Ashaway MonoGut ZX Pro 17 String Natural Customer feedback

Comments: Unfortunately, I need to update my previous review. One throbbing forearm and one aching shoulder and elbow later, I must only conclude that this string is not for me. And this in one of the most flexible (PS85) frames ever, leaded up to 371g, and strung at less than 40 pounds. At even 50 pounds in something like an APD, I can envision a 911 call and a trip to the ER. I call this a star-crossed "relationship" string. It's beauty is matched only by its tendency to rip me to shreds.
From: Robin, 7/16

Comments: I usually play with polyester strings, but thought I'd try out this polyketone string. However, the feel was harsh and without much pocketing, which is surprising given the low stiffness value on TW. The sticky, squeaky texture prevented snap-back and the strings got bent out of shape right from the start. Not sure if it is this way only for the black version, but it felt nothing like gut and broke in under 7 hours on my Blade 98 16x19.
From: Neville, 5/16

Comments: I'm a 4.5 player who strings my own racquets (USRSA certified). Tested two sets as cross string with polyester mains and broke another two while tying off the crosses in stringing. While the string is "soft" in terms of its elasticity in play and a good "playability" choice for crosses in a hybrid set, it feels like polyester when stringing i.e. very stiff and spring-like. My experience is consistent with that of another comment in this forum. "The string breaks easily when stringing especially when tying knots." Simply pulling on the string by hand caused the string to snap right at the final tie-off knot on two occasions out of four -- with the result that two half-sets were wasted as well as time in having to redo the cross strings. In play, however, breakage has not been a problem.
From: Neville, 5/16

Comments: This in a full bed is sublime. As a long-time player ever since the boom of the 1970s, I've always looked for a modern-day feeling that replicated the dangerous trampoline effect of the T2000, a launching platform which I craved. A full bed of this in a Wilson ProStaff 6.0 85 at 30 lbs makes the entire racquet face a sweetspot, especially when leaded up to 361 grams. (yes, 30 lbs! try it and you'll never go back I promise.) Perfect for flat drives as well as ridiculous topspin, this string can deliver the concussive pace goods. Is this the birth of the T2001? Or better yet the mythical AeroStaff? Thanks to this string, the sky's the limit, and the 1970s live again.
From: Robin, 4/16

Comments: Really loving this as a cross with Volkl Cyclone 17. That said, it can be a pain to string, given the propensity to breakage. Still, it's nice and slippery, and the feel is amazing. Couldn't ask for more spin or control -- decent power too. Not hard on the arm at all.
From: Ned, 4/16

Comments: Not convinced on this string. It is comfortable, yes, but doesn't have great feel. Power is ok, could use a bit more though. So far it is durable. I guess my problem is, I don't like the way it feels, and I'm not confident with it.
From: Ken, 11/15

Comments: Just strung up a Wilson PS 97LS with Luxilon 4G 17g as the main, and this (MonoGut ZX Pro 17 Black) as the cross. Main at 51 lbs, cross at 53 lbs. Used the 10 second pull (as recommended) on my Gamma 7000es electric stringer. One, and only one, word to describe it: perfect. I will not change a thing; ever! All shots were effortlessly powerful and completely in control. Feel is slightly muted, but just enough feedback to make you smile. I ask for nothing but perfection, and this delivers. Plays less plastic feeling than the same setup with the red. Don't ask me why, just a slight feel difference. One note, the 4g showed slight notching after 8 to 10 hours, heavy notching after 15 hours. Most of the tension is gone, ready to snap, and cut out at 20 hours. 2 racquet rotation; so this was about a month at 3/4 times a week. Previous hybrids include 4G (mains) and Volkl VFeel and Power Fiber II (my daughter uses Cyclone Tour 18); Technifibre NRG2 and X-One; Wilson NXT and NXT Tour (shredded in less than 8 hours), and Babolat VS Touch Natural Gut (16g).
From: Ned, 11/15

Comments: This string is a very good substitute for a slippery poly in the cross. However, it breaks a lot during stringing, especially when tying the knots. I string my own racquets and I will only continue to buy these strings if they reduce the price to under $10. It is very expensive as a cross.
From: Charles, 10/15

Comments: I never thought I would say that a string is better than natural gut, but this truly is better. Monogut ZX is almost as soft as gut, but Monogut is far more durable, especially in the south Florida humidity, and it provides better pop. I initially had my daughter use this string after she had repeated problems with wrist and elbow injuries. Since using this string, she has been injury free for four years and was a national finalist in May. Coaching my daughter, I try a lot of different strings that she gets for free from tournament sponsors, but I haven't found any string as soft, durable, and powerful as Monogut ZX. I string it at 56 pounds for my daughter.
From: Geoff, 9/15

Comments: One of the few hidden secrets in tennis string. I cannot comment on a full bed or use in the mains, but to me, it is a perfect cross. A hard, slick string that is very durable. Plays soft, but yet has great dynamic stiffness. This has been my cross for many months and probably will be for years to come. As long as you are reasonably careful when you string it, you shouldn't have any problems with durability. Gets an A+ in my book.

Comments: After upping my training schedule from 5 to 15 hours per week I started to get some shoulder pain from my full poly set up (Tourna BHB7/Golden Set Power Cord). I've since switched to using the Monogut ZX 17 Pro as a cross and the difference in comfort has been astounding. Still fiddling with finding the perfect tension but so far I would say as a cross it provides all the benefits of a poly without the harsh impact. It does add a higher pitched ping to my string bed on impact but I'm getting used to it. I'm an open level tournament player using a Yonex Ai98.
From: Rob, 4/15 Comments: My daughter had been a top 10 junior in Florida. At the age of 12, she had to drop to 6 hours a week on court due to wrist and elbow tendinitis. Her growth spurt and joint hyper-mobility worsened the tendinitis. Soft strings helped, but south Florida humidity and damp clay courts shortened the life of gut strings to about 3 hours. Having noticed that Tennis Warehouse rated Ashaway MZX Pro as the softest non-gut string, I had my daughter try it and she liked it right away. She has built up to 24 hours a week on court and has been injury-free since she began using Ashaway MZX Pro 18 months ago. In addition to being the softest non-gut, Ashaway is much more lively than any string that is of comparable durability. I string her racquets at 58 mains, 57 crosses, matching the tension I used for natural gut.
From: Geoff, 8/14

Comments: I am using this string as a cross with Wilson NG 17g, great combo. Highly recommend, but the ZX ripped into the gut too quickly for this to be the go to string bed. It is an interesting string in that TWU list ZX and gut as 2 of the softest strings, but this combo plays crisp, which is what I like about it. Soft on the arm but with crisp power. Gonna try the 16g and see how long that lasts. I think Wilson or Ashaway should sell this Hybrid.
From: Blair, 4/14

Comments: This is a great tweener string. It is as comfortable as natural gut and as durable as polyester. The red one has a softer feel than the natural one. I think a full bed at 55-59 lbs is the ideal tension for this string.
From: Steven, 8/13

Comments: String broke after 10 minutes of play with Solinco Barb Wire 17 as mains at 46 lbs and this string as a cross at 49 lbs. It just snapped after a mishit near the frame. I'm not a big hitter and usually cut strings before they break. I use a Wilson Blade 98S and I was very careful during the stringing. While it worked, the feeling was great, lots of spin from the Barb Wire. I cannot trust this string now.
From: Nick, 10/14

From: Geoff, 8/14

Comments: The great thing about these MonoGut strings is that they don't have a coating that wears off. I haven't playtested them, but my longtime tennis partner switched to MonoGut at my suggestion right after it came out and he always plays better with it than with his Head strings (soft polyolefin). He also has had tennis elbow in the past and never has problems with these strings, saying they play better than NRG-2 and other strings he's used. The other thing I have noticed is that they last longer for him than the other strings he's tried. I use Dynamite 16 and have a lot of packs saved up. I like the textured coating on that string, but he and other players didn't like the way it shreds. People who worry about looks will definitely prefer MonoGut because it doesn't have a coating. He is a 4.0 serve and volleyer. I am a low 4.5 baseliner.
From: Rich, 2/14

Comments: My son plays in B18s here in Texas. This is the first string I've found that he doesn't break after a few hours. He has Proline II in the mains at 54 pounds and the ZX in the crosses at 58 pounds. Says the feel is similar to the softer multifilaments we have tried in the crosses.
From: Roger, 8/13

From: Steven, 8/13

Comments: Hands down, no string compares to this. Best secret in tennis. It's as soft and powerful as gut and as durable as poly. Just be careful not to twist during stringing because it will crease and break like gut.
From: Todd, 9/14