Tretorn Micro-X Pressureless Tennis Balls x72 Customer feedback

Comments: Excellent training ball. The only ball I'll put in my ball machine. They're amazingly consistent even after 75 sessions. I replace them because they're dirty, not because they don't bounce well. Each bounce reaches the same height and each ball lands in a circle the size of a kid's hoola hoop. They do have a slightly heavier feel than Dunlop Heavy Duty pressured balls (I think those are the hardest pressured balls). I like this when training because it forces me to hit out on each stroke. When I switch to pressured balls for regular play, I swing out just the same and have great control and power. Well done Tretorn!
From: Scott, 10/14

Comments: I've been running tennis ball machine based fitness clinics a couple of times a week for the past year and a half. We started out stocking the ball machine with balls left behind by players, but as anyone can understand, that was almost worthless. We next bought a bunch of Penn Extra Duty balls, at Costco, but with 10-12 players in a session, these got worn out almost immediately. Did a bit of research and ultimately decided to go with the Tretorn Micro-X pressureless tennis balls for a trial. Well, it's a year and a half later and I think this was far and away the best and most economical decision we could have made for keeping the ball machine stocked with balls that make for a decent session for players...week in, week out, month after month. Are Tretorn Micro-X different than match play balls? Yes, slightly! However, if you are indeed that finicky, your various endorsement deals should provide you with a steady supply of regular tennis balls and you don't really need to be looking at using pressureless balls. The balls are slightly heavier than regular tennis balls, but unless you are training and playing every single day at a highly competitive level, chances are the only difference you'll notice when hitting these balls is the sound...a much crisper "plop" than you hear with regular tennis balls. The only time I've had players notice a difference is when some regular tennis balls, usually used and also somewhat low in pressure, get mixed into the ball machine hopper. Yes, those balls feel different when you hit them compared to the Tretorn Micro-X balls. BUT, if players are only hitting the Tretorn balls, they very quickly lose any sense that they are hitting a "different" ball. The ball behave very closely to a regular tennis ball. Instead they are able to focus on improving their technique, timing and movement without the hassle of inconsistency from one ball to the next. Actually, I think that's the real beauty of using these balls. Fill your ball machine hopper with these balls, yes it is a hefty layout of cash up front, and you get to have good consistent ball behavior throughout each session. That consistency is a huge benefit that is not mentioned nearly enough if you are a player that is "practicing with purpose". For heavy use of the ball machine, especially for high feed rates such as used for multi-line drills, there is currently, in my opinion and based on eighteen months of on-court experience, no better performing and, ultimately, more economical option than going with these Tretorn Micro-X pressureless tennis balls.
From: Jesse, 9/14

Comments: I decided to go ahead and buy the Tretorn X Pressureless balls after much research. I am a 4.5 player, 28 years old at 160 lbs playing with a Wilson 6.1 95S with poly mains at 53 lbs and Natural Gut Crosses at 56 lbs. I was looking for balls to go along with my Lobster Grandslam V LE ball machine. I am playing club matches 1-2 times a week and the machine for practice 1-3 times a week depending on my work schedule. I enjoyed playing with the Tretorn X for about 2 weeks and now almost 2 months later, it's pure frustration -- I am hitting bricks as they definitely kept their bounce but the felt wore off rather fast. I'm sore and my shoulder and wrist suffered tons. We play mostly with Slazenger Wimbledon balls and the difference is so big that I have a hard time switching my playing styles. I tried dropping my tension on my 2nd racquet accordingly to match the Tretorn X 'brick' balls but again, it messed with my match play. I will now go ahead and try different, 'cheaper' pressureless ball options that might not keep their bounce as well but as long as they are softer than the Tretorn it can only be better in my opinion. Too bad, really wanted to like them but the investment is just too high. Cheers.
From: Patrick, 8/14

Comments: I don't understand why you would buy these balls for a ball machine. I go to Costco and buy 20 cans of new, normal, pressurized balls from Costco for under $40. If you're practicing with a ball machine the whole point is to try and improve your strokes for actual matches where you will of course be using real balls, so why not practice with real balls? Acknowledging that Penn Extra Duty balls will go mostly dead after 2-3 months of hitting for 2 hours a day, you can buy 60 cans of those balls from Costco for the same price as 24 cans of Tretorn Micro-X. From a financial standpoint, it just doesn't make sense.
From: Rohan, 7/14

Comments: I think these balls work best when using a ball machine. They do bounce well. Question is, with a ball machine, how long will these last to make them worth it? The best pressureless ball I have used for sure. Pressurized balls with ball machines last about 3-4 months and then drop. I'll update with durability later.

Comments: These balls did not last as long as I liked and these balls quickly lost their pop by at the end of two hitting sessions. The bounce is noticeably lower and shorter than previous. There are no visible changes to the fuzz, but without bounce, I'm regretting having bought these and quickly trashing all of them. I would rather have bought cheaper balls to throw out if that were the case.
From: Vin, 5/14

Comments: I am always looking for a way to reduce my tennis costs as every week its new set of balls. My go to ball is Slazenger, followed by Wilson, then the cheaper Wilsons and Aldi balls and some others here and there. The cheap pressureless ones are pointless. I have only used these for three weeks. They bounce less than all of the above straight out of the can, but the others drop to their level after one set and all bounce less after three sets. They "feel" similar to the good Wilsons, but not as good as Slazenger. The cheap Wilsons and Aldi feel like rocks. They did bounce less after three sets They were not affected much by dew which really fluffs up the Slazengers. Felt stays true. It is great to warm up with these, then start playing with them rather than the graveyard of old balls followed by some really new ones. Summing up, I would love a big bag of these for practice, and will always have 4 in my bag for friendly weekend or kids games (if I pull out 3 week old pressurized ones they are flat, whether I played with them or not) but still prefer learning the skills required and the way the game changes from pressurized balls throughout the course of my weekly match.
From: Frank, 5/13

Comments: My friend bought a canister of 4 and lent them to me for a hit. The balls are a bit heavier than some of the other brands of traditional pressurised balls. I'd compare the 'hardness' to a Slazenger or Head pressurised ball. Upon first hitting with them, I thought they bounced amazing high - a bit artificially than regular balls but the bounces were consistent. Hitting was not a problem, the hardness probably does go away but they felt really crisp when I flattened my groundstrokes. They're very close to regular balls - the only issue with this and other pressurised tennis balls is that they bounce higher than usual balls but hitting wise they're great

Comments: I used these for a coaching session when I was working in the Caribbean, and they are as close to standard pressured balls as you will get and I was more than happy to have a rally session for a few hours with these. They work well in all temperatures and are very consistent over many months. Sure they cost a bit but in the long run you will save big as it means you're not having to purchase 120 balls every 4 weeks. Even for the rec player that hits once a week these will be a good investment. How many times have you seen players using dead pressured balls? For long life training and ball machine use these are the go to ball to use. Nothing comes close!

Comments: For me, these balls didn't quite live up to all the positivity in some of the reviews, but then again maybe I really didn't know what I was buying. From my point of view these balls actually exist between normal gas-pressured balls and pure pressure-less balls. When I squeeze them, they give much more than a normal gas-pressured and when using them in my ball machine (Silent Partner Lite) they behaved more like pressure-less balls. With all that being said, they were good for ball machine use overall. Consistent and predictable bounce. So for use in practice and grooving strokes off a machine or wall, I'd rate and recommend these highly. For live hitting with a partner and matchplay, I'll stick with normal pressurized balls.
From: J.J. 5/11

Comments: I have used these balls for a few years. I run them through a ball machine for the most part, but save a few for recreational match play. They never go flat and have a consistent bounce. I have to replace balls because the covers wear out or even come off, but not for a couple of years. I found that the seams often crack and split before the felt wears out, thus the comment about covers coming off. At first the balls feel slightly different compared to traditional pressurized balls - a little stiff or boardy. But for new balls the feel is much better than pressureless while closely approximating pressurized balls. However, a couple of sets or ball machine practice sessions and the feel softens (not to be confused with flat) and I can't tell a difference from pressurized. The balls aren't cheap but are a great value.
From: Lance, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 03/11

Comments: These balls definitely live up to their billing! They feel just a little heavier than normal balls at impact (most noticeable w/overheads) but nowhere near traditional pressureless balls. I bought a 96-pack for my Lobster (Elite III) & for practicing serving & they still bounce fine almost a year & 1/2 later. In fact, the only reason I'm replacing them (which is how I ended up here) is the felt has worn out (again - yr & 1/2 later).
From: Sid, Marietta, GA, USA, 02/11

Comments: I am glad to see these tennis balls for sale on Tennis Warehouse. I was in a tournament a while ago and we used these balls throughout. By far hands down these are the best balls I have ever hit with. They had a lively feel and play, which gave it a good, true bounce every time. The balls lasted the whole matched and were bouncing the same way they did when we opened them. Overall great tennis ball.
From: Anon, MN 01/10

Comments: Kudos to TW for finally stocking these excellent balls! The Micro-X are absolutely the best for ball machines, lessons or practice drills. Like a fine wine, the Tretorns only improve as they age :)
From: Bud, San Diego, CA 10/09

Comments: One of the best balls I have ever used and very glad TW has finally arranged to carry this one. Durability is terrific and they keep their bounce with no degradation in performance. Ball has a very slightly heavier feel but no negative effects on the shoulder compared to others. Very consistent performance and quality control appears to be high.
From: Art, Los Angeles, CA 07/09

Tretorn Micro-X Pressureless Tennis Balls x72 - Where to go from here

Training Balls

Penn Bucket Pressureless Tennis Balls (x48)