Prince Tour Diablo Midplus Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: Three words I've been wanting to say for literally a couple years now: "My new frame!" I finally hit with this for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought it was horrendous. Tiny sweet spot, lack of stability etc. Then after a couple of hours the Kirchbaum Super Smash Honey strings in it that loosened up, and the racquet started pocketing the ball and cradeling it for serious spin. Comfort and results improved dramatically when this happened. I started ripping topspin shots, Juan Carlos Ferrero type spin on both forehand and backhand. Slices started having some bite. Then I went into a zone where I just couldn't miss either down the line or crosscourt lasers. My hitting partner and I play rally points and I won 16 straight when we are normally about dead even. I've seen some comments about it being weak on serve, but I didnt notice this so much. I do think its weak on volleys, very weak in fact. However the volleys tend to land short instead of go long and I'll take that trade off anyday. I volley short much of the time on purpose anyway. No racquet has everything, but this one's flaws are those I can work around with touch at the net and angle volleys. I'm a rally player. I don't blow anybody off the court with power. If that's what you want this absolutely is not your stick. But for a topspin grinder, or clay courter, it's awesome. I added lead to 3 and 9 for a little extra stability and a ton on the handle to make it super whippy and headlight. My final setup is 12 oz, balance of about 31.5 cm.
From: MJE, 9/12
String type: Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey 15g

Comments: I don't get what the beef is with these racquets. I just came from using a Wilson BLX Tour 95 model, and I don't regret the switch. The Tour Diablo MP has a lighter swing weight and absolutely more control. My BLX's were giving me elbow problems because they were so head heavy. Everything I hit with those rackets either went long, or I had to take off a lot of speed to keep them in. The Diablo took me about a day to understand what I need to change. They are perfect for the ground game, which I didn't have confidence in before. I can put the ball wherever I want, at what speed I want. Back hand slices do fly a little long, but I made the adjustment and they hit the back of the court perfectly. The only sacrifice I gave up was the speed on my serves. The Diablo does lose a little power on the serve, but they are tour rackets anyways. You should be able to generate that power or else it wouldn't be a tour racket.
From: Glen, 4/12

Comments: Seems only here can we find some stock now. The production variance is huge, and mine needs to be customized so seriously that others may not even recognize it, esp. under the Babolat tape :D, yes it's still sweet as ever, hope it will last forever too. For backhand sailing, I guess higher string tension would help. For those who don't think customization is necessary, you are lucky to have the right one.
From: PS60@tt.tenniswarehouse, 01/11
String type and tension: Prince SDG 16 @59

Comments: This is the most fun and feel one can have. It allows you to be an athlete and spend more time looping a full majestic stroke without worries of flying wicked topspin rallies long. It also allows you to improvise, again being an athlete, not relying on a racquet itself for power. Tennis is a much more gratifying game with an extension of your body like this one. My only complaint is that slice can float a bit high...perhaps b/c it is so thin, flexible and bifurcated in the throat that the top of the racquet flexes out on slice shots hit too high (when horizontal) on the head. Would be interested if anyone else has noticed this? I wonder if the good folks at Prince argued about a horizontal cross-bar when the Diablo mp was released. All in all, I come back to it and always find it the most reward and entertaining of anything else.
From: Kenneth, Austin, TX, USA, 12/10
String type and tension: 60 poly mains, 62 gut cross

Comments: Just one of the most control orientated sticks I have played with. The open stringbed gives a very nice pop. You may think that the stick needs some customization by adding weight. Solution to this: You have to keep in mind that a full and long stroke is absolutely necessary for this type of racket.
From: Chris, Netherlands, 12/10
String type and tension: Signum Poly Plasma 16g
Headsize: MP

Comments: I spent this last summer demoing and purchasing sticks in hopes of finding a new line to replace my Diablo MPs. My frustration with the Diablo MP is the wildly inconsistent QC with Prince, and that it is being phased out. However, I customized both sticks to 331 SW, added lead to both where needed to match static weights and balance and these sticks now sing! I have added Head YouTek Prestige MP, MG Rad, Prince Rebel, and Wilson kPro Tours, and while all of these had tremendous highlights (I have never driven my backhand overhead as cleanly as with the YouTek Pres MP), none instilled the confidence allowed me to play the level of tennis I play with my Diablos. Doubles and singles, I hit with top off both sides, end up playing all court game often times, and can kick, slice, and hit flat serves, all performed well with the Diablo MP.
From: Ortho, Manhattan, KS, USA, 11/10
String type and tension: MSV Focus Hex 17/Gosen MS 17 50/54; Ashaway monogut 50

Comments: Great stick for players seeking control. POG is actually my first favorite but have to admit that the Diablo is really great for playing doubles. You can scrape half court balls from the gravel with it. Adding a little bit of lead in the top and the bottom does the trick for me.
From: Ton, Netherlands, 10/10
String type and tension: Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24mm, 27 KG
Headsize: Midplus

Comments: This is a pretty good arm-friendly racket. Everyone has their different idiosyncrasies with different rackets and I had a few: My (two-handed) backhand was really good (which is unusual), forehand and serves less so (less unusual). Room for a bit of customization but I think an extra cross string in the string bed would be of benefit. The big 100sq" headsize with a very open 16x18 string pattern is great I'm sure for spin-meisters but less for flatter hitters like myself. Extra 1/4 of an inch length not at noticeable. Good all-round frame.
From: AJB, London, UK, 08/10
String type and tension: Gosen ProFrom Tuff 15L @ 58lbs
Headsize: 100sq"

Comments: Best money I ever spent. I was inconsistent hitting it, until I switched to a western grip. Now, I am RIPPING forehands with GREAT topspin. Also, this axe is an AMAZING counter-puncher and very sharp on the net. I love it.
From: Nate, Syracuse, NY, USA, 08/10

Comments: GREAT! This jewel has come back. Maybe PRINCE finally gets to know that this is the only good racket they've produced in recent yrs. I'm glad that there will be new batch in the market 'cos mine is getting a bit old but sweet as never. PS. As I said earlier (2 yrs ago), it has to be seriously modified!
From: PS60@tt.tenniswarehouse, HK, 08/10
String type and tension: Prince SGD16 59#, want to try PSG Original next time
NTRP Rating: maybe 3

Comments: I demoed the mid sized and it was pretty hard on my shoulder, during my serve especially. I really like the open mains. It really helped my forehand. On my old racquet (head lm radical mp) the closed string pattern got good speed but less control and spin. I'm getting to hit harder now and I'm looking for a good control racquet that offers a lot of spin. This is the racquet I was looking for.
From: Malachi, IN, USA, 09/09
String type and tension: mains: Gamma poly xtra, crosses: Gamma syn gut

Comments: No doubt one of the best racquets I've used in my life. I tried many racquets in the past years, honestly not many have satisfied me, but this one is a keeper. I bought two right away. I tried the Mid first, not very forgiving, great feel tho. The Mid Plus has control and little bit pop to it, of course its much forgiving than the Mid. Ground stroke is solid with plenty spin, slice is just amazing, doesn't pop up stays nice and low. Not the best for serve (not enough power, but lots spin) since I am a flat power server. Over all I think is a solid stick. So far, the racquets fits my style of playing are Babolat Pure Drive Roddick +, Head Microgel Extreme Pro, Head Youtek Speed MP,Wilson k-Blade 98, and of course the Prince Tour Diablo MP.
From: Matt, San Diego, CA 07/09
String type and tension: Signum Pro, Poly Plasma 17 at 58lbs
Headsize: 100sq in

Comments: Amazing amazing control racquet. I've had this racquet for a year now. During my year of playing with this racquet and only this racquet, my shots go where I want them to with plenty of spin and naturally deep. The power level of this racquet is low but that depends on you. If you have a fast racquet speed then your spin doubles and the power is about normal to maybe a Babolat Pure Drive (in my opinion). Prince Diablo is recommended for any player on the varsity high school level.
From: Jason, Toms River, NJ, USA. 7/09
String type and tension: Head Synth Gut @ 58

Comments: Spin is just amazing with this racquet when I first got it, it was very whippy but it was still great, I wanted to make it heavier so I added lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock (6 grams each) and under the grip (6grams) and wow!! the serve is so much more powerful, it's not as whippy but still enough to produce lots of spin.
From: James, Fort Worth 07/09
String type and tension: MSV hex at 55 or Cyber flash at 55

Comments: I'm loving this racquet right now. I'm almost certain this is my new racquet. Hitting groundstrokes is a dream with this, I feel like its got so much more control compared with my previous frame. I enjoy taking huge cuts at the ball on the forehand without worries of the ball going long. It's taking some getting used to on volleys and touch shots, which may be the weakness of this racquet. Also getting used to serves but believe I eventually will improve here as well with the extra length. This is basically a forgiving player's racquet that is amazing for forehand and backhand strokes and returns.
From: TL, MN. 6/09
String type and tension: Kevlar at 60#
NTRP Rating: 5.5-6.0

Comments: Absolutely a great racket. It's got great feel, like an extension of your hand. Good power and spin on all shots with great control. It was a little light so I added lead tape while keeping the same balance. Tried Head Radical Pro, Prestige Pro, Wilson K 6.0, and I liked it the best.
From: Vitus, Orange County, CA. 3/09
String type and tension: Soft multifilament nylon, 55lbs.

Comments: I love this racquet. I'm a baseline clay court player, and this stick fit my game very well. It's a little unstable in my backhand (one hand) but offers a lot of spin. I string it with Luxilon Big Banger Original at 63 lb. Better than the Prince O3 Tour midplus by far.
From: Fernando, Buenos Aires, Argentina. 8/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Original 63 Lb

Comments: Demo! One racket can be so different from others, like Gold and sand. That's what I had to go through when I demo'd one of my friend's and buy a new one. I have to spend 6 months to a yr to make it right, just to be as stable as a pre-strung. Yes, the good side is it is one of the very very few Prince produced these days that is not ultra-stiff and uncomfortable to hit with. It's (my stock form stick) downside is LOW power, weak volley and unstable. Good thing is it serves great. After 10g at the upper loop and cut it back to 27", it's easier to swing with and a lot more stable, but far from a real player's racket.
From: PS60@tt.tenniswarehouse, HK, 04/08
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Duraflex 16g @ 57#

Comments: I used to play with Prince Graphite II midplus for 10 years and now switching to this racquet. It has better control than the Prince Graphite and all around, it feels much better.
From: Duke, Blaine, MN, USA. 4/08
String type and tension: Prince Nylon 60
Headsize: Tour MP

Comments: I love the racquet! I used to have the Prince Rebel Midplus, so I gave this a try and it's been great. Great feel at the net. You can rip first serves, and get a good kicker out of it as well. I'm actually going to buy another one of these!
From: Elliott, North Carolina. 2/08
String tension: 58 lbs
Headsize: Midplus

Comments: I've only had one outing with the Prince Tour Diablo, but I am certain I'll be playing with it for a long, long time. I absolutely love it. Despite the fact that I don't get to play more than 2-3 times per month, I felt like I could do what I want with the ball with this racquet. It has amazing feel and control. I swing aggressively, so the racquet's power potential isn't much of a concern. Serving was a pure joy; the racquet felt like an extension of my arm while serving. I highly recommend this racquet to anyone who prefers playing with a classic-feeling frame. It reminds me of years past when I used to play with the original Prince Graphite, original Wilson ProStaff and the Dunlop Max 200G (McEnroe/Graf version).
From: Adam, NY, NY. 1/08
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 Gauge @ 58
NTRP Rating: 4.0 - 4.5

Comments: I have been playing with this racquet for about six months now, and I just love it. The sweetspot is quite big for a small-sized head, and feedback is phenomenal. It allows you to impart quite a lot of topspin, and although it is not too powerful, the pace on properly hit groundstrokes is surprisingly heavy. Serving is an absolute pleasure with this racquet as is volleying, and the control is outstanding. I am 43, and it is a bit on the heavier side, but very head light, so even at this old age I am able to have fun with it and not worry too much about getting tired too soon. Definitely worth a demo if you are looking for this type of racquet.
From: Nijaz, The Hague, Netherlands. 12/07
String type and tension: Mains: Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17 58 lbs, Crosses: KLIP Legend Nat. gut 18 60 lbs

Comments: This racquet is perfect for amazing groundstrokes and volleys. I'm still working on serves but getting used to it. This is the midsize.
From: Joseph, Hayward, CA, USA. 12/07
String type and tension: Forten nylon but going to Babolat Pro Hurricanes or ALU Power Rough
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments: Love this frame (midplus version). It has tons of control, yet I can still rip shots when I need to (if you manage to hit the sweetspot, you get a lot of power, otherwise you don't really get much.) Great at net and from the baseline.
From: Jon. 12/07

Comments: A friend on the school team bought himself a Prince stick with those holes on it and immediately dumped his Tour Diablo. Seeing this, I offered him 20 bucks for it and started trying it out. With the open mains, I was able to rip forehands with more spin than usual (semi-western). My one-handed backhand was decent, but I did not get as much feel on it compared to my Head LM prestige and Wilson PS ROK. The serve was awesome, especially for the second serve kicker. I was not able, however to volley very well with it. It could have been the balance, but I'm not quite sure. To sum it up, this is a very decent control racquet with high spin potential. I would have liked the Diablo to have a less wide body and a bit more feel, but you should demo it to find out yourself.
From: Rui, Bay Area, California. 10/07
String type and tension: cheap reels @ 58lb
NTRP Rating: 4.5 (usta jr. 18s)

Comments: Great control racquet. I went from a baseliner without much touch, to more of a control hitter. Great spin generation. If you can generate your own power, then this racquet is for you. Body positioning is key, racquet not very forgiving if you're not set up for a shot. Two handed back hand hitter will need to adjust.
From: Vince, NJ, USA, 10/07