The Mindset Book Customer feedback

Comments: Quick Read that you can skim. Good for people like me that need think less mechanically and allow myself to play well consistently and under turning points/pressure. Did more for my results than any other tennis book I have read. Not very technical and not aimed to be. More stories than I needed but easy to skim. If you need to reset your mind, and enjoy the sport more, this worth the read.

Comments: Good:
It's got plenty of good tips that I forget about while waging war on the court. Don't think ahead, focus on the now, visualize the point, basic stuff like that. It's presented in a certainly unique way which may or may not work for you, but at least it differs from other books in that sense.
Bad:
There's no new material in here. I'm serious, I knew all of the stuff they presented to us in the text. It's basically "The Inner Game of Tennis" presented with ways to use the stuff in everyday life. So what separates this book from every other mental help book? Unfortunately, not much. It feels so rehashed.
Final Thoughts:
It's a good read for entry-level players, but there's nothing new for the more experienced players.
From: TT User: SuperFly, 01/11

Comments: A little bit about myself: I am a competitive club player and have been playing since 2005, although I did play a little bit when I was a child. One of the things I lack on my game is focus while playing. If you see me playing a friendly match you could think I play a very high level of tennis, but if you see me on a real match you will know better. Most of the time my nerves and my mind take care of my body on a real match situation. On the other hand I am not an believer of these type of books mainly because I think that I learn more by trial and error than by reading. I decided to join this Book Playtest because I thought it was time to try something else. It is the first book of this type I ever read, but I do read a lot.

About the book. I think it is an easy to read book, I found it light and I did enjoy it very much. I think the flow of ideas is well presented and it turned out to be more of a practical handbook than a text book.
I took the time to do all the exercises and I honestly think that I was able to see the results from the beginning. Some of the things they recommend I have heard (and tried) before, some ideas are completely new for me. I should say that most of the tips and instructions are very easy to remember when needed and in my case are very effective, at least so far.

I think reading the book with an open mind and taking the time and dedication to follow the instructions are key factors, just reading it may not work. Specially the PSP part.
I liked the illustrations, the idea of what is good and what is bad is well represented, also the tables are a good help.
It was written as somebody is telling you a story, I really liked that, it includes very interesting anecdotes which made the reading more interesting.
I did not particularly liked the fact that you had to make "homework" but I guess that is the point of the book.
Finally I really liked the Epilogues, it gave me the feeling that the authors had a good time writing the book and they believe on it and really love the game of tennis.
I would certainly recommend this book to my friends, in fact I already did.
From: TT User: jmverdugo, 01/11

Comments: As a proponent of the mental side of tennis instruction, I was eager to read Mindset. Too often tennis coaches (myself included) don't spend enough time on this aspect of tennis instruction. However I was mostly disappointed in the book. Having read Winning Ugly, Mental Tennis & The Inner Game of Tennis numerous times & constantly referring to them both for my game & my students, I consider these 3 books to be my "Holy Trinity" of mental tennis books. They're much more straightforward to read & their points are much, much easier for players/students to grasp. When I started reading this book, I hoped it wouldn't be similar to a book I had read a few years ago entitled Flow which I didn't particularly enjoy & sure enough, Chapter 8 discussed many of the ideas in the book.

I just felt this book & Flow had too much psychological mumbo-jumbo that someone like myself without even one psychology class under his belt had difficulty embracing. I had trouble fully accepting many of the themes presented in Mindset. The repetition of ideas didn't necessarily simply things either, but I needed it because most of the time I spent reading, I had to go back & verify what was said time & time again.

If I had to recommend this book to a fellow coach, player or student, I would have them read only Chapters 5-7 & 9, as to me they were the most pertinent to the mental side of tennis. This book would serve only as a small supplement to more well written & easier understood tennis books that I've listed earlier. I would make photocopies of important facets & focus on them. I felt the 6 Pillars would be completely over the head of most tennis students, & a few of them I completely disagreed with.
From: TT User: tennisnj, 01/11

Comments: Finished the book today and have a pretty good idea of what I thought about it.

POSITIVES-The positive part of this book is that it is a better version of most mental tennis books that I read. I have read other mental tennis books and this is by far one of the better ones. I have read Mental Tennis by Vic Braden, The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey, and Wining Ugly by Brad Gilbert. This book is one of the better ones. Mostly because it is talking about the new era and what you should do now with mental. The game has changed and so has mental tennis. I do like that how it has the pillars in a chart on a page instead of just reading them in a paragraph. The examples can really relate to players. I also gave a try with the pillars during my match and most of them were helpful, but it wasn't really immediate, but I will try to continue to use them because they were helpful as I played more in my match. The pictures were amusing

NEGAVTIVE- The problem with this book and I see with other reviewers that I agree with is the repetitiveness of the book. Story thinking and the 6 pillars over and over. I know that they want to make sure that we remember but you don't have to repeat it that many times. I don't like how they try to put this into everyday life like at your work. It really didn't make sense to me. They also have on the cover saying that there would be immediate results. I did not really have immediate results when I first started playing with these idea in my head. They did start to work, but not immediately. I also got bored towards the end of reading it because it continues to repeat.

OVERALL- I would recommend this to someone who is having trouble with there game. I myself am missing the mental part of my tennis game and I enjoy reading books like this. Every book like this always has a tip that I can use, but this book gave me so many tips and they have been starting to work more and more as I play with these ideas in my head. I prefer this book because it is modern. I was too young to remember any of the former players so this book is a step up from the other mental tennis books imo. So if you are looking for a book on mental tennis I would really show this book out of the others that I have read. This book is the modern game of mental tennis. But, you can't practice mental tennis without playing with these ideas so I will def continue to use these tips.
From: TT User: serve stopper, 01/11

Comments: So I finished the book last night. The only other one I've read all the way through was Brad Gilbert's Winning Ugly. I liked that book better than this one.

The Bad: I was really into the book at first, but it just seemed to be too repetitive. My thoughts as I was reading were always "Dear God man, get to the point!". I also had no intention of using the practices/exercises. The catch phrases were kind of cheesy too. "Friendly eyes" always made me laugh. I thought "The Eagle" was also kind of silly in addition to some of the other graphics in the book. The term "NB" would just appear randomly throughout the book in a few places which was odd.

I definitely got bored when they tried to apply tennis examples to working at the office. Even though I work in an office, those examples just did not stick with me. I imagine it would not work very well for others who do different types of work.

The Good: I liked how they emphasized just focusing on the point. Don't worry about the game, set or match score. I'm guilty of this. I always loved this question to Rafa Nadal after he lost a match. "When did you think that you were going to lose the match Rafa?". His answer point blank was "When I lost the last point". Focusing on the now and not worrying about the past/future is a good way to play.

I had to laugh at how they point out players that blame their coach for a loss. It's all too common. The other thing they brought up that I see on TTW all the time is that I lost to a player I'm much better than. They point out how the Ego gets in the way.

Worrying about things you control is another good tip that I forget. I was playing a tournament a few weeks ago and this one guy kept clapping for my opponent and it was really irking me. I can't control who the guy cheers for so I should not have spent more than 2 seconds thinking about it.

I'm a person that likes specific examples and when they brought those out, this is where I thought the book shined. It is an easy read and at the right price, I would certainly recommend it to a friend. I think it works better for a younger developing player than a battle hardened tennis player like myself but I still got a lot out of it.
From: TT User: mikeler, 01/11

Comments: I just finished reading this book, but after reading only the first few pages I was able to say that this book was amazing. I have never been a really positive player, and I have been wanting to change my mental game around. This book is the tool for the job. It pretty much picks up where The Inner Game of Tennis left off. This book establishes how to turn your mental game around, and it gives you exercises to help you change your point of view. I would recommend reading the Inner Game of Tennis first because that book talks about the relationship between body and mind, and this book tells you how to train your mind. All in all, it is definitely a great read and it is absolutely worth every penny.
From: Taylor, Farmington, New Mexico, USA, 01/11