Comments: First some background. I'm a 4.5-5.0 teaching pro, probably closer to 4.5 at this point after shoulder surgery, developing severe tennis elbow, and getting older now. My racquet history since my surgery included the Pro Kennex 5g for several years, but as I got older I wanted more power, and the 5gs developed cracks in the region of the kinetic bead tubes, I decided to try the Roddick GT. Played really well, but developed the prior mentioned tennis elbow after a year. Messed with tension and strings, but could never get it to be comfortable, so I switched to the Pro Kennex Ki5 315, which played very similar to the Babolat, but without the pain. On the downside though, it just didn't have the feel of the 5g or even the Babolat and almost had a hollow feel to it. Played with one of my son's customized Speed IG MP 18x20 for several months and liked it, but I like a little stiffer feel. This brings me to the Speedport Black. Bought 2 of them on a whim (they were on sale, so it isn't really like your spending money) and my first impression is that, with the hole ports, strings and tension they came with, it's too powerful and completely lacks control (I ordered unstrung, but it came strung, so I figured I'd try them out in stock configuration). As far as comfort, no issues yet, stiff feel, but seems to dampen the high frequencies out. Balance and swing weight is really in the sweet spot for me. I haven't used them to give a lesson yet, but expect it to be effortless and comfortable based on the first few hours of hitting with them. Next week I'll put a poly hybrid setup in one and a set of tighter syn gut in the other and update my first impressions. I'm going to leave the ports for the added comfort and maybe I'll try the string hole inserts in the future and update again. Hope this helps.
From: Sean, 8/13

Comments: I love this racquet. The only downside is that it generates a ton of power for me, so string it tight. I love the large sweet spot.
From: Adam, 9/12
String tension: 58 lbs

Comments: Wow! I borrowed this racquet from a pro at my club and I was impressed from the get-go.So I bought one. This is the most amazing racquet! The port system expands the sweet spot out to almost the edge of the racquets hoop. It is powerful, controlling and forgiving. A great quality racquet. You can see the great craftsmanship that went into this racquet. I love it! It's the best racquet I've ever used! My game has improved dramatically since I started with the Speedport Black.
From: Burt, 8/12

Comments: This is the greatest racquet ever made! Hands down! It has a perfect blend of comfort, power, control and forgiveness. This beats any Babolat made! My game has improved dramatically since I started playing with this. Prince makes outstanding products. I've beaten 3 guys in the last 2 months that I could never beat before. They all play with Babolats too. How ironic since I used to play with an AeroPro Drive. The sweet spot seems huge with the port system.

Comments: I played with an AeroPro Drive for the last year and did good. However, I had been battling on and off soreness and tenderness in my elbow and shoulder. I really tried to stick with Babolat but the harshness was too unbearable. A pro at my club let me try his Prince Speedport Black and I really liked it, so I bought one. I noticed after 2 weeks that my soreness and fatigue went away and my game improved. The power, control, forgiveness and speed we're undeniable. I can't believe I didn't try a Prince before. I sold my Babolat and bought another Prince Speedport Black. I have been kicking butt ever since. By the way, I'm 40 years old.
From: Roger, 8/12
String type: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase

Comments: Better than a Babolat!! You will get the same power, better control, and a bigger, more forgiving sweet spot. The O3 Speedport system expands the sweet spot out to the frame which makes it bigger. Why drink the koolaide and get a Babolat when you can get the O3 Speedport Black and have more for less!! Besides, Prince has been around a lot longer than Babolat.
From: Bill, 8/12

Comments: Wow!! I had been playing with a Pure Drive for over 6 months and started to get soreness in my elbow and shoulder. I'm 47 and an all court guy. I play at a solid 4.0 level. The Pure Drive was tearing up my arm. No wonder Roddick's arm is dead. I eventually tried a Prince O3 Speedport Black. Wow!! What a difference!! I now have the same power that the Babolat had but also more control and more comfort. The port system is pretty cool. The sweet spot ends up being bigger than normal due to the liveliness of the string bed. I have the maneuverability at the net now and the power from the baseline. This racquet is a jack of all trades! My game and confidence has improved tremendously since I switched to Prince. Whoever invented the O3 Speedport system should get an award. Thanks Prince!!
From: Kevin, 8/12

Comments: A gem!!! A great alternative to the Babolat Pure Drive or Aeropro Drive. It does the same thing but is more forgiving and has a bigger sweetspot. Honest!! Prince was #1 not long ago. Most of the current pros and past legends played with Prince at one time. They may not dump millions into marketing like their competitors but in my opinion they make a great product and maybe a better product than the other big name companies. It's all marketing folks! Don't drink the Koolaide (Babolat). The O3 and Exo3 technology works really well and looks cool too. I went from not playing for 15 years back to a solid 4.0 in a decent amount of time. I'm in my 40's as well. Amazing balance of power and control with a nice forgiving feel. A great racquet!!
From: Andre, 7/12

Comments: Absolutely love this racquet! I've used it over a year now and it feels great. I get tennis elbow pretty easy and I haven't had it since I started using this. I recommend this to anyone!

Comments: Great racquet for serving,volleys and half volleys. Ground strokes are solid and powerful if you keep proper technique. Touch shots forget it, best to always make contact with some force. Great stick overall!
From: Aza, 6/12
NTRP Rating:4

Comments: Never been a fan of Prince until now. This is an excellent racket, play an all court game and as a player nearing 40 went for a lighter more arm friendly frame. I demo'ed it a few times against my Head Prestige Pro and I found this had more pop on almost everything especially serves. Able to get plenty of pop but can really flatten out my groundies with this and take a good cut at returns as has a large sweetspot. No secret that in my neck of the woods all the top players seem to have this racket
From: Ross, Canada, 11/09

Comments: Simply the best racquet out there that fits my playstyle. I was able to get a ton of pop on my half volley; good serves, volleys, and slices with the grommet inserts. The best thing about the speedport black is the sound it makes during the swing and the contact. This thing weights like 11 something once and the swing weight feels lighter than a 9 once racquet. A great tweener racquet for those who want to improve their game.I would recommend stringing it around 60-62 for best performance.
From: Kevin, CA 10/09
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane 60

Comments: I switched to the Speedport Black MP after getting one from a friend. I liked it so much I got 2 more frames. I also changed my strung to Pro Hurricane and Wilson NXT as the original frame had NXT and Gut which played great but I wore through the strings in about a week. My friends that I play on a weekly basis say my game has improved. Since switching from the O White, I think the SBMP has more power and control, and a lot better feel, but my stringing change might be contributing. I only problem is that I broke one of the frames hitting a serve, it cracked in the 10 o'clock position. This frame was the newest one of 3, and had the least wear. I am concerned because there is a mention of breakage of frames on the TW comment board for both the Speedport Black MP and Speedport Black Longbody. I am hesitant to recommend this frame due to the fact of the breakage. No receipt, so SOL. Last time a frame broke on me was 5 years ago.
From: Chris, San Jose, CA USA 10/09
String type and tension: Bab Pro Hur/Wilson NXT
Headsize:MP

Comments: This very well might be my next racquet. I wasn't overly impressed with the ground strokes. They were good though. When you swing this racquet it makes a WHOOSH noise. The whole time I demoed this racquet I was thinking Babolat's Aerobeam technology has NOTHING on speedport technology. And this racquet also has a 16x19 string pattern, so you should be able to generate the same amount of spin. I was able to hit slices quite well despite the wide beam (and it is very wide). What I was most impressed by was the volleys, however. It provided just the right amount of pop and was very stable. It was also good on touch shots and drop shots. Finally, the speedport technology also makes this one of the more maneuverable racquets I have ever played with. If you were considering the Babolat Aero Pro Drive (or a similar racquet), definitely give this one a try.
From: Nikhil B., Indianapolis, IN 09/09

Comments: When I first hit with the SPB I did not like the feel! I had no control and thought the racquet had a "trampoline" effect. The club Pro told me to stick with it for a few weeks and assured me that I would like it. After some time and trying different strings (Prince recoil) I am hitting the ball now with so much more power and control than ever and I am able to get out of trouble and return deep heavy balls far more easily. My serve, especially second serve, has increased power and "hop" and I have yet to pick up another racquet that comes close to the feel and power of the SPB. I have continued to try new Prince and other Brand Demo's and I am convinced this is the best racquet for me! I will certainly be looking at getting some more frames before production stops!
From: Alexi, Ormond Beach, FL 07/09
String type and tension: Prince Recoil, 60lbs.

Comments: I liked this racquet better than the O3 Speedport White MP. It is a stiffer more solid feeling stick than the white with its tighter stringing and lighter weight. You get a lot of racquet head speed with this stick, but I couldn't get a very good feel on the ball. I like the cushioned/ dampened feeling when hitting the ball and this stick didn't have it. Its great for anyone who likes a more solid feel.
From: Sara, USA 07/09

Comments:At first I wasn't impressed with this racquet at all. I felt like I couldn't control the ball at all and things were flying all over the place. I am a varsity player on my high school team and I am about a 5.0 level player. Fortunately, I broke a string and my friend didn't want to string it himself so he had me do it. I was able to put in my usual strings and fell in love with the racquet. I was getting tons of pop on my serve and I could easily rip forehands from all areas of the court. I am traditionally a Babolat guy but by sheer luck I have found the perfect racquet.
From: anon. 07/09

Comments: I got this racquet from a friend who said it was way to powerful for him. For me the feel on this racquet with this string combo is fantastic. The feel and feedback is great! Groundies, volleys, especially the serve just seems like it has a perfect response. I will play with it for a couple of months and probably be in the market for a couple more of these frames. I will try Pro Hurricane and NXT Tour to get a stiffer feel and possibly more control as I am having trouble on the drop shots. Probably a little more control would work for me.
From: chris, san jose, ca. 6/09
String type and tension: mains 62# 17G NXT tour xcross 60# babalot 17G gut

Comments: This is a very maneuverable racquet. I love the weight of it. I have switched frames quite a bit because of shoulder issues and I have found that this racquet seems to be the racquet of choice. It generates a lot of spin and the fact that you can customize it makes it that much cooler. I was skeptical of this racquet because of the light weight because I didn't want to feel like I was getting pushed around by someone who hit a heavy ball. However, playing with this racquet I find my self being able to be in control and when I do get pinned behind the baseline, the frame is stable enough to handle it. The light weight makes it great for volleys and my serve has never been better.
From: travis, pulaski, ny. 3/09
String type and tension: goldenset synthetic gut tension 60

Comments: Update on my Dec 08 Feedback on the Prince Speedport Black. As I have played more with this racket over the last month it has really grown on me. The weight and balance were always pretty good, but I had to get used to the wider beam and a little hotter stringbed (coming from an nBlade 98). The bottom line is that for me (all court 5.0) this racket is excellent in all aspects of play...except for touch shots. My slice backhand, which I was still trying to figure out on my first review, is now excellent with this racket. With the open string bed and solid feel I can hit very thick slice backhands and topspin on both sides is excellent. At this point I have been able to control the power and hit most shots deep and heavy IN the court. In summary this is a fun racket to play with. The only other minor thing to consider is that this racket is a string shredder. I usually get about 8 hours on my 18x20 poly/syn gut hybrid but this bad boy lasts half that long. All in all I like it and will continue to play with going forward.
From: David, Charleston. 3/09
String type and tension: Weiss Cannon SS 1.20/PSGD 16, 54/58

Comments: I've been using this stick for about two months now and I love it. I switched from my [K] Factor Six One and this one has a much better feel. It is lighter and has a better response. My groundstrokes are a lot deeper and my serve has way more pop. The only problem is control and consistency on groundstrokes but otherwise this racket is good for attacking players and doubles players.
From: John, Atlanta, GA, USA. 3/09
String type and tension: Prince Premier Synthetic

Comments: I love this racket! It has just the right amount of control and power. It also has a perfect weight and balance. I used a much lighter Babolat before and I am so glad I found this one. It is so much better!
From: Kyle, Myrtle beach, sc, usa. 2/09
String type and tension: Wilson nxt 16. 58lb
Headsize:100 sq in

Comments: I've had this racket for a while, but went back to it when I got disgusted with my Wilson "Serena" racket (no penetrating power). There were problems that others have addressed here, such as sprayed shots, but put a fresh set of Luxilon ALU Power strings at 54 lbs. and have had better success with accuracy due to the stiffer strings. You still have to take a good swipe at ground strokes, but the racket is solid and can handle heavy spin shots and hard serves. I do wish it was a little more headlight. If you buy this racket, try it with the Luxilon.
From: Mike, Louisville, KY, USA. 1/09
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU Power @ 54lbs

Comments: I just switched from Babolat Aeropro Drive to Wilson KFactor KFive to this racket, and I can feel the difference between using this racket. I love the pop sound and wow feeling. You have to try this racket to experience this feeling. I love using this racket for my backhand slice, overall this is a great racket.
From: Neilson, Indonesia. 1/09
String type and tension: Toalson ultimate 110

Comments: This is my first "player's" racket. My instructor recommended it to me. I am hitting serves bigger than ever and I have more pop and spin on my forehand. But I have lost some control and consistency on my backhand. But I know in time I will be able to bring my backhand back to life. I have the grommets in but might try the racket strung with them out. The racket lets me play more aggressive shots. My last racket was the Prince Warrior midsize.
From: Tony, Chula Vista. 1/09
String type and tension: mid tension

Comments: I'll agree with the last review in that if you can't control this racquet or it's slippin' out of your hands, something's wrong and it's not the racquet. To say it has more or less power/control depends on what you currently play with, obviously. I've always played the Head Radical MidPlus; no power, 1-2 pts head lt, thin beam, 18 main, etc. It's been a great control racquet, but I've always wanted to make the switch to a racquet with a bit more power and 16 mains. The Prince Black is very different; low to mid power, 5 pts. head lt, slightly thicker beam, 16 main, port inserts, slightly wider head as opposed to the oblong Radical, etc. At first, I was concerned about my decision, but after several hours of play, I LOVE IT! Many shots were spraying either long or wide and I kept framing my serves. The swing speed on this racquet is much faster than what I was used to, but again, after several hours of adjusting my timing, BAM!!! It's on! More topspin than with my old racquet and great pop when I flatten it. Haven't got the depth down on my volleys, but they do feel great and I can tell it's a matter of time before they come around. Also, for a stiff racquet, it certainly doesn't feel stiff. Great Racquet!
From: Randy, GA. 12/08
String type and tension: Big Banger on mains and a multi on the x's @ 61 lbs
Headsize: 100 sq. in.

Comments: A surprisingly good racket overall. Great job, Prince. I've been a Wilson guy for most of my life but thought I'd give the SPB a try for doubles. The racket has great control for players with solid, established strokes but even more so for better players who normally hit with significant topspin. Most surprisingly I found the racket very comfortable... dare I say...plush, especially considering its high stiffness rating. The racket also somehow feels more solid to me than the Pure Drive with or without cortex. The power seems to be about the same but to me the SPB has a more satisfying feel and sound at impact. My heavy topspin FH and 1H BH is significantly enhanced with better pop and weight than my with normal stick (nBlade98). My bread and butter BH slice is not quite there yet with this racket yet but that's something I'll fine tune quickly. Serving with this racket seems almost like cheating. Again, good power and control. Kick serves are also amazing. Volleys are good but not great yet. I also don't quite have the touch shots down yet with the SPB. I'm sure both of these things will improve as I spend more time with the racket. BTW...Those who have commented on the lack of control with this racket either were not good enough to use it or they simply had it strung wrong. Also, while I am fairly early with the SPB, I can't really comment on some of the bizarre breakage problems people mention below. I hit the ball extremely hard so we'll see how it goes. The people commenting about having the racket slip out of their hands (accidentally or on purpose) and breaking should be embarrassed to even mention such a thing. If you are a better player with topspin groundies looking for controllable power, definitely demo the SP Black!
From: David, Charleston, SC. 12/08
String type and tension: Babolat PHT 17/Prince SGD, 53/58, string-hole grommet
NTRP Rating:5.0

Comments: Great stick, especially for doubles. The bigger sweetspot makes off-center shots so much easier. However, this racquet is a little tricky to string with the Speedport grommets in if you do not have a brake on your stringer. Prince makes a special insert called a boomerang tool that forces and holds the string against the side of the speedport. However, TW does not carry it. Prince will send one, if you call them. When doing the cross strings, it is difficult to keep the strings against the side of the speedport hole. In addition, one of the grommet holes is covered by two strings by the time you are ready to push a string through it. Soft strings become especially difficult. I had to order a string guide (pathfinder) from Eagnas to keep from going crazy.
From: Mike, Grass Valley, CA. 11/08

Comments: My daughter has been using the racket. She likes it. But the frame seems fragile. She has broken 4 or 5 frames so far. Twice, when she was serving the racket flew out and broke the frame. It's a good racket but seems fragile compare to other rackets.

Comments: This racket has a nice blend of power to it, but it's a little too light when trying to return heavy balls. The extra swing speed that I got was great, but it didn't really make up for its lightness. That and the feel of the racket were the problems for me. Those aren't really big problems though, cause you can always add weight to the racket. For feel, I found that adding lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock gives a really nice sensation. Basically, give this racket a shot if you're looking for a racket in the 100sq in category.
From: Yoshi, MD, USA, 10/08

Comments: I loved playing with this racquet. I demoed this racquet from a coach with the speedport inserts. The racquet is really comfortable but it tended to "spray" with less accuracy when I aimed it deep. The power is good. It has a pop to it. I did really like this, but then I was able to use the Prince Speedport Tour (the orange one), and found that it was slightly heavier and had more accuracy. I currently use that now, but I would recommend this racquet to the double players for its easy maneuverability, serves, and volleys.
From: Dave, Chicago, IL, USA, 10/08

Comments: After coming from the Head Extreme Pro, I tried many racket brands I tried the Speedport Black and I was taken from the start. The quicker racket head speed through the air gives so much more pop and control at the same time. The string pattern enables rip off both sides and is certainly not lacking control. And I agree with one of the previous commentary, I didn't notice any inconsistency from the baseline, I would be more likely to be a technique problem then anything.
From: Patrick, Australia, 10/08
String type and tension: Luxilon BB Original @ 56

Comments: I love this racket so much that I bought a pair after using it for 2 weeks. It offers a lot of depth and spin in my shots. And I could do many down the line passing shots with this racket as compared to my previous Ncode 95. Maneuverability is great especially for last minute shots. Will definitely keep this racket for a long time.
From: Serene, Singapore, 10/08
String type and tension: Toalson Ultimate 115, 53lbs

Comments: I have played with the Babolat Pure Drive for years - this is the first racket I have tried that I have liked better. More power than Babolat - solid feel. Very stable at net. Worth a try.
From: John, Seattle, Wa. 9/08
String type and tension: Wilson sensation 17g - 62lb's

Comments: I love this racquet! Great comfort and maneuverability especially for volley and groundstroke. Less power than the O3 White but more control. I immediately improved my tennis. I recommend to insert a dampener for a very lovely pop.
From: Dave, Italia, Ancona. 9/08
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut17. 25 kg

Comments: This is my 1st real racquet since I have been using "recreational" ones since I started. This racquet has nice control and it was the first thing that caught me. I'm not a big fan of controlled shots, since I'm a beginner, I mostly focus on grounstrokes, but the racquet has helped me a lot especially with my volleys. The 16x19 string pattern provides a lot of spin even though I use an eastern forehand grip. I also noticed that it's easier to add spin to serves compared to my old sticks (obviously), and the speedports make this nice buzzing sound too. My only problem is my ground strokes are harder to control now because the racquet obviously has more power, but I think I can adapt eventually. I think I found the right stick for me. I hope mine doesn't break/crack like what happened to other people.
From: Robby, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 08/08
String type and tension: Prince Syn Gut Duraflex @ 58lbs

Comments: This racquet was just o.k. for me. I felt that I could generate a lot of power with it and I loved the quickness of the racquet. But, coming from a Volkl C10, and loving that racquet, I didn't like the power of it. I felt as if I couldn't take the big backswings or even full swings. Also, I was hitting the ball long all the time when I would try to hit a decent shot. I also felt that the racquet really lacked control, and that's exactly what I love about the Volkl. The only people I would recommend this racquet to is a doubles player or a player looking for a lot of power. If you're looking for control, you're looking in the wrong place. I'm a 5.0 player and play in a lot of USTA tournaments and am a first singles player at my high school.
From: Kevin, Stoughton, MA, USA. 8/08
String type and tension: Prince syn gut, 57

Comments: I just switched from a Head to this racquet and was a bit uneasy about it to start but I have really grown to like it a lot. I love the power and flexibility the inserts give my strings, and the control is great! Top notch racquet. I strongly recommend it! Great racquet. This thing is a beast.
From: Kacey, Minnesota, United States. 8/08
String type and tension: Prince Lightning XX

Comments: Great racket, but I have broken 2 frames already on overheads. O3 Black with the port inserts, I have never broken any racket in over 30 years, except for this one - and twice in only a few weeks. VERY discouraged because it plays great, but I cannot keep sending them back.
From: MP, Rochester, NY, USA, 08/08
String type and tension: Luxilon BB original rough at 52lbs, then at 55lbs

Comments: I switched over from a Babolat Aero Pro and at first I found this racket hard to control and inconsistent (with the port inserts), but about 30 minutes later I adjusted to it and was able to play with it. The specifications of this racket and the Babolat Aero Pro Drive were very similar and I thought I could use this as a backup racket, but when you play with both of them, you will find that the Prince swings faster than the Aero Pro, and it just feels different. I do like it, though.
From: Bob, CA, USA. 8/08
String type and tension: Wilson 62lbs

Comments: The feel of this racquet is unbeatable and delivers a solid shot even when the swing feels rushed. It is great for one or two-handed backhands and forehands can be delivered with a lot of extra topspin that I couldn't find with a cheaper prince airtight racquet. The power aspect allowed me to ace my friends back to back times, making my service games go a lot quicker. The use of the hole insert gives me a lot of control, without sacrificing much of my power. There is also a lot more spin on the ball when I try to slice, making this racquet perfect for my type of playing
From: Chris, Hampton Bays, NY, USA, 07/08
String type and tension: 60
Headsize: 100 sq. in.

Comments: 9/10. This racquet produces some amazing spin. I found some "tight" and co-ordinated groundstrokes on this racquet, especially off my forehand. This racquet is also great for serves - great depth and pace. The only drawback is that it has slightly too much power and not quite enough heft as I would like, but overall a great all-round racquet. I am struggling between choosing this and the KFactor K95 racquet.
From: anon, Auckland, New Zealand. 7/08
String type and tension: Prince synthetic gut-57 pounds

Comments: The first time I played with this racquet was at a local tourney . I broke a string on my Babolat Pure Drive, so I asked if I could demo this racquet because I wanted to try it out any way. I feel that this racquet hits a lot like my Babolat but with a lot more pop. It's specs. are very similar to my Babolats. But the best part of my game was my volleys. This racquet is definitely a keeper. And the red string looks and feels really sharp.
From: Dereck, Ohio. 7/08
String type and tension: Tecnifiber Red Code 17g.

Comments: I was ambivalent when I demoed this racquet last year and ultimately didn't buy it. But the amazing serving results stuck in my mind, and I decided to give it another whirl because my serves with the Prince Original Graphite were vulnerable to attack. This time I bought it. Lots of power and spin, terrific serves, solid volleys, surprising touch. The rap on this racquet is the occasional erratic groundstroke, and I'm not quite sure what that's about, but the positives well outweigh the negatives. Prince is now right up there with Volkl in making comfortable racquets, but Prince blends power and comfort better than anything I've used from Volkl.
From: Gene, Houston, Texas. 6/08
String type and tension: Wilson NXT 59 pounds

Comments: I had just purchased this racquet exactly one week ago, and I must say that I like this racquet better than the Prince White I was using before. I have noticed more power and my game has improved tremendously. This racquet really packs some punch on the ball. My serves have gained a little bit more pace and my volleys have improved as well. Now that I already own one of these racquets I will be definitely working toward purchasing another one like it.
From: Johannes, Panama City, FL, USA. 6/08
String type and tension: Prince Duraflex 17 gauge
Headsize: Midplus

Comments: I love this racquet. I switched from the 03 White racquet. I feel like I have more control and just more feel with this racquet. If I had to say one thing negative about this racquet it would be serving with it. I don't feel like I have as much control on the serve, but everything else is great.
From: kyla, IN, USA. 6/08
String type and tension Luxilon Big Banger, at 62

Comments: I have been using the Speedport for 6 months already. I am a baseline basher. My previous rackets were the Prince NXG Graphite and Head iRadical. The string port insert gives a dampened feel and comfortable feel despite its high stiffness. The string hole insert gives the racket a very harsh feel similar to Babolat Pure Drive rackets. Overall, my shots did improve a lot after using the racket. The O3 technology allows one to wing faster, thus generating a lot of power for full swings especially from the baseline. However, despite the comfortable feel, I developed tennis elbow after using for a month. At first I thought it was my technique that cause the elbow problems. However, after trying flexible frames like Liquidmetal Radical temporally for 2 weeks, I realize that it was the racket that caused the elbow. After using it once a week for the 6 months, the tennis elbow persists. I believe it has to do with the high stiffness. Thus I will not recommend this racket for players with tennis elbow. Nevertheless, I am also reluctant to change to another model as it is a very good racket for all court players and it did improve my game thanks to the fast swing speed and big sweetspot.
From: Jonas, Jakarta, Indonesia. 6/08
String type and tension: Pacific Polysoft 16L, 58 Ibs

Comments: This is a great racquet for groundstrokes and volleys. The feel is great and the racquet comes through the ball so quickly with great control. The only problem I could find wrong with this racquet is the serving was mediocre at best. The racquet had no heft behind the serves and my kicker was terrible. I am a power baseliner, but this racquet was just terrible for my serves. Great Spin, Good Control, Great Feel/Volleys, Not enough heft, Serve felt too "stringy."
From: J.C., Chicago, IL, USA. 6/08
String type and tension: Babolat VS Natural Gut 17

Comments: This racquet is no good. It has too much power for my game. The worst thing about this racquet is that the grommets break (string hole insert). This is terrible because I constantly had to get new grommets. Bad racquet, just bad.
From: Chase, Oklahoma City. 6/08
String type and tension: 63

Comments: I've been using this racquet for 6 months, and I can't think of anything wrong with it. Having said that, the string don't last half as long compared to other sticks I used in the past. Maybe it has something to do with the string pattern on this racquet?
From: Lim, Sunnyvale, CA, USA. 5/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Alu Big Banger 55lbs.

Comments: This was a pretty good racket. It lasted me a whole season. I had to change strings nearly every two weeks. It gave good topspin, but it didn't give much spin on the slice. I had finally got acquainted with it, but then the frame broke. It was fun while it lasted; it was quite sturdy nevertheless.
From: Kengi, Oxnard, CA. 5/08
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane Tour, 63lbs

Comments: I love this racquet! I bought this racquet 8 months ago. At first I wasn't sure about the racquet. I played around with strings and tension combos, and I strung it with Signum Pro Plasma Hextreme 16L in the mains @ 50 lbs and KLIP Legend Natural Gut 16 in the crosses @ 53 lbs. BINGO! I found my love! Incredible power and control on both sides. (Gary, you asked about a good string for topspin for this racquet. Signum Pro Plasma Hextreme is a great string for any racquet.) I play mostly singles at least 3 times a week and I'm a all court player. This racquet works well on all points of my game. I will buy a 2nd one for a back-up.
From: Dennis,Burnsville, NC, USA. 5/08
String type and tension: Signum Pro @ 50lbs mains & KLIP Legend @ 53lbs crosses

Comments: The first time I've ever played a racquet that felt like it had a mind of its own...and a solid, consistent one at that! I've had a hard time explaining this to people, but the Speedport Black rewards you for not overhitting. That is, if you use proper technique and just "stroke" your shots, the racquet seems to do the rest. The ball just explodes. Whenever I get inconsistent using this racquet, I simply dial back to fundamentally sound swings, and the winners start coming. On serves or groundies, when you have time to plant yourself and make a sound swing, the results are amazing. Overswing, however, and the racquet seems to deaden. Think of the "Medicus," that weird training golf club that collapses if you overswing. That's the best analogy I can come up with.
From: John, Midland, MI, USA, 04/08
String type and tension: 16 poly

Comments: I did a lot of research before even demoing this racquet, and I knew I would like it, but after playing with it I was blown away. The speed of the racquet let me get to hard-to-reach returns and gave me great control. All I can say is it is amazing. If you are a fast pace, control player, this is for you.
From: Ryan, The Woodlands, TX, USA. 4/08
String type and tension: Prince Recoil mains at 61, Luxlion ALU Power crosses at 55.
Headsize: mid-plus

Comments: I don't know what everyone is talking about. This is a great racquet, and it has excellent control. I switched over to this racquet from the Diablo XP, and I found that I get a lot more control and a lot more power from this racquet. The O3 series is the best series out there. It goes through the air so well. It's not just for great doubles but singles too. This is the best racquet out there.
From: Ryan, Marlton, NJ, USA. 4/08
String type and tension: Prince Syn Gut with Duraflex

Comments: If your spend time getting used to the Speedports, you will love them. Great spin and control. Huge sweetspot. My opponents really comment on the sound from the racquet or, rather, the lack of it because I am getting so much brushing on the serves and strokes. Also, if you used the port holes at a lower tensions, it seems to work better.
From: David, Fairfax, VA, USA, 04/08
String type and tension: Gut/Poly hybrid at 55

Comments: All I can say about this racquet is "AMAZING!" I have been a loyal Wilson racquet user for years, but I just needed to make a change as I couldn't find the blend of control and power that I was looking for, so I did some research, checked all the specs, and read all of the comments on this racquet and ordered one with NEVER demoing it. The first swing I took with it I knew I had made the BEST choice in a racquet in years. I have only hit with it for 3 hours, that's 3 straight hours and my arm/shoulder felt fine after, and I can definitely see the game improvement potential with this racquet as my hitting partner did also. He commented immediately on the much improved pace, spin and weight of the ball compared to my K Six One 95 16x18. I am amazed at the amount of topspin, slice, angle and pace that I can produce now. I think I'm in love! Wilson better look out!
From: Paul, SW Florida. 4/08
String type and tension: Gamma TNT2 16 @ 60# using Speedports
Headsize: 100 of course!

Comments: The strings that I demoed with didn't help, but I found it hard to stay consistent. I didn't have a lot of confidence going for return winners anymore, and to play well with this racquet I had to be hitting sublimely. I did, however, enjoy the power and the generous sweetspot. I would suggest demoing it with poly strings at a tighter tension.
From: Andrew, Australia. 3/08
NTRP Rating: 4.0-4.5

Comments: I recently purchased this and loved it. Incredible power and control on both sides. Not as much pop on the serve as my old Diablo. Use the String Ports. Recently lost some control of soft shots and power strokes. Don't know if it is related to older string causing a decrease in tension. Would like to get some feed back from users experimenting with the different ports (Mixing String on top open on sides and vice versa). Looking for a good string for topspin for this racquet.
From: Gary, Atlanta, GA, USA, 03/08

Comments: To those that have complained about lack of groundie control, I tried stringing it on the low end of the tension scale with a hybrid using the port inserts. I previously used the string inserts, but changing to the ports gave me much more control and feel and I have plenty of power with the hybrid string and no elbow problems, yet.
From: Mike, Louisville, KY, USA, 03/08
String type and tension: Gamma Zo at 50 lbs (polyester mains) and 55 lbs (crosses)

Comments: This racquet surprised me. Out of the other 3 racquets that I tried (Wilson, Babolat, Head) I wasn't expecting this one to work at all. I thought I would give it a try since my very first racquet was a Prince Graphite that my dad found in a garbage can when I was 7 years old (I'm 31 now and have played in many open tournaments). I didn't get a chance to hit many serves or volleys with the racquet, but on the groundstrokes it felt comfortable and was able to hit very solid from both sides. I would like to add a bit more weight and play with the string tension to really dial it in. I'm still in the process of trying more racquets (I'm departing with my Wilson 6.1 Classic that I've played with for the past 14 years), but this racquet is at the top of my list.
From: Jason, Carlsbad, CA, USA. 3/08

Comments: What a huge change in my service and net game! I recently switched to the O3 Speedport Black after demoing it from TW. I think I finally found my racquet calling. I use the Port inserts as they give a larger sweetspot and more dampening. There is significantly more pop on my serves compared to my trusty Wilson nPro Surge, which was great 'tweener stick. I get a lot more topspin and hit more kick serves with this stick as it easy to maneuver. I found my net game to have a lot more control as well. I was able to do really nice volleys without going long when I punch and the drop shots were well executed too. I am also getting solid top spin on both my forehand and backhand strokes (single handed). The one thing I need to work on with this stick is my baseline game. I seem to hit the balls long - and that's mostly because this one generates more power.
From: Mahesh, New Windsor, NY, USA. 3/08
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex 16
Headsize: 100 sq in

Comments: I liked the demo of this racquet enough to buy one and experiment with string tensions. With the port inserts, there was just a little too much trampoline for me (but no tennis elbow). I then switched to the string port inserts and strung with Laserfibre XRC 17 at 61#. Within 10 minutes, my elbow started to hurt. I added a Gamma Snake dampener to the racquet, but my elbow was getting worse. I liked the swingweight and maneuverability of the racquet, and my volleys improved, but the tennis elbow was a negative. The racquet also had a tendency to "throw" some wild groundstrokes. It seemed like if I made 10 groundstrokes exactly the same, one or two would just "launch." I couldn't figure out what to change to get rid of the wild behavior.
From: AK, Kentucky. 2/08
String type and tension: Laserfibre Phenom XRC 17 61#
Headsize: Midplus 100

Comments: I just love this racquet. It plays so much better than the K Factor. It has a nice feel and a lot of control.
From: Waness, New York. 2/08
String type and tension: Gosen 52lbs

Comments: Have you noticed that in the review, the best player, Granville, had no trouble with consistency? After all, the racquet must be good if several pros are using it. My experience with the Black after switching from the nTour Two 105 is that this racquet is a huge step up. My groundstrokes, even when I'm off balance, penetrate deep and hard. True, in the beginning my shot did sail long. But now, after brushing more up on the ball, I am hitting hard in balls with lots of spin. Groundstrokes aside, everything else on this racquet is surreal. Serves, volleys and returns are great. I especially love putting away points with this racquet. If lack of control is your only reason for not buying this racquet, buy it anway! The control and precision are just fine, and the increased power does not sacrifice control. It just took me about 5 minutes to get used to this
From: racquet, and I've been playing great for two weeks!
Jon, Cincinnati, OH, USA. 2/08
String type and tension: Wilson Synthetic Gut

Comments: I really had to work the racquet to get enough pop. Anything less than a full swing, and the ball just sits up. Same on serve - I kept seeing the ball come sailing past me unless I really launched into the ball, and then there was better spin and pace. I really need to put some lead tape on to build up the mass. It's great for kick serves, lobs and drops because of all the spin. With the inserts in, the frame sounded really tinny at anything less than full on, then it sounded and performed a lot better. I hit a few too many long balls when I lost the feel for where the face was. Funny, but I preferred it for singles over doubles, where I had less time for a full stroke. I started to get a niggle at the bottom of my elbow after a couple of hours, which is something I never get, even mucking around with a wooden Snauwert Gottfried. I preferred the O3 Tour, even if the tension just drops out of the strings after one hit. The Speedport Black seems to keep the tension well, and I didn't break any strings, even if they were just the synthetic that came with the racquet. All in all, some plus points but not enough to make me change, and without customization the big hitters will blow you away.
From: Austin, UK. 2/08
String tension: 58

Comments: The Speedport Black is a great all-court or doubles specialist racquet. I've found that heavier smaller- framed player-type racquets help my baseline game by adding consistency to my groundstrokes and allowing me to swing big and hit on the run. Lighter, more oversize racquets are best at the net, on overheads, and when trying to block back tough serves. This racquet is the perfect compromise. Use the port inserts with your favorite polyester string and you'll be happy. One downside: This racquet has a wide profile typical of more oversized rackets and yet the head is not oversized. I get more framers than I'd like, and if you have a sharply angled topspin generating forehand, you might as well.
From: Brandon, Kansas City, MO, USA. 2/08
String type and tension: Big Banger ALU Power

Comments: I love this racquet. I took this out for a demo a few days before tennis tryouts. I never even played with it until tryouts. It helped me get on the high school varsity team. I did well with this racquet on groundstrokes and especially volleys. It had nice power and control. It has nice feel, and it doesn't feel as stiff as the specs say.
From: Jeff, San Jose, CA, U.S.A. 2/08
String type and tension: 60

Comments: I too found myself addicted to this stick at first, only to become disappointed a few weeks later. The groundies are just too wild! Volleys are good and serves are decent, and of course the manuverability is above par. However, stability and consistency are just off in some way.
From: Charles. 2/08
String type and tension: Babolat Attraction 16g

Comments: I have used the racquet for about 4 months on a daily basis. I liked the racquet at first, but the groundstrokes are a little unpredictable. I like serving with this racquet but is too light of a racket for the volley game against big hitters. I have also managed to crack two racquets around the 9-11 clock range on off-center groundstrokes.

Comments: This racquet has a huge sweetspot compared to my old racquet, which was a Prince Air O Scream. Power is great, and the port holes have a nice solid feel. My serve has really improved with power and accuracy. Sometimes this racquet is explosive!
From: Floyd, Minnesota. 1/08
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex @ 62lbs
Headsize: 100 sq in

Comments: I'll keep it plain and simple. I use my speedport without the string hole inserts and love the swing speed I get from it. At first it takes some time to get adjusted to the swing speed but after you do, you get nice solid groundstrokes and get great maneuverability at the net. The only unimportant problem I have with it is that you're apparently not supposed to use hybrids with it, which forced me to find a new string. So far I haven't found any GREAT strings that compliment the racquet style and my playing style, but that shouldn't hold you back from this awesome racquet!
From: Ryan, Spring, TX, USA, 01/08
String type and tension: Prince Lightning XX 16 gauge
Headsize: 100 in.

Comments: Speedports really do work. The first time I put my hands on the racquet, I was shocked to see how much faster my swing was. My serving has improved marginally, I can get a little more pop on my kickers, slices and flats. Volleying is pretty nice, too, and I like the pop I get when I put away shots. There's good access to spin, so I can slice and hit topspin great. The control issue is there, though. I'm popping more shots than I'm used to, but I'm sure control will improve after I get used to the racquet. Overall it's a great racquet, I would recommend it.
From: Jonathan, MN, USA. 1/08
String type and tension: Prince Duraflex Synthetic Gut 16
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments:I recently switched to this racquet, after trying a lot of the new prince O3 racquets. I am beginning to really like it. Good weight, feel, and power. This stick is very solid at the net - if you hit the sweet spot you will have some serious pop on your volleys. My kick serve has a lot more kick and serving in general has improved for me. For whatever reason, I've had a little trouble finding my forehand - which is generally my best shot...I've had a tendency to dump forehands in the net? ? The racquet is awesome for slicing backhands...it keeps nice and low. The sweetspot is noticeable on off center returns of serve and allows you to get the ball in play. All in all this is a very good racquet that I would recommend to players of all levels.
From: Brian, Atlanta, GA, USA, 01/08
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16/Prince Syn Gut Hybrid

Comments: I used to use the 03 White, but out of curiousity, I wanted to try Speedports. After demoing the racquet, I was amazed! I read about the Speedports as much as I could, and I became skeptical whether it really made a difference. It did. The first time I hit a ball, the feel was so different. It gave off more control and touch that I wanted from my 03 White. It's a little heavier than the White, but I get a better game out of it. Wonderful racquet!
From: Michelle, Texas. 12/07
String type and tension: Synthetic gut @ 58 lbs.

Comments: I had a bad experience with this racquet. I kept breaking strings next to the holes at the bottom and top. After the third time, my pro strung it with tougher strings and now I have a case of tennis elbow, which came on slowly but now has put me out of commission for a month. I am putting this racquet in the closet--and getting something else.
From: Carol, Orland Park, Illinois. 12/07

Comments: Along with many other people, I was skeptical at first because of the whole makes your swing faster. But after trying the racquet, there actually is a difference. After that my game improved, and most of my entire serve improved tremendously. There is much more pop to my serve. I would recommend this racquet to everyone who is looking for an all around performing racquet.
From: Richie, Lancaster, CA, USA, 12/07
String type and tension: Prince Lightning XX 18 @60 lbs.
Headsize: 100 sq in.

Comments: Great all-around racquet. No glaring weakness. I had never played with a Prince racquet before (all Wilson) until I demoed this baby. Figured the 25% faster swing speed O3 technology claim to be a gimmick. Boy was I wrong. I'm quicker through the ball on all my shots (groundstrokes, serves, volleys, and overheads) thanks to the O3 Black. I tried both sets of grommets and chose the port holes. One suggestion; if you demo the port holes make sure you don't have a dampener installed as it will suck the life out of your power (if you string with the hole grommets a dampener works fine). If you're not a string breaker like me I would string with 17s because there is great spin (top and chop) with the open string pattern. I would also string in the upper end of the range for the port holes to add a little extra control.
From: Mark, St. Augustine, FL, USA. 12/07
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament String 17 @ 60 lbs

Comments: If you are shopping for a racquet with wicked topspin, awesome swing speed and ample power look no further as this 03 will give you all these and more. It is also ideal for the serve and volley doubles players. However, if you are glued to the baseline relying on groundies with pinpoint precision, you may find the consitency and the control a bit problematic. I have two of these black beauties from Tennis Warehouse, one with port insert and the other with hole insert.The port string provides a cushiony feel and is very arm friendly while the hole insert gives a tad more control accompanied by a distinct ping noise. Certainly one of the best racquet ever to come off the production line.
From: Bakthan, Anaheim, California. 12/07
String type and tension: Babolot Pro Hurricane Tour 16
NTRP Rating: 3.5 to 4

Comments: Since my initial posting in September, I have gotten a lot better with this stick. I play mostly doubles and the guys I play have noticed an improvement in my game. I have become more confident and aggressive. My serves are really the key factor to playing better. I get great control on placing the serves where I want. My volleys are more consistent and crisper. I think this is the best racquet Prince has produced since the POG series came out many years ago. I have the string hole inserts all four racquets.
From: Mike, Huntersville, NC, USA. 12/07
String type and tension: Gamma Live Wire Pro 17g 61 & 63

Comments:Great racquet. I have demoed at least 10 racquets, including Nadal's Babolat, Wilson's, Yonnex, Dunlop, Volkl, Head and even Fisher (all with an open pattern,16x19). I used to play with Wilson and lately with Prince. I thought that upgrading the racquet and changing it to another would help me. After I have tried some other o3 I didn't believe that hitting against my ball machine with the black o3 I will get from the first shoots almost a 100% over the net and in. With the port system I got a weird noise and I would say not enough power, but without the port system I started hitting my shots again (not a clear conclusion, yet). I hit the FH with a semiwestern grip, and I can tell you that is a heck of a shot from any spot on the court, the BH I start hitting with 2 hands and contact with one hand, great control and feeling. Slice is awesome, serve also and volleys are allowing control. A pleasant racquet, definitely for someone who is looking for a quick swing, compensating for someone with not much power or explosion. If you have a great explosion is a lethal racquet. I am still learning, trying different strings (also gauge) and tensions. I also believe that it is a great stick for the return of the serve.
From: Csongor, NJ, USA, 11/07
String type and tension: still testing different strings

Comments: I switched from the Babolat AeroPro Drive. I get even better topspin because the string pattern on the Speedport Black is more open. In particular, even though they have the same number of strings, there are fewer in the center sweetspot of the Speedport Black. It does cause less control, but I don't really worry about hitting the ball out due to my heavy topspin. I also like the solid frame for better feedback and touch on volleys. There is not as much heat on serves, but better kick. I also like the longer handle for my two-handed backhand.
From: David, Alringon, VA, USA. 11/07
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Proline 2 at 60 pounds

Comments: A friend of mine was demoing this at our country club while I demoed a MicroGEL Radical OS. During our break we swapped and got back out. I could tell it was a nice hefty racquet, but when I was out and swinging, it could've been 8 oz., and I couldn't tell the difference. I could get SO much swingspeed on it. I could crush balls left and right. When serving, I could get the ball in better, but I still found much more pop from the less frequent MicroGEL OS. Even though my groundstrokes were awesome, I couldn't get any true touch shots. I am a frequent user of the touch shots, my game would truly be nothing without it. If you're a good ol fashioned baseliner, this bad boy's for you!
From: Alex, Spring, TX, USA. 11/07

Comments: Honestly, I've never felt this way about a racquet before. It's funny how love sometimes comes along when you least expect it. "Speedy" and I were casually introduced last week at my club. I'm telling you the truth; I had no expectations. As a matter of fact, I'd become jaded about the whole "relationship" thing. You see I'd stopped thinking, long ago, that there was a racquet out there meant just for me. OK, true, I've been through a lot of 'em and, probably, most of it was my fault. I know that now. I'm not proud of it. But, after the second time Speedy and I hit together, I knew there was something different about her, something...special, something that would make me a better man. I invited her out to dinner that night. Over a bottle of wine - and then another - we talked about the things that were truly important to us. Both of us soon realized we wanted the same things from a relationship: a big topspin forehand, a wicked kick serve, touch, spin, pop. She told me she'd give it all to me if I was willing to make the commitment. I leaned over, looked into her strings and gently carressed her handle. She instantly responded with that little "woooosh" sound she makes when you swing her around. Right there and then, I wanted to pull her grommets off and string her like I'd never strung a racquet before. I called the waiter over, paid the check and we got out of there as quickly as possible. Once we got back to my place, one thing led to another and... well, I think you can guess the rest. She moved in with me the next day. I'm a changed man; truly I am. I realize all those other racquets never meant a thing to me and I'm ready to settle down with Speedy. Every time I hit with her I want to cry with joy and I don't care who knows it. My love has no shame.
From: Gerry, Louisville, KY, USA. 11/07
Prince Multifil Syn Gut

Comments: Great racquet all around! As a previous owner of the O3 white I can say that the speedport black has a familiar feel but leans more towards a players racquet. I had been using a K95 before this but had to make the switch back to Prince due to tennis elbow and shoulder problems. I can definitely say my swing speed has increased and there is a noticeable difference in pace on my serves and groundstrokes. So far I have only strung this racquet with the port inserts and have found the feel and control to be adequate with a full poly string job. The only downside I can give this racquet vs the K95 is that it does not feel as stable on return of serve and I cannot be quite as aggressive but other than that this racquet is everything I was hoping it to be and more. I seriously doubt I will ever own another racquet that does not have some kind of prince "O or speedport" technology in it.
From: Chris, Keller, TX, USA, 11/07
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 @ 53lbs

Comments: I found the Speedport Black to be an interesting racquet. The first time I hit with mine it was strung with a hybrid of Luxilon and a synthetic. I found it actually to be a little dead, so I switched to a full set of Yonex Super Tour 850. This made a big difference, but I still found the SPB to have decent control. I actually got more pop off the ground and less on the volley and the serve, which seems to be the opposite experience of everyone else. The racquet feels pretty dampened with the port holes, not too stiff, which I was worried about. Spin is very good and you can tell a difference moving the frame through the air. However, I did not volley as well with the frame as with my Volkl BB10 as it felt a little less stable. I also found touch shots a little difficult, but as with any racquet it will take some time to get used to it.
From: Anthony, Austin, Texas, USA. 11/07