Ashaway MonoGut ZX 16 String Natural Reel Customer feedback

Comments: This string is revolutionary. You should try to pre-stretch it before you use it. It is simply amazing.
From: Fred, 4/14

Comments: I bought two sets of strings based on their amazing physical metrics. On paper, in terms of physical properties (stiffness, etc.) they seemed to be the closest thing to gut. However, in the real world, they felt horrible. The stringer told me those were some of the stiffest strings he had ever strung. After playing for 30 minutes, I decided to cut my losses short and cut them and return to my standard Technifibre X-Biphase 16 gauge. If you like any of such "soft" playing strings that play gut like, you will most probably hate this ZX strings. It plays completely differently. It feels stiffer. It has a disturbing high metallic sound. When I played during the same practice session with my Technifibre X-Biphase, the contrast was brutal. There was no doubt, I had to replace the ZX with the X-Biphase immediately. I am really puzzled on how a string can look so good on objective physical metrics (low stiffness like gut). But, actually feel, play, and sound just the opposite is beyond me. My take is that the physical metrics capture one thing. And, they miss out a lot. In other words, don't just buy strings based on excellent metrics as I have. The latter provides you either flawed or incomplete information.
From: Guy, 11/13

Comments: Too much vibration with these strings. Need to be used with higher tensions (close to 60 lbs), but they aren't designed to be strung at the high tensions (difficult to string it at 58 lbs and higher). Durable, holds tension well, good balance for all types of strokes. It isn't very efficient in terms of developing of spin. I cannot recommend these.
From: Bedrock, 10/13

Comments: Fantastic string! This is the second feedback after April, 2013. Now I hybrid ZX on the crosses with a soft co-poly on the main. My favorites are 17ga YTex Pro-Tour and 17g Topspin Cyber Blue. These hybrids are phenomenal in their performance characteristics such as feel, comfort, power, control, durability, etc. Tension retention seems to be quite good when properly handled. ZX is a highly elastic string. It stretches while being pulled, you are gonna have to pull three times or more making sure stretching has stopped. Therefore, stringing will be more time consuming than other type, but it's worthwhile. Now I have four of my customers on MonoGut ZX.

Comments: This string plays amazing as a cross string. I was playing with some unknown super soft synthetic and it killed all the feel and touch from my K90 racquets, something I thought no string could do, so I cut that out in three days. Then I tried this string and it feels better than LaserFibre string (if anyone remembers the brand), it seems that the string is best as a hybrid and not a full bed, tension maintenace so far seems great, but I've only hit three hours with it.

Comments: I strung this at 55/53 lbs in a modified Pure Storm GT using an electronic CP machine following Ashaway's detailed instructions to avoid breakage during installation. It's a very comfortable string with a feel similar to a very soft co-poly or stiff multi. However, it's also very powerful and offers very little control or feel. After a month of testing I came to the conclusion that other strings offer far more control and more spin with the same power for the same or lower price. The string is simply too erratic in performance compared to strings in the same price range.
From: Tim, 6/13

Comments: Fantastic string. It has it all. Power, ball pocketing, arm friendliness, durability, to name a few. I think it's wrong to compare this with a poly. The elongation is like a soft multi, yet the durability is close to a poly. I first tried MonoGut ZX full bed on my Microgel Radical OS and it feels weird. Then I used it on the mains with Isospeed Control Classic 16 on the crosses. Now it's a million dollar hybrid. There is one caveat though! You have to double or triple pull since the string keeps relaxing during stringing. Ashaway acknowledges it. I would recommend every serious tennis player should try it out. I am a 3.5- 4.0 doubles player and a USRSA certified stringer.

Comments: I like this string. It is soft on the arm, powerful, good spin, does not need straightening, and holds tension. Plays a bit like a poly but also very soft and powerful.
From: Downunder, 3/13

Comments: Be sure you are commenting on the Zyex Monogut, rather than the Monogut. There is a big difference. The Zyex Monogut is softer and has better feel. It's a great string, though more expensive than the Monogut. Zyex Monogut has nearly the durability of polys and impressive feel. I string it at 54 lbs and it plays very similar to natural gut. The only strings that play as well and are not natural gut are Wilson NXT and Tecnifibre Biphase. The Zyex Mongut lasts 3 times as long as either.
From: G.T.M., 12/12

Comments: I like this string a lot but why do the crosses move in both directions (up and down). The verticals never move. I've been stringing for 30 years while never experiencing this phenomenon with any other string. I can't find an explanation anywhere on the internet.

Comments: To me, this string played like any soft poly. Very, very similar to a Polyfibre or MSV string. I have a wrist injury and I need a soft string bed, I was hoping for a nice control string that didn't make my wrist hurt. Ashaway Monogut is not it. To mention the word "gut" in the description of this string, should be criminal.
From: Bud, 3/12