ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I'm a 5.0 level player and finally, this is a real pro tennis racquet without having to doctor it up, or pay hundreds of dollars for a custom frame like the pros use. Heavy, arm friendly, precise, elegant, great plow-through. After playing for 43 years, my tennis has never been better. And I've played with many, many frames and string combos over the years. I have it mated with Typhoon Genesis at 55 lbs. Great from the baseline and at net. Serving is a pleasure. For all you wannabe pros out there, this stick will definitely improve your game.
From: Nick, 2/14

Comments: Recently demoed and then switched to this racquet. I'm a 4.5 player, both singles and doubles, all- courter, like to mix deep topspin with short slices and get to the net. The racquet I have is strung with a full bed of Volkl Cyclone 17 at the bottom of the racquet's tension range and have two more coming with a couple of other full-bed poly setups (Solinco Tour Bite 19 and Signum Pro Tornado 18, also at the low end of the tension range). I have a tendency to play too much within myself, sometimes not swinging as hard as I should, and the heavy weight of the racquet gets the ball deeper on my slower swings than my previous racquets. When I do hit out, it produces an impressively deep, heavy, penetrating ball. Slices stay low and skid through the court. Volleys are my favorite stroke with this stick; it forgives lousy technique on quick reactions, and well- executed punches are nearly guaranteed put-aways. Touch drop-volleys take some adjustment since the racquet's weight tends to push the ball deeper than you intend, but that's a minor gripe. Good serve technique is rewarded with pace and accuracy...my erratic motion generates unpredictable results depending on which aspects of a given serve that I execute properly. Would love for ProKennex to offer this racquet in a version with a more open string pattern. I was using the Wilson Steam 99S prior to the Ki 5 PSE and since I naturally hit heavy topspin, the 16x15 Steam generated spin that was almost unfair and it was a much less comfortable racquet at a little over 11 ounces and 69 or so stiffness rating. If the Ki 5 PSE was offered with its current weight and stiffness specs but in, say, an 18x16 pattern, I would take out a home equity loan and buy 20 of them to use for the rest of my life.
From: Doug, 2/14

Comments: First of all, this racquets weight -- I have 2, one weighed in at 13.0 and the other at 13.1. It does feel heavier in hand than the POG. It also feels more solid on contact than the POG. No vibration, no brassiness on contact. Volleys and slice backhands are really solid and effortless. If one tries this racquet and likes it, you have certainly completed your racquet search. There is not another racquet on the market like it and probably won't be. I am not sure how much the kinetic system contributes to this stick's very solid feel at contact, but I am a fan of it with this racquet.
From: Jon, 1/14

Comments: I wrote one of the first reviews for this racquet (see the 4th posting from the bottom of this section) nearly 9 years ago in March 2005. I have just purchased another 3 frames, making it 18 in total since I started using the PK Ionic 5 PSE. None of the previous frames have broken, I just like to keep them fresh every few years. Fortunately, I do not have any arm problems, it is just simply the best racquet I have ever used. A proper "players" racquet. I string it with Babolat VS Touch Natural Gut at 54 lbs with a Babolat overgrip (raw leather is nice but a bit too harsh).

Comments: I am amazed! I used to play with a light racquet: a Wilson BLX, larger frame. Then my coach told me to change to the ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE in order to better plow through my swing. He told me that this racquet will prevent me to fool around with half swings, dirty little moves. It will force me to be consistent, solid and tough on any opponent. This racquet makes you feel strong and powerful. I can definitely recommend it for any serious player who likes to swing and have fun. I also went for a bigger grip in order to keep it looser in my hand. My serve is twice as fast now.
From: Beat, 1/14

Comments: After a couple of hitting sessions with a demo from TW I placed an order and received two frames. I strung one up with Gosen 17 gauge multi at 58 lbs and set out for the indoor red clay courts at my local club. I very quickly realized that this is the best racquet I have ever hit with. Groundstrokes are penetrating, creating pace is effortless, volleys are hit with ease and serving, when you let the racquet do the work, is amazing. All that being said, the true greatness of this racquet is there is no pressure or vibration on the arm. I recently reinjured my arm and thought I was done this time. Now four weeks later I am hitting pain free thanks to this Pro Kennex racquet. I will most likely go up to 60 lbs with the Gosen, it lost a little tension after hitting for a couple of hours. This racquet is extraordinary!
From: Tim, 12/13

Comments: I have been a ProKennex convert since 1999 with the 5g SMI. For reference I played college tennis, am probably a 5.0 or 5.5. I love those racquets, but when it came time to replace them, I didn't like the Ki5. Tried this one and wow, didn't realize what a difference a heavier stick can make. Give it a couple weeks, you won't pick it up and like it right away (I had to stick with it). I string it fairly tight. It's been a real joy hitting with college level players and seeing them have trouble with the heaviness of the ball. Strengths: increased power, increased spin (noticeably heavier ball), almost same amount of control as the older 5g. Solid! Miss hits are much closer than your intended shot. Serves are awesome! Volleys are solid. Weaknesses: touch shots, one handed back hand slice needs to be set up well, and I find choking up on my volleys is necessary against big hitters. Also the quality control is pretty poor, I have 4 now, and only use 2, because they are so differently weighted.
From: JD, 10/13

Comments: I'm amazed at this racquet! I'm 55 and haven't played for over 20 years. I told myself it was now or never. I bought a Silent Partner Quest ball machine and 140 MicroX tennis balls. I also bought 2 Babolat Aeropro Drive racquets. I went hard at it redeveloping my strokes to the modern way. From the start, I started having wrist problems and slight elbow pains. I was bummed. I bought a wrist support and that helped some but still too much pain to be content. I started reading about the KI 5 and ordered one -- wow! This racquet almost seems to be therapeutic. I'm having no pains whatsoever now. Today I decided to pick up one of the Aerodrives and I liked the way the KI 5 hit way better. I'm a happy camper! I have the KI 5 strung with Prince Premier LT 16 at 53 lbs.

Comments: I developed slight tennis elbow while playtesting the APDGT+, so I went looking for alternatives and after reading all the comments here I decided I wanted to try the PK Ki5 PSE. But in Europe the racquet isn't available anywhere, let alone to test it. So I filled out the contact form on the Pro Kennex homepage and was contacted very quickly and was re-directed to the Pro Kennex contact in my country, who sent me to the European Pro Kennex stock, which had a few new ones laying around! I bought it based on online reviews (thanks all) and I absolutely love it! I think it plays alot like the new Head Youtek Graphene Speed Pro, but with more power and more comfort. I love everything about this racquet, the extra weight did take a little getting used to, but now I wouldn't want to go without. Pro Kennex, please keep making racquets with specifications like the Ki5 PSE for people who want to play some serious tennis with some serious racquets! My NTRP rating is around 5.0+
From: Peter, 6/13

Comments: After testing 13 sticks to find the perfect combination of power and arm friendliness, I found that the 5 PSE is the best choice. If you want to convince yourself, just go to TW Learning Center and search for racquets above 310g (min weight to protect against tennis elbow) and maximum plow through, and you will find only 2 raquets, both from ProKennex, this one and the 5x. 5x is less solid than the 5PSE, but is a bit lighter. However, the PSE is in a league of its own, there is no other stick that can match its dynamic characteristics.
From: Corneliu, 5/13

Comments: Had severe tennis elbow and had to stay away from tennis for six months. At 53 it takes longer to heal with out shots. This racquet allowed me to get back on the court. Sure it's heavy and hard to maneuver up at net but if it's a choice between playing with the beast or the risk of getting injured again with a lighter racquet, I'll take the beast. It took a year of playing with this racquet before my arm was completely healed and I was able to switch to the Blackace 93. The Ki 5 PSE is a must racquet for those recovering from tennis elbow.
From: L, 4/13

Comments: As everyone else has already said, this racquet is pretty amazing. Overall, very good playability, but it really sets itself apart in the comfort department. I half-switched to this from the Prince Exo Tour 100 18x20. I'll stand by the Tour 100 as the best playing racquet I've ever used and I do still choose that first if I need my top game. Problem is that two hours of play with the Tour 100 pretty much puts me out of commission for 3 days due to pretty terrible golfers elbow. I was nothing short of amazed at how I felt after playing with the Ki 5 for the first time. I had some soreness the next day, but it was entirely muscle soreness with zero pain in my elbow. The weight definitely takes some getting used to and you will likely have to flatten out your strokes if you have a more modern game. Maneuverability is the only thing I would knock the Ki 5 PSE on, more of an issue for higher competition doubles with quick exchanges, almost a non-issue in singles. Control is great. Power level is really high, I recommend starting stringing 5 lbs higher than normal. I bought a couple of these without demoing simply based on the arm comfort feedback. If you have severe elbow problems, do the same and just buy one or two. You won't be disappointed. You're game may suffer a little bit, but for me, just being physically able to play tennis for 5+ hours in a weekend is well worth the sacrifice.
From: Dave, 3/13

Comments: After demo'ing all the heaviest racquets that Tennis Warehouse sells, this was the heaviest and best choice for me. I had tennis elbow for a long time hitting with other "name brand" racquets which ended in herniated and compressed discs and upper spinal problems due to overexertion. After 4 months of recovery I realized I needed more mass (flexible sticks is what I used before my injury (50 flex rating). So this racquet ended my search. No vibration, no pain. I actually feel better everytime I play with this stick. It does have a lot of power and the largest sweet spot of any racquet Tennis Warehouse has to offer, but it is HEAVY, so be warned. If you are not an advanced player, you may not be able to handle this racquet. This was the only racquet that I could play with out of all the offerings on the Tennis Warehouse site. Everything else in this weight range had too much vibration for me when doing a full fast swing. I hope this helps people who are searching for a racquet to end their elbow or spinal pain.
From: Rip, 11/12
String type and tension: synthetic gut @ 55 lbs

Comments: Make sure to demo this racquet before you decide to buy it. After hitting a bit with it I realized that it just wasn't what I was looking for, even though I had been hitting with customized Aeropro GT+s that were 12.9 and 13.2. I found this racquet to be very awkward and weirdly balanced. However, despite my disappointment, its lighter cousin, the Ki 5 315, ended my search. Just make sure you play with this racquet before you buy.
From: Milad, 10/12

Comments: This is a great stick. Totally solid for a heavy hitter. As close to a pro racquet as you can get in a stock frame. The KI5 gets you close to a real pro racquet if that is what you want.
From: Rich, 4/12

Comments: Excellent racquet. I used the KProStaff 88 for a few years before trying this so the weight wasn't an issue at all. The key difference (and what made me switch to this racquet) was the incredible comfort of this racquet. I typically play about 5 times a week, and with that kind of a play schedule my shoulder would normally be hurting when I was using the KPS88. Not so with this racquet! It is also a bit more headlight than the KPS88, while still being the same static weight. The result is that you get a KPS88-like racquet that is more maneuverable, bigger sweet spot because of the bigger headsize, but still incredibly rock solid. Awesome racquet!
From: Phil. 3/12
String type and tension: Solinco Tour Bite strung @ 43 pounds

Comments: I played with these rackets to replace my Wilson BLX Tours. This is a great racket! It has more power than the BLX, and I'm able to generate more spin and depth my shots. Also, to the weight, the racket is supreme at net. The weight didn't give me any problems. Another thing that impresses me about these racket is the comfort when hitting the ball. It feels like a luxury car. You hardly feel the impact of the ball. You get a really smooth hit. The only downside would be on touch shots I did find it a bit harder to be precise. After I get use to it, that might get better. Anyways, this one is a keeper. Great racket!
From: Shomari, 2/12

Comments: This racquet does not feel as heavy as its weight would suggest. It actually feels lighter than the PK Redondo Mid or 6.1 tour. I am not a big fan of 100sq heads as I have a OHBH and big string beds tend to be unstable, but this racquet is an exception. The control is very good. Slices are low and penetrating, serves are heavy and I am able to hit very nice drop shots even from the baseline.
From: Petey, USA, 12/11
String type and tension: Bab. Huricane 16g, +60lbs
Headsize:100sq in

Comments: I played with friends yesterday using a demo racquet and I was impressed. It is true that you really need to be a tad earlier in your approach to the ball. In fact, I have to change a little of my technique to do it. No big deal as long as it makes the job done. One of my friends did notice the heaviness of my hits and that confirms my personal observation. I am not "afraid" to return the serve anymore. Comfort is a perfect 10! I am 5' 6" 175 lbs guy who just started learning to play tennis 3 months ago and the weight is not an issue after 3 hours of play. I just do a follow through every time I swing and let the racquet do its work. No joint issues here, which at my age and level of game is the most important factor. I play a Prince O3 silver 118 size, 8.9 oz, 27.5 inches, with Babolat RPM 18g strings set at 50 lbs tension and the vibration is still there. The demo rates far better, hardly any vibrations at all. The grip needs an improvement and I wish there is a 16x18 pattern for this for added spin. A half inch longer also might help my serving reach (at least for me who is short). I will buy.
From: MD, 10/11

Comments: Amazing racquet! But be sure to test it before you buy one. I'm still young and strong but the weight of this racquet starts getting to me after a set or two. Amazing kick on the serve and great control on my shots. As someone here mentioned already this racquet rewards good technique, so if your technique is lacking this might not be the racquet for you.
From: Herman. 6/11

Comments: Wow!!! I demoed more than a hundred tennis rackets and this is my favorite. It is very powerful, has a humongous sweetspot, solid (no vibration), and very, very comfortable.
From: Charles, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 02/11
String type and tension: Wilson Nxt 16g, 55 lbs

Comments: Is this racquet scheduled to be playtested?
(Anon, sorry but there are no plans for a review at this time.--TW Staff)

Comments: I play with a Continental grip on everything. Sometimes I go heavy topspin Eastern on one handed backhand. On all shots that are hit well it provides a good, clean hit that becomes addictive to try and recapture. It's a very pleasing sensation to hit well with this frame. It does not provide as much feel as a more classically spec'd frame, and to me, that it this racquet's only down side. This, I believe is due specifically to the stiffness and beam width. The weight IS there, but you just have to stick it out and get used to it. I think of this racquet as a game improvement racquet because you really have to play well to get it to help you out on the court. No freebies with this one. I think of PSE as meaning: "Prepare Super Early". Keep that in mind and you'll be alright. Someone else on this review mentioned getting two racquets that were not the same length, which drastically affects swing weight. I also had this experience, and have to say that quality control from PK needs to get better. I shaved my longer one down and re-weighted it myself because I liked them, but that was a pain in the you-know-what. There are better frames, but this one is pretty darned good, and in my opinion, quite unique. I've been playing it for a month now, think I'm gonna settle for awhile.
From: Scott, Rochester, NY, USA, 11/10
String type and tension: Prince Syn Gut @ 60

Comments: I jumped around using so many different racquets. As I got better, I needed something heavier. This racquet is heavy but solid. I love it. It will take one or two outings at least to start to get used to the weight but once you do, I don't think there is a better stock racquet.
From: Rich, New York. 09/10
String type and tension: Luxilon big banger

Comments: A very powerful frame. No vibration at all, or torque if you hit in sweetspot area. Great paint job but very low quality of grip. You must be at least a strong 5.0 NTRP with excellent stroke mechanics to see the benefits of this frame. I was hitting with ProKennex KINETIC from 1994 (OS SMI 10G and MP )and still love the stroke quality from a huge bang. PK spending money for technology and saving the player from elbow/shoulder pain. Hard to find all the racquets line in EU.
From: Kostas, Athens, GREECE, 08/10
String type and tension: Wilson 16 60 lbs

Comments: Highly recommend. Ki5 PSE is a great racquet. I found my forehand and backhand are heavier and faster as expected because of the additional weight. I have no problem switching from Ki5 a lighter version. However you have to be ready to handle additional weight. I also bought Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT Tennis Racquet at the same time but does not like it. My forehand often hit long about a feet. Luckily my brother uses this racquet so I gave him as a spare racquet. I really like ProKennex Ki5 PSE racquet a lot because it is great for my arm and elbow. Like other comments, I do not feel any vibration at all. I wonder why hardly any professional using it. Who care, I am happy to have a racquet I love. Tennis Warehouse is the best as always with fast shipping and high quality string services. Good job!!!!!!
From: Eric, New York, NY, USA, 08/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Fluoro 1.23/17 G. @ 58 lbs

Comments: I had used the 5G for 6 years and had no arm problems but I am always ready for a change so when I saw this new but still arm friendly racquet become available I decided to try it even though it is very heavy and all the Pros and my friends said not to get it. I have used it now for 30 days and there is no soreness in my arm because of its weight but getting familiar with it is going to take some time. It is the feel and touch shots that have to be hit quickly that are giving me trouble but the REWARD of such a rare and powerful stick is worth the learning curve and each day is better. It is like no other racquet you will ever hit with but not for every one. I would suggest that you give a good 2 week try but if your arm becomes too weary let it go. I LOVE MINE.
From: DAVE, ORLANDO, FLORIDA, US. 5/10
String type and tension:60 / SENSOR FIBER

Comments: I have played twice now with the Ki PSE and must say that you do feel the extra weight but that I have been playing with the 5g for years and found no problem with the weight of this new racquet. I would not use it for a big match until I am able to become more practiced with it. It is very arm friendly and rewards a good, sound stroke with lots of power on ground or volley or serve for that matter. I would recommend this racquet to anyone who can handle the weight, who wants to fix any arm problems they might have, and who will be patient about learning to play with this heavy racquet because the reward is a solid and good foundation for every stroke.
From: DAVE, ORLANDO, FLORIDA, US. 4/10

Comments: I have been trying for the past year several racquets since I left a long time (years)of not playing Head Microgel Extreme Team,Wilson Kobra FX Team, Kobra Tour, Avery Control, Babolat Pure Storm, AeroProDrive, and after a time I decided to keep a pair of APD and start again training,tournaments etc. After only 2 months of play APD led me to Tennis Elbow. I am, single BH and use semiwestern FH used to play 2 hours daily so with TE that was no longer possible.PK Ki5PSE was the last racquet that I bought and have been playing with it for 3 weeks only and 2 hours 4 days weekly. At first impression it was tiring and difficult to handle but my TE was not complaining as usual. Getting used to manage almost 13 oz may not be like a very immediate goal special if you are not in shape. So my arm muscles started to ache, but my Elbow was OK and that fist night no pain killers necessary. I decided to keep playing with it and TE seems to be more distant every day My arm muscles are growing strength, my baseline strokes are heavy and topspin is bouncing much higher, my serves are incredible, net is great as racquet refuses to back even in heavy strokes. Power is an issue now because I strung it at 55 lbs I think a little higher tension probably 60 lbs may help tone down a bit power and I will enjoy more the stick. Resume: weight helps game, protects arm, PK tech works, don't expect it to vanish all your pain intermediately give it some time it's worth it.
From: Alfonso, Chihuahua, Chih. Mexico 03/10
String type and tension:Gamma TNT Rx 17
NTRP Rating:5.5

Comments: The PSE was recommended to me from a top level senior player in the 65's. After a quick review, there is nothing like the PSE out there. For $150.00 you are getting a huge bang for your buck, LITERALLY! I have never hit a racquet that supplied a ton of power and control all at the same time. The vibration is non-existent, thus increasing the feel of the ball. I hit with 1/2 and 3/8 grip size, and found the smaller 4 3/8 helped with racquet speed a bit, especially on the back-hand side (1 hander). Opponents marvel at the heaviness of my ball, and shake their heads on serves as the ball is all over them. I noticed a huge increase in power from the Prince exo Rebel. The Rebel has great feel, but at a cost. The vibration from any non-ProKennex Ki frame is intense. When you are used to it, you don't notice, but switch to a Ki frame and its magically gone. The technology is real. The weight and balance on the PSE is perfect, dump the ProKennex leather grip, slap a TW exclusive leather grip, Tourna grip and you have the best weapon available.
From: Bludarter, Palm Beach, FL 01/10
String type and tension: Gamma zo tour rough/ Gamma Tnt tour 16 53/52

Comments: I was suffering from tennis elbow for 16 months, and finally had tennis elbow surgery. Upon returning to play my old racquet was still causing pain. Someone suggested I try the Pro Kennex Ki 5 PSE, and it's been a blessing in disguise. I am finally playing pain free. It will take someone 6-8 times of playing with this monster to get used to the extra weight. You must get used to the timing because if you are a little tardy the ball will sail. Great depth and power on serves, and groundstrokes are powerful and deep. The area where I think this sledgehammer shines the most is at the net. Volleys are crisp, powerful, and solid. This racquet has amazingly soft touch, but do not be late or balls will sail long. Returns are very controllable just let the racquet do the work. Overall this racquet performs well in all areas of the court, but especially at the net. Once you get used to the weight just let the racquet perform like it wants. The Pro Kennex Ki 5 PSE is a dance partner that wants to lead, so let it.
From: Ben, Glendale, AZ USA 01/10
String type and tension: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 58lbs

Comments: Hefty hefty hefty, at 12.9 it's one of the heaviest stock stick out there. It also goes through strings like Kobayashi goes through hot dogs, too quickly to enjoy the racquet itself, even with 15l Luxilon xp string it still pops within 2 hours of play. It is also too heavy to have any touch. However, this weight is also awesome for volleys and groundies as it is rock solid through the plow zone and I love how you can feel the ball pancake off the string bed. What this racquet comes down to is if you want a heavy solid racquet this is your racquet but anything more than that and you are asking too much of this stick. Also I am 16, 5 10 and can bench 200lbs and yes this is heavy even for me
From: Cam, USA, 10/09
String type and tension: Luxilon xp 15l @ 58lbs.
NTRP Rating: 4.0-4.5

Comments: Less power than the Federer racquet (more control) + more head light than the new Sampras Wilson racquet (easier topspin) => heavily weighted shots are safer. I switched to this racquet. There is less jarring on impact too so I have been able to switch back to stiffer strings because of this.
From: Pin, Abilene, TX, USA, 09/09
String type and tension: Head Ultra 18g 60lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.0+

Comments: This is my ideal racket. It is able to withstand my stroke without braking. I have broken many rackets, including the Wilson line. I use an Extreme Forehand grip. With some modification of added 25gr (final weight 350gr) and modified 12pt headlight it can produce a wicked hard topspin that can bounce 2 times higher. This is the most comfortable racket that absorb most of the shock, but without sacrificing the feel. Definitely an ideal racket for power player and super top spin lover :D
From: Randi Paugeran, Indonesia 08/09
String type and tension: Hybrid 53/52
Mods : Added Extra 25gr, final weight 350gr . Modified to 12pt Head-Light :D

Comments: I loved the racquet enough to have purchased a second. If you have tennis elbow this racquet can keep you playing. Here's my one complaint - - and I only just recently noticed this - - but the second racquet I bought is dramatically longer than the first. I'm talking about a 1/4 to half an inch difference. Hope ProKennex can do a better job ensuring uniformity. Otherwise, a great racquet.
From: Doug, New York, NY. 4/09
String type and tension: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 gauge

Comments: I have been using the ProKennex 5g types for about 6 years now as I used to have arm, wrist and shoulder problems before with the lighter rackets. I find them just wonderful but you have to make a commitment to them and stay with it until you are used to the weight and lack of unstroked power. This is an honest racket that will give you what you allow it to and it is very arm friendly. I would say to any one who has consistent arm problems to get these rackets and stay there. The initial loss of power will return and you will never have arm problems again, but you must stay with it.
From: DAVE, ORLANDO, FLORIDA. US. 3/09
String type and tension:MIXED, 6O

Comments: I'm an old style serve and volley player and had some trouble with my volleys after about an hour due to the weight. Serving and baseline shots from either wing were great but your mechanics need to be sound. If I didn't spend so much time at the net, I would probably enjoy this racket more.
From: Gus, Melbourne. 2/09
String type and tension: Gosen OG Micro 17 @ 58lbs

Comments: I believe this racquet, and others of similar weight, are not compatible with today's game. If you have moderate swing speed, I suppose you can use a heavy racquet like this to blunt the power and spin of those with bigger strokes. You can also use it to generate good pace of your own, if you let the weight of the stick do its thing. However, it is the rare person, in my opinion, who is strong enough to generate the kind of racquet speed necessary for a broader repertoire of shots with this stick (a kick serve, a nasty top spin lob, sharp angled passing shots, etc.). The majority of top players have abandoned this type of 13 oz. racquet in favor of lighter, stiffer frames with poly strings because the racquet speed is so critical. This racquet has wonderful feel and is a joy to hit with...but it's still like lugging a 4x4 onto the court and I find that very limiting.
From: John, Gainesville, FL. 1/09
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane 18 / 55

Comments: This is a great racket if you don't want to screw with lead tape all the time. I always weigh my rackets with lead to 13.2 oz but this racket is around 13 out of the box; so it saves me all the time applying/weighing/balancing with lead tape on other rackets I have used in the past. If other manufacturers (such as Prince) would make heavier stock rackets I would just stick with them, but since ProKennex is the only new rackets I know of that makes this heavy a racket, I go with Pro Kennex for now. And this racket kills the vibration, saving the player from elbow/bicep/shoulder pain.
From: Don, Oakland, CA, USA, 12/08
String type and tension: Luxilon

Comments: This is the only stock racket weighted and balanced correctly, ready to play serious tennis with straight from the manufacturer. No customization required. Do not try to use this stick unless you are at least a strong 5.0 NTRP level. Excellent stroke mechanics are necessary to see the benefits of this frame. If you are a player capable of good racket head speed, your shots will be very "heavy." I wish more companies would produce these types of rackets instead of that expensive trash they sell to the public. Hope this review helps and have a great day.
From: DB, Nevada. 7/08
String type and tension: Luxilon

Comments: Power and control on serves, groundies and rock solid at the net. The KI5PSE is among the top all- courter racquets you can buy IF you get the racquet back early. (Pretty good idea no matter what racquet you are using!) The weight isn't even noticeable once it's moving forward - except to your opponent! I've played 2.5 hour matches and don't find it tiring at all. In fact, it's easy on the arm, and less fatiguing if you swing properly and let the racquet hit the ball. ON serve and from the backcourt, the weight of shot generated is devastating. That said, late hitters and punchers will not find this one friendly.
From: Fred, Dallas, TX, USA, 06/08
String type and tension: Hybrid VS 16 gut mains, Polyfibre TCS Both at 60lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.0+

Comments: Too heavy a racquet for me. You definitely need to play regularly and have enough strength to control this racquet. Being almost 59 years old, I find this racquet too difficult to control. I can control 12 oz racquets, but I sure could find any range or comfort with this one.
From: David, Nevada. 5/08
String type and tension: 57 Tecnifibre X-One Bi-Phase

Comments: This is solid feeling with absolutely no vibration! As a baseliner I'm able to hit "heavy" shots with little effort. The fit and finish of the KI 5 PSE is spectacular. A must demo for a player with developed strokes.
From: Kirk, Wildwood, Missouri. 3/98
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut 64 pounds
Headsize: 100 sq.in.

Comments: I tested this racquet and it does a lot of things well. It felt GREAT when serving and I enjoyed volleying with it. Do NOT buy this stick without first testing it. I am a big strong guy and I was shocked that I couldn't wield it fittingly. It had its moments but, overall, I always felt like I was nano-second late with my swing. I hope this helps someone.
From: Sunshine, Jacksonville, FL, USA, 09/07

Comments: I recently got a good deal on a lightly used PSE and took it out for some heavy hitting. Like most people, it was a little tough at first, but I settled in. Tough to slice the backhand but aside from that, it rocks. I was blistering forehands and hit some bombs on serve. After 2 hours I did not notice the weight. Racquet is great for blocking the ball back...it doesn't budge. I tried hitting an Babolat Aeropro Drive along side this and it felt like a kid's racquet.
From: Mel, Tampa, FL, USA. 3/07
String type and tension: Hybrid

Comments: The Ki 5 PSE is an excellent frame that swings much lighter than its 13 plus ounces. Comfortable strung with gut mains and ALU crosses (64/61) provides great control without any boardy feel. Great spin on serves.
From: George, Sacramento 06/06

Comments: Another Excellent Prokennex racquet!!. Great amount of power and comfort. I was apprehensive about the weight of the racquet, but though I felt bit tired, I didn't feel any tennis elbow or shoulder pain. The finish is outstanding too. It is worth every cent. I have played with Wilson, head and Babolat, but it is like too much pain and little gain. Now I can't imagine how I played with the other racquets. Prokennex is just AWESOME!!
From: Balaji, Tampa, FL, U.S.A. 04/06
String type and tension: Yonex Super 850 @ 55lbs
Headsize: 100sqin

Comments: I demo'd the Federer racquet, the Prince Classic, and this one. Federer's has the best power, the Prince has the best spin off a second serve and this one has the best overall comfort and control for all the shots. It's the perfect doubles racquet for old guys who want to play with control and finesse and hit more big second serves than first serves. Very easy on the shoulder and elbow!
From: Dan, Phoenix, Arizona USA
String type and tension: Ashaway Dynamite 17 @ 52lbs.

Comments: Imagine a 5g PSE with a much larger sweetspot, no vibration (is this possible?), a more-appealing paint job, and more power. This is what the Ki 5 PSE is like. I'd take all of the above, except the additional power. If ProKennex could reduce the power of this racquet (maybe they could shave a little off the beam?), they would have the best players racquet money could buy - bar none. Until then, string this racquet at the higher end of the scale with gut or a soft synthetic string.
From:Rich, New York, NY, USA 06/05
String type:Luxilon Big Banger Ace @63 lbs.
NTRP Rating:5.0

Comments: A very solid powerful frame. I was previously using a 5g racquet modified with 12 grams of lead. It is the best racquet I have ever used. Getting used to the weight is not that difficult. You do not need to be physically very strong especially with a half-decent technique playing with the hips first. Playing with a light racquet now would seem like trying to crack an egg with a feather.
From: Mark Carlisle, London, United Kingdom. 03/05
String type and tension: Bow Brand Natural Gut @ 54 lbs.

Comments: A better 5g PSE. Swings easier but keeps all the benefits of the 5g PSE: stable, decent power, good control, good spin generation, comfortable, and you can use them as maracas!
From: Simon, San Francisco, CA, USA. 03/05
String type and tension: Gamma TNT @ 61lbs.

Comments: Right from the box, you know this racquet is different from the rest. The weight of this stick takes a little getting used to, but once you do, the smoothness and stability of this racquet are intoxicating. Control and power come easily. Volleys are "like butter." No vibration or torque. Bring your best stroke mechanics because you can't fake it with this racquet. Good players will be well rewarded!
From: Mike 4.5, Bondville, VT, USA. 01/05
String type and tension: Wilson NXT Tour 62 lbs.

Comments: The Ki 5 PSE improves on the 5 g's one fault (not enough weight). Solid, heavy shots are produced from any ball hit on the string bed without head twist. Control is excellent. Volleys are crisp and penetrating. Serves can be hit with power, spin and placement. I played with a Pro Staff 6.0 85 Pro Staff for over 15 years until I hurt my shoulder and then switched 3 years ago to the 5 g which helped my shoulder a lot but something was missing. This is a heavy racquet and takes some getting use to but the rewards are great if you can handle it.
From: Charles, New Orleans, LA, USA. 10/04
String type and tension: Wilson NXT Tour 17 @ 65lbs.

ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE Racquets - Where to go from here