ProKennex Ionic Ki 15 PSE Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I started having so much trouble and pain in my arm and shoulder after using Babolat racquets so I launched a search for a new racquet with the help of a pro tour player who also makes custom racquets for players. He knew my game and my problems and immediately suggested I try this racquet, along with a couple other "arm friendly" options. I have long swings and generate my own power - a singles baseliner. I tried many, many racquets in this category, and kept putting them down and picking this one back up. It is great for baseliners, allows you to hit those deep balls with power. It did not help my already weak net game though. It seems that this racquet has a very small sweet spot and off center hits are unforgiving. But when you hit that sweet spot -- look out! I have played with this racquet for 3 years now and have no arm or shoulder trouble. I use a soft string, strung at 58 lbs or less and must use a worm. The only negative I can report is that during tournament play where you are playing for hours and hours each day, I do get some arm fatique because the racquet is on the heavy side BUT I am a small woman so maybe that is more the issue than the racquet. I love this racquet!!
From: Raine, 12/14

Comments: This racquet passes the "Goldilock's Test" -- not too stiff, not too light, solid/stable feel without the tennis elbow problems. Before, I loved my '13 Aeropro Drive GT+ but it did not love me! It's safe to say that I'm officially done with lighter, stifffer racquets which only results in Tennis Elbow (which is not good for a dentist like me). I chose the Ki15 PSE over the lighter Ki15 because the added weight created more plow through thus a heavier hit ball. I'll be ordering a couple strung with natural gut at mid tension. This one is a keeper.
From: Larry, 2/14

Comments: After trying way too many stiff light weight modern racquets, none of which I really liked, I read the reviews on this racquet and decided give it a try. I received the demo from TW yesterday and hit with the racquet on an indoor red clay court for almost 2 hours. I should also say I have been suffering with wrist, elbow and shoulder pain for the last six months. After 15 minutes of hitting I absolutely fell in love with this racquet. It does take a little while to get used to the weight, after that the control feel and power are amazing. Volleys are crisp and solid, passing shots accurate and off the ground my shots where very penetrating. Since I did not have any pain while hitting I served for about 10 or 15 minutes and was more than amazed at the power I had serving with this racquet. I am ordering a couple of sticks today and can't wait to get them strung to my specs and get back on the court!
From: Tim, 12/13

Comments: This racquet is a dream come true for me. To me, this is perfect for both serves and handling good returns. I have added a little (2 inches total) lead tape to the butt to give it a little more heft. I string mine with Weiss Cannon TurboTwist 17L at 52 Lbs.
From: Balaji, 6/13

Comments: For those who still believe that lighter sticks are better for tennis elbow than heavier ones, PK 5 PSE should convince them of the opposite. I have tried lighter sticks (Yonex Ezone Xi was great for forehands but created problems for the elbow on backhands, Babolat Pure Drive GT was too rigid of a frame and gave vibrations to the arm, Prince Exo Tour was too flexible , Wilson Cierzo was very powerful but too rigid). ProKennex is in a category of its own, the undisputed leader in elbow friendliness. It cured my elbow problem, it has great power and control, the only issue is that it is more difficult to create spin than other frames, so you should use a more spin friendly string like Kirschbaum. PK5 PSE is also more comforable for the arm than PK15 PSE, although this one is a good frame too. Thank you PK, your specialization as being an elbow specialist is paying off.
From: Corneliu
String type and tension: Natural Gut at 50 lbs

Comments: I've been demoing ProKennez racquets the last month (almost every racquet 4 at a time) because I'm searching for a racquet that can help me get through my golfer's elbow (tennis elbow but in the inner arm). I was very impressed with the Ionic Ki 5 315 and was going get it but decided to wait until I try one more batch of PK demos because I really wanted to like the old school Black Ace which are very flexible. Within this next group of racquets I came across the Ki 15 PSE which blew my mind away. It is so plush on the elbow, and powerful but enough to lose control when you swing all out. ProKennex racquets are truly a unique brand that I'm so glad to discover. I'm a 42yr old, 5.0 rated, once upon a time junior and college player that's still trying to hit a mean ball. Thanks PK and I hope you guys stick around cause I'm ordering 2 of these sticks.
From: MS, 10/12
String type and tension: Babolat XCel 48lbs

Comments: After developing golfer's elbow playing with a Wilson BLX Pro Open (beautiful stick nevertheless), I decided to give Kinetic technology a try. Here in Italy a similar version, the Ki15 300 grams, is available, so I was playing with this one two months ago, initially with a very low stringing weight (less than 20 kg) and now, after the elbow pain is almost gone, with a tension of 23 kg which is for me the best compromise between power and control for this stick. And guess what? I am now playing with the same effectiveness of the Pro Open ... Furthermore, serves and volleys have improved due to its excellent maneuverability.
From: Tiziano, 7/12
String type and tension: Head FXP @ 51 lbs

Comments: @ Virgil I have been using this racquet since early summer 2011 and love it. My string of choice for the past 2 years has been Weiss CANNON TurboTwist 17L at 52 Lbs. Give it a try you'll be surprised with this string.
From: Jay, 3/12

Comments: Finally I could say there will not be any more demo for new racquets at least for a while ( I have demoed more than 25 racquets, and bought 10 to play with strings setup in the last year). KI 15 PSE is the best compromise I could find: power, control, maneuverability, hand friendly...Still working to find the right strings setup so far using RIP 16 at58.5lbs.
From: Virgil, 3/12

Comments: I bought this racket after an impressive demo experience. Now I am even beyond impressed I just went 68 lbs on my string tension and added some lead to go as high as 12.5 but I never developed post game elbow pain. The racket's technology indeed work. Now my ground strokes are more controlled and heavy. My friends who played with me even commented that I am "possessed". Now that is a new one ...
From: Marc, 2/12

Comments: I played with a demo twice with friends and finally decided this will be my racquet for good. I am a 43 year old, 5'6", 173 lbs musician who started playing tennis just 4 months ago who used a Prince O3 Silver (118 square inch headsize, 8.9 oz, 27.5 length) with Babolat RPM 17 at 50 lbs. I developed a moderate tennis elbow despite of the specs of my old racquet (probably due to some issue with form ), but a demo of a ProKennex Ionic Ki 15 PSE removed the nagging pain ( with "bad" form and all) within a week of playing. The 12.9 ounce racquet gives me a little concern on long term usage though so I tried its lighter sibling, the ProKennex Ionic 15 PSE. That was one of my best decision for 2011! My serve was heavier (I jump serve even at this early period of my learning). I am not "afraid" to return higher rating player's serves anymore. My forehand improved with better spin and speed. My two-handed backhand is even better. I could even volley direct projectile thrown at me with minimal vibration and hardly any twisting at all (this is important to me, since I play the net better than at baseline). So with this long comment, it is of no surprise that I just ordered this racquet at Tennis Warehouse. It will arrived tomorrow and I feel like a little boy looking forward for Christmas morning again!
From: PJD, 11/11

Comments: Over the past several months, I have demoed around 16 racquets by various manufacturers, including Yonex, Prince, Pacific and Volkl. I even purchased a Yonex S-1 Fit and returned it within a few days after receiving it because it caused my shoulder to flare up. The Ki15 outshines them all by a wide margin. I completely agree with all of the positive sentiments expressed in the other customer reviews about this racquet. This is one awesome stick!
String type and tension: Luxilon Monotec Supersense 16L

Comments: This racquet is the perfect combination of control, forgiveness and power. I am in my late forties looking for a racquet that would give me more power/bite on ball along with being easier are the arm. First, I looked at lighter weight(under 11 oz)frames Head Mojo, Head LiquidMetal 4, Prince Warrior, Boris Becker V1 and even ProKennex PSE 20. I found myself not getting any extra power or bite. I almost did not even pick up PSE 15 because of weight but I did during match play. Wow! I started hitting consistent harder shots from first swing and with out a thought I was making all kinds of shots. It has such a plush feel and it almost feels automatic on control. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a game improvement racquet with all the ability of a players racquet.
From: Rich, 10/11

Comments: This is a great racquet. It's much more stable than the ki5, but not too heavy like the ki5 PSE. The head feels like a midplus, which makes it super to serve with. As a one handed player I really like the short grip. Oh yeah, it's very elbow-friendly too.
From: James. 06/11
String type and tension: Prince Premiere 60

Comments: My old friend is back in my hand again. Had one about 18 months past and don't know why I sold it. I have been playing with a Boris Becker Legend. It hit's a beautiful ball but, in the world of being 63 and getting out of trouble under stress it is too demanding.
The PK keeps you in the point with, a fluid stroke delivering depth and pace. Pick your shot and, put away power is at your command. Volleys are it's outstanding feature. It is a racquet that let's you scrape out of trouble with ease.
One thing is that it came in 10grms over specs. My first PSE 15 was the same. Just wish they were a little closer to spec. Mine weighs 12.15 with overgrip and dampener.
From: Joe, Australia, 03/11
String type and tension: Head Intellitour

Comments: In my late 40s, I found it harder and harder to keep up with guys in their 20s and 30s who hit the ball "a ton". I thought, at first, to go with a lighter more flexible racquet -- I used a PK Ki5 for a few years; that racquet had excellent feel and great control, it allowed me to be more aggressive on court, but I lost a fair amount of pop. When I turned 53, I decided to go the opposite approach, a heavier and slightly stiffer weapon; I went with the Ki5 PSE. I've had it now for a couple months and it's working really well. Yeah, it takes some effort to move that thing, so I've shortened up on my swing a bit especially against big hitters, so I've lost some topspin on my groundies, but the slice works great; the ball stays very low; some bite and pop has returned to the serve; control is great; the racquet is so heavy it pretty much follows through on its own. I pick my spots a little more cautiously now, but I can still drive the ball when the opportunity arises. The Ki5 PSE has made me a more patient player. It comes with age ... finally. Finding it hard to hit against the kids? Try the Ki5 PSE.
From: Ed, Lakewood, CA, USA, 02/11
String type and tension: Gamma Asterisk Spin
NTRP Rating: Slipping from 5.0

Comments: Just demoed this racquet and was very disappointed. It's very hard to slice with from the backhand side. I thought I was getting a player's racquet but felt it was way to powerful and no control. It was very easy and comfortable to play with. I would not recommend for a grinder like myself that likes to drive forehands and slice a lot.
From: Mike, North Palm Beach, Florida, USA. 11/10

Comments: If Nadal used this racquet, it would be a best seller. It is a more comfortable, solid, AeroDrive/Pure Drive. The headsize is more of a 102-103 rather than the Kennex listed 105. Kennex uses a different measuring system than most manufacturers. All their sticks are slightly smaller headsize than listed.
From: Stroke (TW Message Board), GA, USA, 09/10
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Spiky Shark

Comments: Maybe the best compromise racquet ever built, and I mean that as very high praise. A compromise for someone who wants great plow and stability but can't handle 12+ ounces. A compromise for someone who wants midplus precision and serving prowess but also wants the forgiveness of an oversize. A compromise for someone who wants the firmness that today's big game demands, but wants some comfort and joint protection. Compromise here is a very high compliment.
From: Paul, Reading, PA, USA, 07/10
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Spiky Shark

Comments: I developed a terrible case of tennis elbow from playing with a light racquet. Switching to a heavier racquet helped a little; however, it wasn't until I starting using the Ki5 PSE that my elbow cleared up completely. I agree with all the positive comments made by previous reviewers: very arm friendly; good power, control, and comfort; racquet refuses to budge versus hard shots; easy to use at the net.
From: Dan, Altoona, PA, USA. 07/10
String type and tension: Gamma Asterisk Tour 17, 54 lbs.

Comments: WOW! What a racquet! If you can handle the weight and have good technique then you will be rewarded with solid shots and go up .5 ntrp rating in a week. There's solid penetrating feel, excellent spin production, and confidence in your shots are all part of the package with this stick. Weight may be the only issue. I have 3 since I go through strings quickly with this powerhouse stick. It's really fun to play with this racquet. It's great at serves, volleys, backcourt shots, and is very precise.
From: Joe, Staten Island, NY, USA. 05/10
String type and tension: Prince hybrid 18/17 m60 c64

Comments: By far best racquet I have played with (tried 20 before) no more tennis elbow. Great return of serve and volleys. Groundstrokes all with plenty of heaviness and control. Solid shots and elevated my game a great deal. Heavy but if you can handle it it's worth it. Not for the faint of heart.
From: pino, ny ny. Usa. 5/10
String type and tension: Prince 18 M 58. Softflex cross 64

Comments: I recently demoed 4 rackets simultaneously from Tennis Warehouse. Prince EXO3 Red, Head Microgel Extreme Team, Babolat Aeropro Drive and Pro Kennex Ki 15 PSE. I personally found the winner to be Pro Kennex. This racquet is phenomenal, it has great power, decent spin and is excellent on the arm. There is simply no vibration even on the hardest shots but there still is a good feel. I found it more effective in hitting flat angled shot as compared to top spins. The volleys are simply superb. I was able to hit back great controlled volleys exactly where I wanted even on my opponents most powerful shots.
I play single handed backhand and did not have any problems in maneuvering the racket. The shots were crisp and flat. Just one observation and it could more likely be my lack of skills. I was not able to generate appreciable spin from the racket. Especially when I hit hard through the ball. But I think as I play more with it I will discover I can do a lot more with it.
This is probably one of the most under appreciated (and under priced) rackets I have played with. I would highly recommend this racket. It is truly a players racket.
From: Satya, Sunnyvale, CA 11/09

Comments: Well thought out racquet. The 105 head size is about right. Not to big to be a hindrance. I am getting great depth of shot and enough power with spin to be very happy. I really feel that as I use this racquet it will show me more of its benefits. I have only played with it once and feel i will discover it has a lot more to offer. It does feel head heavy but I had no problems with volleys. I felt it was actually quite good at net. The weight came in at 326 grams. With dampener & overgrip it is 340 grams. This is a very good weight for an advanced racquet. I would say the sweet spot is small but with a 105 head that is no problem. I put Klip Excellerator in at 55 lbs. It is one of the racquets that the string quality does not seem to shine through. I have had this happen with other racquets. Head microgel extreme & a Rossignol I had. It doesn't mean they don't play well it just seems the quality string benefits are not as pronounced.
From: Joe, Australia 11/09
String type and tension: Klip Excellerator

Comments: Just bought two Ki15 PSE's, put some Signum PPP @ 60Lbs, and couldn't be more pleased. Power with control, after I got used, I was able to hit flat bomb serves without problem, as well kick serves. Spin is amazing, as I played with 18x20 before. The 105 head actually is more close to 100, does not appear to be 105.
From: Hugo, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil. 8/09
String type and tension: Signum PPP @60Lbs

Comments: I have finally gotten used to the Ki15 PSE after a few weeks. I strung it all the way up to 68 lbs. I have changed my technique to closing the racquet at the last moment after hitting the ball and my shots now stay in court. I demoed the Prince Speedport Pro White - this racquet gave me tennis elbow from swinging way too early and it's not heavy enough (because of the weight distribution) to hit the ball solidly. I really appreciate the KI15 PSE now, which really plows through the ball and gives a solid hit. Volleys are exceptional. My backhand slice is very good now. I will be purchasing another one so I will have two for playing tournaments.
From: Richie,Trinidad. 3/09
String type and tension: Prince Duraflex 16 (68 lbs)

Comments: I got a bad case of tennis elbow from using polyester strings primarily to save on stringing costs (heavy topspin had me stringing non-polyester strings every 3-4 days). Even when I returned to softer arm friendly strings plus Physical Therapy sessions, the pain from my tennis elbow would not go away and I would have to ice my arm after playing. After reading about how ProKennex makes tennis elbow friendly rackets, I decided to ditch my head heavy Wilson 110 5.3 Hyper Hammers which I have been using for over 8 years in favor of the Ki15 PSE. After several months of using the Ki15 PSE, the tennis elbow is gone and I'm playing better tennis than ever. The Ki15 PSE at 105 sq inches and with a tension of 60lbs, generates plenty of controllable power and spin. I'm not one who normally shares his opinion on things but I think my own personal experience may benefit other tennis elbow sufferers. Pain is not a part of tennis and "no pain, no gain" is a mantra that should solely be confined to a gym.
From: Joel, NJ, USA. 2/09
String type and tension: Klipper Pearl-Zone 16, 60lbs

Comments:I searched through a lot of racquets before I came upon the ProKennex Ionic Ki 15 PSE. It was either that or the Prince O3 white Pro 100sqin. I noticed that the Ki 15 PSE racquet feels more heavy in the head for a headlight racquet. This makes the racquet less maneuverable, hence my problems with serving and backhand slice. Groundstrokes with topspin flies off the racquet pretty well. The racquet is not forgiving if your stroke technique is not correct; the ball tends to fly long. Volleys are good with the power the racquet supplies, but the placement is a problem. The soft muted feel was not a problem and the racquet is easy on the elbow and the arm as the weight distribution prevents you from swinging too early, which causes tennis elbow in my case. It's not a bad racquet, but it's not great either. I play with a one-handed backhand, and 75% of the time I hit backhand slice and the rest backhand drive. I like the 105 sq in head, which is just big enough to prevent mis-hitting. I will string it at 4 lbs higher and give it another go. I previously used the Prince original graphite 107. I also used the Wilson Nemesis 110, which is discontinued, but one of the best playing 'power' racquets I've used. I will be ordering the Prince O3 White and the Prince Thundercloud to see how they compare. It's difficult these days to get a 100 plus sq in racquet with medium power for a moderate stroke technique, between 11-12 oz, and is more even balanced with a solid feel. I'm still looking.
From: Richie, Trinidad & Tobago. 12/08
String type and tension: Gamma Syn. Gut 16; 62 lbs
Headsize: 105 sqin

Comments: After developing pretty bad tennis elbow I tried several racquets with various forms of vibration/shock control. All were too powerful but this one. I can keep a fluid swing and not overhit; serves, volleys, and groundstrokes all do well. As for the elbow, it's not a problem anymore.
From: Chuck, Baltimore, MD, USA. 7/08
String type and tension: Gamma Gut 17ga

Comments: This racquet answers the question: What if you combined the weight of a player stick with the head, beam, and stiffness of a tweener? The Ki-15 PSE is the only stick like that I know of. Supremely comfortable and stable, it's got the mass for killer power, too. As expected, it's not razor-quick at the net, but not bad. Wicked slice. Enough touch to throw up nice topspin lobs. Never pushed around on service returns. Unfortunate that PK doesn't apparently doesn't have a player endorsement for it.
From: Martin, Huntsville, AL, USA, 02/08
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Code Red 17 x Wilson Sensation 17

Comments: I gave this racquet another go-around with a low power poly (Klip K-Boom) to help moderate the power, and I couldn't be more pleased. No problem keeping the ball in play, even on mid-court drive approach shots. Terrific power, lots of spin, as stable a racquet as I've ever used, no problems with control. Really sticks the volleys, serves and groundies are heavy with lots of jump when they bounce. I'm keeping everything phenomenally deep, yet in the court. Typically PK, comfort is good despite a relatively high stiffness rating. Swing weight is not low (326, like the POG of a few years ago) but one adjusts, and the static weight of 11.5 means it's not too tough to maneuver. A great racquet flying under the radar.
From: Mike, Montclair, NJ. 12/06
String type and tension: Klip K-Boom 60 @ lbs

Comments: After demoing this racquet during a high school tennis match, I fell in love with it right away. This racquet has an awesome feel with tons of power. If you are a hard hitting baseline player you will love this racquet. The only problem I found with this racquet is that you will spend more money in one summer restringing it than what the racquet cost. I've never had this problem before but I've changed my game a little bit and for some reason the racquet just doesn't seem to keep up anymore. All in all this is a good racquet, if you are a person that isn't all about the power shot you shouldn't have to worry about breaking strings on this racquet. I do love how this racquet feels compared to most racquets unfortunately I can't afford to keep restringing it all the time so I have to give it up.
From: Zach, Wisconsin, USA. 10/06

Comments: After a long research, demoing a whole bunch of racquets & dealing through several months of tennis elbow and shoulder pain, almost to the point of quitting, I found the solution to all my tennis problems: the Prokennex Ki 15 PSE. This stick behaves like a player's racquet but minimizes vibration to obtain a total comfortable hitting. Thanks to the scientists who developed the patented ionic Technology that Prokennex has used in this racquet. Excellent spin, control & power blended in to fit ALL type of players. Give it a try! You won't regret it.
From: Elkin, Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA. 9/05
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16 @ 64lbs.

Comments:After a long research, demoing a whole bunch of rackets & dealing through several months of tennis elbow and shoulder pain, almost to the point of quitting playing, I found the solution to all my tennis problems: the Prokennex Ki 15 PSE. This stick behaves like a player's racket but minimizes vibration to obtain a total comfortable hitting. Thanks to the scientists who developed the patented ionic Technology that Prokennex has used in this racket. Excellent spin, control & power blended in to fit ALL type of players. Give it a try! You won't regret it. There's a Ki for you 4 sure.
From: Elkin, Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA. 9/05
String type and tension: Wilson sensation 16, 64lbs

Comments: This racquet can be summed up in one word, "comfortable". If you are high level player who has wrist problems (tendentious) or tennis elbow, I would definitely recommend this racquet, hands down. For 4.5 NTRP players and up, high string tension is a must.
From: Alan, Vallejo, CA, USA 9/05 String type and tension: Gosen JC OG Sheep 16g @ 64lbs Headsize:100sq in NTRP Rating: 4.5

Comments: I didn't get the balance of this one right away, coming from much more headlight racquets, so I put a leather grip on it to shift the balance a bit and firm it up, and now I've switched to this racquet. I was drawn to it by the specs (nice manageable weight, just a bit longer and larger than most players' racquets) and was impressed by the power, spin potential (unusually open string pattern) and surprising comfort for a not-so-flexi racquet. The only real drawback is that the power can make approach-drives from well inside the baseline a little risky, but stringing with a thin gauge poly (for spin and predictability) helped a lot. It's maybe the only relatively powerful racquet I've used that is fun to volley with. Serves very well. A real impact frame, but late swingers may be climbing the fence to retrieve their ball. If you set up quickly and well, it's a ball to play with.
From: Gene, Houston, TX, USA. 8/05

Comments: This is an exceptionally comfortable racquet first and foremost, effortless power, good topspin, a little tougher to generate biting slice, perhaps because the racquet feels somehow a little head-heavy. It felt less maneuverable than I had hoped it might and seems like a stick for players who spend most of their time at the baseline with occasional venturing to the net. Not quite agile enough for fast doubles. A moderate swing generates a lot of pace.
From: Mike, Montclair, NJ, USA. 10/04