Wilson Pro Staff 95 BLX Racquet Customer feedback

Comments: This is an interesting racquet! I bought it without demoing it and I bought is based on specs and reviews, all of which combined to make it all the more interesting of a racquet. I strung it with hybrid Kirschbaum Pro line 17 and Gosen Micro 17g at 53 lbs. First of all, I read these reviews and heard of TW review that it is low powered. It is, but my current stick is the Vokyl Powerbridge 9 which according to TW University, my stick has lower power. However, when I hit with them both, the PS 95 seems to have less power. But it swings with more ease. I think this is due to the fact that it is more headlight than my PB9. That being said, both are maneuverable racquets, but PS 95 is a little more whippy (maneuverable) and feels lighter. Sweetspot is small, especially with new strings but opened up more as strings softened and loosened some. Tip of racquet is way low powered and sends bad negative vibrations on balls up at the tip. Serves lacked power, moreso than with PB9, but I could literally put them anywhere in the box I wanted. But serves really lacked power! Slice backhand was sweet. Spin was average. I like the racquet and will continue to play around with strings, tensions, and lead. My daughter plays with blade 98 and she can whip this around nicely due to low swing weight. If I dont like it I may give it to her and let her see how she plays with it. Maybe more racquet head speed will help her game!
From: CF, 4/14

Comments: My specs: Wilson sensation 17 string at 52-54 lbs. 3" strips of lead at 3 and 9 o'clock of racquet head. My stroke style: full, long, medium speed. My first impression about this racquet is how comfortable and flexy it is. With these specs I feel it's powerful enough and very stable. As for control, this is a very sharp and responsive racquet, that could be unforgiving in less experienced hands. This racquet is a pleasure for tennis elbow sufferers but demands full/sharp strokes from its bearer. Otherwise balls will lack spin and depth. This is my opinion based on my own specs and strokes style.
From: E.H., 4/14

Comments: When I first played with this racquet, I strung it at 60 lbs with Wilson Sensation. It turned out to be a mistake. I couldn't finish off points due to the low power of the racquet, and it was very unstable and uncomfortable when you don't hit the sweet spot. I have decided to restrung it with wilson NXT Tour (power) with 50 lbs, and I must tell you -- it's a different racquet! Very maneuverable, easy to swing ,comfortable, and finally, I can produce power.
From: Matthew, 4/14

Comments: This is by far the worst tennis racquet I have ever purchased . So under powered and it lacks stability. I noticed the lack of power from the first hit. My serve speed has drastically decreased. my groundstrokes are not as deep as they were before. I had customized it with lead at 3 and 9 and lowered the tension of the string to 54 lbs, still no change.
From: Feliciano, 3/14

Comments: I have had this racquet since the day I started playing tennis (i.e. for almost 18 months) and have enjoyed its dampened response as opposed to the stiff sticks out there. I'm just a casual club level player and now want to improve power and spin in my groundstrokes as well as serve which is difficult with the Pro Staff 95 BLX. I would like to play with similar swing weight (i.e. not more than 306).
From: Anant, 2/14

Comments: I find this racquet to be the perfect frame for a skilled player. This is why I find that the PS 95 BLX can be very deadly at times, but also a handful at other times when I'm not on my game. When I'm on, it is deadly precise and extremely stable both at the baseline and the net. It also allows you to serve with incredible precision. Unfortunately, I do find it be a very low-powered racquet. It does give me some problems when I'm pushed back and with high, deep balls as well. Also, the racquet head is a bit small and the sweet spot could be bigger. That being said, if you are sound fundamentally, I think this racquet can do it all. It is up to the player. I would also recommend stringing it at a lower tension to compensate for the power loss. I started at 55 lbs, then 50 lbs and settled at 48 lbs. It's truly an amazing frame when you're on your game. Demanding, but amazing. Strings: Babolat RPM Blast, 48 lbs.

Comments: I play with the Six.One ProStaff 95 and it is a low powered flexy stick with good control. You can drive deep balls but they require a longer, fast, full swing. Very comfortable stick to play with, but requires effort and footwork to get the most out of it. Despite being a little weighty, it is very maneuverable. I slice very well with it and spin is no problem. The sweetspot is on the small size and there is no power in the upper hoop. The flat serve is heavy with good strokes and legs. The spin serve is pretty good; kick serve is difficult to hit consistently. Volleys were ok. This one benefits from a touch of lead at 9 and 3. I don't recommend 16g poly, I found 17g to be much better at mid tension or as a hybrid. I have had the best results with Wilson NXT at59 lbs.

Comments: This racquet was designed and built perfectly. If you play good tennis, look no further.
From: Alejandro, 9/13

Comments: I have had this racquet for 2 months. I swithed from the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick because I wanted more control and consistency. The specs of the racquet seemed to be perfect and I thought I would add some lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock, but I tried without it first. I played a small tournament with the new racquet without practicing with it. I won the tournament, so here are my thoughts about the racquet. You have to hit with a full swing and put a lot of power into your shots. Placement is excellent, it is not so easy to over hit. Due to the open string pattern, the ball gets insane spin especially on slice. I didn't see much difference but my opponents did and they suffered with my backhand slice a lot. Now I am beating opponents I used to loose to. I think the miracle is the racquet head speed with the combination of the headlight balance. Disadvantage is a small sweet spot. But what power comes when you hit flat shot cross court! You have to concentrate on clean execution. This racquet makes you a better player. I recommend very soft strings for the mains and an arm friendly poly on crosses. My setup is 23/22lbs NXT tour/MSC co-focus. Amazing feel.
From: Martin, 7/13

Comments: I have had this racquet for about 6 months now, so I'm gonna do a little review for you guys. Picked up this racquet coming from a Head Microgel Radical MP, I loved the feel of the racquet so I had to get it. I started out playing with it and one thing I loved was the consistent power. There was not much risk of the ball flying off the court as the racquet is so low powered so the unforced errors out of the court were a bit lower for me. This racquet is very hard to use. You need to be very focused and sometimes can be very frustrating to play with. As much as the shots out of the court are minimized the shots into the net are maximized, sometimes you can over estimate the power of the racquet and expect it to just bounce off the frame but no, this racquet really does expect you to put every ounce of power into the ball, and sometimes this can be problomatic on slightly more touch shots. The smaller head size is also difficult to play with, which also creates a lot of errors. There are days when I feel like I am playing amazingly with this racquet and days when I feel like I am the worst player ever to step onto a court, my standard of play can change from amazing to terrible within one or two points with this racquet! Up until a point I was playing very well with the racquet but afterwards I had about 2 or 3 weeks break from tennis, came back and it was impossible to play with. I waited weeks and weeks but I just couldn't find a decent rhythm with it. So I decided to bring out my Head Microgel Radical MP and adjust my grip a little more semi western/western. The results were a lot better my shots were more consistent, I was playing better and everything just seemed easier again. I really want to love this racquet but I don't think it is for me. I may take it out and have another hit with one last time to see if I can re-gather some of that love I had with it before my short break from tennis but I feel like the lower power, inconsistent standard and small sweet spot really limit my capability as a player so I will probably go with a 4.5/10

Comments: I love this racquet and the control when you take full swings is amazing! I switched from the Blade 98 18x20 which was also another good control frame but I wanted a racquet with more weight in the handle and not as much in the head. I am using Gosen poly and synthetic for my strings (I was using Luxilon but it was getting pricey and the Gosen was alot cheaper).
From: Jake, 7/13

Comments: I am currently looking for a slightly lighter frame than my Pro Staff 85. Hence I am trying out lots of racquets. Reading the specs and looking at the box frame I thought this would be the one. However I found it to be too light and it transfers an excessive amount of shock into your arm. It feels very much like a toy. Maybe you could add weight to it, but easier to move on to another frame for me.

Comments: Originally, I strung this at a 56/59 lbs split with ALU Power in my mains and Sensation 17 in the crosses, but it was really lacking power. Dropped the tension 5 lbs and added some lead tape and now its perfect!
From: Evan, 5/13

Comments: I put a leather grip and an over grip with lead on the handle to bring it to 12.4 oz that feels like 10 oz in mobility because of its low swing weight. Only downside is the low power on serves (that's my best shot), but the great control and spin with the touch and mobility along with stability and comfort made me think before switching to another one.
From: Mu-zika, 4/13

Comments: Here is what works best for me with this model: strung it with poly at 24/23 kilos - finding out that this combination is well suited for all four seasons in my region. And, like all other commentators below, add about 10/12 grams of weight - 1 or 2 grams at the top of the head at 12 and 10 in the handle and the frame started to feel even lighter and I've never been happier with my game. Enjoy!
From: Vesko, 4/13

Comments: I upgraded to the Pro Staff 95 after using the Pro Open 100 and Pro Ltd 110 which were too powerful and I wanted more control. I demo'd the PS 95, PS100, Six.One 95 and Blade. I really liked the Six One 95 the best but the weight (12.2oz) was too much. The 11.5oz HL weight seemed perfect for me. I am happy with my choice - I get excellent control and maneuverability from it.
From: Jay, 3/13

Comments: I really wish they would come out with this model in an 18x20 string pattern with all the same specs. The 18x20 Six One 95 is just slightly too heavy for my taste. Since they discontinued the BLX Pro Tour, I've been trying to switch but im gonna pass on this unless they come out with the same model in an 18x20.

Comments: I got 2 of these at my club. The first one's specs was correct and the racquet felt a little flimsy in the head especially when hitting flat shots. The second one came in at 11.8 ounces and a much heavier swingweight. It seems to be around 340. I checked under the bumper guard and grommets as well as under the grip and inside the handle and they look to be identical. I love the second frame. It's so solid and plays like a mini K Pro Staff 88. I may have found frame of my dreams. Add some weight people, because this thing is meant for it.
From: Patrick, 2/13

Comments: An old school player's racquet built for the modern game of tennis. The second I started demo'ing this latest version of the Pro Staff 95, I immediately thought of the old 6.0 95 version of this racquet (one of my personal favorite racquets of all-time). This racquet has the classic controlled Pro Staff-like feel with some added modern-day vibration-dampening technology (Amplifeel). Me being a young/fit tennis enthusiast, I had to give this revamped classic a try! This version of the Pro Staff 95 plays solid from the baseline, despite the modern-day spinny players I run into from time to time. This racquet allows me to plow through any ball I choose with reasonable pace, spin, and great accuracy as long as I hit a well-timed long, fast stroke. The racquet is also solid at the net, particularly when I want to place a volley or put-away to a certain spot on the court with some authority. On serve, I found myself being able to hit and place flat, slice, or kick serves consistently where I wanted as long as I put in the effort when using a well timed relaxed serve motion. Lastly, this racquet is actually great for touch shots to due the level of control it brings to the court. I was able to execute lobs and drop shots almost at will with accuracy and consistency. Bottom line, I believe that the Wilson BLX Pro Staff 95 is an excellent choice (or at least worth a demo) for a 4.0+ level player with a long yet fast stroke style who likes to play from all areas of the court. They will enjoy the consistency and accuracy of this stick more than any other attribute as long as they are relatively fit as well as patient when they choose to be aggressive. Those are just a few reasons why this is now my new stick of choice!
From: Shane, 1/13
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Pro Line X 1.25 @ 52 lbs

Comments: I agree with a lot of previous reviewers and players, I need to get this racquet restrung with my own strings at a lower tension (48 lbs) to find more power and pop. The demo I had was strung at a higher tension which lowered its potential power (given its lower weight and thinner beam). I personally loved the old original ProStaff 6.0 95 racquets from the 1980s. With more flex and light weight, I need to play around with adding lead tape. I added 6gr along the 12 o'clock which help with increasing the swingweight and stability. I'm still debating whether or not to purchase it. I'm currently playing the Wilson BLX 6.1 Team racquet which I really like (once I add weight to my own personal weight, SW and balance liking). Personally, I would like to see Wilson tweak this racquet for 2014. (1) release a copy-cat model of the original 6.0 95 or (2) slightly tweak this version with a slightly thicker beam (say 19-20mm) to add a little bit more stability and power, and increase the stiffness from 62RA up to 64RA for increased stability (especially when hitting the ball higher in the stringbed). I also would swap out the stock buttcap with the Wilson non-6.1 buttcap. It's rounded and slightly bigger than the buttcap on the Tour 90 and ProStaff 95. I find the rounded buttcap on the ProStaff 100 and the Team racquet a lot more comfortable, but that's just a personal opinion. If you know what you're doing, I personally like the overall lighter weight because it does allow you to customize it by adding lead tape to bring the racquet up to your preferred weight, swingweight and balance, etc. The paint is also very glossy. Most likely, you'll have a lot of trouble getting lead tape to stick to the frame and stay put during play. The red and gold paint is very glossy. I had to take some fine sandpaper and rub the sandpaper along the frame to take off the gloss (which screws up the nice look of your frame). If you add lead tape in the 12 o'clock, you should remove the bumper guard and then add your lead tape there between the frame and bumper guard (the way Federer and Priority One do it on his frames). I also added about 12gr of lead tape under the grip - that's fine. I know glossy frames look shiny and new, but like the others, I still prefer the matte finish paint jobs. Maybe the gloss enamel helps reduce chipping, scrapes and scratches, I don't know. I play with the BLX 6.1 Team and didn't have the same issue with my leadtape and the frame, but I did have trouble getting leadtape to stay on the BLX ProStaff 95 and 100 models (along the red/black/yellow paint parts).

Comments: This is a fantastic all-around racquet. It's great on forehands and backhands, and has a great amount of spin with the 16x19 string pattern. It has great feel and maneuverability at the net and feels solid on volleys. The only down side with this racquet is that it is not as solid with slice backhands as a racquet with a 18x20 string pattern. I would give this stick a 9 out of 10. Great racquet!

Comments: The paint chips easy as it is very glossy. However, that's not a bad problem when you consider it's the only one I found. The frame itself is light enough to do, and basically any mods you want to bring the swingweight and balance to where you like. I found it had a pretty good deal of power which seems to be contrary to what everyone is saying. It's a great frame, and I have been waiting for a stick like the Tour 90 with the sharp edges for some time and here it is. It does not disappoint, this is a must demo. I will certainly be stocking up on a few more.
From: Brad, 10/12
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation mains / Luxilon ALU Power crosses @ 52 lbs

Comments: I like this racquet. It gives good power, control, and good feeling as long as you get Wilson NXT and string it at 48 lbs. I have tried it at 42, 45, 48, 55 lbs.
From: Jin, 10/12

Comments: Dare I say that I could never have made a mistake buying this racquet. It suits me so well. I played my first match with it today and I simply crushed the opponent. I play at University level (probably NTRP 4.0 or 4.5). I have strung my racquet with RPM Blast at 57 lbs which seems to be working great. My serves have improved a lot (hit 6 aces in a set today) and forehand groundstrokes are so great! Above all, the racquet makes a sweet sound when hitting the ball which feels great as well! Thanks to TW team and their fantastic videos for helping me choose this racquet!
From: Shashwat, 10/12
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast @ 57lbs

Comments: I love this racquet. It suits me well. I have no pain playing with this frame. I strung it with WeissCannon Turbotwist 23/22 kg and it's perfect for me. Switching from a more powerful racquet you see how low-powered it is. But, after adjusting in 2 months I forgot about it and with that tension it has a lot of power. Tons of power to finishing the action everywhere you want. It has very good spin and control, but what is most important is the feel. Mine is 337g with string, overgrip and dampener, with a 32 cm balance and 311 SW. It's stable enough, and it has a really comfortable sweetspot in a 95 sq. inch head. In my opinion injures are not the racquet's problem. It's bad technique. Especially when you try completely different frames. I had a TE but when I changed my serve technique it disappeared a few months ago.
From: Willi, 10/12
String type and tension: WeissCannon TurboTwist 1.18 @ 51/49 lbs

Comments: I agree with Tim (below). I started with the PS 100 and did well with that stick, so I figured I'd advance to the PS 95. Upon using the PS 95 for a brief period, however, I developed bad wrist and forearm soreness. I tried a gel grip and softer strings, and still could not overcome the harsh effects of this racquet. I was really disappointed. I switched back to the PS 100 with a Shock Shield grip and NXT 16 Max strings at 58 pounds and have been painless since.
String type and tension: Wilson NXT Max 16g @ 58lbs

Comments: This is a good racquet. Most of my friends tried it, but they did not like it. I like this racquet because it's low powered and it is better suited for my game since I generate my own power. The only problem I had with this racquet was that when I bought 2, both felt so different. You can actually feel the change in swingweight and overall weight. Now I have to get it customized at a local tennis shop so they're both the same. But besides that problem, this racquet will help your game improve and help better control your shots.
From: A.M., 9/12
String type and tension: Dunlop Black Widow and Babolat Revenge @ 55 lbs

Comments: Great combination of spin potential and precise power. Plays best with a little extra lead at 12. It feels comfortable at first, but over time I developed discomfort in my hand from using the PS 6.1 95, even when stringing it with gut mains and a soft multi cross. I believe it may have something to do with the new Ampli-Feel technology. Wilson has inserted metal bars, or "shanks", in the grip which are visible when you remove the butt cap. While they may increase feel in my case they caused significant hand pain with extended use forcing me to move on to a new frame.
From: Tim, 8/12

Comments: Great racquet. I really liked the small headsize, the control and feel that I didn't get from my old Babolat. It does have low power, which means that I have to string my racquets at 50 pounds, while my old Babolat was at 60.

Comments: This is a good racquet from Wilson. However, it must be strung with a multi or a very soft poly for it to be usable. I first strung this up with Lux Savage at 58lb, after that 55lbs and lastly 52lbs. The racquet was low powered and the off center hits were extremely jarring. The overhead is hard to control too. I also developed elbow and shoulder issues. I was ready to give this racquet up until I set it up with a multi (Pacific Powercraft, 55lbs) and the Shock Shield replacement grip. The result is amazing! It turned into a very comfortable racquet. I suspect the stringbed plays a majority of the role here because the gel in the grip is quite worn out already but the racquet still feels great. I migrated from a customized Ncode Ntour 95 and ProKennex Black Ace93. The BLX PS6.1 95 swings lighter, has better control and feel. The power is very good, especially on the sweetspot. The one thing I dislike is that it is one of the crappiest racquet head bumper guard designs ever! So narrow that the racquet scratches easily and so thin that sand easily gets inside but easily comes off as well because it is easy to peel open.
From: Loo, 8/12

Comments: Personally, this has been may favorite racquet so far. I've been playing tennis for 2 and a half years now and have a 4.0 level. I'm currently 14 years old and have developed a giant passion and love for tennis. In my opinion, the way you swing the racquet has nothing to do with what kind of racquet you have unless you have one that weighs 10x more than what you can swing with. This racquet has great control and spin. I never really get tired of using it so I have no idea what people are talking about when they say that they get tired when swinging or that it doesn't cut the air fast enough. But if I were you, don't take my opinion for it. Just demo the darn racquet!
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough @ 55 lbs

Comments: Just an amazing racquet!!! I've just switched to this racquet after a year of using the Six.One Tour and I must say the improvement was big. Since the Six.One is very heavy in comparision to this racquet, I felt my forehand acceleration improved a lot, allowing me to hit more winners from the baseline and in my approaches to the net. My serve got a lot more spin and power and my backhand slice is going deep into the baseline at a very low height. However, the racquet seems to be very low powered at the moment. I'm hitting my two handed backhand so I'll have to make some changes in order to raise the ball. I must say if you are the type of player like me who loves to hit the backhand with a lot of topspin, this would be the racquet for you.
From: Alfonso, 8/12
String type and tension: Luxilon Savage Black 16L @ 55 lbs

Comments: I was one of the first people to demo this model in the very early months of 2012 since my coach had the models coming in early for his customers to try out. A Pro Staff version of the Six.One 95 had been on my mind for a while, so I was very excited to try out this stick. It was initially quite lighter than my standard racquets, which are around the 12 ounce range, so I had a bit of a adjustment period to the lighter frame, which I thought would be a benefit to obtain more racquet head speed for my game. After trying on and off it for about 4 months, I'd have to say I'd have pass on this one. There are some amazing benefits to it for me however. There is a very unique feel from a small sweet spot, inside the actual sweet spot (if you can get what I'm saying) that was absolutely incredible, it occurred most on overheads and serves. It had a endless pocket and amazing power to it when I found it, which was one of the most unique aspects of any racquet I've played with. The racquet itself was very whippy and spin friendly, and I found a lot of racquet head speed when I was going for big shots. However, I did find that it lacked stability from the baseline and most notably: Plow. With a swingweight of 306, it was very maneuverable, but this came at a heavy price; I could not crush balls from the baseline at all, and if I tried, I would be rewarded to a very unstable shot. At net, it performed better for me, I found it to have much more stability at net than from the baseline and easy precision. Serves were pinpoint accurate, but again, I couldn't really get my big flat serves out of it, although for kick and slice it was amazing (really whippy again!). I really enjoyed this playtest, and even though I didn't quite feel like adding a whole ounce of lead tape to this racquet, I really enjoyed playing with it. If Wilson could make a Tour version of this racquet with 12.3 strung weight, a option between a 18x20 and a 16x19 and a swingweight of about 330, then I'd be ecstatic! Good initial job though!
String type and tension: Kirschbaum P2 Red, 52 lbs

Comments: I've jsut started playing tennis last April 2012 and my first racquet was the Wilson KSlam K Hybrid with Babolat PHT 17 strung at 58 lbs. I was very good on my top spin shots and the ball really curves down the way I want it, and my playing mates all comment on my good rate of progress I attained and how fast I learned. My only problem is my serve is crap and so are my flat shots. Then came this racquet around July and I personally picked it for my self as a gift. I chose this over the 90 because I think I'm way too inexperienced to play with an advanced racquet, and I was right. For the first week this racquet stayed in my bag and I've done nothing since the first time I used it, as it was way too heavy (my old racquet is 9.5 oz compared to this 11.5 oz) and the headlight balance doesn't seem to fit my fast, hard swing style stroke using a semi western grip. Then the event happened when my PHT strings went dead and I was forced to play with this racquet and adjust to its game. AND THE WOW HAPPENED! For almost 3 games of adjustments I think I found out how this racquet works. IT'S INCREDIBLE!! I can hit ACES with my serve (and I learned the proper technique of serve with this racquet), my flats are improving, and I can still hit that top spin ball curving shot that I'm used to. I now have adjusted to the stiffness of the frame, the heavy and light head balance and everything seemed working, THIS REALLY DEVELOPED MY GAME!!! and I've not installed any lead tapes yet. Bottom line, WANT IMPROVEMENT?? GET THIS!!! I rate this 9/10 only for the low powered downside but hey, I'm control oriented so its fine!
From: Pasitimus, 8/12
String type and tension: Wilson Stamina Spin 16g @ 55 lbs

Comments: I'm updating my previos comment (5/12), and I have to say that this racquet is wonderful. You just have to get used to the low power, and if Wilson added 0.3 oz to it it could be my choice for the next 10 years. It's just close to perfect, but tell Wilson make a new 11.8 oz one.
From: M.Z., 7/12
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU Power Rough @ 60/58 lbs

Comments: Got this racquet from my local store. The store wouldn't let me demo it but I wanted something to replace my KFactor Six.One 95. Turns out to be nothing like it. It's a lot lighter for my liking but it's still a very good racquet. Easy to maneuver, with lots of control and precision.
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough @ 58 lbs

Comments: This racquet is awesome! When I first used it, the racquet seemed to be unstable both at the baseline and at the net. This racket makes it easier to swing faster but at the same time since I am the type to swing wildly, I lost control many times. I decided to add head tape to protect the top of the racquet as well as some weight because it felt a little light. I decided to add lead tape to the racquet at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. The racquet became so much more stable and better control for my style of play. My serves, volleys and baseline play became better. I've never played better. I think i've found the perfect racquet!
From: Angela, 7/12
String type and tension: Polyester @ 54 lbs

Comments: I love this racket! I bought this racket from a local shop and was pleased with the results. I have great control over my forehands and serves. My serve seems to be slower but more accurate. This racket is great up at the net and back at the baseline. The only con I could think of is that it scratches easily. After paying $200 on this racket you might wanna buy some head tape to protect the top from nicks. Overall this racket is fabulous, and really improved my game.
From: Ethan, 6/12

Comments: Firstly, the racquet looks great (well done paint job). As other reviewers, the racquet has a great touch, swing easily, brilliant control and spin strokes. I had previously some problems with my serves, but with this racquet I easily overcome the problem, and is now improving both my games and serves. The only downside of this racquet, is like everyone else, the lack of power. But I did not bother to add any lead tape, I just generate my own power, and in doing that, I'd become a better player. I also demoed the 100 square inch head size (from same series), that racquet was actually a slight better in term of player's laziness, because it was lighter and thus much easier to handle, and had more power. But if you're an experienced/advanced player, go for the 95 (or 90 inch) head size. Demo both of them than you'll know why. Rating: 9 of 10 for 95 (lacking the last point due to the low power level), 7.5 of 10 for 100 inch head size (well, this is a beginner's + level racquet).
From: Danh, 6/12
String type and tension: Wilson Champion's Choice

Comments: I love this racquet! You will too! Great spin and power on serves, groundstrokes, volleys, overheads, returns, aka everything. You will love the control. You will love how you can put the ball anywhere you want on the tennis court. You can play for hours and not have a sore arm. I some times prefer the 90 for the pure control but this has extra spin which is really helpful on second serves with big kick and passing shots. Great job Wilson.

Comments: I bought the PS 6.1 95 and started stringed it with 50lbs. My groundstrokes were not enough to hurt any opponent. I am using 45lbs now and I am unbeatable. If you are like me (you don't buy a racquet to customize) reduce your string tension if you bought this racquet. I guarantee that you'll love it!
From: Sandro, 6/12
String type and tension: Monofilament, 45 lbs

Comments: Not sure what's up with wilson, this could have been a great racquet but they just dropped a bomb, as in not good. Wilson really needs to step up here. I bought 4 racquets and two of them were good, other too were WAY off. I had to put some serious lead tape to get all 4 racquets to line up (weight).
From: Insang, 6/12

Comments: Great stick with a really nice paint job and awesome feel. The stability isn't the greatest but that's how I like it. Volleys are crisp and groundstrokes have a lot of bite. My only complaint, as with everyone else, is the slight loss in power. This lack in power is hindering, but with some customization (leather grip + lead tape for added weight), I have more heft and therefore more plow through. Don't even get me started on the precision I get with this racquet, signature to the Wilson brand.

Comments: Great racquet. I was using a six one 95 (16x18) before and it was too heavy for me really, I'm not a pro and in my search to keep a fed like racket I ended up with this. Not as stable as many people have commented but a fantastic racket, can get very very good swing speed and my serves are better now I'm not playing with a heavy racket. Give it a go! I love it!
String type and tension: Big Banger Rough, 54lbs

Comments: First strung at 58lbs(same with my nCode). Extremely low power, extremely jarring for off center hits. Lowered it to 56/54lbs mains/crosses it played better. Sweet spot is enlarged considerably. The heft (although not much by pro's standard) is making it's presence felt for serve and driving through the ball better forehand or backhand. I will play with this setup for a while. Next stringing due I will try 54/52lbs.
From: Loo, 5/12

Comments: Trying the Pro Staff 95 and 100 back to back (I have been using the BLX 95). Have to say if your opponent is hard hitting, you need the weight of the 95 to counter and it plays like a dream. Otherwise the 100 is much easier (don't forget club players are not as fit as a pro), but definitely less powerful than the BLX 95. I string Technifibre Blackcode 18 at 52 - 50lbs. May need to drop it by two pounds to compensate.
From: Marv, 5/12

Comments: I had my own one 2 months ago and I think testers were right. The advantages: 1- very easy acces to spin on every shot, 2- very mobile, 3- big sweet spot for 95 sq.in head, 4- very good touch and feel, 5- very comfortable even with a stiff poly. The disadvantages: 1- low power during rallying and serving, 2- not very stable at net. Overall: good and worth a demo. I give it 8/10
From: MZ, 5/12
String type and tension: ALU power rough 16L, 60lbs

Comments: I have to agree with JW. The racquet in it's stock form is not adequately stable or has enough heft but customize it and wham! It's a surgical tool that will nick and cut your opponents to pieces. That's exactly what I did after I toyed with the weight issues and the results are great. I suggest you add some weight to the handle, I added 4 grams total with two grams on each face side of the handle and two on both frame sides. I also added a total of 2 grams a piece to the 3 and 9 part of the frame. The racquet instantly has more power/plow thru. My groundstrokes were deep and penetrating. Forehand and my one- handed backhand were powerful but with the wonderful control this racquet was designed for. Great precision and power came quite easily. Volleys were great! I could pop a nicely angled volley deep or drop it over the net with a feathery touch. This is indeed a great racquet, of course with some modifications. A true classic, like the ones before.
From: KD, 4/12
String type and tension: Hybrid - Babolat RPM Blast mains/Gosen OG Micro Sheep 17 crosses, 56 lbs

Comments: Great racket. I had a little bit of trouble adjusting to the lowish power at first but once I adjusted, it felt very good and I was hitting the ball well. I will lower the tension of the strings when I restring it to get a bit more power though. Great control and spin and it looks amazing
From: Benjy, 4/12

Comments: I added 5 grams of lead to the top of the racquet under the bumper guard. Totally different racquet, very stable. Mine is about 11.8 with a swingweight of right around 324 or so. It is too light in stock form and not that stable. Plays great now...
From: JW, 3/12
String type and tension: Pro Hurricane main, 52lbs, X-one biphase cross, 55lbs

Comments: Great racquet but very disappointed that it was only open pattern. I would have no problem switching to it from my Babolat if it was closed pattern.

Comments: To the honest, the stock form isn't that great, ALTHOUGH it is great to customize and weigh it to what you want for a great 'players' stick. With the added lead tape to 12, 9 and 3, with a leather grip (be wary, use a high- adhesive lead-tape for the racquet as some tapes dont work with the high-gloss on the racquet), its got plenty of plow though, with amazing control, BUT I do NOT recommend this to a player under 4.0 because it's extremely hard to use properly, which goes for the 95 and 90 PS sticks, couldn't even get the hang of it for the first week. A friend who is around a 4.0 player struggled when I let him use it for a couple of days. Great with a full bed of co-poly. 9/10 rating for me :D
From: Josh, 3/12
String type: Babolat revenge 17
NTRP Rating: 5-5.5

Comments: Great racket! I have owned probably all the Prostaff line. I have played on the PS 85 & 90 in all it's variants but finally I just needed something a little less demanding weight-wise, i.e., 12 oz is just a little too heavy for 3 hours. Finally got to demo the new PS 95 and love it. The weight is perfect for 3.5-4.0 at 11.3 oz. Balance is wonderful, great feel and very accurate with the box frame. Stock it is great and put a little more weight on it and you have a more forgiving PS 95. I'm definitely getting one!
From: Terry, 3/12

Comments: Love love love this racquet! This is the stick I have been waiting for with the flat beam and larger head size from the 90. I came from the kblade tour which I also loved but almost instantly I could tell this was more my racquet as I constantly desired more control from the kblade. It is true that with the light weight you lose power but with that trade off you gain a tremendous amount of control, feel, and maneuverability which I will take any day. Anyway its a great racquet and the light weight is a plus in my book(great to customize). It's definitely a players stick!

Comments: Love love love this racquet! This is the stick I have been waiting for with the flat beam and larger head size from the 90. I came from the kblade tour, which I also loved but almost instantly I could tell this was more my racquet as I constantly desired more control from the kblade. It is true that with the light weight you lose power but with that trade off you gain a tremendous amount of control,feel, and maneuverability that I will take any day. Anyway it's a great racquet and the light weight is a plus in my book(great to customize). It's definitely a players stick!

Comments: I finally got a chance to demo this racquet yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I have used the 6.1 95 16x18 for several years now, the NCode and BLX versions (did not like the K-Factor). So I am used to a racquet with a bit more weight and a wider beam width, both specs that add a bit more power to a frame. The feel of this new Pro Staff BLX 95 is excellent. And even though it is lighter than the 12.3 ounce type frame I usually play with, I was surprised at how good it felt. The one drawback I found is the low power of this racquet, which I think is due to the thinner beam width and lower weight. The feel in this racquet is there. But to improve the racquet a bit, here is what Wilson should have done: (1) increase the stock weight a bit; and (2) make the beam width a little wider. Wilson should have stuck a little closer to the original Pro Staff 6.0 95 specs for weight and beam width, and maybe make it a bit more headlight with the increased weight. With the Basalt engineering and Amplifeel this racquet has great feel. If Wilson just adjusted the two specs mentioned above, it would be a dynamite stick!

Comments: I've used the K 95, BLX for years. Like the excellent control without the weight of the 90. Had considered going a bit lighter given aging tendons, and this racquet is perfect. I found the same control, but the weight is way easier on everything, plus I take long swings, and the extra racquet head speed definitely overcomes the lower weight.

Comments: Why so light?? This stick would be the perfect racquet if a little heavier. Great size and frame thickness, but lacking in plow-through and power. Hopefully the next revision will be closer to a forgiving version of the Tour 90.

Comments: This racquet is awesome if you string it at low tensions. Personally I would recommend going all the way down to 50lbs or below with most strings.
From: Thomas, 2/12

Comments: I really enjoy this racket. Good touch and control. But only one thing that I didnt like is low power. I have to hit harder than hitting with another racket. So next time for restringing I will reduce tension about 2lbs.
From: Nova, 2/12

Comments: Excellent control, I felt like I could put the ball anywhere on groundstrokes and serve. Great feel on finesse on drop shots and volleys. You do need to be able to create your own power with this racket. Spin was there when I needed and so was the ability to flatten it out to finish a point. Great touch and maneuverability. Will be trading in my APDGT's for this stick.
From: Bill, 2/12

Comments: Got the demo several weeks ago. Buyers beware!! I could NOT get any lead tape to stick (and stay) on the frame (same with the new BLX PS 100 model too). I don't know if Wilson plans on changing (improving) their paintjob to a more flat/matte finish, but I tried putting the TW 1/4" lead tape at 3, 9 and 12 o'clock positions.....nothing worked. The paintjob is very glossy and enameled. If I got the lead tape to stick, it quickly starting peeling off after a few minutes of hitting. Completely dissapointed. The nice thing about this racket is the slightly lighter weight to allow players to experiment and customize it. Oh well, maybe I'll try the new BLX PS 95 model that comes out in 2-3 more years from now. I'm looking forward to the new 2012 BLX Six-one series in the next few months.......hopefully, the paintjob on these is ok.

Comments: I finally had the opportunity to demo this racket. It felt great at net and baseline. It felt lighter than I expected it to be which allowed me to generate a fast fluid swing.
From: Peter, 1/12

Comments: Perfect from the first shot, finally the pro staff 90 in a lighter weight.
From: Rohan, 1/12

Comments: This racquet has great feel. Volleys were great and so was the one handed backhand. Plays very much like the blx six-one tour but was much more forgiving and maneuverable. I have played with every one of the previous 95s and this stick was the first one with a very noticeable difference.
From: Franklin, 1/12

Comments: This is a great racquet. In my opinion the racquet of the year! A lot of people complain about the weight but I encourage you to try it for yourself before taking their word. My PS95 was 11.2 ounces unstrung, now strung and an overgrip it's 11.85 ounces. Great thing about it is, if desired this racquet is easily customized. Great feel and control with precise angles. The racquet offers some power and with the proper mechanics and strength you will get great results. This is a very solid racquet from all aspects of the court. I am proud to say I am no longer a "Racquetholic" anymore. A must demo if you're in the market for a new stick.
From: Malcolm, 1/12

Comments: Don't know whether to laugh or cry with this racquet. I was looking for a lighter, more maneuverable stick, but after a 2 hour hit, for me the jury is still out. I agree with previous feedback about the shocking lack of depth and power on groundstrokes. I'm switching from the 6.1 blx 95,and with this racquet, you have to work for everything you get. No more "letting the heft of the racquet do the work" -- I found myself having to loop the ball to get any depth. When I hit flatter the try to generate pace through the court, the ball landed woefully short. When I increased my follow through, the ball started sailing long. Seems like it's going to take some time to dial this thing in. The tight stringing w/technifibre black code at 60 lb. may need to loosen up as well before better responsiveness is experienced. Also I was hitting outside in 40-45 degree weather. As far as feel, the blx and "amplifeel tech" create a muted feel when you are lucky enough to hit the less than generous sweetspot. Pretty unforgiving on off center hits, however. On the bright side, the trade off of less plow for lighter weight gives superior racquet speed and handling, leading to nice spin production on top and slices, and tidy volleying at the net. this also helps with directional serving accuracy, although serves for me had slightly less pop.(again maybe tight strings and cold weather?). Also, for me, my one handed topspin backhand was markedly improved with this racquet. The lighter weight allowed me to hook the ball more sharply crosscourt and have more directional control. I may or may not fool around with the weight/balance. I'm going to hit it several more times to see if things get better first. Overall worth a try, but temper your expectations!
From: Jimmy, 1/12

Comments: The racquet does take some getting used to. I've been with Wilson since the JK Autograph. I was SO excited when I saw this racquet was coming out - finally!!, they listened to me! (Right!) But I love the straight beam design of the Pro Staff so I thought this would be the Holy Grail - bigger frame and lighter than the 90. With "advancing age", I've used the Asian K-90 and Asian BLX 90 and could just CRUSH a forehand when I could set up. So when I first hit with the new BLX 95 I thought - what a piece of crap!! It did feel like a toy at first. But I added quite a bit of weight at the handle, 3 & 9 positions as well as lead tape at the top to get it just over 12oz with string as well as two overgrips (I had finally gone down to 1/4 so I could do just that). THEN it really started to feel like I thought it would. The power was there on forehands. Serving was VERY accurate. I think I'll be very happy with it the more I play. To roll everything up - this is a very good starting point for a racquet if you're willing and capable of modifying it to your standards. It's NOT meant to be used just out of the plastic wrap!!

Comments: I hit with this demo for the first time last night. Came strung with NXT probably strung in the mid range. I warmed up with my wife who hits as hard as any 4.5 man I have played and another gal who played competitively in high school. Yes, the racquet is light. If you want your racquet to be in the 12.5 oz. range you will be disappointed. However, if your target is around 12.0 oz it is easy to get this racquet there. Just throw on a leather grip, an overgrip, dampener, and a small amount of lead in the head and you are there. Despite the weight, the racquet still felt solid, and very comfortable. With its low swingweight it was a breeze to accelerate through the hitting zone. Spin was very easy to access and volleys were a breeze. To me, it hit similarly to an Asian BLX 90, with a slightly larger sweet spot. Does it have the plow through of a Fed racquet? no, but I still managed to hit very solid forehands. The only time I truly missed the extra weight of regular K90/BLX90 was hitting slice backhands. Nothing slices though the ball like the Fed racquet, but overall, most players up to about a 5.5 level will enjoy this racquet. It is still a box beam, traditional control racquet. Others might wish for more stiffness and therefore more power (I would suggest that these individuals stick to the 6.1 line), but I (and my arm) like the relative softness of this racquet. It will be an interesting decision whether to stay with the Asian BLX 90 or switch to this racquet.
From: Chuck, 1/12

Comments: Good racquet. But it has small sweetspot. Not easy! My Prestige MP is a little more attractive than this one. Enjoy your tennis!
From: Jae Ouk. 1/12
String type and tension: Alu power 1.25, 48/46 lbs

Comments: This is a great racquet but you have to add some lead tape to it.
From: Aaron, 1/12

Comments: Played with this finally today and loved it. It just felt so comfortable!
From: Brad, 1/12

Comments: Mega disappointed! I've been waiting for this racquet for a long time! Wilson should be ashamed of themselves for making this and calling it a Pro-Staff. It has no power at all. I could only get good angle shots that landed short..It felt like a toy racquet in my hand. I normally play with the Wilson K-90..And like a lot of people, I was looking for a slightly lighter version. I tried lead tape all around and it did not help. The new so called Amplifeel did not help at all. And Wilson's 3/8 grip now seems much bigger and boxier!..what happened? Wilson, please stop making these with the BLX basalt..it looses all feel of the racquet..go back to the K-Factor.. PLEASE!! (which is what Federer still uses) Do not buy this, you will be so sorry. In closing, the only positive thing I can say is that the paint job looks cool.
From: Craig, 1/12

Comments: Biggest disappointment. I had high hopes for this racquet as a former prostaffer and Ncoder. I wrote Wilson three years ago to make this racquet. As mention above in Stock form way to light. I temped some lead tape and it did help a little but should you move forward plan on spending some money customizing this racquet. The string were way to tight for this racquet in demo form. The only hope is that wilson will see the error of their ways and make a pro version of 12.0 oz stock

Comments: This racquet is perfect for customizing. I've had mine since late November. I added a Wilson leather grip and 6 inch lead strips at 12,9,and 3 o'clock. I also added 6 6inch strips to the handle. The racquet was just too light in stock form. Now the racquet has the stability and plow through I want. It is so comfortable with the Amplifeel handle. Best racquet I have ever played with. Serves are absolute bombs. It has pinpoint accuracy. Volleys are crisp with proper preparation. In stock form it would be perfect for women or smaller players.
From: Nick, 1/12

Comments: I was very pleased with how this racquet performed. I was immediately attracted to the thin box beam design. It is on the light side of player frames however I still got sufficient plow-through. Being a spin player I was very pleased with the potential for spin that the racquet gives. From the net, the racquet performs quite well, as one would expect from a prostaff frame. On serves the racquet performed quite well. It is headlight so you need to provide the pace and flick on the serves, but if you can bring the pace and have proper form you will be rewarded with good power and excellent motion on slice and kick serves. That being said, I would recommend this racquet to any 4.0+ who has good form and acceleration on their strokes.
From: Kyle, 1/12

Comments: I was given the opportunity to test drive this racket before release and here are a few points that I would like to emphasize. The 95 square inch head size is a more forgiving when compared to the Six One Tour counterpart on off center shot. Ideally, the swing weight and static weight is around the mid range targeted for those seeking a lighter and more maneuverable racquet. The amount of plow though, is something that must be forgone in compensation for the lighter weight but is a tradeoff that some will make. Overall, a solid racket that will appeal to many and can't wait to make the switch.
From: Terry, 1/12

Comments: This one has nothing similar to the old 95's. The beam, shape, string pattern are like a bigger 90. Should be called a BLX 90 team (but it's 95 in size). The one I felt at local shop today doesn't feel that light swing wise. BTW, the 100 looks like a thick power racket, so awkward! Was considering to buy the old model on sale now.

Comments: I demoed this racket on Jan. 7th, 2012. The racket has plenty of control and feel. I enjoyed volleying with this racket. Ground strokes were easy with this racket and very comfortable. Serving with it was effortless. Any player can get plenty of power and spin with this racket on first and second serves. I was very impressed with this racket. Wilson has done a great job overall with quality rackets.

Comments: I like this racquet. Good touch and gives that flex on the BH. The spin cycle strings though are too soft. Does not really give that much spin so that I can notice it. I like that it is straight beam and that its sweet spot feels large. Doesn't need a dampener either which I usually need.

Wilson Pro Staff 95 BLX Racquet - Where to go from here

Comfort
Wilson Best Sellers
Wilson BLX Tennis Racquets
Wilson Racquet Reviews
9.29.11 - [8] wilson racquets A (TRP)
Racquet Deals