Comments: Just got the 696 shoes so I can start playing tennis for my first time. These shoes are amazing! Very comfortable and very stylish. Wore them for about 30 mins playing basketball just to wear them in before my first lesson and they felt great! Right out of the box no aches or blisters. These shoes have plenty of room and fit to size. I just got done with my first lesson which lasted 1.5 hrs and still have them on. Never have I owned an athletic shoe I wash't dying to rip off as soon as I was done. I went to New Balance because of the Cross Training 877 shoes I own. Those are the lightest and most comfortable shoe ever made!
From: Kyle, 7/13

Comments: I just recieved these shoes, and noticed as soon as I took them out of the box that they looked very narrow for a 2E shoe. I put one on and they were very tight and the toes felt crammed in there. I will be sending these back and trying another shoe.

Comments: Being the cheapskate that I am, I wore several different models of New Balance cross-trainer shoes for tennis prior to taking the plunge and purchasing a pair of New Balance 696. I've also tried some lower-end Nike and Adidas tennis shoes a while back, but I've found the right fit and feel with the New Balance. Just walking around the house, the 696 surprisingly felt a little rigid. They came to life in my first match and perhaps they just needed a little time to break in. I would say that the 696 is the economy version of the 996 with a similar look and last. The mesh keeps this shoe light and breathable, but there's enough synthetic leather in the upper to prevent my feet from shifting around as many mesh-predominant shoes are known for. If you prefer a softer, more cushioned feel, these shoes are probably not for you. The Abzorb midsole provides a firm response with good rebound, but they never felt under-cushioned. Like the 996, there is some outsole material protruding on the outskirts of the forefoot which gives it a wider footprint and more support. And yes, these are cool looking shoes as I purchased the grey/bright green combo. While many of the older NB models are popular amongst the senior population with a conservative look, the newer NB models come in some flashy color schemes. However, if you still desire a conservative color scheme, it's still offered.
From: NJ, 3/13