Head YOUTEK Radical Midplus Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I love this racquet. I have 2. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's well worth it. It has superior control and you can get all the pace that you need if you string it accordingly and have good technique. It is particular though because it has a small headsize. If you practice with it you will get better at hitting the sweet spot, and with 17 gauge strings the thing hits so well. I like the control it offers, the medium/light weight that works with moderate or fast racquet head speed. It also offers good spin, it's good on volleys, and is just a good all court stick with great feel and balance. However, it's not forgiving for off- center shots, and it's not powerful unless you are advanced player with good racquet head speed. You must have a good grip on it to prevent twisting, and it has a "small-ish" sweet spot.
From: Flip, 10/12
String type: Dunlop Black Widow mains / Prince Premier crosses

Comments: I used for 2 years the Wilson BLX Six.One Tour, but my arm can't take it anymore. So I need to change a little bit the style of racquet. The change was not very difficult, but some adjustments had to be made, because the Wilson is a very solid racquet comparing with the HeaD Youtek Radical MP, but nothing that a couple days of adapting to solved. Actually, the Head Radical MP is not so much arm friendly, so that my arm was still hurting after a weekend playing. I'm considering changing racquets again or change string and decrease tension. Overall, this racquet is not recommended for beginners or players that are looking for more powerful strokes. It gives you power and control, but low power and medium control.
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane 17g @ 60 lbs

Comments: I only had a hit for a few minutes with this. Definitely not for me. Way too light and unstable. Without a dampaner I found it terrible. I suggest you demo it before you buy it.
From: Yoram, 7/12
String type and tension: Prince Premier @ 57 lbs

Comments: No racquet can fit everyones game. I played with this for 3 years and loved I -- most of the time. What I loved was the low powered control and maneuverability. Topspin was there if I swung fast, which I always do, so there was no problem. Stability wise it was lacking a little. The reason I am switching to a different racquet is because I got tired of how unstable it is. I put lead tape on it, but in the long run, it just didnt work out. BUT MAN, DO I LOVE THE LOW POWERED CONTROL! That combined with the whipiness was perfect. I feel like I can put the ball wherever I want and I feel confident with this racquet when going for angles. I will be switchng to the prestige mid or pro (havent decided yet) for the better stability but it still has a similar feeling. Also some extra power is in the prestige, but not too much.
From: Steven, 6/12
Headsize: 93 to 98

Comments: This is one of my favorite racquets I have ever hot with. The pros were that it had great control and and was easy to whip around and generate spin. The only con was the power. This racquet could have hemisphere from a 16/19 string pattern. But overall a great racquet.
From: Jonathan, 5/12
String type and tension:Synthetic Gut, 60lbs

Comments: This is a great racquet! I have used it for over a year and I really like it. The control is outstanding, tremendous access to spin, and power for passing shots. The serve was decent on this racquet but I could really place the ball where ever I so pleased. When volleying I had the choice to hit a put away or a low slice drop. Definitely worth a demo.
From: Collin, 5/12
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro 16, 58 lbs

Comments: This is the best racquet I have ever had. It feels great when you hit the ball and the control is fantastic. I am an all-court player and I could hit good groundstrokes, volleys and serves with this. I'm definitely keeping this for a long time!
String type and tension: Signum Pro Poly 1.23 at 54 lbs

Comments: I used to play with Head Prestige MP for over two years. Great racquet. Wanted another racquet. Also developed some elbow problems. Other than being sure to stick with Head and 98 frame size, I wasn't sure which one to opt for. So, finally I decided to try the Youtek Radical MP. Strung with Gamma Hybrid 16 gauge at 57lbs. Somehow don't seem to get the same control and power as from my Prestige. I have a 'whip' forehand and that along with my down the line backhand seem to have suffered. On inside out forehands too I can't seem to generate enough dept. I realized the beam was thicker than the Prestige. I also have Gamma Asterik n Gamma TNT both 16 gauge.
From: Razia, 2/12

Comments: I really wanted a racket that would give me deeper shots that wouldn't sacrifice spin and control. It's definitely the perfect racket for me. I play with a lot of spin, and I'm primarily a base-liner, although I do come up to the net occasionally. My serves were deep and on point, as opposed to my serves with the K Zen (my previous racket). It may seem stiff at first, but you just have to break it in. I'd suggest you demo it for a couple days.
From: Jeremy, VA, USA, 12/11
String type and tension: Head IntelliString, 57lbs

Comments: I submitted a comment back in 2009, and two years later I find myself owning three Youtek Radical MP. Three, without any vibration, three in stock form heavier than 295 g unstrung (305, 306 and 298 grams). For those just demoing this racquet for a few hours, you may not like it. Like some of the previous versions, it gets time to get used to, to find suitable string, tension and adapt your strokes. At first it seemed unstable and stiff (compared to the Liquidmetal FXP Radical MP). I have them now strung with Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.28 mm at 45 lbs average and they play incredibly well after a few months of stroke adjustments. And if not already understood, this racquet deserves time to get used to. The only required aspect is to bring your own power and footwork. And then you get precision, spin and feel.
From: Sebastien, 11/11
String type and tension: Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.28 45lbs

Comments: I came from using a much heavier Wilson Six.One 95. When I started using this racquet, I really didn't like it. It seemed very light and very unstable. After playing with it for a couple of weeks, I really started to actually like it. It is a racquet you really need to warm up to.
From: Jonathan, 10/11
String type and tension: Mains: Sonic Pro Crosses: FXP Power at 55 lbs

Comments: Coming from a YOUTEK Speed MP I was already used to the feel of a Head racquet. I was looking for a control racquet however in a slightly lighter weight, more flexible and a 98 square inch headsize for coaching sessions. This frame definitely is the one that shines! This is not a racquet for those who do not generate their own power, but with full strokes this frame will provide an easy on the arm feel of pin-point accuracy! Whatever you put into your shot it will go exactly where you aim for. I can see for many higher level players in stock from the racquet may be a little light, however for an 11 ounce racquet the stability is spot on in my opinion. It's still maneuverable to just swing away however the 2 points headlight balance and swingweight seems to make it feel very stable. On serve, it does take a little getting used to, however as I say if you can bring your own power it will not harm your speed of serve. It brings more control for me when serving. For an 18x20 string pattern, spin is quite easy to produce, definitely more so than most other smaller sized 18x20 racquets that I have played with. All in all, the Radical is a great control racquet for 3.5 to 5.0 players in my opinion who can bring their own power seeking great control. More advanced players may need lead tape however I don't believe this will ruin the quality of the frame, as it has a lot to offer.
From: Adam, 9/11
String type and tension: Signum pro tornado 1.23 17L mains (60)/Tecnifibre NRG2 17L crosses (58)
NTRP Rating: 4.0-4.5

Comments: I finally found a good racquet! I've been searching for one for some time when a friend of mine gave me a Liquid Metal Radical MP. Playing with it felt great, especially this "metallic" touch, very tough and solid for great control. So I bought the current Youtek version and it feels slightly different, also because of the different string and tension. Still I have good feel and control and when I am behind the baseline I can hit with almost full swing and force and the ball will still drop into the field as long as I put on some topspin. So if you are looking for a racquet with lots of additional power, this is not the right choice, it's more for control and stability. That's why I like it, the racquet only does what you put into the swing, nothing else. I still might put on some extra lead weights since it does feel a bit too light, especially after I tested the Volkl Organix 10 with 325g un-strung weight.
From: Daniel, 811
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Pro Line II, 27kg

Comments: After hitting with the Head Prestige MP, Prestige Pro, Radical Pro, and Radical MP (all Youtek), I came to a conclusion the Radical MP was my favorite. It has a very crisp way of hitting and very rarely leaves me with a bad miss-hit. Serving, I don't think I've ever hit better. Groundstrokes, great power with pinpoint accuracy. Just all around a great racquet. One thing I noticed was that I started to prefer having a shock absorber on this racquet. Usually I like being able to feel myself making contact, but for whatever reason, I now prefer it with a dampener. The Head Youtek Radical MP is a must get!
From: Brendan, 8/11
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic gut 18 (black) at 62 lbs

Comments: For those of you Radical 18 x 20 owners who feel they are not getting enough spin, try an 18-gauge string. I just switched from Alu Power Rough (16) to Big Banger Timo (18) and it did wonders! I am now spinning my shots like when I had my APD GT, but with heaps' more control.
From: D.H. 7/11
String type and tension: Big Banger Timo 18 @ 58 lbs

Comments: I have been playing with Youtek Radical MP for a month, after having played with Youtek Prestige MP and Youtek Prestige Pro for the past year. In my opinion, the Radical MP combines the best attributes of the Prestige MP and Pro - excellent pace and control on groundstrokes, yet one can dial in topspin and wicked slice when needed! Volleys are crisp and have weight, and serves come with a respectable amount of spin and control as well. The Radical's spec weight is deceptive; the racquet is as stable as the restige and other heavier rackets I've tried like the Volkl Powerbridge 10, yet at the same time more maneuverable.
From: D.H, Hong Kong, 7/11
String type and tension: Alupower Rough 58 lbs.

Comments: I demo'ed it, but for some reason when comparing to the Microgel version, I really felt that it couldn't produce enough spin. I liked it and I was more connected to the ball actually, but ultimately I felt that the lack of spin was a problem, but maybe if you used a more spin friendly string, it would be better. The Microgel version was overall better, but this racquet was more solid really and a little bit of a change from the Microgel. I'm staying with the Microgel version.
From: Ashok, Cincinnati, OH, USA. 5/11
String type and tension: Luxilon Savage Lime @61 lbs
NTRP Rating: I'm a junior.

Comments: Awesome racquet! Great feeling as well as it matches feel with the Liquidmetal Radical, but easier to play. There were no issues at all with elbow and shoulder compared with the Pure Drive GT. It's my new racquet of choice.
From: Eric, Paris, France. 5/11
String type and tension: X one Biphase 17 @ 50lbs

Comments: I demoed this along with Youtek radical midplus. Both are good sticks both need full fast and confidant swings. Prestige is a little stiffer and more controlled where as radical is lighter and more powerful. The only disadvantage of prestige is that grip is not long enough for comfortable two handed backhand but you can add new longer grip. Other than it is perfect. Better serve and volley than radical. I would say for 4.0 player radical is good but for 4.5 and above prestige.
From: RASHID, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, 03/11
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro 17 58
NTRP Rating: 4.0/4.5

Comments: I demoed this racquet alongside several others, including the AeroPro Drive GT and the Pure Drive GT. The control this frame possesses is phenomenal, but I found the spin to be lacking, at least in comparison to a few of the others I've demoed. So, in short, great control-oriented maneuverable racquet, but a little low on spin for my taste.
From: Patrick, 03/11
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut @ 59

Comments: Superb racket that can be beefed up nicely with a little extra weight to make it less wimpy, if that's your preference.
I've had several YT Rad MP's but one of them vibrates freakishly as well, especially when the ball strikes high on the strings.
I tried to use electrical tape as a shim on the removable butt cap so that it fits a little tighter, but to no avail. It also makes the same vibration without the cap in.
I'm about to try and return it.
From: Anon, Washington DC, USA, 02/11
String type and tension: Babolat PHT/Tecnifibre X1 58/56
Headsize: MP
(Anon, it sounds like you make have developed a crack in your frame; if you find one upon inspection, please send it back to us.--TW Staff)

Comments: Fantastic racquet - bought two of these; one was perfect however the other had an uncanny vibration, especially on off-center hits or when holding the handle close to the throat of the racquet and hitting the palm of my other hand. I use the same dampener on both racquets. This was caused by vibration of the holographic butt cap in the handle.
To fix, lift off the butt cap using a small flat head screwdriver or similar and place a ball of silicone about the diameter of your thumbnail (I used some of a insta putty earplug but anything similar will work) at the end of the handle at the very middle so that it will be flatted a bit by the butt cap once it is replaced. I wrapped the silicone in a layer of tissue paper to keep things tidy. I also placed a few tiny pieces on the edges in the handle where the butt cap slides into the racquet. They both now feel the same - hope this helps.
From: D.A., Australia, 02/11
String type and tension: Signum Pro Poly Plasma/Price Duraflex

Comments: I really like playing with this racquet. I previously played with the Microgel version of this racquet, but this one gives me more feel. I get plenty of control and playing at net is easier. The maneuverability of this racquet is good but I wish it were more head light. Overall it is a great stick.
From: Dario, San Antonio, TX, USA, 01/11
String type and tension: Head FXP 56

Comments: I really liked this racket. I have used Dunlop 4D 500 Tour for the last couple of years. My arm started hurting the more I played. I decided to try a more flexible racket to help my arm some. After using this racket for a little over a month. I love it. I am an ex-college player with sound fundamentals. I was able to swing this racket with confidence off both forehand and backhand side. My volleys were solid and really enjoyed the pop. My serve took a little time to get used to but once you get the timing down, watch out. The only thing I could say was an issue was off center hits. You lose power and the ball dies. On the positive side, the more I played with this racket, the less I noticed the off center hits. Awesome stick and highly recommend the Youtek Radical MP.
From: Armando, New Braunfels, TX, USA, 12/10
String type and tension: 18g at 58lbs

Comments: I really like this racquet. It's a really good feeling, control, and it's great at the net. This radical version is the best version, ever.
String type and tension: Head sonic pro 53 lbs

Comments: I liked this racquet a lot. I demoed it along with the Wilson Pro Open BLX, which I didn't like much, and the Babolat AeroDrive Pro GT. First off, the grip Head puts on this racquet is atrocious; I highly recommend re-gripping it right away if you decide to get it. It takes a lot of getting used to I found. It has a spectacular sweet spot and is friendly for producing some great angles off of both sides. The serve, however, is difficult. Mind you, I was using the demo and the grip was not of my choosing but I didn't like the feel off of the stringbed while serving. The racquet is not as maneuverable as its competitors; it's well balanced though. It gets some spectacular power but I just felt that if I didn't hit the sweetspot exactly I would not produce a decent stroke, so it was very unforgiving, and also, the Radical MP is big and burly, too heavy. OVERALL RATING: 4.5/5
From: Pat, NJ, USA, 12/10
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro, 55psi

Comments: I demoed this racquet and I thought this racquet was good. But the only thing missing was the serve return. I couldn't control the shots since this racquet was so light for my liking.
From: Jim Bob, Canada, 11/10
String type and tension: 59

Comments: I finally found the right racquet! The Head YOUTEK Radical MP is my true soul mate on the court. The shots went where I wanted them to go. Ball controlling is unsurpassed comparing to other brands' 98 square inches. I had been using several racquets with 95, 98, 100, 105, and 110 square inches from different brands and had come to the conclusion with this racquet. Once you had been on the courts with it, you will feel like you had been driving a Lexus instead of a truck! That's just me. Others may feel otherwise.
From: SP, Falls Church, VA, USA/Thailand, 10/10
String type and tension: 57
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments: I am really disappointed in this racquet. I thought it would be a good racquet, but it failed. I couldn't hit deep enough, with mediocre results on groundstrokes. The old Babolat Aero Storm is amazing. I love that racquet.
From: Jonathan, Queens, New York. 10/10
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro @ 57 lbs.

Comments: This racquet is really great. I'm still trying different string setups and customizations. So far, I have Prestige CAP grommets and a leather grip on this racquet, strung with Weiss Cannon Scorpions and it's just great. In my opinion, it's better than the stock because of the added weight.
From: George, NJ, 10/10
String type and tension: WeissCannon Scorpion @ 56 lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.5 (self rated)

Comments: I just demoed the Head Radical MP (Liquidmetal, MicroGEL and the YOUTEK). Although the Liquidmetal felt good and the MicroGEL felt better, the YOUTEK was just amazing! It has so much control and doesn't sacrifice power at all. I am definitely switching from the YOUTEK Extreme Pro to this racquet.
From: Chris, Tacoma, WA, USA, 10/10
String type and tension: Isospeed Professional @ 56lbs

Comments: Just got this racquet and I have good things to report. As I've played Head racquets in the past, I decided to get them a try again and found my replacement racquet for my latest Wilson BLX racquet that ended up being too fatiguing on my elbow & arm. This one is noticeably more comfortable on my arm. Due to its lightweight along with its HL balance I can take a quick full swat on serves, return of serve in addition to groundstrokes without fear of spraying balls long. Serving is also very good as I can take full swings the quick maneuverability proved to be a big plus against my opponent's well paced kick serve. Also good power and control from this racquet that is well suited to my game. Nice weapon of choice.
From: Mike, Philadephia, PA, USA, 09/10
String type and tension: Head Rip Control 17 @ 59 lbs

Comments: I must have tested over 20 frames and after choosing the YOUTEK Radical MP along with a little more weight at 3 and 9 o'clock, I'm certain I've made the right choice. I also found a co-poly/multi hybrid works great with this frame and adds a little more spin needed for the 18/20 string pattern. The flexible frame is arm-friendly without sacrificing power or control. I did replace the grip as the stock grip came un-glued from the handle when I took off an overgrip. I think the grip is something that HEAD should look at for a future improvement.
From: Geoff, Charlotte, NC, USA. 9/10
String type and tension: Volkl Cyclone/Gamma Live Wire Hybrid 55/58

Comments: After jumping around with racquets over the last 2 years, I feel like I'm finally home. The Head Youtek Radical MP is a fantastic frame. It reminds me of the soft racquets I grew up with, but it isn't as heavy or sloppy. Very easy on the arm and shoulder, yet responsive.
From: Kevin, Denver, CO, USA. 08/10
String type and tension: Babolat Hybrid Pro Hurricane + Xcel @ 57 lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.5/5

Comments: An amazing racquet has great baseline feel, with a nice touch at the net
From: Muhamed, Canada. 08/10
String type and tension: Wilson synthetic gut, Luxilon Big Banger Rough, tension: 56 lbs

Comments: Very fast racquet! Nice feel, easy to use... but, I change replacement grip after first use. I'm using Tourna original overgrip and with leather basic grip I got better feel. Try to string with thinner poly, it's perfect (Polyfibre TCS 1.20 mm or MSV 1.10 mm)
From: Jan, Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia, 08/10
String type and tension: various (still testing)

Comments: Commenting for an 11 y/o Junior previously playing with Wilson FX Team Pro. Elbow problems began recently and after demos and research some of the very light HL sticks can be concerning for big hitting Juniors. The Radical MP is just the right weight and head weight to help the situation and the Youtek seems to have even more dampening than others. Great for a junior one-handed backhand as this racquet allows more power through the ball. More control on baseline and much improved volleys and serves with the tremendous weighting if this stick. For serious big hitting junior level players this is a must demo. The slightly smaller head size is a big advantage. Not overly powerful but much more feel and control.
From: J.T., MA. 7/10
String type and tension: Wilson K Gut 17 at 60 lbs

Comments: I am now in my early 40s after 20 years of competitive tennis. I used to own a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT, which is a very good racquet; however, no matter the material specs the rigidity of the frame was proving too much for my elbow, no matter what strings I was using. I therefore decided to go for something more flexible and played for a while with 3 main rackets, a Volkl Power Bridge 10 mid, a Youtek Prestige MP, a Youtek Radical MP and a Dunlop 300 4D Tour. The Prestige somehow wasn't for me, the Volkl was a monster (I am sure I won 12 matches in a row in the league because of that), but I felt it was too heavy for me to swing, I and was using the racquet too much to provide what the body should have had (therefore made me lazy). I therefore concentrated on the last 2 making the Radical my main stick. 4 months in, I have decided to switch over to the Dunlop; I tried to love the Radical (which is fairly easy), but I was over-hitting a lot, having a mildly sore shoulder (my technique is fairly clean) but wasn't giving in, so I changed strings and tensions to suit. Still a great racket for me, but I was still over-hitting; I use a semi-western forehand and a double handed backhand, the forehand was suffering more that the backhand, had a bit of maneuverability issues at the net too. What I am trying to say is: The Radical is a nice frame but fairly powerful (even compared to the Roddick, with which I was never over-hitting); it does not only throw the ball on the other side with pace, for me it was also easy to control.

Comments: Before I made my choice on this Radical Midplus, I had to try few sticks (Head YOUTEK Prestige Pro, Wilson BLX Six.One 95 16x18, Wilson BLX Pro Open, Babolat AeroPro Drive GT, Prince EXO3 Ignite Team 95, Prince EXO3 Black and mores..) I always played with a standard pattern (16x19) and needed to see what suited me the best (Weight, pattern, head size, frame stiffness..) I ended up with a close call, the Babolat sticks generate amazing power but weren't really arm friendly so I went for this Head! After few hours of practice I started to add weight to get a heavier feel and generate power with big hitters. After few tests I ended up by adding 15 grams in the handle and about 2-3 grams of lead tape at 12. Now I play with a beast, perfect feeling never tired to play with, feels stable, lots of power and control plus I'm sold on the 18x20 pattern.
From: Kris. 7/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger ALU 16L, 57lbs

Comments: If you are an intermediate to advanced player you do not need to add any leads but if you are advanced or above you will want to add some because the racket feels quite light. Especially 6gr to handle and 6gr to 2&10 o'clock will turn this racket into a scalpel. Overall I like this racket and would rate 9/10.
From: Muzaffer, Turkey, 06/10
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour at 57lbs

Comments: If you are an aggressive player, who likes control, maneuverability and does not want to be intimidated with heavier shots, this is the racquet. From all racquets I demoed, Babolat Pure storm GT 295 was softer, better returns, but vibrates when returning heavy shots and there is no pull through on the serve at all, the 320g version is too heavy, as the balance is not right, the Babolat Pure Drive is too stiff and you might get arm problems, and the bigger head does not make it as accurate as the Radical. The Wilson Pro Tour has no power, you really have to hit the ball very hard all the time, the Head Instinct is too soft if you are up for a serious game, the 315g Youtek speed MP is ok, but vibrates a lot when you hit off center, you really have to concentrate very much with it. The Radical solves all your problems, feels a lot heavier than it is and gives you the pull through you need, the serves fall heavy and are effortless, it is light enough to move it around the court but stiff enough to return heavy balls and serves. I played with all versions, liquid metal, microgel and youtek, every generation gets better and better and there is a big difference with the youtek, a 10/10 racquet, with a bit of lead you can probably add more pull through if you need that for your game. Was never a head fan, but am very impressed with the Radical Youtek :-).
From: RD, Serbia. 06/10
NTRP Rating: 4.5 - 5.0

Comments: I am looking into purchasing some new frames, but I can't decide between this one and the Babolat Pure Storm GT (Sam Stosur's racquet) Which one do you recommend and why? I wish to keep the same string set up, but I might switch to Babolat RPM blast if I like it better. My current racquet is a Wilson K Blade 98.
From: Mark, Honolulu, HI. 6/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Rough 52 lbs.
(Mark, it would depend what you are looking for in your new racquet. Power, control, feel? There are many aspects to choosing a new racquet. Check out Talk Tennis where you can find players who can share their experiences or give our customer service reps a call who can ask you specific questions and help you make the best choice for you. -- TW Staff)

Comments: This is an average racquet. It wasn't bad, but it didn't feel special or outperform in any way. I felt the EXO3 Black w/hole grommets, Dunlop 4D 500, and Babolat Aeropro GT were all superior frames.
From: Tristan, Houston, TX, USA. 06/10
NTRP Rating: 3.5/4.0

Comments: When I bought the Microgel Radical MP back in the winter, I made a huge mistake. The Microgel version lacked plow through, spin, power, everything. I was so infuriated about it I snapped it in 2 and threw it over the fence. Since then I've been using my K six.one 95 16x18 and it's incredible, but since that has been discontinued, I need 2 new racquets (I only have 1 K six.one 95) and this is a for SURE re-demo. My serves were unbelievable, I could absolutely crush a serve that even my professional tennis coach had a hard time returning my serves to his backhand. I could aim my forehands to paint the lines, my backhands with even more power and precision. If you want a precision/control racquet, pick this one up, you will NOT be disappointed. Forget the Microgel version of this.
From: Bryce, Ohio, USA. 6/10
NTRP Rating: 4.5 High school and USTA player

Comments: This racket it awesome! Maintains a good pace during rallies and is maneuverable at net. Although you get pushed around a bit at the baseline if you are defending. Lead tape can fix that problem though
From: Khoa, Adelaide, Australia, 05/10
String type and tension: Genesis typhoon, 57
Headsize: 98sq

Comments: Incredible precision and plow through using Microgel Prestige midplus grommets. Wrap 1/2 width lead twice around just above the butt cap. Add a dampener and your golden. Every shot improved especially serve and slice. Very stable.
From: JJ, Philadelphia, Pa, USA. 5/10
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU rough @53

Comments: This is just a great racquet - used to play with KSix One Tour, but a bit too heavy and led to a sore arm - played with a few Radicals before that and this is the best of the lot. Able to play with precision and power - great for groundies, volleys and serving - I can't see how if you are a good solid player you can end up being disappointed with this racquet. The only other racquet I would consider is a prestige which is slightly less powerful and probably a bit more precise, but you can't go wrong either way.
From: Chris, Wimbledon, UK. 5/10
String type and tension: Gamma Live Wire, Babolat Hurricane Pro

Comments: Beautiful racquet. Just switched to it from the Babolat Pure Drive Roddicks, and I love this racquet. It is pretty unstable however, but I am going to put lead on mine to increase the stability, and I am also going to make it more HL (probably 4pts). The control and feel of this racquet is wonderful, and I can actually take cuts at the ball. This is a good racquet to demo for advanced juniors, and maybe even advanced adults. You really have to tinker this racquet to get the best out of this racquet. Putting the lead really increased the stability, and now I find it so much easier to play against big hitters who also have big serves. Nice spin potential with this racquet. Although it has a 18X20 string pattern, lowering the tension just a tiny bit and stringing it with a soft poly will let you hit with some nice topspin. This racquet is pretty light and whippable also, which can allow you to hit with more spin.
From: Andrew, New York, NY, USA. 5/10
String type and tension: Head FXP at 58-60lbs
NTRP Rating: 5.0-5.25

Comments: This racquet is amazing, one of my favorites, took a while to get used to it and had to adjust tension but afterward, I played some of my best tennis. Amazing volleys, groundstrokes, and maneuverability. I had a bit weaker serve compared to the Pure Drive. but really nice racquet. Try going all Poly.
From: Nick, Richmond, Virgina. 5/10
String type and tension: Luxilon BB Alu Power 56lbs

Comments: I used to play with the Head Microgel Radical and then I decided to demo a few rackets. I demoed the Babolat Aeropro Drive GT, Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour, and this racket. I liked the Babolat but it felt just good in every segment. The Dunlop was just too heavy. Then I demoed this racket and thought it was just perfect. The Youtek is a whole lot better than the Microgel.
From: Andre, Melbourne, FL, USA, 04/10

Comments: After demo'ing about 12 racquets, I finally decided on the YOUTEK Radical MP. I never thought I would decide on a racquet...there is just so much out there! It can also be the fact that I was still playing with the Prince DB26 (yes...the Capriati racquet ala 1990s!) and the technology has significantly improved since then. I was very close in deciding on the Prestige MP, but was advised against it due to it's weight (11.8oz strung) and my arm was sore for about 3 days after playing 2 consecutive days with it. With the Prestige, I liked the solid feel of my groundstrokes, volleys, and serves. I did notice the racquet was a little less maneuverable on hitting over the ball and also less maneuverable at net. I was hoping the Radical would provide the same solid feel, but with less weight (11oz strung). It certainly does. It only took me one demo of the racquet to know that this was THE racquet for me. It gives a great feel on groundstrokes and also a nice feel at net, both put away and touch volleys are great. I am able to control all my shots extremely well as I am more of a control player than power player. Although I only have had a few days with this racquet, I am sure I made the right decision. If you are a all-court player and looking for an arm friendly racquet, definitely give the Radical MP a try!
From: Arrwin, New York, NY, US. 4/10
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro, 58lbs

Comments: All I can say is that this racquet is a perfect blend of control, touch and power. I don't know if it is the youtek claims of flex and firm properties, or if it the ole "radical" feel, but it has it. Tight string pattern allows you to string loose and still have control. Awesome!
From: Blair, San Diego. 4/10
String type and tension: Prince Recoil 54lbs

Comments: I tried this racquet looking for a smaller frame. I've always played with Head racquets. This racquet is great on forehands, backhands, overheads, and even serves, but the only thing that turned me away is the volleys. There is not room for error on a volley with this stick. It hits real crisp once you make contact with the sweetspot, but if you don't you will start to feel the vibration. Also to me, it was hard to maneuver at the net on my backhand volleys. Other than that this racquet is great.
From: Reggie, Lawrenceville, GA, USA. 4/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger

Comments: What a great racquet & the perfect choice as a low power, control-orientated frame. I spent a couple of months looking for a replacement for a Fischer Pro Impact and in the process demo'd the Wilson BLX95 & K Blade 98, Babolat Pure Drive, Pure Storm & AeroPro Drive. While the K Blade & Pure Storm both worked pretty well for me, the feel and control offered by the Radical was a level above. While noticeably lighter than I'm used to, the Radical still delivers plenty of pop & has never left me feeling under gunned while really delivering at the net. This is a racquet that rewards confidence, particularly if you're a player who likes to take big cuts at the ball & brings their own power. Big one-handed backhands are an absolute dream with the Radical, but it also delivers finesse when you need to slice & drop. So far so good on serve too, good pace & accessible spin & kick where needed. If you play with confidence & bring your own power, look no further. This thing will make you smile.
From: Mark, Sydney, Australia 03/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power @ 60lbs

Comments: I tried for 6 months to find a replacement for the nblade 98 as Wilson discontinued the racquet. This one was it! It gave me more pop on my backhand but took some getting use to on the forehand and serve as the radical has more pop (spraying balls). Now, I can say it is definitely the best racquet out there. You can string this one around 60-63, while to get the same feel out of a Wilson it needs to be around 65-70. That is a big difference on my arm. I can pop a serve over 120mph and this racquet gave some extra movement on the serve. Nothing will ever be better than the nblade 98 but this does come close.
From: Eric Strawbridge, Austin, Texas, USA. 03/10
String type and tension: Topspin Cyberflash 61-63

Comments: Definitely an intermediate players racquet. Fun to serve with, but it takes a little bit to get used to. Very solid response if hit right. Fun to slice with.
From: Tim, San Diego, CA, USA, 03/10
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro, 60 lbs.

Comments: I have been a long time user of the K Six one Tour 90. I recently tried out the Youtek Radical MP, due to an arm injury. This has got to be the smoothest and most comfortable racquet I have ever played with. Very arm friendly. I find it terrific to generate heavy topspin and the low power also allows me to take much larger cuts at the ball. It offers great precision on serves, and lots of control on volleys too and great for my 1-hand backhand. I also think this racquet works best at lower tensions. The very low power (compared to even Tour 90) allows you to string at much lower tensions - I used to string my tour 90 at LUX ALU 53/Attraction 58. I now string at 49/54.
From: Koushik, Ind 02/10
String type and tension: Luxillon ALU 49lb/Attraction 54 lb

Comments: Not sure about this one... Played this stick for 6 months now, decided to switch to Babolat apd gt. This stick had a lot of control, especially on volleys. But if you hit a millimeter out of the small sweetspot this racket vibrates as (well fill in any word of something that vibrates hell of a lot). The vibrations my arm have to endure using this racket makes my arm sore and hurts my elbow (from the moment I switched to the apd gt no problems at all) I hit a great 1hbh but my forehand doesn't have as much spin and power as I get with the apd. Serve again has great control, but I have to use a lot of muscle to get a nice pace on the service (once again great relief on the arm once I switched to apd gt) So in conclusion: great control, great volleys, lack of power, and awful lot of vibration
From: Henk, Netherlands, 02/10
String type and tension: Tyger reflex 58 lbs
Headsize: 100 sq in

Comments: I recently changed to the Radical coming from a Babolat Aero Pro Drive and had to adjust my forehand to hit the ball a little bit flatter. I would say the Radical has improved my forehand a fair bit and I find decent power and good depth to be quite easily obtained now. I am still developing better technique on my backhand but find my single-handed backhand drive to be the most improved shot with the Radical which, in my case, is probably due to the less headlight balance compared to the BAPD. I can really go through the ball with just the right effort to develop decent power, topspin and accuracy. I also really enjoy volleying and find the Radical very mobile at the net and I certainly cannot blame the stick when missing a sitter. On serve, it took me quite a while to really get used to it but, as with the forehand and the slice backhand, the Radical almost forces me to relax and just happily swing through the ball with plenty of wrist action.
It's not a power machine overall, but it has enough power to play the baseline rallies and is stable enough for me to eat up my opponent's power if need be. I should say that I am coming off a shoulder injury and sensitive arm issues (being 45). I can generate my own power but I value the totally relaxed swing with the Radical which helps my shoulder to better cope with my strokes. As a Federer fan I cannot say that I particularly liked the idea of playing with a Head, but truth to be told, I would say my game has clearly benefited from the Radical: it rewards technique and allows my strokes to be near effortless. Last but not least I am trying to develop more control shots, short balls, drop shots, chip shots and what have you and I feel that the Radical is there for me every time. I make plenty of mistakes but these are my own doing and certainly not due to the stick. I have recently changed from a poly to natural gut at a slightly lower tension - yes it's expensive but I would definitely recommend it for people with arm/shoulder problems.
From: Fred, UK 02/10
String type and tension: R.A.B. natural gut
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments: This stick is insane. I would have never expected a radical to be better than the Microgel- this is 100 times better. You could place the ball anywhere on the court, feel is incredible. Not to mention that this thing is a topspin machine, but also works for flat hitting. This racquet is just crazy for all strokes all over the court. If you are and aggressive player seeking more power, control, feel and spin, look into this. You'll be surprised.
From: Evan, East Meadow, NY, USA 01/10
String type and tension: 56 lbs some hybrid, lol

Comments: I got a lot of control from this raquet! It has a lot lot of power to thanks to the d3o technology. The best shot with this racquet was the volley. The serve is kind of hard at first but it's worth getting use to it. Groundies were ok .
From: Robin, Narvik, Norway 01/10
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power 56 lbs
NTRP Rating: Junior 4.5

Comments: One word. Needs more head weight. When playing with 3.5 level players I thought the stability and power was ok. But when I started to hit with a 4.0 level player, every ball landed on the service line and felt the racquet has no more power. The problem I noticed was I could not move the ball around easily on a heavily hit or heavy topspin ball. Also on the high ball, all I can do was hit it back the same way and then it just landed short. I added 12g of lead (4 x 2 inches of 1/2" lead tape on 3, 9, and 6) and bam the racquet came alive and wow what a feel. I felt 1HBH got much more consistent and my fear of getting wrist or elbow pain from a lighter racquet was gone. Racquet dedicates at the net and very solid. No doubt. Now with the weight added and got nicer feel, groundstrokes got more consistent. Did I mention the amount of spin this racquet can generate? Wow. Also if you can slice, you get much benefit from this racquet. Good racquet if you have developed swing pattern know how to use it. If you don't have a developed swing and if you just put the ball-in-play type of player, this is not the frame for you.
From: Chris, IL, USA, 01/10
String type and tension: Natural Gut / Luxilon Rough at 58
NTRP Rating: 3.5 - 4.0

Comments: I switched to this racquet from a Head Youtek Speed MP for greater control and stability and this racquet delivers exactly that. After several sets I found I was definitely hitting far fewer shots over the baseline, and placement accuracy was definitely improved, and will probably get even better with some more time with the racquet. Impact felt rock solid, and the vibration levels that some complain about were not immediately overly prominent to me. I use the standard head logo dampener, and string it with Luxilon alu power rough 57lbs. mains, Tecnifibre biphase one on the crosses, which probably helps with shock absorption. of course, with better control comes the inevitable trade off of lesser power, and this racquet is no different. I noticed I was hitting fewer winners against my usual competition off the ground, but then again, I might also have been tempering my swing speed that day in order to improve my consistency. My feeling is the power is there, but you have to work for it. Serving was a similar experience to groundstrokes, very solid and predictable on second serves, but first serves lacked usual pop. Will have to see if this improves with time and familiarity. As far as the 18x20 string pattern, there was still plenty of spin, both topspin and slice, to be had, so those used to 16x19 configurations should not fear. I think the lighter overall weight also helps with this respect because you can really whip this racquet around, especially if you are used to playing sticks closer to the 12 oz. range. The best and maybe most surprising attribute of the radical youtek mp is volleying. This racquet is EXTREMELY STABLE AND RESPONSIVE AT THE NET. Volleys, much like the groundstrokes, felt really solid with plenty of punch for put-aways. The lighter weight also contributes to maneuverability, which also helps at the net. You would think the headsize (98 sq in vs. the 100 sq in that I am used to) would be a detriment in this area, but I was volleying with this thing better than I ever have. A truly pleasant and unexpected plus. So overall,

Head YOUTEK Radical Midplus Racquets - Where to go from here

Jason Huang
What Plays Like A Pacific X Force Pro 18x20
Standard Length Player's Tennis Racquets
Troy Lara
What Plays Like A Volkl Organix 10 (295g)

Babolat Pure Storm GT Racquets