Luxilon ALU Power Ice Blue 16L 726' String Reel Customer feedback

Comments: I decided to try this string out of morbid curiosity, because I am very satisfied with MSV Focus Hex strings. But, because the use of this string on the Tour and all the masochist tendencies of expensive means better I gave it a try. It turned out to be a pretty good string. Very powerful and the grip on the ball is not bad for not being a textured string or a thin one. It starts very stiff, but after a while it loosens a bit and gets more comfortable, like any other poly out there. I still prefer my MSV because of better spin and cost effectiveness, but if you are looking for power as the main priority and can afford it, I recommend this string blindly. In about a month I will be trying Tourna Big Hitter Rough 17 and compare them with by beloved MSVs to see if its worth making a switch.
From: Eric, San Juan, PR. 4/11

Comments: I came back to this string because of it's buy 2 get 1 free promotion. Good control, good spin, low power string. Here's a bit of my advice. Its recommended to have it string at least 10% less of tension, if you do that, you mess it up. The tension loss of this string is a Lot, over 15% in the first couple days of play. This string is stiff, so the way to do it is put the string on at your normal tension (I put 3 lbs more on mine) be patient and let it rest for a week or 2. This way, it already has some of its tension loss before you play, which won't leave you feeling like hitting a wooden board and hurting your arm. (If you do the 10% less tension, it will feel like your favorite racket for the first 1 or 2 days and it'll feel like crap at the rest of its life. It's like 40+ lbs left or something like that). Highly recommend for hybrid as the main and something soft at the cross. If you do a full bed, make sure to get a good or bigger dampener, because of its stiffness it tends to vibrate a lot. Good luck :)
From: Jack, Denver, USA, 03/11

Comments: These strings have changed my whole game to anther level and I can't even describe it. These strings are the best feeling strings I had ever hit with.
From: Shaun, Riverside, CA, USA, 03/11

Comments: I never was very picky with my strings. I could get just about anything and be fairly happy with it. After trying this brand, however, I've become extremely happy with it. It's all I use now.
From: Lauren, Tulsa, OK, USA. 5/08

Comments: I went through a myriad of different strings to find the substitute of Babolat's Hurricane, which was destroying my forearm. I tried different combinations of more arm-friendly versions, but all lacked power. The recommendation of TW was to try Luxilon 17L, but I thought this was too much for me. Fortunately, I friend got me a sample of this 16L although I was scared at the beginning because of the feedback of many players regarding the hardness of Luxilon's. I had to stop playing for 3 days to get my arm in condition before to test the new strings and when I got back to the court I felt very little pain. You have to get used to ALU Power's feel, especially without a dampener, but my initial sensation was fine. Next day I was playing championship and I noticed I was hitting the ball harder, my slice shot was going deep easier and I gained 10 km/h (6 mph) on top speed for my first serve... without even lowering the tension from my former strings. I clinched a three-set victory after 2 hours on court my arm was just fine. I'm a 4.5 All-court player who can do nothing but recommend this strings to everybody... specially in this ice-flavor, which makes you feel unique on court (since no other brand is using the same color). Lots of power, plenty of control, generous spin...I fell in love!
From: Sergi, Barcelona, Spain, 04/08

Comments: I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like this string is very soft. Even though it is polyester, the aluminum inside (hence the name ALU power) probably makes it soft. If you are thinking about stringing your racquet with the ALU power, I would recommend that you string it in both the mains and crosses. You'll get enough feel, plenty of spin, and so-so power. If you hybrid this racquet, you would unnecessarily increase the feel of the racquet and lose power.
From: Anon., 5/07

Comments: I used to string my racquet (Wilson Blade) with Signum Pro Poly-Plasma @ 58lb, but my elbow started to hurt. So I decided to try Luxlon Alu Power @ 55lb. It's the best string I ever used. I'm a base line player, my level is 4.5. I can hit the ball harder, with more precision as well, and my elbow is ok. The string does not run and it doesn't loose any tension at all. This string certainly increases the quality of your game.
From: Juliano, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil. 4/07

Comments: This string works very well in terms of power. I used it as a main with a Gamma Live Wire XP 17 as a cross. Comparing to multi-filament string such as a Tecnifibre X-one Biphase or a Gamma Live Wire XP, I felt popping out when the ball meets stringbed, which is incredible for such stiff string. Though I am not a hard hitter or spin doctor, I think it works for me. Because I am using a flexible racquet (Prince Tour Diablo MP), comfort issue is not a problem. However, I must take time to use a touch shot with this string.

Comments: Amazing strings!!! I hit at least 10+ mph harder now! I can smack the ball and not have to pray that it will go in. Be wary though, stringing with all polyester can be rough on your arm. I only strung my racket (o3 white) at 56 and I'm still feeling a little soreness. I'm going tough it out because it hits so nicely! Also, I'd put a vibration dampener on. I hate the "gong" sound this string makes and my handle shakes too, but when you put a dampener on, all you hear is a nice “thunk”.
From: Ronak, Tempe, AZ, USA. 2/07

Comments: For my Yonex Ultimum RD TI80, I get an awesome feel with it. Even though I'm a serve and volleyer, all the added power will make my shots come close and hard to return. The spin I can get with my drops throw off many players. These are truly awesome strings.
From: Milan, CA, USA. 2/07

Comments: I have used this string ever since my game became better. It is a great string but drops tension rather rapidly. It has a comfortable feel. I enjoy blasting the balls to hit my winners and these string do the trick. Whether you enjoy blasting away at the ball or playing at a slow pace, these are great strings. The only problem I have ever had with them is when I string them. They tangle a lot and it is hard when one does the crosses. Well, I hope whoever uses these strings enjoy them as much I do.
From: Jonathan, USA, 01/07

Comments: If you don't have a semi-western or western grip on your shots, just don't even bother getting this string. This string is designed for modern, fast, aggressive players who rip the ball with loads of topspin. Everybody says: oh it feels like a board, it's stiff. Well yeah, probably because you don't have the right technique for it. 4.5+ players should love this stuff.
From: Marios, Miami, FL, USA. 12/06

Comments: I play with the Big Banger ALU in a hybrid and I love it. I use a synthetic gut as the cross string and it plays just right. I get a good amount of both power and control with minimal shock to my elbow. I play 5-7 days a week and the string hasn't broken in that time period so they are pretty durable. I would recommend this string to big hitters who don't have elbow problems. If this does hurt your elbow by itself you can always use it in a hybrid as I have.
From: Tyler, USA. 12/06

Comments: Got the strings few days ago since everyone was talking about them. Strung it at 56lbs [10% less then my normal]. First few hours played great! Then it started to lose the tension a bit which I'm not very satisfied with. It still plays a lot better then most strings out there. But it is a little rough on the hand. Great for hard hitters like myself and good on serves. I found it a little difficult at the net. I'd recommend anyone who doesn't have tennis elbow to use this string [though hybrid works better]. I'd say keep the tension as normal. I'm a 4.0 player using a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Plus.
From: Suman, Bronx, New York, USA. 9/06

Comments: Great String. No wonder the pros use it so much. This string has given me extra spin, feel, and power on all my shots. I am a high school student training with former college player and this string has certainly helped me in leveling out the wide skill gap. On the downside the Luxilon Big Banger is rough on your arm but the trade off is worth it and definitely a string worth buying.
From: Philip, Kingman, AZ, USA 08/06

Comments: I used to string my Wilson nCode N61 95 with Wilson NXT Tour 16 @60lb but it felt too soft and there was a lot of string movement. I heard a lot about the ALU Power so I gave it a shot. I strung it at 57lb and found it to hold tension very well. My groundstrokes was crisp with similar power to the NXT Tour with good control but the volley felt dead and stiff. I think this is a very good string for a hard hitter better than Volkl VRex. I'm thinking about stringing the other racket with Big Banger ACE to see whether or not I can regain the touch at the net.
From: Labhas, Bangkok, Thailand 08/06

Comments: Awesome string. I am a hard hitter and string breaker and had to try this string after reading all of the hype about it. It lives up to it and more. The power is incredible but as one person already said I would disregard Luxilon's advice of stringing it 10% lower unless you cant generate any power by yourself, but that is unlikely the case if you are buying this string. I had my Liquidmetal radical strung at 59 and it was perfect. Control is also very good which is surprising considering how stiff this string is. I could also generate lots of topspin on the forehand and backhand side as well as under-spin with slices. Durability is the forte of this string and it is very durable. My string finally broke after 1 month with 2 hours of hitting a day. (I am reordering this string as soon as I type this). Lost tension was probably about 5 or 6 pounds before it broke. In my opinion the only negative with this string is the lack of feel when hitting. Despite the accuracy of the strings the feel of the ball is not there, but to me the benefits far outweigh the negatives and I will continue to use it. I would recommend this string to anyone.
From: Tim, Bergen County NJ USA 06/06

Comments: I am a college player and I decided I would try this string on my Head Liquidmetal Prestige. I followed the tips on the back of the package for stringing. After a couple days on the court with these strings, I decided that these strings are the worst I have ever played with. They have absolutely no power and feel like your hitting with a board. These strings are not what they are hyped up to be and I am sticking with Babolat strings.
From: Will, Richmond, Virginia, USA 04/06

Comments: First of all, I would like to thank Luxilon for creating a string that succeeds all other strings. Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power is amazing. I like to string it at my normal tension, and it feels great. The strings do not move, ball fuzz does not get stuck, and it offers power and control at the same time. What other string does that? It also lasts forever. I have not been able to break this string before it goes dead, which is about a few months of hard hitting. I will never look back!
From: Jason, San Francisco, CA USA 02/06

Comments: I'm a 4.5-5.0 serve and volley player. I tried this string in my Prince NXG @ 63lbs. No pain but not enough increased power to warrant loss of control with virtually every shot. When the strings loosened up to around 55-60lbs, I was able to regain control because I was swinging less hard. The strings loosened so fast (within 3-5 playing hours) that the time spent in the good tension zone was gone rapidly. I then used the string as a hybrid with 16g Babolat VS gut in the crosses and this in the mains. (I still strung the Luxilon tight @ 63lbs because of how fast it loses tension, and the gut at 65lbs). Pretty good balance of power and control. The Luxilon mains broke before the gut in about 12 sets. I am used to breaking VS gut in 2 sets (outrageously expensive) but they last 10-12 sets when using a lot of string savers (Babolat). I will now try the 18g TiMO stings in the mains and 17g VS in the crosses to see how durable that will be (I expect great control). If they break as fast as all gut, I'll string saver the next one.
From: Brad, Denver, CO, USA. 12/05

Comments:Simply the best string ever made. I head Patrick McEnroe mention that a 75% of the pros were using this string and I had to give it a try. It became clear to me why that many pros use this string after my first hitting session. It gives your racket a crisp, powerful, yet controllable feel that no other string I've used can provide. Once you hit with it, there is no going back. Yes it's expensive but it's a pretty durable string so in the long run it evens out.
From: Graddy 10/3
Florida - USA

Comments: I've been a baseliner with minimal spin and a hard flat server for years. Ever since placing ALU Power in my racquet, spin has entered my game!!! I've learned to kick my serves wherever I want and add HEAVY topspin and slices to my strokes. I'm a hard hitter and best of all, THE STRINGS DON'T MOVE!!! I've usually used Gamma TNT2 ProPlus in my sticks and now I've made the permanent switch. If you're reading these comments, you're obviously curious about them. Go ahead and give them a try and I'm sure you'll like the strings. I plan on using the Power Rough's in my 2nd racquet.
From: Roland 9/29
3.5 baseliner (Thundercloud @ 60lbs)
Columbus, OH

Comments: Very, very stiff string. I would suggest that you put something on the crosses that is softer and offers more touch than the Luxilon stuff. Try, Wilson enduro pro, Gamma live wire, Tecnifibre nrg2, Klip excellerator or Wilson NXT max with this string and you will never find another better combination. You can hit deep and give some nice short angles, in combination with a few nice touch shots. I'm using a Wilson ncode sixone 95 with luxilon on mains @58 and wilson nxt @60 on the crosses.
From: Anonymous 9/25
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Comments:I have just started using the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power rough and I have to admit that it is crazy. I have never really cared about the type of strings that go in my racquet (I usually bought what was cheapest at the time). However, after reading an article about the string I decided to give it a try. It's incredible! I can hit the same pace shots without as much effort, giving me more balance on the court. Also the top spin generated by the string saves some of my shots that with other strings would have gone way long (probably due to the fact that the strings stay still. I am a heavy topspin player and this is VERY important to my game). I recommend stringing it 5% less than other strings even though the manufacturer says 10%. Because of its power, 10% will almost definitely leave you unsatisfied. I went from 60 lbs to 57lbs.
From: Jimmy 9/24
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Comments: I am a female 3.0 player and just got my Wilson nTour delivered and had no string so a friend of mine loaned me a pack of this string. I was so worried that this was going to be a horrible string since I had never played with it before but I was willing to take my chances. The next day I got my racquet back and played doubles the weekend and all I can say is wow! So much power and reasonable control. I groundstrokes are like bullets and my serve has more pop. These strings take a little getting use to and I decided to string my racquet at the regular tension and the string still played great. I would look down to see if I needed to straighten strings but I never had to. I use to use Prince Lightning xx but I am committed to this string from now on. You have to try it!
From: Nita, Newport News, VA, USA. 8/05

Comments: I finally decided to give this string a try and found out that it plays just like the best polyester strings with one major difference - this string will not go dead like most polyester strings. It maintains the nice playability for a much longer period. Also, I found out tennis sting is much better for you and your arm if you use a heavier racquet. It is a great string.
From: Ovidio, Brighton, CO, USA. 9/05

Comments: This string is awesome on power and control, but it's missing out the spin. I'm looking for more topspin and this string won't give me topspin.
From: Steve, Hoffman Estates, USA. 8/05

Comments: After reading all the positive things others have to say about this string and playing against other players who use this string I had to give it a try. All of the feedback is true! This string has improved my serve and my forehand topspin and especially my backhand slice. I hit with more confidence. My serve now has some kick and I have been able to play with ways to kick wide or into the body. My volleys are crisp and despite what others say about the "stiffness" I think it all has to do with tension. Lower the tension about 5% to 10%. You have to find the right feel for yourself. Experiment! I did have some elbow soreness. But, it has been less of a factor the more I have been playing with this string. The soreness has slowly gone away. I highly, highly agree you must give this a try. But, if you play in tournaments in Texas, stay with your old ratty string. I need all the advantages I can get...see you on the courts! 3.5, soon to be 4.0, playing with a Head Flexpoint Radical Tour with Big Banger ALU and Timo 17.
From: Jacques, Garland TX, USA. 8/05

Comments: I love this string. Great control with power. My volleys seem to suffer though. Also my wrist has started to hurt. I want to try something else, but don't want to lose the power an control this string gives.
From:David, Roseville, CA, USA

Comments: Went to tennis camp with this string, WOW, PAIN, PAIN, PAIN, They should put a warning label on this string, hey it bites a lot but it also bites back. As a 4.0 player, I don't see how the pros keep their arms intact! It was nice to get the great bite and topspin but 1 week later I am still suffering!
From:Chris City, State, Country: allentown, PA

Comments: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power is probably the best string ever made. I used to use a synthetic gut string which broke after about 3 hours of play but the Big Banger just keeps going strong. The power and control of the Big Banger is amazing, I'm playing at a high level and need all the power and control I can get and with the Big Banger is possible. A must buy string for any serious tennis player.
From: Matt, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 07/05

Comments: Overall, this is by far the best string I have ever used. I've made a small chart of its strengths and weaknesses, scale 1-10, 5 being of median value: -Comfort: 5 (probably thanks to my high tension) -feel: 4 (felt a little dead) -touch: 8 (was comparable to high-quality multifilament string) -power: 10 (nothing compares) -control: 10 (nothing compares) -tension stability: 10 (I use heavy topspin, and these strings don't budge!) -durability: judging by the wear and tear so far, 10 The bottom line is, if you're tired of losing tons of control with multifilament nylon strings and despise their durability, and don't hold things such as comfort and string feel in extremely high regard, these stings will make your game consistent and reliable without losing more than a tiny bit of your power. I use a Wilson nCode nPro Surge strung @ 63 lbs.
From: Keith, Texas, U.S.A. 07/05

Comments: Big Banger is a great main string that lasts for ages. It has great feel for a polyester string that many others do not have. I am using a flex point radical and use big banger on the mains and a softer string for the crosses, it lasts about 2-4 weeks depending on how much I have been hitting. I would re-string the racquet every few weeks as it does not keep tension over the 2 week period like many other string wont, its just how string is. I would recommend it to players that brake string all the time and wish to get a string that can last up to a month depending on the players level.
From: Matt, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 06/05

Comments: I like them a lot. They never move. I can't remember the last time that I had to fix my strings. They also hold tension very well. Probably the most durable strings I have used. They offer incredible power and control. Luxilon may not be the string for everyone, but it's the string for 60% of the pros.
From:Narath, Boston, MA, USA 5/05

Comments: I have to say, I was not expecting much out of a Poly. I am a long time PSG user, and had not found a better string. I bought this to see what all the hype was about, but, after I tried it, I was in shock. It has everything. You have to try it. It is definitely worth every penny.
From: Glenn, Riverside, Ca, USA 05/05

Comments: Wow! Great string. I was using prince syn. gut for longtime and looking for change since they lost feel after 4-6 weeks. After putting it on my Pure Drive Team Plus at 58lb I was on a different world. It has so much feel, control, power and effortless spin. As I don't break syth 18 for 3 months I think this will last for ever...I am sold.
From: Andy Cheng, Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Comments: You need to try this string! It has power, touch, control and feel. The strings do not move at all and it lasts forever. I have used this string for a year and a half and I don't think I could use anything else right now. I am a 5.0 player using a prince nxg graphite oversize.

Comments: Simply sensational. I strung at my regular tension and my racquet (Dunlop 200G HM) never played better. I could really feel the strings bite into the ball like no other string I have ever used before. A new can of balls looked very beat and frayed after 1 hour of play. These strings just don't move! I use a rubber band for a dampener and there was virtually no vibration coming from my racquet. I hope they last, especially for the price. I just ordered three more sets! Best string I ever used!
From: Billy P, Boston, MA, USA. 04/05

Comments: This is probably the worst string I've used. Yes, it generates a lot of spin, but its too powerful for my game. Have it strung at 57 lbs. and need to hold back on my strokes in order to keep it in court.
From: Nuno, Portugal. 04/05

Comments: I had a problem with a lot of string movement and wear leading to breakage. This string is the answer. It doesn't move and provides excellent spin, good feel and comfort. Best news, the ball stays in deep and on sharp angle crosscourt shots. I use a Wilson Six-One 95 racquet strung at 57 lbs.
From: Earl, St. Louis, MO, USA. 03/05

Comments: This string is great. It loses almost no tension even after hitting for hours. This string adds a ton of power to your game without compromising accuracy. You can swing away at the ball and it still lands in the court. I would not recommend the 10% tension drop like they say, lowering the tension 2 or 3 pounds works well. Overall, awesome string!
From: Eric, Raleigh, NC, USA. 03/05

Comments: Tension is the key for this kind of string. Want an advice? Do not drop down the tension as they say. I had my prestige strung at 61/57 with Wilson sensation and went down to 57/53 with ALU power. I couldn't keep a ball in the court... it had so much power I was constantly hitting 5 feet long. This string is so elastic and packs so much power you should string it to your usual tension to appreciate the differences.
From: Alex, Italy. 02/05

Comments: The best string ever produced, you get enough spin, plenty of power and last for ages without losing tension. It is a lot of money but it is worth it.
From: Cory, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 02/05

Comments: I think this string is the best string you can buy. Best control and best power. I advise you to buy this string if you are a hard hitter like me!
From: Paul, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 02/05

Comments: This is a really good string. I made the switch from the BB Original to this one and its added some power and feel to your shots. This string is really durable like the Orig. and hasn't had any sign of tension loss after 2 weeks!! Make the switch to this string!
From: Anthony, Corpus Christi, TX,USA. 02/05

Comments: I am an avid player and I hit very hard with a Western grip and a very full swing. My serve has been clocked many times at 140 mph and I was used to breaking strings every 6 to 10 hours of play no matter what I tried. (I broke a $55.00 Natural Gut string job in less than 1/2 hour of practice serving) It got frustratingly expensive and one of my rackets was always being re-strung. Finally, after trying at least 10 different strings and many different tensions I have found a string I cannot break and doesn't fray or move at all. A pro stringer at the U.S. Open turned me onto this string and I am in heaven. It does not have the feel of many other string but I got used to it. If you are a string breaker you have to try this string. I can go a whole summer of 15 hours a week playing without losing much tension or re-stringing. Thanks Luxilon!
From: John, Chicago, IL, USA. 01/05

Comments: I love it, I love it, I love it! Best string that I have ever used! This string has (INCREDIBLE) power control spin and durability. I love to see myself hit hard and with this racquet I did. I must have been hitting 5mph harder on my forehand. (Playing style: big forehand and bigger serve)
From: Hendrik, Mercer Island, WA, USA. 01/05

Comments: This is the best string I have ever used. You get heaps of control plus power plus durability. The durability is the best thing about this string; I am a hard-hitting player that plays 6 times a week. I have had this string for 3 weeks and it shows no sign of breaking, this string is awesome. It costs a bit of money but it is worth it, you could go through 2-3 re-strings of something else before this breaks. AWESOME.
From: Cory, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA. 12/04

Comments: Comments: This string is awesome! The string feels like I just got it except I stringed it 2 weeks ago. Although you do feel a loss of tension pretty quick, these strings are the best. THEY DON'T MOVE AT ALL! I use a ProStaff tour 90 to.
From: Tony, San Jose, Ca, USA. 11/04

Comments: I love this string! I'm a pretty small kid who plays tennis every day. I look for power in everything I buy and this has it. I used to play with the Babolat conquest, and that would break every week or so. But with this string, I have gone for two months and they show no sign of slowing down. I have so much power and control when I hit now. But this string!
From: Don, Sacramento, California, USA. 10/04