Zepp Tennis Sensor & Racquet Mount Customer feedback

Comments: I have used the Zepp Sensor for about 6 months. It was a little clunky to start with. The software updates didn't always work smoothly. With each software update, the product did improve however. More features (eg. 3D serve analysis), racquet ball hit position etc, and better accuracy with recording shots and shot type. Unfortunately, after 6 months of use, the Zepp sensor has now died. It won't turn on. It was good while it lasted, but I sense the company hasn't quite worked out the quality control issues as yet. The new Sony Smart Tennis Sensor and the Babolat Play look like options worth exploring.
From: Beven, 8/14

Comments: I was an "early adapter" to this product and bought one when it first came out straight from Zepp. I've used it for all 3 sports (tennis, golf and baseball). It works much better for the other two sports than it does tennis IMO. The first few months when I used it, it would register 2 serves for every 10 I hit. Not sure how the algorithms can't figure out 90 degrees difference in positioning. Once I did the updates, the service mode works pretty well. It registers about 7 of ever 10 I hit. It will give you a rendering of your swing plane that you can spin 360 degrees and overhead. This is what the golf and baseball apps are all about. This is the only reason I use this now. I also own the Babolat Play and have put the Zepp on it to compare. Not even close! If I hit 300 balls in a session, the Zepp might record 100 of them. The sweet spot indicator on the Zepp is way off too! It'll say I have hit 9% in the sweet spot when the Play will say 57%. I'm not the greatest ball striker, but that's a pretty drastic delta. The good news is, if you get it to work, you can play with any racquet that fits your style. You don't notice the gel butt-cap holder if you wrap the overgrip on top of it.

Comments: I was pretty skeptical of the mounting system, because it seemed that the silicone over-the-butt-cap holder would put the unit in the way of everything, but it's just about as close to unnoticeable as it can be -- and I hang my little finger off the bottom of the butt cap on my serve. Maybe it helps that I put my over grip on top of the holder. First day, I broke the session up into warm-up, drills, set one, set two, set three, etc., although this was in part to see how well the Zepp sensor communicated with my iPhone. It worked every time. I then noticed that the impact locations weren't showing up, and some of the on-screen buttons weren't working correctly. I received notification that there was a firmware update, which went perfectly, and afterwards somehow all my data started appearing in the app, and the buttons worked as expected. I'd love to put this on a Babolat Play to compare the data, but not having a Babolat Play at my disposal any longer, I can say that the Zepp sensor is impressive. First, I like the fact that it allows you to use any racquet. My racquets are a lot heavier (and with a lot higher swing weight) than a Pure Drive, so even if the price was comparable, the Zepp is the better unit for my needs. Second, I like that there's one button instead of the two on the Babolat Play. You turn it on, you turn it off, you wake it up -- pretty simple. One button is plenty. Third, I like the status light array. The lights march one way when turning on, the other way when turning off, and there are other sequences for other modes. Very nice. The app displays data clearly, and it's easy to get to the screen/page you're seeking. A couple things the Zepp Sensor doesn't have that the Babolat Play does: 1) the "social" connection with out Zepp sensor users, 2) the ability to connect using your computer/browser via USB, and 3) the ability to download your data. None of these are a big deal for me, however. I can see how it might be nice to share data with others (such as coaches), but the Zepp sensor downloads to my iPhone without drama so I don't feel the need to have the USB data connection as a backup. The only thing I've found that I don't like is the "pro" holder that sticks to the butt cap. It looks impressive, but the Zepp sensor flies out on impact about every ten shots (for me, at least), so I've had to resort to taping the sensor into the pro mount to retain it during play. If this is the first generation of this technology, I can't wait to see what the future holds. Also, the Zepp sensor has one feature not found in the Babolat Play: The serve practice mode. Normally, you use it in training mode, but you can switch to serve mode and hit a bunch of serves. The app will then show you a 3D representation of your service motion. Who needs a video camera and analysis software when you have the data straight from the racquet?
From: Greg, 6/14