Yonex VCORE Tour 89 Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: This is a solid frame but I didn't experience any resemblance to the Pro Staff line, as others have claimed. The balance and proportions of this frame are completely different from the Pro Staff line. I've played with Pro Staffs, primarily the 85 and 90, for years. This Yonex feels more like a Head Prestige than anything else. The unique boxed/oval head shape makes the sweet spot very large for a 89" frame. There's an enormous amount of control but the overall weight and balance of the frame weren't my preference. It's somewhat light although the feel is solid on contact. The balance of the frame is probably my least favorite aspect of it. It feels long. The grip is long as is the throat, giving an unbalanced feel compared to a Pro Staff or Prestige, for example. I found the VCore 330G to be a much better balanced and solid feeling frame. Perhaps a larger grip size and some weight would change my views of this 89. Both are definitely worth a demo.
From: Jonathan, 6/14

Comments: I have played with almost every single Head Youtek Racquet, as well as Wilson Prostaff Six.One 90, Prince Rebel 95, Babolat Pure Storm Tour, Babolat AeroPro Drive GT, Babolat Pure Drive Plus and standard, and a few other racquets I don't remember. But this racquet right here after 4 years of playing and obsessing over being perfect in form and hitting and finding the racquet that hits like I love, this racquet is the one I settled on. I almost sold them but after buying new strings and messing with the tensions I got it fixed and am loving my play style and game now to keep training and playing.
From: Steven, 6/14

Comments: Much has been said already and as many others, I have tried more than 20 racquets, from Volkl PB10Mid, to Wilson, Babolat, Head, Technifibre. For some reason I always choose the Dunlop 200 line as my standard, I have played with every 200 they issued (95 square inches). Now Yonex Vcore T89: indeed it feels like a 93, but then again, do I feel a difference with a 95? No! Does it play as comfy as my dunlop AG 200? Yes, just as comfy. Is it more powerful? Yes it is! More than the Prestige Mid. Is it more fun? Yes it is! Do I get tired cause of its small size after playing for an hour? No, I hit balls better with less effort. Let's say this, usually when I played a bad match, I used to think maybe I have to change my racquet. Now when I play bad, I think, wow this stick is fun to play with! Would love to have six of them, but then again I only need two actually at my level.
From: Sjoerd, 4/14

Comments: Best racquet ever! It creates mass amounts of spin great for kick serves, which makes opponents look amateur. I have it strung with Gamma TNT at 57 pounds and use Babolat string savers. I'm a 5.5 and haven't lost since I bought this racquet.
From: Derrick, 3/14

Comments: I'm a solid 4.0 player and this is definitely for advanced players (at least 4.5 level or above). It does play like the Wilson 85 Pro Staff, but a tad lighter. Low power, small sweet spot, stiff. But if you hit correctly, it's sweet. I'll lower my string tension to 45 lbs or less if I use poly. I wonder what it would play like with all gut (too pricey for me). I'm using Yonex Poly Pro Tour 17g at 46 lbs in the mains and Weiss Cannon Explosive 16g at 50 lbs in the crosses.
From: Huan, 1/14

Comments: If you can swing an 89 inch racquet you will love this frame! The swing speed is amazing, accuracy is all that! My choice of string is Genisis Hexsonic 18ga strung at 54 lbs.

Comments: I was a former Division 1 player who left the game for a long period. I started playing again and have demo'd probably 15 frames and took over a month to do so. I liked feel of some of the newer frames such as the Head Youtek Speed Pro and the Wilson Blade, but I couldn't control the power from these frames. I hit with topsin but not like todays game and the balls were less than a foot out, but still out. Serving was not an issue. I had settled on the Head Prestige Mid or the new Babolat Strike until I hit this frame. This is the closest feeling racquet to my old trusty Pro Staff 85 that I have found. It is for sure more powerful, but I had no issue keeping balls in play and it is great off both wings and with either topspin or slice. Volleys and serves are excellent and have power and control. The head size didnt bother me and the sweetspot seems huge for the frame. It may not be a racquet for "todays" game as the trend seems to be larger racquets strung with poly at low tensions, but it seems to be perfect for the game I built growing up and enjoy playing. I highly recommend this frame.
From: Doug, 11/13

Comments: I demo'd this frame based on its specs. What a disappointment. It felt impotent and shuddered every time I struck the ball. Staying with my Wilson 6.1 95.

Comments: Update. After almost selling the racquet because I couldn't generate the spin, pop or stick I was used, I went through a final rigorous string setup test. I settled on a hybrid of Wilson Ripspin 16 (white) in the mains and Pacific Premium Power X in the crosses. Both at 23 kg (50.6 lbs). I polished up my strokes and now understand what the racquet needs to perform. Everything fell into place and for the first time in a very long time I feel confident on every stroke.
From: Jevon, 11/13

Comments: I've been using a slightly modified Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 Tour for the last couple of years. As long as I have time to setup (for a stroke) and recover (after a 2 hour training session) this racquet worked out pretty well. When playing frequently (2-3 days in a row) against bigger ball bashers (5.0 and up), I would start to feel sluggish and slow after the 45-60 minutes. I didn't want to "blame" the racquet and decided to work on my fitness and strength. It helped, but not enough. The search was on for a more maneuverable racquet without losing too much plow through or ball heaviness. I tested the Volkl Power Bridge Mid, but couldn't get used to the squishy butt cap. What a great serving racquet though! The Volkl C10 Pro was too powerful for me. I really liked the Head Youtek IG Prestige Pro -- but my volleys weren't solid at all. In fact the racquet got pushed around a bit. The Head Youtek IG Extreme Pro 2.0 was too light. The racquet that spec-wise would fit the bill was the Yonex VCore Tour 89. I wanted to test it first, but I got a great offer that I didn't have the time to turn down. The first day out on the court I thought"Oh, no what have I done!?" I was shanking the balls frequently on groundstrokes and couldn't get my serve over the net at first. Volleys and touch volleys were a dream. On the second day I shanked far less balls. I served well, but nothing special. By the third (straight) day and 6+ hours with the racquet, I can say that I have found my racquet. I might replace the original grip for a leather one, but things are working out very well as is. I now notice that the 89 sq. in. head size does indeed feel bigger. Groundstrokes are pretty powerful. The upper part of the string bed seems very lively. Slices are good enough. My volleys have never been this good. Serving is pretty precise and so far, very consistent. I don't feel nearly as sluggish as before and can play longer and more frequently. I haven't had paint chipping issues yet. It's a beautiful stick. Very stable, yet less arm friendly than my 4D 200 Tours. But out all the racquets tested, the best fit for my game. It might help yours too. But try (extensively) first. I have an all-round game, with a 1-handed backhand.
From: Jevon, 9/13

Comments: Previously I bought the VCore Tour 97 (light) out of curiosity. Had it customized to the strung weight of 12.7 oz, 4 pt hl, and sw of 316. This was done between dissatisfaction of the stock spec and waiting for the arrival of the Vcore Tour 89 in the mail. The altered result of the 97 is fantastic. Then the 89 arrived. The 89, what can I say? Rock solid. Very assured shots. I agree with the play-testers' general comments. After the 97, the 89 does feel small. The spin window is smaller on this racquet than the 97. As a result stroke production would favour flatter shots over spinnier ones whether topspin or slice in comparison to the 97. To ease the transition to this racket, I had it customized to 12.7 oz from its stock strung weight of 12.1 oz. Unfortunately the swing weight 335 could not be reduced, so could not improve the maneuverability. Overall, comparing to the 97 light customized, I feel a tad slower coming around the ball, although the ball contact feels supremely more solid and stable. Did not feel any distortion or twisting of the frame comparing the larger head-size. I think a tad less swing weight which can allow the user to alter would make this slightly less sluggish. Overall awesome racquet.
From: GS, 6/13

Comments: I recently tried this as a demo racquet to compare it with my current 2010 Wilson BLX Six One 95. My game is old style, flat shots with little topspin and continental grip on almost all shots and serves. I found that this racquet provides excellent control and accuracy on groundstrokes and serves compared to Six One 95. It also provided the same power as my Six One 95. It has more power than the Pro Staff Six One 90 for sure, as I have tried and compared them both. I have played with heavy, small head racquets for most of my tennis years. And I was almost ready to give up on playing with smaller head racquets until I found this one. This racquet gives you the best of both, small head for accuracy and control and enough power. At the same time it is less heavy than Pro Staff 90 for extended play so you don't get tired. I am considering to make a switch or add this to my racquet bag. Thanks to all the folks at TW for an excellent demo program.
From: Dushyant, 5/13

Comments: Some after-thoughts. Played with it stock without the lead I had put on. I have adjusted very well. Seems to work best with semi-western forehand and a one handed backhand. Difficult for me to use with more conservative grips like eastern forehand. Pluses: fast, strong, precise topspin play both wings, serve, volley. Neutral: blockes shot, stoppers. Still struggling: those heavenly slices alla Wilson K90.
From: A.F.K., 4/13

Comments: Great racquet! I do not have problems with the sweetspot and hardly hit shots with the frame. I added a leather grip and lead in the hoop to meet 340g. I string with ALU Power Rough mains and Isospeed Control crosses at 22/23 kgs, which is the best setup I have ever tried. I played with the Fischer Vacuum Pro and Head Prestige Mid before.
From: Niki, 2/13

Comments: I demo'ed this racquet twice in the past three weeks and I'm extremely impressed. This was kind of a throw-in with the racquet I wanted to demo and I didn't expect much, but after about two weeks of hitting I really love this racquet. I've never had a racquet where I feel like I can put the ball anywhere on the court. It lacks some power but I can make up for it with my size at 6'3" and 215 pounds. It has more spin than the Head Youtek IG Prestige Mid because of the open string pattern, which I like. I've decided to purchase this racquet. After demo'ing five racquets in the past two months this is by far the best racquet for me.
From: Brandon, 1/13

Comments: Whoever designed the racquet must have had the old ProStaff feel in mind. It feels like a modern version of the ProStaff 85. Everything is amazing. Period.
From: Hari, 1/13

Comments: Truly an amazing stick and the best mid ever produced. It's so solid and sweet on every shot, fast and manuevrable at net, and precise on serves and returns.
From: Ahmed, 12/12

Comments: This is a really great frame. It has great power and directional control on the serve, although on groundstrokes you do have to stay focused. The TW reviews hit it on the head. I ordered three and let me warn you about the really poor finish on the paint. Any form of incidental contact with anything, including the other frames in the bag, will chip the paint in large flecks off these sticks. Very surpising from Yonex, since they usually have the finish of their racquet dialed in.
From: Don, 11/12
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Spiky Shark @ 60 lbs

Comments: Overall, this is an outstanding racquet. My only gripe is the flimsy grip that comes with it and the fact that Yonex does not sell replacement grips for any of its racquets. Yonex only sells overgrips (Yonex Super Grap), which, by the way, are awesome.
String type and tension: Yonex Tour Super Pro 850 @ 60 lbs

Comments: Simply amazing feel and control. I agree with Harvey when he says this is the modern successor of the Pro Staff 85. It feels so sweet to hit with this frame, but unlike the Pro Staff 85, this one is somehow forgiving when hitting off- center. I've found that this racquet is superb when playing with a western grip, not only for great topspin access but also for super powerful and deep flat strokes. When I used an Eastern forehand, most balls would fly low into the net, so you have to adjust as with any racquet. Control is as superb as feel. My favorite shot with this racquet is the sliced backhand as it leaves the racquet in a straight and super fast line that barely clears the net. In one set I've played so far I left my opponent standing still thinking that my slice would go straight into the net top, but barely clearing it and landing deep into the other side. Genius design is all I can say. I can't wait to get my second one for my birthday in December.
From: Enrique, 10/12
String type and tension: Prince Topspin 15L @ 65lbs

Comments: I have always been a fan of the Yonex racquets since I have known Lleyton Hewitt and when I used the RDX 500 MP and RQiS 1 Tour. But compared to all the racquets I have ever used the Vcore Tour 89 is the best racquet I have ever used in my life! The feel and control are amazing with this racquet and I can also hit my powerful groundstrokes with ease.
From:

Comments: I bought it on a whim in accordance with the top reviews. In stock form it's difficult to play for me. It is rather stiff, with the benefit of some relevant action with balls hit in the upper range of the string bed (in sharp contradiction with my present racquet of choice: Boris Becker London Pro, slightly modified (leather grip/overgrip, 3g 10/14:00)), but with SOS from the elbow after one match. I can't believe the 330g swingweight in stock form (lower, 315g like?), very Bab Pure Drive GT like. I went out for a second match, this time with 8g lead in the hoop (av 66cm, 4cm), and it was much more rewarding, but more demanding. Just crazy spin, an offensive spin player's dream. This one, modified, is the one to top the Wilson K Factor 90 (Fed's three years ago), and beats out the stuffings of a Volkl Powerbridge 10 Mid, for sure. Yet I'm still undecided. The BB London Tour's precise laser guided performance is a treat, too.
From: A.F.K., 10/12

Comments: This frame is the modern incarnation of the R-22. Bigger hitting, better access to spin, and serves bombs. If you're a fan of Yonex frames, it's hard to do better than this one. It feels stiff, which provides amazing control and power, but for some reason it also feels soft as it cups the ball for better accuracy and touch. Even shots at the top of the stringbed have a good amount of feel and responsiveness. I always loved the R-22 because of its control and touch, but I always got pushed around by heavy hitters. Not so with this frame! It stands up against the heaviest shots and gets them back with interest. This frame swings a lot easier than the relatively high 335 swingweight would seem to indicate. Yonex frames always have that balanced feel and this one is no exception. A brilliant frame from a high-quality company.
From: Tony, 9/12
String type and tension: synthetic gut @ 48/46 lbs

Comments: Brings back good memories of the RDX 500 Mid. Super comfortable to hit with. Good pop and touch.
From: Adam, 9/12
String type: Yonex PolyTour Spin

Comments: I mostly play singles, with a semi-western forehand and semi-western one-handed backhand. I had previously used the K Pro Staff 88 for about 2 and a half years. Of my two KPS 88s one got cracked when I threw it at a fence in a fit of rage (it hit a vertical support pole). I was always looking to buy a third anyway, so I went looking to buy two more KPS 88s. I built up a 4 1/2 to a 5/8 to create a more headlight balance (I use 5/8). No 4 1/2 anywhere online that look legit. So, new racquet time. I have used the Yonex enough times to give you my take against the KPS 88. No problem with the weight of the KPS 88 for me, but on occasion I would get a little lazy and not bring the racquet forward to hit an offensive shot. Lazy shots on the KPS 88 will go longer than expected, get shanked, or fall harmlessly short on the other side of the net. The Yonex is very forgiving though, and lazy swings still produce a good ball. The KPS is much more stable and lower powered. I can't tell if the swing weight is that much different, as I tried to compare the two swinging at the air. The ball comes off with a lot of spin on the Yonex VCORE Tour 89. Of course, the KPS hits a flatter flying ball (you know, the put away shot). The Yonex is much more powerful, but there is tons of spin being imparted on the ball, so it is harder to hit it really flat I guess. The power, it really helps my backhand, serve velocity, and ground strokes in general. I have less accuracy on serves and volleys than the KPS 88. Volleys are taking some adjustment, as I serve and volley 50% of the time, and I am really spoiled by the stability of the KPS 88, not that the Yonex isn't a stable racquet. It just doesn't compare to the beast, where I just meet the ball with soft hands and it is going where I place it on the other side. You need a firmer grip on the Yonex. I think picking off the volley took me the longest to get adjusted, as the shape of the head made me meet the ball differently for a bit. Hard to tell now, but you will adjust. I can tell I will win more with the Yonex. I am just worried that I will become lazier due to the forgiving nature of the racquet (like its a bad thing). Truth be told using that KPS 88 really upped my game, as I was on an absolute winning streak with it for a while. But there were always those days when I was a little late to the ball and everything was going a little long. This Yonex is awesome though.

Comments: I had to share my excitement. Wow! I have played with RD 7's and RDTi50's long for a combined 20 years. The racquets I played with were not stock off the shelf, but factory modified or custumed by specialists. As you get older and fatter, you loose your connections and your stock of racquets gets depleted. Recently, I lost some major weight and got into hitting again. Having tried everything under the sun that is considered a player's racquet, I couldn't find anything that could deliver a feel anywhere similar to what I knew. I had lost faith in Yonex, because I tried many of their sticks to no avail. I randomly tried the 89. It was love at first hit. On the light side, but that's an easy fix. I just bought one and added some lead, and OMG! The big thing to consider about this racquet is the distance of the hand to the sweet spot. I've read that the sweet spot is the same as a regular sweet spot, but the key is that they pushed the bottom of the head up, making for a longer throat (old school style). The racquet head passes through so easily, but bear in mind you have to be able to release the head to maximize the hit. Also, it has a similar feel as an extended without being extended. You see, most reviews on extended sticks mention the reach and the clunkiness of the racquet head going through, but what isn't mentioned is the leverage on projections (the buggy whip-a poorly coined phrase by ESPN analysts as they couldn't explain the physics behind it) or the stop hit action on the two handed backhand, which this racquet delivers to the nth-degree. Yes, this isn't for everyone, as solid strokes and a well built system need to be wrapped around this stick, but if you candle a Ferrari, this is yours to drive. I'm planning on getting at least two more. Thanks and enjoy.
From: Philippe, 7/12
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane Pro @ 54 lbs

Comments: I remember in the summer of 88' I played with a Yonex R-22 and fell in love with that racket. The touch, headlight feel, the spin that I could put on the ball. Since then I have tried dozens of frames and they all fell short. The RQS-11, no thanks, not enough plough-through and too light. RDIS100-too stiff, it lacks touch, and it feels like hitting with a frying pan at times. Then I hit with the VCore-89. The same thin feel of the frame in my hand harkened me back to 1988. The huge amount of spin I could generate on my slice backhand. My flat bullet forehands were flying and going in. My topspin forehand took 2 days to find, but that is there too. I even can hit a one handed topspin backhand every now and then. In addition, with the additional pop at the net-combined with great touch and feel, I can say that this racket will satisfy all former R-22 lovers. This is the new technologically advanced version of that! Sorry, I got a bit carried away. I love this stick.
From: Rob, 6/12

Comments: I just got this demo (89 inch) tonight. I went and played a practice. I can not wait to play with this racquet for the demo period. It is wonderful and all the comments about the sweet spot being large are spot on (sorry...couldn't resist). I love heavier/smaller head size racquets and this one is even better than I imagined. I have a pretty trusty serve and tonight I could put it anywhere in the box. The depth on my shots was great and I was able to hit my forehand with under spin with tremendous control and accuracy. If the rest of the week is like tonight...I will have a new racquet.

Comments: I have used the RQiS 1 Tour for the past four or five years, and loved this stick immediately. The sweetspot is massive for this stick's head size. I noticed that my serves had a lot more pop and control with this racquet, but not a lot more spin (which doesn't really bother me at all). The groundstrokes, although I've had to hit through them a little more, shorten my backswing, and make my contact point a little more out in front, feel amazing (the transition was a little rough on my two handed backhand though). The slices feel god-like. Volleys are crisp and the racquet is very manuverable at the net. Best racquet ever. I bought three and will likely buy three more next spring.
From: Sam, 6/12
String Type and Tension: Yonex ATG 850

Comments: I have finally found the racquet to replace my RDS001 Mids. Tons of feel at the net, and easier access to spin on serve and groundstrokes. Great for a serve and volley game, crisp on deep volleys, and great control for touch/drop volleys.
From: Tony, 6/12
String type and tension: Volkl Cyclone, 59lbs

Comments: This racquet has it all and the guy who designed it is a bona fide genius. It's what the eventual modern successor of the classic Wilson Pro Staff 85 should have been after several iterations (except Wilson never got it right). Forget about the headsize, the sweet spot is huge, it plays like a 95 and above, couldn't tell the difference. But what baffled me the most is the spin generation: unreal. Much better than my Yonex RDiS 100 MP, which is a spin -friendly stick. The plow-through is also amazing, and with the proper timing you start sending spinning cannon balls and paint the lines with amazing accuracy and ease. It is also very arm-friendly and gives you plenty of feedback. I have not been that impressed by a racquet in a very long time. Again, it is, in my opinion, the missing link if you want to rekindle the unique sensations of the Pro Staff 85 with more power and spin potential, but never quite found it in the BLX 90 or Pro Staff 6.1 90.
From: Harvey, 6/12
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane 16 Mains / Babolat XCel 16 Crosses, 55/55 lbs

Comments: I'm hanging up my Prestige Classic for the Yonex 89. I had no idea this racquet would be this great. Unbelievable performance for a mid size, I highly recommend for you older guys like me who have played with the Prestige Classic for 15 years or more. I have actually improved my consistency with it in just a week, a lot of control, a lot more pop with the same comfort, touch and feel. Sweet spot is 5 times bigger than the prestige. Unbelievable racquet, a must try for the old folks like me.
From: Andre, 6/12
String type and tension: Wilson Natural gut/Yonex Poly Tour Pro, 58lbs/56lbs

Comments: I just finished testing this racquet for a week. I have been looking for a couple frames to replace my worn out Wilson K Blade Tour (93) frames. Wilson no longer makes anything comparable so I decided to try this Yonex. Excellent! Slightly heavier than my Wilson's and the accuracy is very impressive. The 89 inch head plays much larger due to the shape of the head. This racquet will be replacing my Wilson's. Yonex has won me over with this frame.
String type and tension: Yonex ATG 850, 60 lbs

Comments: This is a great racquet for people who hit the ball flat and like a lot of feedback. It is way more maneuverable than the Wilson 90 iterations. It has great pocketing and good spin generation. It is not the best for counter punching but if you like to control the point from the get-go this stick is amazing. I played with a demo with multi and the feel is wonderful. The sweet spot is bigger than the Yonex RDS 93. I can slice and drop shot better than any other racquet except maybe the Prince Warrior. The V on the throat seems a little longer than most racquets even for its headsize but whatever. I love this frame and put a good hybrid in it and it's one of the best Yonex frames I've ever used. I normally play with racquets close to Dunlop 200 series.
From: Patrick, 5/12