Wilson Six.One 95 (16x18) Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I'm a 4.5 player and have been looking at these racquets on and off for years, as I used to play with the Prince Precision Equipe 95, Prince's copy of the 6.1 95. Coming from the Dunlop 4D100, this is definitely a more powerful, forgiving, and stable frame. My goal was to find more spin and power, and the 6.1 95 delivers on both fronts without any apparent loss of control. The Wilson will likely end up in a rotation with the Boris Becker London Tour, because I am sure there are days on which I'll want a softer feel. The two racquets are polar opposites. That said, the 6.1 95 has more pop and spin than the Becker as well, though the Becker is equally forgiving. Who knows? Perhaps I've found the "one" and I'll put all my other racquets away because I'll have so much success with the Wilson. Too early to tell, but I'm having fun so far and my usual hitting partners have commented on the additional pop. Strings and tension: Proline X 17 mains/Gosen AK Pro CX 17 crosses at 55 lbs.
From: Kurt, 9/14

Comments: I am a 4.0 player who was using the BLX Blade 98, but was getting some elbow issues. One day when the elbow really hurt, I grabbed the heaviest racquet my club had handy, to absorb the shock and give my elbow a break. It was the 6.1 95 16x18. A good bit heavier than the Blade, and less powerful, so I figured I would have trouble handling it. But it is so headlight, I was swinging faster. I really saw this on volleys and hard shots hit right at me. Even though the Blade was lighter, I was getting the 6.1 to the ball faster. I feel like I have gained more control, but haven't lost any power (faster swing negates the power loss), plus I am quicker on volleys. And I can play with a full bed of poly (Alu Power at 50lbs) and my elbow is fine. Win, win, win and win.
From: Bob, 6/14

Comments: Having been a fairly competent player and getting back into playing tennis, I have been trying out a few racquets. Always been a fan of heavier racquets I tried the ProStaff 90 (12 oz) this just got me very interested in Wilson as a whole. I have never played with a Wilson, and it was really just by chance I tried the Pro Staff 90. I struggled a bit with the 90 square inch headsize, so the next plan was the SixOne 95, and the 16x18 for a bit extra spin sounded good on paper. Anyway, this racquet is simply superb. If you are an advanced player, and looking for a proper racquet, this is it. One can add some real pace and power to your serve, and the groundstroke finishing power is impressive. A gem at the net -- just nothing but fantastic. The balance is also quite interesting -- strongly head light and quick in the hands, other heavier racquets are not headlight, and you can feel the heavy head after a set or so. Try this racquet -- I'm really impressed.
From: Dominic, 3/14

Comments: I'm a 5.0 level player, but older now and have tended toward tweener racquets, including the Wilson spin models, but I don't like the feel. I thought the Six.One 95 would be too heavy, but surprised at how manueverable it was. Tried both 16x18 and 18x20 string patterns -- my slice backhand was slightly better on the later, but overall preferred the more open string pattern because I got more power and pop. Tried the racquet with both X-1 Biphase (56 lbs) and RPM Blast 18 (52 lbs) and really enjoyed the RPM blast.

Comments: I purchased one of these blind as the overall weight, flex, and head size were close to my KF Pro Tours, which have a tight string pattern. This 6.1 18x16 is more evenly balanced in comparison, and 17 gauge Volkl Cyclone feels more rubbery at 50 pounds. I think that using 16 gauge will give a crisper feel and maybe slightly more resistance and bite. Will try 16 gauge Luxilon or Ripspin at 52-54 next. Overall, this racquet is very plush due to the open string pattern. Although it has slightly lower static weight than my Pro Tours, it feels heftier due to 6 point hl balance compared to 10-12 hl balance. I think this racket could be customized for those who play with the normal 12.2 oz 6.1 95, such as injecting silicon into the handle (though this racquet does not need any extra damping). In fact, the frame seems so plush that I don't use a dampener. My final conclusion is that if you are currently using a tight string pattern but can still get tons of top spin because you brush up on the ball, you don't need to buy the open string pattern but can stay with the tighter string patterns and have more flexibility in terms of choosing strings and tension.
From: Kimbal, 12/13

Comments: Awesome, awesome racquet. As one of the guys mentioned below, it has that great stable feel of the older frames but with enhanced playability. It's got great heft but plays faster and maneuvers much quicker than previous versions. The plow through is remarkable and plushness is incredible. Being a 6.1 user before, the parallel drilling does offer a sweeter feel and added pop. Serves and volleys is where this version really shines. Touch, pace, and spin are easily accessible. Ground strokes: 9.0; slice: 10; topspin: 8.5; volleys: 9.5; serves: 9.0; returns: 8.5
From: Money, 11/13

Comments: Compared with my old Pro Staff BLX 95, this new version did not feel right for me. I switched strings from synthetic (came with the racquet) to Solinco Tour Bite 18 to a Hybrid and none worked out. Racquet felt dead, power was on only when you hit at dead center, spins were minimal. I'm sticking with my old Pro Staff Blx.
From: Tim, 11/13

Comments: I must disagree with the previous post. I am actually very pleased with this new iteration of the Six.One 95. The ones I ordered were right on specs (in all fairness, I did take advantage of the matching service) -- once strung (53 lbs with full bed of Babolat natural gut 17g), right at 350g and 10 points head light. Very maneuverable. The Amplifeel technology seems to have been tweaked to not deaden the feel as much as the 2012 version. The racquet seems a little bit more powerful, but that may be due to the fact that the frames I have been playing with (the 2010 black and red version) are older and may have gotten a little mushy. I could not tell whether the parallel drilling feature makes a difference but maybe some power came from there. The pop was most noticable on my volleys -- easy plow through on all strokes. In sum, it seems to have the best attributes of the old KFactor version and the 2010 BLX version -- I could not be more pleased.

Comments: This is the first iteration of the Wilson Six.One 95 that I actually had to return. I absolutely love the 6.1 95 line. The racquet feels heavy, slow, and the weight balance is shifted toward the head, contrary to the 10HL stated and that of past versions. If you like a particular lineage of racquets, then it certainly comes down to feel for each new version, but this one is off by spec. If you prefer a slower swinging, more dampened feel, and less headlight version -- the 2014 model is your new stick.

Comments: This racquet comes with a synthetic grip, so I changed it to a leather grip. I like the racquet. It's very well balanced. Since it's 10pts HL, it's very maneuverable. Serve: flat 8/10; kick 9/10. Forehand and backhand: power 9/10; top spin: 8/10; underspin: 10/10; touch/drop shot: 9/10. Volleys: 9/10. Sometimes I felt too much power from this racquet. So I added 3grams of lead tape to 12o'clock to get it polarized. Strung the mains at 51 lbs with gut 16g and the crosses at 46 lbs with Cyber Flash 17g. Next time I will string the mains at 53 lbs and crosses at 50 lbs for less power.
From: Peter, 11/13

Comments: I just demoed this racquet and overall, it feels pretty good. The stringbed gives a nice response and feel, and the racquet feels rock solid as all other 6.1 95s from Wilson have. But I am not sure I feel a whole lot of benefit from the "parallel drilling" technology. It is also hard to see any difference in what the grommet holes look like from any other racquet so maybe this parallel drilling is something more internal inside the frame. But the one thing with this frame is that the balance feels less head light than the 2010 BLX 95 16x18, the black and red one. I am particular when it comes to balance and how headlight a racquet is. Even though the specs say it is very headlight and should be similar to previous versions, it does not feel as headlight to me. It is more similar in balance to the K Factor version and the 2012 BLX 95, the red and white one. I was a much bigger fan of the nCode 6.1 95 16x18 and the 2010 BLX 95 16x18, which I still presently use. Those two feel to me to have more similar headlight balances, whereas this new version is more similar in balance to the KFactor and 2012 BLX 95. At least that is what it feels like to me. In all other respects though, this is still a nice solid frame that gives good control and feel.

Wilson Six.One 95 (16x18) Racquets - Where to go from here