Prince Response 97 Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: Feels like a hybrid between a player's and tweener stick. Swings like a sub 12 ounce tweener but the control of a player's frame. Very easy to generate head speed and hit through the contact zone so mobility was right up there. Was able to get back a few shots that were almost behind me when retrieving because it was lightning quick. Had to shorten my take back as it comes through really quick compared to my other sticks to avoid hitting long from overswinging -- kind of gives you a split second longer to decide before striking. Fantastic on 'reflex' shots that come hard, deep at you when you're a bit off guard (thanks to low swingweight). Fantastic directional control. Mine came in a bit under 12 ounces weighing at 337 grams with a dampener but still stable on contact but I wouldn't say 'rock solid stable.' Volleys like a charm -- solid and stable response at net. Quite comfortable for a stiff frame but played with string dampener to be safe as I felt a hint of jarring on my fingers with out one while hitting rallies -- serves were fine. Biggest complaint is the quality of the finish. In my session with it, I had a few bad shanks on the frame and the paint of the red/white lining actually got chipped off from the ball. Only millimeters but you'd expect more from Prince. More shanks to come in the future so expecting more paint to chip off. The matte finish looks classic but perhaps a gloss coat wouldn't hurt to protect the paint job.

Comments: Disappointed! Pros: Fairly comfortable for being so stiff, very easy to swing despite 12 oz weight, good directional control. Cons: Stability is nowhere near as good as advertised by the TW review (sorry guys, you got this one wrong), the sweetspot much smaller than anticipated, and the dealbreaker for me: Spin was much worse than I expected. Sean mentioned in the video review he thought it was due to the heavier racquet not swinging as fast, therefore not creating the spin he liked. I think it's because the frame is so stiff the ball shoots off the fairly dense stringbed before it has a chance to really grab the ball. I'm confident with customization (lead tape and thin gauge textured string) I'd like it more. But I'm too busy to spend the time figuring out how to make a racquet work. Going to go for a stick with same beam thickness, roughly the same headsize and flex, with better spin potential: The Head Graphene Speed MP.
From: MJ, 7/14

Comments: Little bit of an arm killer, but the shots produced are quite nice. Ample spin. No hotspots on the string bed, so play is consistent. Not completely stable on off-centered shots. My arm just can't take it when paired with poly/lead tape.

Comments: I have been playing with the old Response for 20 years. I was very curious to see what the reissue would play like. For those hoping to pick up a fresh new Response that they were used to, this will be a disappointment. This is basically another racquet that has the same head shape and the plastic insert at the bridge. This frame feels nothing like the old Response. I think the biggest problem with the racquet is that, though weighing 12 ounces according to specs, this frame lacks the punch of the old Response because this is very much a head light racquet. The old Response had a balance point closer to the head and thus packed more wallop. Perhaps the frame can be adjusted with more lead tape in the head, but I am not sure how many people will want to undertake this journey. The only favorable thing I can say about this frame is that Prince corrected the problem with the old Response's grip -- the old grip was made of a soft honeycomb mesh and would greatly deform over time. The new frame has a solid polyurethane handle. While the old Responses still continue to sell well on eBay, it will be interesting to see if this frame is as successful.

Comments: Really nice, classic racquet. I moved from a Wilson Six.One 90 because this is much more forgiving, but still is very stable and has a lot of plow through. If your looking for a classic players racquet around the stats of the Prince Response 97, definitely try it out.
From: Kevin, 3/14

Comments: This racquet is easy to swing and has a solid response. It works well with all shots -- groundstrokes, volleys, and serves. I noticed a little more spin than with my previous racquet, which was a Wilson PS 90. Although the PS is a great racquet, I wanted a larger head and a slightly lighter racquet. I strung it with synthetic gut at 60 lbs since I like a firmer response. Be aware that you must string this racquet with two pieces. One-piece stringing voids the warranty. Also, I found that it was slightly difficult to push the string through the double bridge. Otherwise, stringing this racquet went fine. Overall, this is a great racket for someone looking for a classic feel and response.

Comments: I've been looking for a stiff, headlight, big head racquet for a while because there aren't too many around. I just can't hold head heavy racquets. Also, I've been trying to find one in an open string pattern. This is the picture perfect racquet. The low swing weight helps me. Funny thing is, even though this racquet is heavier than lets say, a Pure Drive, it feels lighter because the Pure Drive feels head heavy to me.
From: Ashok, 1/14

Comments: This is a sweet frame. Practically identical to the old Response 97 that I used back in the late 90s. It's firm yet has great ball pocketing and is very soft on the arm. Keep it strung under 55 lbs with a multi or hybrid. It produced huge topspin from the back court while being very comfortable. Plays like a Prestige or Babolat PS TOUR with better vibration dampening and a larger sweet spot.
From: Lofty, 1/14

Comments: Outstanding racquet in all respects. Solid, hits a nice heavy ball from the baseline, yet very good at net. Serves had great pace and good spin. Hefty weight provides excellent plow through, with very little flex. Racquet did not feel stiff or jaring at any time.
From: Dave, 11/13

Comments: Warning: handle with care, this is a razor. The response is back (spin)! With all of its great specs. Serving and volleying is simply natural, and the weight is not too much at all. I'm happy that Prince is still producing more conventional racquets, along with all of its new technologies.

Prince Response 97 Racquets - Where to go from here