Comments: Despite the negative comments posted, I decided to buy these shoes because of their low price and the generous 1 year warranty. They were comfortable right out of the box and have been among the best tennis shoes I have ever purchased. After 8 months, I am still playing 2 or 3 times per week in them. They are almost worn out now, but they still feel comfortable and stable. Normally, I tend to wear tennis shoes out in 4 or 5 months. Admittedly, these shoes may not be as cushy as some, but I prefer less cushion, low-to-the-ground shoes as they feel more stable to me.
From: Rick, 12/13

Comments: The 851s were my first New Balance shoe. The 851 2E width perfectly fit my feet. However, New Balance quit making the 851s, so I thought I would try the 656s as a replacement. Big mistake. If the 851 2Es fit your feet, the 656 2Es will be too big. Also, the other comments about lack of cushioning are not exaggerating; there isn't any cushioning to the 656s. The 656s feel large and cumbersome on my feet. I hope they don't last, so I can move on to something else.
From: Rick, 6/13

Comments: Reasonable good shoes although one complaint is that they are not "non-marking". Mine left black marks on the club's indoor courts. I would expect a tennis shoe sold by a tennis only store to be suitable for hard courts.
From: Wade, 2/13

Comments: This is a legitimate 2E. They are real wide in the toe box and longer then most 10.5. The cushioning is skimpy.
From: Jose, 12/12

Comments: I have very wide feet, so New Balance has been my shoe for awhile. I have been buying their top of the line shoes for several years. Recently tried these shoes in an effort to save a little money. Big mistake. It is a comfortable shoe if your taking a walk in the park. If you are a serious tennis player, don't bother with these shoes. No cushioning at all. After I played for 2 hours, it felt like I had been running barefoot. I hope I haven't damaged my feet! Never had this problem with the better New Balance shoes.
From: Rob, 9/12

Comments: Perfect for my feet. The soles are cut to be wider in forefoot than any other New Balance shoes. It lets my feet breath and there's no cut off of blood flow.

Comments: I had tried the 851's 2E but they were too narrow even though I usually get 2E's from New Balance. I was looking for something light weight. I had previously played in this series 653, 654, 655 New Balance's base model, but had upgraded to the 1004's which I liked a lot but they seemed to wear easy. I play in the summer about 20 hours a week. Thought the 804's were as very comfortable but they wore even faster. The 656's are actually lighter than the 104's but not as light as the 851's. Big improvement from the 655's to the 656's is that they are lighter and also the toe top is now mesh instead of leather. This makes it lighter, more comfy and more ventilated. Wore them for 2 matches so far. No break-in needed. I do miss the lock in liner of the 104's though. Noticed that the sole seems to have a little more width which probably added for greater stability for lateral movement. Not as narrow, low profile or light as the 851's. Performed as good as the 1004's for much less money. Also for some reason the laces seemed to be much shorter than average but was still able to double knot them. Bottom line New Balance upgrades their base model to perform nearly or as good as their more expensive shoes with key improvements in ventilation, comfort, and reduction in weight.

Red Accent