better at it within two days. Now I hit harder, faster, and with more topspin. My serve also got heavier and faster. I used to be what you would call "Lazy arm." Since the K Factor was so light I had a habit of slacking on my groundstrokes. This racket changed my arm forcing me to hit every ball at my best. I wasn't too consistent with my other racket, but now I can keep the ball in play with lots of control and power. I love this racket! Thank You Tennis Warehouse and to Lleyton Hewitt.
From: Tuan, Fort Smith, AR, USA, 04/08
String type and tension: Hybrid (Poly, Synthetic Gut), 63 lbs.
Headsize: 95 sq. inch

Comments: An extremely comfortable and control-oriented stick.That being said, this racquet is very low on power. I prefer this racquet over my RDS 001 Tour even though the 001 Tour is incredibly more powerful. However, I would pick a low-power racquet that has more comfort and control over a high-power racquet that has less comfort and less control. I want my winners to actually win that point for me and not just look amazingly fast but inaccurate. Overall, good racquet or not all depends on what you want. Definitely do demo this racquet before buying it though because the racquet may be too low-power for you.
From: Dave, San Francisco, CA, USA. 4/08
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU Fluoro 16

Comments: This racquet is absolutely amazing. I've gone through a lot of racquets, but I think this is the one for me. Sure, it has absolutely no power, but if you're a real tennis player and have a training program, you'll be in good enough shape to generate your own pace. The spin this racquet has is absolutely amazing. It's a little bit of a pain to serve with, but if you're a 4.5+, it'll work for you. I actually think that Lleyton Hewitt switched back to the RDS 001, but whatever. I had the RDS 001 mid before, but this is the one for me. Good job, Yonex; you're amazing.
From: Jesse, East Wenatchee, WA, USA, 04/08
String type and tension: Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g @ 60 lbs.

Comments: When I first got on the court with this racket, I'll admit that I was off, but after a couple of hours, I started to get used to it. This racket definitely has a lot of control and is precise enough to put away balls during volleys. Furthermore, if you can generate your own power it will help you hit a lot of winners. This racket was good from both the baseline and the volley zone, and the extra long handle makes it easier for the two-handed backhand. The serves and overheads were easy to place and the power was fair. This racket was very maneuverable but its vibration cut down on its comfort. However, to block the vibration, just add a nice shockbuster on it, and it will eliminate all the impact of the balls. The one thing I found to be bad was the paint job; it looks really nice, but when scratched, the paint chips. Overall, this is my favorite racket yet. If you have solid hits and can generate your own power, this racket is definitely for you!
From: Vince, Los Angeles, California. 4/08
String type and tension: 60 lbs

Comments: Great control and decent spin production. I do not know what these reviewers are talking about either. I was able to get a ton of power with this racquet, no problem. Volleys were very stable and the racquet is pretty maneuverable. One area that could take some time to get used to is extra long grip. It's not a major difference, but on my forehand sometimes it felt a little odd. Otherwise a great racquet.
From: Brian, U.S.A. 3/08

Comments: Incredible combination of pinpoint accuracy, accessible power, and spin. Just a vicious weapon in the right hands. Stock it is good but with a little lead at 9&12 balls just skid off the pavement. It is a sexy and masculine racket, and the long grip is just money for 2hbhers. Hewitt isn't the most liked guy, but style matches the racket. He is a warrior, and this racket is for warriors. I can't describe enough how devastating this thing is on groundstrokes. Every time you hit the ball hard you get a nice crack sound from the frame that makes you want to do it again. A similar feel with the rds 001. It's addictive. Bravo Yonex!!
From: Chris, Washington DC, USA, 03/08
String type and tension: Babolat Pro hurricane hybrid

Comments: I demo'd this racquet and was utterly disappointed. I loved the feeling of just holding the stick, the extra long handle/grip and the balance weight. However, once the stick got to the court, all was lost. Where was the power? The muted shot was too much, there was just an empty feeling when the ball made contact. It is hard to control your shot when you can't feel it. I agree that the paint job is nice and symmetrical, aesthetically it is a plus. But please consider testing out this racquet before you go out and buy it.
From: Jerry, CA, USA. 3/08
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 57 lbs

Comments: Before this racquet I was playing with RDS 001MP. My first experience was pretty good, easier to swing, noticeably more flex, more spin, only less power on backhand. On the second day, I started with my RDS001MP and switched to the RQiS after 1 set, it was pretty bad and I kept hitting wide balls. I switched back to RDS001 and I played OK again. I felt the problem was due to the flex of RQiS, when playing with RDS001MP I tend to hit near the top of the racquet and the flex of RQiS caused the ball went wide when hitting near the top. On the third day, I played only with the RQiS. It was good again; I discover I could hit a more powerful forehand and sometimes backhand (when fully prepared); slice return was less floaty; slice serve was better; and volley was good. Flat serve felt pretty much the same. I find this racquet is good when you work hard with it; I struggled to hit deep (sometimes not even over the net when hitting backhand) when I was not in position early. When playing with RDS001MP I could afford to be a little bit lazy. Overall I like the RQiS more than the RDS001MP.
From: Ken, Singapore. 2/08
String type and tension: Yonex Tough Brid 125,58/57 lbs

Comments: Comments: Very interesting combination of the RDS 001 and the RDX 500. I've gone back and forth between the two, and three days ago I picked up demos of the RQ iS1 and RQ iS2, so had the opportunity to compare all four on the court. Posters here noted the stiffness of the RDS 001 relative to RDX 500 and how it grows on you anyway. The RQ iS 1 combines the soft feel of the RDX 500 with the maneuverability and swing speed of the RDS 001 mid. The RQ iS 2 has more of a trampoline effect, more speed, less control and bigger sweetspot. I would recommend this for people taking up the sport. For my money, Yonex is at the top of its game with these new rackets.
From: Randy, Palm Beach, FL, USA. 2/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger 16,17@50-60

Comments: Simply amazing. I used to use the RDX 500 MP but needed something with more power. The RQ iS definitely made a difference in my playing. It felt great the first day I played with it. Great groundstrokes and great for serving. It swings a tad bit heavier but besides that, this stick is the best.
From: Andy, NJ, USA. 2/08

Comments: I decided to demo this racquet for 5 days as I've heard it was different than my RDS 001 MP. The first day I hit with it things were pretty bad. But, the next 4 days were a complete turnaround. Definitely need to supply your own power with this one. Other than that, this racquet is pretty good. Volleys were solid and I could get some wicked angles off both wings and volleys. Spin was very decent off groundstrokes and serve. Pace on the first serve was the big difference for me. There were definitely some serves that would have been aces with my RDS 001, but my opponent was JUST able to get a racquet on it. The one huge difference for me in favor of the RQ iS 1 was the comfort. The racquet just felt so nice in my hands. As of now I'll stick with the RDS 001 MP, only because of the difference in power is that much more significant. The RDS I think can do just about everything this racquet can do.
From: Giovanni, Philadelphia, PA, USA. 12/07
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic 16

Comments: I loved this stick from the moment I saw it. Bought one without even testing. Nice look and feel, tremendous spin. I've been using it for ten days, but I can see it helped me improve my game already. My shots have more depth now. I can hit corners very easily and I can send the ball where I want to. It needs swing though. Once you swing, the ball goes really deep.
From: Tito, Vancouver, BC, USA, 12/07
String type and tension: Pacific Powerline @ 58 lbs

Comments: I love this racquet. The feel and touch I get from it is absolutely amazing. I'm going to buy 10 of these racquets and use them forever. I don't think I'm ever going to change racquets. I fell in love with this racquet. I play a counter-puncher game and this racquet helps me a lot. I am able to have long rallies without my arm having to tire out or start hurting. This racquet gives me the power I need to keep long rallies up then wait for the moment and the chance I need to rip a ball cross court and get that winner. Serving is impressive with this racquet. I can produce a lot of spin with it. My kick serve, my best serve, has improved so much this racquet. I'm not a big fan of coming up to net because I am afraid of getting pegged LOL. But with the extra inches on the head I can dive for a ball and still get it to hit the strings and go over. And with the bigger sweetspot I am able to get my volleys over the net even though sometimes It's on accident LOL. But overall I am absolutely In love with this racquets!! I've demoed like everything and I dislike it all. If anyone can find a better racquet than this I'll buy them 20 racquets to prove me wrong. This racquet is the best period. Lleyton Hewitt sucks though, VAMOS RAFA!! Nadal should start using this racquet.
From: Tim, Honolulu, HI, USA, 12/07
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Spinfire 17, 65 lbs

Comments: I demoed this racquet, and I think that lower level players could use it, but would not be able to hit powerful groundstrokes with it. It is great for tournament players who know how to supply power to groundstrokes and for players who can use their opponents power to their advantage (counter-punchers). It is a powerful racquet, but lower level players probably won't be able to recognize it because of the soft feel and massive spin.
From: Justin, Houston, TX, USA. 11/07
String type and tension: Wilson NXT and Luxilon Big Banger hybrid 55 lbs.
NTRP Rating: highly ranked junior tournament player

Comments: At first glance, I didn't think this racquet was going to do it for me, but it definitely took me by surprise. The weight was a bit alarming because I normally hit with heavier racquets. However, the swingweight on this stick is rather nice and really is good for counterpunching and aggressive type playing styles. I really felt that I could swing away, and my placement was impeccable when I was going for my shots. Volleys were crisp, and serves had good placement and racquet head speed. My only problem with this racquet is that the sweet spot is a bit small to the point where off framed shots fly when not hit correctly.
From: Tony, Baltimore, MD. 11/07
String type and tension: 60lbs

Comments: This is truly a nice racket, it hit better then the RQIS 2 Tour, and feel much like the Wilson K Factor 90 tour with a bigger sweet spot. This racket can generate a lot of spin as well as power, I have played with different racket, but this is far the best.
From: Charles, San Jose, CA, USA, 10/07
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Ace, hybrid with Gamma TNT 17G 60 LBS

Comments: Awesome stick. Very little if any need for adjustments from my RDS 1... I think Yonex has really got it right! Light but head "heavy" with great swing weight. Only concern is occasional off frame shots due to thicker frame. Great feel with serves, volleys and groundies, especially my backhand. Plan on buying this stick ASAP and would recommend the same for serious players.
From: Armand, Anderson, IN, USA, 09/07
NTRP Rating: 4.5-5.0

Comments: This racquet is very different to the RDS001MP. Stiffer, more powerful, provides a more muted response, gives less feedback, a little less control. On the other hand, it is a little more forgiving on off center shots and when hitting late. Not at all a bad racquet, but I feel I can do more with the ball when using the RDS001.
From: Andrew, New York, NY, USA, 09/07

Comments: Really solid racket. Had a RDS 001 MP and always felt like it was too light. The RQiS 1 has similar specs on weight and balance point but the distribution of weight is different since swingweight is higher with the RQiS. For me this is a very good thing as this racket is rock solid on all strokes. Control is great; I can hit deep groundstrokes all day long. Serves are no problem; still really head light so snap on serves is really easy.
From: Anon, CA, USA, 09/07
String type and tension: Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase 17g @ 60lbs

Comments:Very close feel to the RDX 500 MP with a bit more weight and a little better balance. My sticks were extended by .5 inch and weighted up to 12.1 oz. unstrung so a little non-conventional, but balance point was kept the same. I am thrilled with this stick. Good power, good pocketing and that firm smooth Yonex feel with some reasonably better power. All and all, a homerun for Yonex along w/RPNY's mod's. Great stick.
From: Ryan, Overland Park, KS, USA, 09/07
String type and tension: Poly/Gut 58lbs

Comments: I bought the RQis (Tour 2), companion to the Tour 1, blind as soon as it hit the shelf. I can't speak for the Tour 1 but the T2 has no place for feedback yet so I will post here for now. I have played with Yonex for about 25 years and the Tour 2 is great. The first stick I owned was a graphite Yonex when graphite was just coming out and this new stick is awesome. Coming from an Aero Blast, and then a head metallix 2 I just could not get used to anything else but a Yonex. This racquet has a stiff feel yet has the feel of snap that is superb and the head shape is unconventional for Yonex because of the semi-round shape but isometric top of the head is still present and the "snap" effect and perfect weight and balance allows one to really put sizzle on the ball with so much control that my wife is hating it. I can rip backhands down the line with unbelievable accuracy and my serve has the sting in it again that I was missing. The stick is not heavy but has just enough weight to really put some sizzle on the ball. Slicing and spin is effortless. There is no other stick better than the new RQis Tour 2; if I could have had a racquet custom made to my own specs this would have been the result. And the quality is what everyone who knows Yonex has come to expect from them. If you want the best players racquet on the market today you owe it to yourself to take one of these for a test drive.
From: Tony, Houston, TX, USA, 09/07
String type and tension: Kirschbaum 17 gauge, 62lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.5+

Comments: The racquet stock is pretty light weight yet has a nice swing weight to it doesn't feel heavy but not light, even with poly you still get a really nice pop off the string bed to me. I have both the RDS001 mid and the Yonex rqis1 tour and to be the Rq plays just like the RDS but with a bigger head and more power, its very crisp and responsive and I believe would do fairly well in tournament play
From: Sean, Redondo Beach, CA, 09/07