Wilson Pro Staff 90 Racquet Customer feedback

Comments: Truly an excellent frame -- great control, precision and feel for advanced players (4.5+ in my opinion). One downside of this stick is the amount of energy it takes to play long rallies with it, but again this is a tool of precision and control for those who have enough game to handle it. A benefit of this racquet is that it keeps you on your toes as far as technique is concerned; it has little forgiveness, no free shots, no free power either; you get exactly what you can generate on your own, no more no less. The so called "modern game" is all about "spin control" but I personally like to have variety in my game and I need directional control, too. The only frame I ever liked as much as this one is the Wilson Blade 93 2013.
From: JZ, 9/15

Comments: I have the K Factor and 2nd generation BLX AF versions. Both outstanding in terms of feel, touch and control. I'm 64 and played with a Kramer Pro Staff until 1984 (10 years). Subsequent frames -- Wilson Graphite Sting, Yamaha Secret, et al had more power but never outstanding feel, not even the K and AF 6.1 95s. Tour 90s play like a "high tech" wood racquet, I know what the ball will do as soon as contact is made. Not as much power as 95-100 square inch frames but far more than any woodie! Looking forward to audition the RF97 PS. If it has the same feel/control/touch with more oomph then I'll be open to change.
From: Melvin, 8/15

Comments: I love this racquet. This is my first 90 square inch racquet. Before, I had used the PS Rok93 for years and RF97 since it released. Comparing it with the RF97 and Rok93, this one have more feels and much maneuverability. It does require more effort to generate power, but still much more powerful than my Rok93.

Comments: This is a difficult frame to provide an accurate review of, so please consider the pros and cons listed below. First off, the pros: this is a significant improvement over the previous BLX 90, as it has a much firmer feel. The sweet spot seems abit more centered, and the frame offers abit more 'pop' from the baseline than the BLX model. Despite the static weight, the mid 320 swingweight and head light balance mean the frame is actually fairly manageable for any NTRP 4.0+ player (at least on mid-pace clay courts) and the stability and plow through are amazing at the net and on serve. The 16x19 string pattern with a western grip generates more than adequate topspin when paired with a textured poly. The frame is simply a pure joy to hit with, and as some other commenters have noted, it really is a game improvement tool since the frame isn't going to give you cheap power or mask one's erratic contact points on the string bed. The amazing feel engineered into the frame, when strung with a nice control based hybrid, allows for one of the best feeling hitting sessions you will ever go through on a tennis court. Pure bliss. Now the cons: as even the great Federer found out, you can only do so much with a 90 square inch head size, and this fine gem of a frame is not going to hit any opponent off the court. Yes, 4.0+ players, you can win matches with this thing but you are going to have to work for it, and expend more energy than a similar style opponent using a stiff, light, 98"-105" frame, meaning you better be in top physical condition to grind it out over 3 sets. I have two of these, one strung with an Ashaway hybrid and the other with a full bed of Black Widow in the upper 40 lbs. The latter set up amps up the available power, but takes away some of the feel. The control oriented hybrid set-up allows you to paint lines with precision, but you'll often have to follow those shots up with a one more shot to actually end the point (hence the work harder note above). The serve is about your best bet to win cheap points as the mass of the frame will generate some heavy pace for good servers. if you can't win free points off the serve, you better be prepared for a long match especially if you against a fast player that can run everything down. While I can't endorse the Pro Staff 90 as a match play frame for most 3.5+ folks, I would encourage all serious players who have wondered about the Pro Staff 'feel' or used earlier (pre-BLX) versions, to enjoy these last 90" frames while they are still around, at the very least as practice or training session frames. they really are a pleasure to spend an evening hitting with and to me are very close to the definition of what a tennis racquet was always meant to be.
From: Geoff, 7/15

Comments: Love this racquet; I have the BLX 90 version. I tried some lighter, larger, thicker frames over the past few years but I missed the touch and accuracy on volleys as well as the ability to handle hard shots. This is simply the best racquet I have ever volleyed with. Slice backhands and slice/kick serves are also great due to thin beam and balance, the only difficulty for me sometimes is the two-handed backhand on serve returns but that's me, not the racquet. I'm a 45 year old, 4.5/5.0 old school serve and volley doubles player. I'm considering arming this beast with some natural gut strings. TW, recommended NG type and tension for a serve an volleyer playing at high altitude?
Response from TW: Try Wilson Natural Gut at 58 lbs and see what you think!

Comments: I just love this racquet. I use to play with the Pro Staff 85 but due to my age I decided to move to a larger head. I demoed the 95, 95s, and the 90 at the same time. This racquet felt almost as good as the 85 but with a larger sweet spot. I added lead under the grip and at 3 and 9 o'clock and now I hit such a heavy ball with medium topspin. My serves are powerful and volleys are crisp. Now I'm experimenting with string; with my PS85 I only used synthetic gut but now I'm trying hybrids. My favorite setup so far is X-One Biphase in the mains and Revolve in the crosses. I am a 5.0 player that has been playing tennis for almost 30 years.
From: William, 5/15

Comments: I'm not super great at tennis but I can play a fair game. I wouldn't know how to rate my level of play but I'm going to review this racquet anway. I own the Pro Staff 95 (the 2012 version) and to compare the two I must say that there is a big difference between the feel and groundstrokes. With the 90 (updated version) the feel is incredible, I haven't played with a lot of racquets but out of all the ones I have played with, this racquet has the best feel, without a doubt. People say that reach shots are unforgiving with this racquet but I find that instead of doing a simple block or a slice do half swing or full swing if you can, I usually miss or just suck at reach shots but with this racquet I get many winners from them since the opponent isn't expecting a power shot. For some reason this racquet seems ot be made to do great at two things (for me anyway). It's my one-handed backhand, and volleys -- when I slap that backhand onto the ball with this racquet with the right technique nothing can go wrong. But what I'm very impressed about is volleying. With the Pro Staff 95 (2012 version) I used to miss many easy volleys, I couldn't hit a lot of drop shots at net either. But with the weight and stability of the Pro Staff 90 this racquet is a must for net players. Easy plow through from hard shots. I felt I controlled everything at net with this racquet. I usually don't play with heavy racquets but now I think I will after playing with this grand racquet. And at only $100, it is a steal -- I feel like a theif.
From: Justin, 4/15

Comments: As a 4.5 player, I used to play with the BLX 90, sold my two frames for the new Babolat Pure Drive Tour. Forgot how stable and super feeling hitting with the ProStaff 90 was: simply amazing! I actually find it less demanding than the Pure Drive Tour as I focus more on the mechanics, and enjoying the feel of striking the ball, knowing that it will flow into the court. With my Pure Drive Tour, the large string bed, the hollow feeling, and the thickness of the frame result in a lot of erratic play. Basically, the 90 square inch head size is the whole sweet spot (kind of), and every hit, once proper footing is set, is crisp and clean. Now, my serve is definitely not as powerful or smooth as tit is with he Pure Drive Tour, but still working on it. I like both frames, but there is just something truly magical and enjoyable about that Pro Staff 90. Strung at 52 lbs with Pro Red Code 17g
From: Stephan, 4/15

Comments: For the way I hit, this racquet works very well for me. The 12.4 ounce strung weight swings quickly on slappy, flat forehands with good accuracy from a muted, small stringbed. I pretty much only slice my on my one handed backhand and that is where I feel this racquet excels. It just slices better than most other racquets. I only hit a flattish slice serve and find this racquet does as well as the PS 85, just with more crispness. I use an 18g syn gut at 55 lbs and while they don't last as long. I love the extra zing I get from them in this racquet. It's a different experience from widebody, large head racquets...better suited for shot crafters than baseline rippers.
From: Scott, 2/15

Comments: I have been hitting with this racquet, first in the stock setup and then I added weight of 4 grams total at 1 and 11 o'clock (4 lead strips of 1 gram). It has a K-Factor 90 feel with the graphite kevlar layers, which I really appreciate as it makes the racquet "honest." I can tell from the feel of the pop if I've hit a good shot and attack or a poor one and defend. I love the 12 HL unstrung balance and the 340 grams weight. This combination makes it maneuverable, somewhat whippy, but stable at the same time. I can go toe-to-toe against the big hitters at my club with confidence as I can rely on the weight to counterpunch. Some people say you need to make an extra effort to get the most out of this racquet. In my opinion, you just have to be disciplined in all areas of your game, starting from footwork, timing, swing pattern, positioning, etc. You also really need to extend your swing. On my forehands, I often find that to produce penetrating shots, I will have to really extend so that the racquet and my hitting arm wraps around my body and my hitting shoulder points to the opponent. Best shots come when contact is well away from the body (think Fed). The small headsize and the centralized sweetspot, means you really need to watch the ball and time your contact. It also isn't a good defensive racquet as you need to reach out just a tad more to aim to hit off the sweetspot.
From: Indra, 2/15

Comments: This is the best racquet I have ever used. The mains get natural gut at 55 lbs and at the crosses get Luxilon ALU Power Rough at 53 lbs. It is the best ever!
From: Sahil, 1/15

Comments: Been hitting with this for about 2 months and it's been awesome. It feels less stiff than the 68 rating it received. The plow through and stability make many shots seem effortless. Its feel and performance reminds me of the Wilson [K]Pro Staff 88 (Sampras) from a few years back, but not as taxing on the body. I currently use Kirschbaum Pro Line II (17L) at 50 lbs/48 lbs, which I think helps create a softer feel. Also, I like the handle which is relatively shorter than other mid-plus racquets and perfect for the one-handed backhand. In recent years, I've mostly used rackets with a 18x20 or 16x20 string pattern for extra control and feel. This larger head size and 16x19 string pattern still deliver in these areas. A definite new classic in Pro Staff racquets.

Comments: Control, spin, power -- you can find those in most good racquets. But serves, man, that's money. I can serve flat and spin so so much easier. This is the bomb. Thanks Fed!
From: Don, 12/14

Comments: In what is likely to be the last 90 square inch frame in the Pro staff series, Wilson thankfully re- introduced kevlar back into the composition. The previous two models of 90/Tour frames did away with kevlar and it was noticed by those who cherished the feel the Pro Staff range has always been synonymous with. By bringing kevlar back, Wilson has produced probably their finest player's frame since the K6.1 Tour which was the last "Tour" frame to contain kevlar in its composition. Bravo to Wilson for making another truly great 90 square inch frame for lovers of them.
From: Brendon, 11/14

Comments: Have been trying to find a "better" racquet for quite some time. Have two K-Six One Tour 90s that I have never given up, but tend to play now more with the Pro Staff Tour 90. It feels a bit "lighter" and easier to maneuver than the SixOnes, and overall just a slightly nicer feel in the hand. Have also the old ProStaff 85, which I love for it's stability. My dream racquet would be the new ProStaff 90 design in an 85 sq. in. head...Wilson, are you listening? I've demo'ed some of the others (Head, Yonex), but still can't find anything I like better than the Pro Staff Tour 90.

Comments: Following up my post from 8/14. I got the replacement from TW with the right grip size. I am happy with it. It actually feels in between the last version (the BLX ProStaff 90) and the K90, but much closer to last version and slightly better in terms of plow through and balance.

Comments: I just got the racquet yesterday that comes with expensive string on it, but I have to return it today for an exchange because the grip size is not true to the spec. I ordered size 3, and the spec says 3 too, but it actually feels like 4. Then I measured it last night along with all my previous versions, it indeed measures to 4! Yes, I have all recent iterations of the 90 racquet except the N Code, plus the reproduced Pro Staff 85, all from Tennis Warehouse. Given that there seems to be a pattern to this new version that the actual grip size tends to be one size larger than the spec size, I am actually thinking to request a replacement with size of 2 (2/8) in a hope that I will get something actually measures somewhere between 2 and 3, so I don't have to retrun it again. In fact the ideal size for me is something slightly smaller than 3. Without actually hitting, I can only say that this new Pro Staff 90 is closer to K90 in term of swing feeling. In this regard, the red and black 90 BLX is closest to the Pro Staff 85 which I like the most.

Comments: I cannot understand why people would call this racquet heavy. It's probably as light as many junior wooden racquets from days gone by and it's certainly lighter than my trusty Dunlop Max 200g. This is a lovely stick with very centralized sweet spot which rewards a quality swing. Would I recommend it to a beginner ? Probably not. However, anyone that has a full swing or serve and volley types would enjoy this racquet provided they can get past the idea of having a smaller than average 90 square inch head size. In comparison, I would say it has less pop than my Head Graphene Prestige Pro although the Pro Staff has superior stability. The only downside I can think of is that you don't get anything for free using the Pro Staff 90. It translates whatever you do perfectly -- for better or for worse. Not a classic by any means but a very nice racquet which demands respect.
From: Alan, 7/14

Comments: I'm 38 years old, 6'0", 155 lbs and I started seriously playing tennis about 3 months ago after having messed around a bit in high school trying to learn. I have not played in a league yet but my practice group consists of 3.0 to 4.0 players and I would say there is only one 4.0 player that is better than me so I'm somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5. I started out playing with a HEAD Ti S.1 racquet which is a low power, control racquet. I really favor control over power as short, choppy swings feel unnatural to me and I often send the ball way out with high power racquets. As a beginner and mostly chatting with other beginners the perception was that the lower the weight and the bigger the head size the better the racquet. I toyed with getting a Wilson K-zero 118 sq. in. racquet but then asked my 4.0 practice partner if I could play with one of his two Prostaff 6.1 90s (BLX 2012 version). I held the racquet and kind of laughed at its old school looks, heavy weight and small head size. I didn't expect much from it and thought I would hate it. Boy was I wrong! As I hit the first ball, I was completely addicted at the feel and control of this racquet. It was so different from any other racquet I had ever swung. As long as you keep your eye on the ball, as you should with any racquet, the head size does not feel like an issue, especially since across the middle it is close to the width of more typical racquets. I shanked a couple of balls but I do that with my HEAD 107 racquet as well. After demoing the racquet for a 4 or 5 games, I went back home did some research and overall liked what I read about the Pro Staff 90. I offered to buy one of my friend's Pro Staff 90 and he agreed. Today I played doubles for 2 hours with my "new" racquet and had a great time placing the ball into corners and on the line. On my serve I was getting nearly 100% of my first serves in so for one of the final games, I was serving and decided to turn up the heat I have never served so strongly! I served a nearly perfect game and even my 4.0 friend had trouble getting solid returns. Serves and slice backhands are my favorite shots with this stick. I'm in love with this racquet!
From: Tony, 7/14

Comments: This racquet will serve as a good coach. You will lose matches with your friends, but the beauty of this racquet is that it improves your game. The small sweet spot forces you to use perfect technique. Plenty of shanks, and frustrating miss hits will ensue. However, when I played with a more normal headsize racquet (98 inches to be exact) after having played with the 90 for a few months, I was unbeatable. Definitely try this racquet if you are interested in improving your game.
From: Sridhar, 6/14

Comments: Used to play with the N Six.One Tour 90. Since then I've tried lighter racquets with larger head sizes and more pop. I picked up the new Pro Staff 90 and fell in love all over again. This stick is like a scalpel. Yeah, I lost some pop and some pace on groundstrokes, but I can put the ball anywhere and that's priceless! In retrospect, my point construction was sloppy and clumsy with my Pure Drives, whereas everything just flows so much better with the 90. The more head light balance makes it easy to get it around and attack. It is so stable that returning big serves is another opportunity to attack! Makes me wish I'd never strayed from the pro staff line in the first place. A must have for anyone who can handle it!
From: Danny, 5/14

Comments: Just tested it with TWE (great program) with some poly (@38DT/I would prefer a hybrid). Specs are on paper the same as the BLX PS, but the leather is thinner, and the frame is 3g heavier which feels when you hold it. Also, the grip 4 seemed a bit larger than the BLX. If I buy one I would go for a 3. Among the initial review, I would be close to what K wrote expect on serve which I felt was very solid (poly impact?). Compared to previous version: The racquet is stiffer buy still buttery, more powerful for drilling, better to stab slices, less spinny and less lenght, less manouvrable, so you will net more often while on the move. To some extent it is a bit in the direction back of the K series, which I did not like so much in tube (pipetube feel). But with some great modern feel. My ample opinion more for a powerful baseliner than someone who goes to the net quite often like me. May be with some moding we can make it closer to the BLXPS and even better, with some time. Still compared to the 10s of racquet I have tested (Head, Pacific, Donnay, Dunlop etc.), it is among the best (very difficult to beat the Pro Staff lineage).
From: Denis, 4/14

Comments: This is a racquet is for a player 4.5 and up -- you need technique and strength. If you have it you will love it! Slices are very powerful and deep. This raquet is for the strong players who like to hit powerfully. The way I feel with this racquet is out of this world -- it can manage flat hit, slice, lots of spin. At the net you have the mass to stop a cannonball and get good depth. The serve feels very powerful and you can hit whatever shot you want. This is my raquet of choice -- I have 5 and play very well with them. I am 42 and play 5.0 to 5.5.

Comments: Was very curious to try this frame. Power was low, but had nice precision. Control was also very good. The sweet spot is small, so one have to be very precise. Overall this is my deal: I don't see any reason at all why anybody would want to use this racquet. The great Roger Federer no longer is using this spoon of a racquet with it's 90 square inch frame. He has gone up to a prototype that is 98 square inches, if I'm correct. Not a single pro is using a 90 square inches anymore. If 90 sq.in. racquets have become a liability to the pros and no longer are useful to them, what makes you think that this frame will improve your game? Even Pete Sampras who used the Wilson Pro Staff 85 said that he wished he had gone to a bigger head sized racquet later in his career. A tennis buddy of mine who used this frame switched to the Six.One 95 and loves it!
From: Van, 3/14

Comments: I hit with a demo of this racquet today from my local shop. It was strung with multi-filament and had no lead at the tip as I typically customize to. My impression was that the racquet is a bit crisper than the prior version. The ball seems to jump off the racquet a bit more. By comparison, my prior racquet felt a bit plusher, although in the long line of Pro Staffs, I wouldn't consider the prior version the plushiest (I'd say the one before that was). I believe that with customization and my standard poly for additional spin/control, this racquet would be good to have in my bag for a slightly different feel than the prior version I own. In general, the play is pretty similar but it comes down to preference. If you liked the K90 and the old black Pro Staff 90 Tour, you might like this one. I'm a 4.5 advanced player.
From: Frank, 2/14

Comments: Without lead tape: It has low power (compared to other tour 90's), nice sound off the racquet but no response felt (had a mushy feeling), less maneuverable than the BLX 90, super easy to chip the paint and expose graphite, good slice but not enough topspin, ball kept on slipping on strings, no depth on forehand or backhand compared to the BLX 90, more precision (on hitting in the sweet spot), accuracy and stability on backhand and forehand shots compare to the BLX 90 on volleys, but on groundstrokes the sweet spot felt underpowered. Terrible serves, with the BLX 90 I hit my serves around 100-110 mph, but I couldn't even reach 70 mph, hard to hit flat shots on serve, give a nice slow kicker on serves. With lead tape: 2g at the head, 4g at 9 and 3, with power pads at the throat (which adds weight without changing balance). Good depth on groundstrokes, volleys felt a lot more accurate, backhands had good power with extreme accuracy, serves got a little better (still spiny), sweet spot had more power, good touch, but I couldn't get rid of the terrible dead feel from the racquet. I hate amplifeel tech, if I wasn't looking I wouldn't be able to tell if I hit the ball or not, amplifeel blocks all type of vibration and feel. I might trade this in for a Pro Staff 85, noting beats the Pro Staff 85, it gives me more spin than the AeroPro Drive.
From: K, 2/14

Comments: I play with the Pro Staff 90 BLX. This newer version is a tad stiffer and a tad more power. I had a little more difficulty controlling shots and it didn't seem as forgiving as the BLX..
From: Ron, 1/14

Comments: Excellent racquet, with really solid feel and maneuverability. I've tried the previous version and just didn't like it, it felt too headlight and flimsy. This racquet, on the other hand, was a major improvement and had better stability on off center shots, the overall feel has also improved and felt much cleaner with less vibration but not dampened. It also felt slightly more maneuverable compared to the K90, as my one backhand didn't struggle as much with timing, yet still remained very stable. This racquet also felt very crisp and gave excellent pop even with softer strings. The quality has also improved as I weighed a couple in the shop and they only varied by +/- 2 to 3 grams. I highly recommend trying it out if you can handle the specs, especially if your a Tour 90 fan.

Comments: So I've been waiting for this stick for a while and I finally got to try it out. First off, this does not feel like the last iteration. The plow through that we know and love is back, but with the same level of spin as the BLX Pro Staff. Feel was not bad, yet not great, but the plow through power more than made up for it. I'd have to say it's one of my favorite tour 90s. You could almost say it's a mix the NCode Tour 90 and the KFactor Tour 90.
From: Brent, 1/14