New Balance MC 696 D Grey/Blue Men's Shoes Customer feedback

Comments: These are my first pair of actual court shoes I bought and I really liked them. They felt great -- I'm actually buying another pair for everyday use. On court, they felt light, solid, and responsive. They also lasted me one tennis season, so I feel like they had good durability too. After these died I bought a pair of 996s, and honestly I still think I prefer the 696s, especially considering the price difference.
From: Neil, 7/14

Comments: I have used and loved the 600 series for years. However, the MC 696 feels completely different than its predecessors. It is a lot narrower in the toe-box area. The side walls of the toe-box are a lot higher and stiffer. The insole feels too voluminous and bulky (kind of crowds out your foot). I had to return mine ASAP. The former 600s, in my case, are vastly superior.
From: Guy, 6/14

Comments: I have worn these shoes for several months. I have a slightly wide foot and bought half a size up. They wear well, seem to have sufficient cushioning and ventilation. Not a bad shoe for the price.

Comments: I find that these shoes do not have enough cushioning. The insole is very thin and they almost immediately started hurting the bottom of my feet. I have worn New Balance shoes in the past, but I am disappointed with this model.

Comments: Being the cheapskate that I am, I wore several different models of New Balance cross-trainer shoes for tennis prior to taking the plunge and purchasing a pair of New Balance 696. I've also tried some lower-end Nike and Adidas tennis shoes a while back, but I've found the right fit and feel with the New Balance. Just walking around the house, the 696 surprisingly felt a little rigid. They came to life in my first match and perhaps they just needed a little time to break in. I would say that the 696 is the economy version of the 996 with a similar look and last. The mesh keeps this shoe light and breathable, but there's enough synthetic leather in the upper to prevent my feet from shifting around as many mesh-predominant shoes are known for. If you prefer a softer, more cushioned feel, these shoes are probably not for you. The Abzorb midsole provides a firm response with good rebound, but they never felt under-cushioned. Like the 996, there is some outsole material protruding on the outskirts of the forefoot which gives it a wider footprint and more support. And yes, these are cool looking shoes as I purchased the grey/bright green combo. While many of the older NB models are popular amongst the senior population with a conservative look, the newer NB models come in some flashy color schemes. However, if you still desire a conservative color scheme, it's still offered.
From: NJ, 3/13