Comments: looking for a slightly heavier but still maneuverable racquet, I tried three Pro Kennex classics: the 5g, the 7g, and the Black Ace 98. I had never played with this brand, so I tried them out of curiosity. Surprisingly, I enjoyed playing with all of them and finally decided to buy the Black Ace, a very versatile racquet that gives you a unique combination of power, control and feel (I found the 5g amazing when hitting the ball in the sweep spot, but the Black Ace is a bit more forgiving when hitting off center and unbalance shots, while being equally solid overall). Funny thing is that almost nobody has ever heard about this racquet.
From: Armando, 4/12

Comments:This is really a hidden gem like another reviewer already stated. I demoed a lot of frames before I finally find out that the Black Ace 98 has the best touch and feel and the one I enjoyed most of all. I would even go as far to say it's on par with the feel of a Head Prestige Classic 600. As it is a player's frame you need a sound technique to get the most out of this racquet though it is still a pretty forgiving stick because of the 98 square inch headsize. You all know it when you hit the ball into the sweet area. Such a great feel! I am also surprised how well I can serve with this frame. I only think the Black Ace 98 is a bit too light in stock condition. Since I added 8 grams of lead (from 10 to 8 and 2 to 4 o'clock on the hoop) my shots feel a lot more solid and a bit stiffer at ball impact as well. If you are looking for a racquet with an exceptional touch and feel you owe it to yourself to demo the ProKennex Black Ace!
From: Gerald, 9/11
String type and tension:Head RIP Control 17 at 24 kg mains,23 kg crosses

Comments: This is a great racquet. I ended up with the 7g because I am able to play without pain, but if I didn't have such bad tennis elbow and wrist pain, this would have been the racquet.
From: Sean. 08/11

Comments: A super racquet! Everything is just right. I hit with it for a week and fell in love with it. Super control, a lot of control and spin at the same time. The only downside is that is not head-light enough for me. Is there any way that i can make it about 7-8 pts HL (without adding any wight cause i love this EXACT weight)
From: Kevin. 6/11
(Kevin, you could try changing out the synthetic replacement grip for a leather grip. Otherwise you would need to add weight to the handle end to create a more head light balance. Visit the TW University and our Learning Center for more information on customizing racquets. Please contact us at info@tennis-warehouse.com, and we can work with you more directly. -- TW Staff)

Comments: A really well made players stick. Surprising source of power from such low flex. Plays nice in all aspects of the game, and especially nice on your arm. Great control and margin for error. Spin potential is about average; you really need to depend on your strokes to create. HOWEVER, as good as it feels to yield this stick, don't be fooled if you don't have the adequate skills level for it. Without adequate preparation, I find a lack of bite on groundstrokes. Punch volleys are also a bit harder to hit.
From: B, VN, 11/10
String type and tension: PolyStar Energy 25kg, Mantis Power Poly & Comfort Synthetic 25kg

Comments: I have been a long time user of the Redondo and found this frame fun to play with, but a little too light & whippy for me to use in match play. Even with a leather grip and some lead tape on the hoop, this frame still gets overpowered and will twist on off center hits. I feel like this is between a players frame and a tweener. Great for doubles, but it's too light for me and actually bothered my elbow after a while. Nice racquet, but I will stick with the Redondo.
From: Basil, Wakefield, MA, USA, 07/10
String type and tension: Babolat VS gut 60#

Comments: The most important thing to bear in mind about this racquet is what Fred (second comment) already noted: 'a different graphite formula.' Frame design is the X factor of the racquet business, the effect of which you (unfortunately) can't predict by reading numbers off a website. I found the Redondo to play much stiffer than its specs would suggest, but the Black Ace is like butter. Where the Redondo is crisp and weighty (though not ponderously so), the BA is comfortable, more forgiving than it's dull red brother, and in possession of that fleeting quality you can't tell a racquet is going to have until you strike the ball; 'feel'. All that aside, the racquet plays just like you'd expect it to from a specifications stand point.
From: Mike, Riverside, CA. 6/10
String type and tension: Polyfibre TCS 1.20mm

Comments: I sold my Babolat Pure Control M's awhile back and have regretted it ever since. I've tried an insane amount of racquets in an attempt to find something that worked as well. Head Microgel and Youtek Radical Pro, and Extreme/ Extreme Pro, Dunlop Aerogel 200 and 300, Head Liquidmetal Instinct, Fischer M-Pro 98, Modified Wilson ntour, Prince Speedport Tour, Becker 11s mid and MP, etc. FINALLY I HAVE FOUND THE ONE. To say I'm picky would be a drastic understatement. This racquet has everything any real player needs. Low Power, but not anemic. Easy to swing but not a feather. Stable but not overly head weighted. And the string pattern: I said I'd NEVER use an 18 x 20 and now I'm gonna have to eat my words. This is the most well spaced 18x20 pattern possible. The strings are close enough for outstanding directional control but far enough to get the necessary spin. In fact this is the spiniest 18x20 imaginable. If you need a power boost from your racquet, don't bother. Otherwise this is your stick. Why more players don't use ProKennex is beyond me but I'm sold!
From: Matt, Springfield, MO
Demo--prince lightning 16

Comments: I've been hitting with a couple of Black Ace 98's for several months, with a poly/syn gut stringing. I recently restrung with all MSV Hepta-Twist: 17g, 52 lbs mains and 48 lbs crosses, as recommended. (Yes, I thought it would be too low, but I followed the directions.) The result is so remarkable that I thought I was just having one of those "in the zone" days, but after a few weeks it is clear that this is a lucky discovery, like peanut butter and jelly, or ham and eggs. The BA98, strung like this pockets the ball with a satisfying "whompf," delivering power, accuracy and far more spin than the Luxilon Rough I replaced...easier on the arm, too. If you own a BA 98, you should really consider restring it. TW, consider setting up BA98 demos as described, and order more frames and Hept-Twist - pretty sure you'll need 'em.
From: Fred, Texas 03/10
String type and tension:MSV Hepta Twist 17, 52 lbs mains and 48 lbs crosses
NTRP Rating: 4+

Comments: Bet nobody realized that the Black Ace 98 has a Babolat Woofer system for its grommet. I put a Babolat racquet side by side with a Black Ace and realized the grommet design is similar. I am still trying out the racquet alongside a Ki 5 PSE, so far, I'm tempted to get both. Key strengths of the Black Ace is its touch/feel and comfort level. Flat serves are a gem as well.
From: Eugene, Singapore 03/10
String type and tension: 56, Pacific Poly Force

Comments: Just found the perfect players racquet. Real old school feel, thin beam and all black. No major strengths on any shot, but no weakness either. Weight/balance is perfect which makes all shots solid, including returning big serves. Comfortable, great control and the other guys over the net has no ideal what you are using. Only players with a proper full fast swing will benefit, the rest, don't bother. If you lose a game with this racquet, you know its you, not the Black Ace. Those who use this racquet know this is a hidden gem!! Just the brand name holding it back.
From: Lee, Sydney, Australia 01/10
String type and tension: Tecnifibre X-one BiPhase at 50lbs.

Comments: What a great racquet (and price) for a players stick. Classic thin beam. Old School with pop. Nice flex, easy on the arm, feel/touch is exceptional and definitely control oriented. Nice balance, quick at net, stable, and solid from the baseline. Will fit all game styles. Quite impressed. I was a former Prestige die hard but am glad I found this stick. You just can't be disappointed with this one.
From: Johnny, Coldwater, MI 12/09
String type and tension: Head ETS 17g, 60-61 lbs

Comments: PERFECT BALANCE!!! I totally agree with the other two posts below me. Just a Great Players Frame.
From: Jack, Birmingham, AL, USA. 09/09
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 - 62lbs

Comments: A step up from the Wilson K95 and not a just a black Redondo - weighted more evenly and clearly a different graphite formula. Excellent flat and spin serves. strong topspin groundstrokes, solid volleys, nice touch on drop shots and angles. The sound on a solid hit is satisfying: like a snapping punch into a heavy bag. Yet it is comfortable and is easy on the arm. It does feel to me like an extension of the arm. I agree with the other reviewer: "The perfect racquet."
From: Fred, Dallas, TX. 7/09
String type and tension: Hybrid VS gut crosses 58, Hurricane mains 55
NTRP Rating: 4.0-4.5

Comments: Wow! Hit with the Black Ace 98 at a demo day and loved it. In my mind, the perfect racquet. Great weight in all the right places and not too stiff like other player's frames on the market. Just a great mix of control and power(when needed). Serves had good pop and returns felt solid off of big serves.
From: Matias, Charlotte, NC