Wilson Pro Staff 95 Racquet Customer feedback

Comments: This is adding on to my previous review below. So after about 1 1/2 months trying and experimenting with lead placement, I found my perfect setup. Strip the base grip, add 18 grams of weight on the handle, replace base grip with Wilson leather grip. Then add about 2 grams at each of 1-1:30, 10-10:30, 9 and 3 o'clock (I use Tourna 1/4). As for string, still deciding between Luxilon 4G or a hybrid of Luxilon Timo (mains) Wilson NXT (crosses). I was so happy with this set up as it makes the balance so headlight, but there is torsional stability and enough plough through. I can now effortlessly power drive my shots with insane top spin as the racquet is now heavier but also headlight enough that whipping it feels so natural. Defensive wise, it's still lightning quick that I can return serves or hard shots simply by putting some racquet mass and being in position.
From: Indra, 9/14

Comments: With a bit of lead modification, this racquet plays extremely similar to the Tour 90 with a lot more foregiveness on mishits. After adding 16 grams under the grommet to 10-11-12-1-2 o'clock region, and a Head leather grip, the whole racquet feels absolutely so solid on groundies. The spin potential is as good as ever on Wilson Pro Staff racquets, and directional control is amazing too. Strung with Yonex Poly Tour Pro at 56 lbs, also Luxilon Alu Power at 57 lbs.
From: Anakin, 9/14

Comments: I play with long groundstrokes and a single-handed backhand. I wanted to move from Pro Staff 90 since my eyes begin to waver and need a bigger sweet spot to play with. I tried the PS 95S but the torsional stability was so poor I opted for the PS 95. In stock form it is fast, whippy and manoeuvrable. I am very happy with this racquet except for two facts -- one, it is too light it feels like a fan against heavy balls, especially when on full stretch or when I'm out of position. Two, the balance is not headlight enough, It's kind of difficult to maneuver my racquet into place so I could go with my strokes "buttcap first." So I have tried placing weight in different places of the racquet to emulate that PS90 feel, balance and above all stability. I felt like I bring out the best out of this racquet with this setup: 1) replace the stock base grip with a wilson leather grip and 2) on the handle under the base grip, place around 18 +/- 2 grams of lead 5 inches from the buttcap. I am still considering whether to add more lead at 3/9 o'clock and/or 12 o'clock for stability and power, knowing that lead placement there comes at the expense of maneuverability have a pair of these, and I string one with Luxilon 4G at 53 lbs mains 51 lbs crosses and string the second with a hybrid of Lux Timo mains at 53 lbs and Wilson NXT at 58 lbs.
From: Indra, 8/14

Comments: I'm a 4.0 player with full groundstrokes and a one-handed backhand. I was a Six.One 95 user looking for a lighter option. Tried the Babolat APD but it hurt my arm. Demoed many racquets in the 11 to 11.5 ounce range (strung) but felt pushed around. Against light hitters the PS95 is excellent: whippy, accurate, great feel and extremely fun to play with. However, against heavy hitters the PS95 is just too light can feel like a flap of cardboard when impacting a heavy ball on the stretch. The sweet spot is small and serve power is low. I should confess that some of these "drawbacks" actually improved my technique by forcing me to hit more precisely. Unlike stiff, thick-beamed racquets that allow people to crush winners with strokes only an ax murderer could love, the PS95 keeps me honest. The challenge for me was how to modify this racquet to make it work against harder hitters and on serve. I added a Head leather grip and 2.5 grams of lead tape centered at 12 o'clock, spanning from about 10 to 2. I also added 1/2 gram each at 3 and 9 o'clock, just enough to stabilize it. The racquet now weighs 12 onces with an over grip and dampener and it's perfect. Strung with Luxilon ALU Power at 51 lbs.

Comments: I played with old-school, control-orientated racquets for most of my teenage and college years (Prestiges, T-fights, Tours), when I was still fighting fit and fast on the uptake. Ten years later, coming back into the game and revisiting these tried and true sticks, I noticed that I was arriving late on too many occasions, and I kept erring on the side of depth and pace. So, following the lead of my old tennis buddies (we're all still 5.0 and above), I started playtesting racquets that are being advertised as the implements of the "modern game" (bigger head size, thicker beam, open string pattern, more pop, you know the deal). I'm a heck of a lot slower than I used to be, but my swing is still pretty fast, and I want to give every ball my best and all. Result: the Prince Warrior and Head Speed Pro launched 50% of my balls into orbit. Sure, my service game traveled back into time it was going so fast, but my slices and volleys consistently floated away from me, and spin -- well, there was plenty of it, but excessive topspin, I noticed, still rubs my moral fibre the wrong way, going against everything I love about the game. And my arm hurt, even if I had to hold back on my swings to keep the ball in, something I had never experienced before on a tennis court. So, picked up the Wilson Pro Staff 95. Oboy, a whole new ballpark. Solid. Crisp. Incredibly comfortable. But most importantly (for me personally that is, having sacrificed speed and agility over the years) - it's swing weight and head-light balance make this Pro Staff a much, much more forgiving frame. It whips and cracks and every time the opposition launches an attack, it makes you want to shout "Whoopie, git along little dogies". It's exceedingly maneuverable, yet rigid and authoritarian enough from the baseline and around the net, inviting you to take big swings at the ball - and let's face it, 95 sqi is plenty enough real estate to find the sweet-spot if you are a 4.0 and above player. You can put serves on a dime (even a nickel) without sacrificing a lot of pace. The overall response from the frame (I don't believe in marketing speak like amplifeel, or inverted drill holes, and whatnot) is excellent, very buttery, as they say. Moral of the story: I lost 6-4/6-4 to a guy wielding the unwieldy Head Speed Pro. Week later, packing the WPs 95, I beat him 6- 1/6-2. Victory was sweet because the Wilson (unlike the Speed, whose blind power just takes over your entire game) made me feel as if I myself had contributed to the win - it makes you work for it, but it has your back when you miss that all-important deadline with the apex of the ball. It's lightning fast through the air, so it buys you the time you need to rally around the cause and settle into your next shot. Case in point: even at the peak of my humble tennis career (5.5, 2 tournaments per week, per season), I had always struggled with the one-handed BH return on flat first serves, opting for a deep and consolidating chip most of the time. Ten years on, ten pound later, and with no ranking to speak of anymore, playing with the Wilson Pro Staff 95, so help me god, I found myself returning powerful serves with a graceful and infinitely more effective full-swing one-handed backhand. Magic!
From: Jay, 7/14

Comments: I also tried the 95S and 99S, both of them play so well when the string is new, but after 4 hours of play it will lose the snap back action because the string are too loose. It still has the good spin but it totally lost the control. The Pro Staff 95 doesn't have as much spin as the S version, but it plays a lot more consistent. It's a good racquet, with good spin, and supreme feel! I swear I was smiling when I first hit with this racquet, the feel was too sweet!
From: Jack, 5/14

Comments: Great racquet! It hits well, has good control and feel. There is more power than the 90s and 85. Strung with Luxilon 4g, which I recommend.
From: Lawrence, 5/14

Comments: Our local pro shop got this one in yesterday and they allowed me to take it out for a spin. I was one of the first to review the BLX Pro Staff 95 a few years ago so I thought I should do this one as well. I'm not sure there is much to distinguish this one (the new Wilson Pro Staff 95) from the somewhat older BLX Pro Staff 95. There is by specification a little different swing weight (new is 308 and the old is 306). The new one is made from Graphite, Kevlar and Basalt and the older one is just the BLX. I was really hoping that this newer version would be an upgrade from the original 6.0 95 -- perhaps 11.9 oz rather than 12.2, 18 or 17.5mm in a straight beam pattern rather than the 19mm in the 6.0 along with the same string pattern. But there just isn't that much difference from the BLX Pro Staff 95 of a few years ago other than the aesthetics of paint. On the court, I couldn't tell any real difference. The weight felt the same, the stroke preparation and ball hitting capability didn't really feel different at all. The set up for both was 4 3/8 grip, string was Babolat RPM 17g with a Babolat dampener and 3 grams of lead tape at the 3 and 9pm locations (PWS bumps). It's a nice stick. It feels good in my hand. But, so does the BLX Pro Staff 95. Why pay $209 when you can still buy the older one for $129 (as of today anyway). If you've got unlimited funds and tennis is your only vice (which describes all of us on this site, right?) then you can certainly spend your money any way you see fit. For the rest of us that have the tennis addiction but need our money to go slightly further -- then just buy the older stick while it lasts. You might look slightly outdated but the stick will play the same. I'm still holding out hope that they bring out an updated version of the Pro Staff 6.0 95 racquet someday. Skill level: 4.5 Style of play: eastern forehand and one handed backhand.

Wilson Pro Staff 95 Racquet - Where to go from here