Ashaway MonoGut ZX 16 String Natural 360 Reel Customer feedback

Comments: I think there must be some sort of formula switch with this string. I bought/used and liked this string I bought about a year ago. I bought a new pack and it plays nothing like the so called same string as the one I just purchased. Same racquet combination, same tension but plays and feels no where close to the older one. I cut out these strings I did as a hybrid with gut. That was a mistake. Too stiff and plastic feeling. I was afraid I would get tennis elbow or should problems with this string after reading the review two below mine (from David). Sorry I have to give this a thumbs down vote. If this is a new formula, please bring out the old formula version.

Comments: I played with this string in a two different racquets and the first one was a BLX Pro Staff 95 as a cross with XCel 17 and it was ok. Then I tried it in a Pro Staff 95S as a main and it felt horrible. It feels too plastic and stiff and my sensitive elbow didn't like the strings at all. I did cut it out the next day. I can't see where it feels like a gut -- it's not even close. I don't recommend buying this string.
From: Evan, 9/14

Comments: This is the worst string ever. It broke while tying the knot on the mains. What I had left over I used for the crosses. I used Lux Alu for the mains. The ashaway monogut cut through the Lux Alu in 3 days and I hit mostly flat. I also lost about 10 lbs on from the Monogut and it gave the racquet s super dead feel or what others would say soft. Now because the Lux was so much tighter than the Lux there was more vibration but not in a normal way. The extra stress from the dead Monogut gave me arm problems. I have used other "Zyex" tennis strings before and this Ashaway monogut makes all Zyex strings look bad.
From: Coach V, 4/14

Comments: I played with this string for a month, strung it twice at 55 lbs mains and 50 lbs crosses on a 95 18x20 string pattern with a 62 RA. It gave me good spin, but it felt kinda stiff. I thought it was stiff because of of advanced opponets, but I got the worst tennis elbow I ever got in my life. I'm writing this review after having tennis elbow for over 9 weeks. Do not buy this string if you think it's going to be good on the elbow. I played with rough polys like LUX rough, snake bite, and others strung at 58 lbs and it did not give me this type of issue. If you are going to buy this string, string it at high 40s lbs or lower. Be careful of this string. I am a 4.5 player,and I play about 4 times per week.

Comments: This string is revolutionary. You should try to pre-stretch it before you use it. It is simply amazing.
From: Fred, 4/14

Comments: I bought two sets of strings based on their amazing physical metrics. On paper, in terms of physical properties (stiffness, etc.) they seemed to be the closest thing to gut. However, in the real world, they felt horrible. The stringer told me those were some of the stiffest strings he had ever strung. After playing for 30 minutes, I decided to cut my losses short and cut them and return to my standard Technifibre X-Biphase 16 gauge. If you like any of such "soft" playing strings that play gut like, you will most probably hate this ZX strings. It plays completely differently. It feels stiffer. It has a disturbing high metallic sound. When I played during the same practice session with my Technifibre X-Biphase, the contrast was brutal. There was no doubt, I had to replace the ZX with the X-Biphase immediately. I am really puzzled on how a string can look so good on objective physical metrics (low stiffness like gut). But, actually feel, play, and sound just the opposite is beyond me. My take is that the physical metrics capture one thing. And, they miss out a lot. In other words, don't just buy strings based on excellent metrics as I have. The latter provides you either flawed or incomplete information.
From: Guy, 11/13

Comments: Too much vibration with these strings. Need to be used with higher tensions (close to 60 lbs), but they aren't designed to be strung at the high tensions (difficult to string it at 58 lbs and higher). Durable, holds tension well, good balance for all types of strokes. It isn't very efficient in terms of developing of spin. I cannot recommend these.
From: Bedrock, 10/13

Comments: Fantastic string! This is the second feedback after April, 2013. Now I hybrid ZX on the crosses with a soft co-poly on the main. My favorites are 17ga YTex Pro-Tour and 17g Topspin Cyber Blue. These hybrids are phenomenal in their performance characteristics such as feel, comfort, power, control, durability, etc. Tension retention seems to be quite good when properly handled. ZX is a highly elastic string. It stretches while being pulled, you are gonna have to pull three times or more making sure stretching has stopped. Therefore, stringing will be more time consuming than other type, but it's worthwhile. Now I have four of my customers on MonoGut ZX.

Comments: This string plays amazing as a cross string. I was playing with some unknown super soft synthetic and it killed all the feel and touch from my K90 racquets, something I thought no string could do, so I cut that out in three days. Then I tried this string and it feels better than LaserFibre string (if anyone remembers the brand), it seems that the string is best as a hybrid and not a full bed, tension maintenace so far seems great, but I've only hit three hours with it.

Comments: I strung this at 55/53 lbs in a modified Pure Storm GT using an electronic CP machine following Ashaway's detailed instructions to avoid breakage during installation. It's a very comfortable string with a feel similar to a very soft co-poly or stiff multi. However, it's also very powerful and offers very little control or feel. After a month of testing I came to the conclusion that other strings offer far more control and more spin with the same power for the same or lower price. The string is simply too erratic in performance compared to strings in the same price range.
From: Tim, 6/13

Comments: Fantastic string. It has it all. Power, ball pocketing, arm friendliness, durability, to name a few. I think it's wrong to compare this with a poly. The elongation is like a soft multi, yet the durability is close to a poly. I first tried MonoGut ZX full bed on my Microgel Radical OS and it feels weird. Then I used it on the mains with Isospeed Control Classic 16 on the crosses. Now it's a million dollar hybrid. There is one caveat though! You have to double or triple pull since the string keeps relaxing during stringing. Ashaway acknowledges it. I would recommend every serious tennis player should try it out. I am a 3.5- 4.0 doubles player and a USRSA certified stringer.

Comments: I like this string. It is soft on the arm, powerful, good spin, does not need straightening, and holds tension. Plays a bit like a poly but also very soft and powerful.
From: Downunder, 3/13

Comments: Be sure you are commenting on the Zyex Monogut, rather than the Monogut. There is a big difference. The Zyex Monogut is softer and has better feel. It's a great string, though more expensive than the Monogut. Zyex Monogut has nearly the durability of polys and impressive feel. I string it at 54 lbs and it plays very similar to natural gut. The only strings that play as well and are not natural gut are Wilson NXT and Tecnifibre Biphase. The Zyex Mongut lasts 3 times as long as either.
From: G.T.M., 12/12

Comments: I like this string a lot but why do the crosses move in both directions (up and down). The verticals never move. I've been stringing for 30 years while never experiencing this phenomenon with any other string. I can't find an explanation anywhere on the internet.

Comments: To me, this string played like any soft poly. Very, very similar to a Polyfibre or MSV string. I have a wrist injury and I need a soft string bed, I was hoping for a nice control string that didn't make my wrist hurt. Ashaway Monogut is not it. To mention the word "gut" in the description of this string, should be criminal.
From: Bud, 3/12