Volkl Cyclone 16 String Customer feedback

Comments: Read a lot about this string, but found it rather underwhelming. It's ok, but produces a lighter ball than TB or even BHBR. No way is it in the same solar system as RPM Blast. Of course, it's half the price of RPM but so is BHBR.
From: Al, 11/13

Comments: If you want all around good spin and pocketing from your string, this is it. It doesn't have the most spin, or the best pocketing, or the best power, but it is very good at all of these. Plus, it is friendly on the arm. If you want more bite, then go with a hexagonal shaped sting. However, these are usually stiffer strings and can lead to elbow issues. I found gear shaped strings have good pocketing, but not as much grab as hex shaped strings.

Comments: I'm a 5.0 player and I have tried a lot of strings. My most recent setup was RPM/VS Gut at 56 lbs. The RPM gave a little more spin, but has only a fraction of the control of Cyclone. Cyclone is the best control string I have ever tried. Try it, but string it lower and you will be a convert. Mine is strung at 50lbs on my PSTGT with a leather grip.
From: Patrick, 9/13

Comments: Definitely a lot of spin. A decent amount of power. Not exactly the most feel on the volleys, however, I got used to this. Serves didn't have a ton of pop on them (I felt like my top speed went from 115 to 110). Very soft on the arm. Definitely a wonderful string for aggressive play, but a little difficult to be defensive with. Overall a much better string than the synthetic I was using at 61 lbs. It's not a perfect string, but it is pretty damn good. My top choice out of about 8 different strings. Definitely a good choice for collegiate players because of how much power and spin it can generate.

Comments: I tried this in my 2012 PD Roddick. It was like I had gone to tennis heaven. Spin and kick were abundant but only for about three hours. I was like Cinderella who missed her curfew. They died so fast! I'm a little too tired and lazy to restring every session, so I will continue my quest for a solid 10 hour poly.

Comments: Strung the yellow at 55lbs tension in one piece on Prince Diablo Mid frame. Lost tension badly after only a few hours of doubles. The strings were very spongy and foam-like similar to a rubber band. The strings either absorb all the motion energy from the ball and stick to the strings or it restores far too much motion energy from the ball and the shots fly way too long. No additional spin from the geared profile for kick, top spin or cut. A disastrous troubling string on this frame. Very slack and sloppy string. Not recommended from my experiences. For this price, I feel like there is far better string. I wasted my money paying for a restring with this string. Used Kirschbaum Pro Line II 16 (1.30) previously and that wasn't too bad overall, considering it is a free stringing choice for most frame retailers. Certainly the Kirschbaum Pro Line II 16 (1.30) is at least three times better than the Volkl Cyclone 16.
From: Dave, 4/13

Comments: Phenomenal string. I used it on my Babolat Pure Drive 2012 GT, Head Radical MP, Volkl V1 Classic, Volkl PB7 and Wilson Kobra Tour. Typically I use Cyclone at 54-56 lbs in the mains and Luxilon ALU Rough at 56 lbs in the crosses, or Pro Hurricane Tour at 54-55 lbs in the crosses. Deadly combinations. Absolutely the best hybrid I've tried. I am an old timer and use a continental grip. Cyclone gives me just enough spin to keep the ball from over-shooting and landing right on the baseline when I range my swing properly. Slice serves - oh my! I tried both 16 and 17 gauge cyclone, 16 gave me a bit more because it protrudes more. There was almost no tension loss. And you have to remember, the crosses hold the mains-bed together so add a few lbs to Pro Hurricane and the mains will hold forever.
From: Joseph, 13

Comments: I've had these strings in for a little over a month now. I found some tension loss but it didn't make the stringbed soft like a set of RPM Blast would do after a mere two weeks. I did notice that the octagonal shape has worn off and now it is a smooth string. Unlike other players though, I didn't really feel it affected anything. I did have to put a little more effort to put massive topspin on the ball but there really wasn't any change in my average groundstroke. After trying many types of string, I think I have found my racket's soulmate, Volkl 16g Cyclone.

Comments: These strings are the best I've ever played with. They are great on all attributes and just an overall beast string. These strings have so much spin with the perfect combination of power for a poly. I can really rip on either a forehand or a backhand and be completely confident in that the ball will land in the court or on the line. So much control on these strings as well, along with touch and feel. It's true that like all other polys it will lose tension, but this is nothing that even a mediocre tennis player can't adjust to. Just an amazing amount of durability also. I've had these in for nearly two weeks and they are just now starting to bite in. On serve, it offers a great access to spin and allows to me to use my kick serve as both my first and second serve with how much pace i have picked up on my serve. I can hit the same speed with the most shallow angle with these strings. Just an awesome string. If you like RPM Blast, then you will love these because these play the same if not better than RPM Blast. I strung them at 55 lbs on a Head Youtek IG Speed Elite.

Comments: I consider myself a racquet and string experimenter. This poly is now one of my top 5 favorite poly strings. It's the best all-around poly for me. It's comfortable for a poly and has great tension maintenance. I like to string it at 54 lbs in a full job and at 58 lbs as the mains with a 58 lbs multi when I am practicing serves and ball machine.
From: Josh, 1/13

Comments: I put this in my C10 Pro, and even with the colder temps of December this string is comfortable. I strung it at 54 lbs but I may move up to 56 or even 57 when it warms up. It's the best poly I have personally tried. Better than RPM or Savage in my opinion.
From: Larry, 12/12

Comments: This is awesome strong! I changed from RPM Blast.
From: Robert, 11/12

Comments: I put this string in my Head Youtek IG Prestige Mid, and I hated the feel. Sure, I can put spin on my groundstrokes, and I can put bite on my serves and volley, but this string is so stiff that I can't feel the ball pocketing. I can't feel the ball on the strings. It is a punishing string to play with. I prefer the softer feel of the Sonic Pro or French Open Xcel. I don't care if the Cyclone lasts 2 months because I wanted to cut the string out immediately.

Comments: Really like how crisp and controlled this is. Put it in my Volkl V1 midplus after reading some of the playtest reviews!
From: DG, 7/12

Comments: Great control, great durability! Just switched from Luxilon and I'm totally happy.

Comments: I had been using Prince or Gosen synthetics before, but this Cyclone 16 is much better. More power, great control and spin, and more durable. The strings don't move around on me and they last more than 2 months (the synthetic gut strings used to last me 3-4 weeks). Great value, great all around string. I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Comments: Great string, lasts a long time (2 months max.). Allows a lot of power, spin and control. I love this string and I totally recommend it! This is the thinnest version of the cyclone! Love this string and will always play with it.
From: AW, 4/12

Volkl Cyclone 16 String - Where to go from here

Tennis String Reviews
Volkl Polyester Strings, Hybrids & Reels
VLOG #378 Week of Apr 11-17
Playtester Picks!
Jason Huang
Andy Gerst
Best Values (Price vs Performance)
Co-polyester Tennis String