Head YOUTEK IG Speed 300 Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I realize this racquet is now virtually superseded but after getting mine new recently and stringing with Gamma 17g Syn gut I had to post -- this is a totally sublime racquet from all over the court! I don't know why Head has gone to a thicker beam width frame in the more recent Graphene range. The 20mm beam in this frame is superb, the cross frame width being wider than normal is perfect with single handed topspin both sides so as to avoid framing the shot, serves can be hit flat or slice or kick at will, volleys are automatic due to the realistic weight and swing weight. Totally arm friendly, the thing is a scalpel. Obviously the weight and swing weight gives a margin for lead weight additions wherever as needed. The flex is perfect and for sure not too soft -- the 100 square inches is the perfect size for probably 90+% of players. I look forward to Head bringing out a new frame with the same shape, weight and swing weight but even narrower beam width. All this emphasis on new materials and engineering design and beam widths increase? I don't understand. I'm sure I could design an updated frame for this model with 18mm beam given the new materials and composite layups, maybe not?
From: Rob, 7/14

Comments: I have been playing with a Head Youtek IG Speed 300 for almost 2 years, I was always struggling with the string setup. I string my racquet normally at 52x50 lbs with lots of string combinations -- full bed of poly or hybrid. I also tried different brands of string too, like Babolat RPM Blast 16 and 17, Technifibre Black Code 17, Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite 18. But those polys didn't work out -- the best string setup should be Technifibre X-one with Technifibre Blackcode 17, it has the best power and playability, but yet not durable (it lasted for three matches only). To enhance the durability, my friend introduced me YTEX Quadro Twist Black, which provides the same feel as hybrid but less costly. All in all, this racquet is really string sensitive, once I found the right setup, it gave me extremely nice feel and control, as well as really good spin on groundies and perfect placement in serving and volleying. Nice Job Head!
From: Connie, 6/14

Comments: This was a bit light for me. I went from Head Extreme Pro which I found overpowering. This raquet has great control, much better than the baseball stick Extreme. But the frame seems just a bit to thin. If you hit the least off center it feels like the frame flexes. Almost like a junior racquet. I have leaded the throat some, and it got better. But still I am considering changing to Radical OS instead.

Comments: This is the best racquet ever! This is better than the new Graphene Mp version. It it has so much power and is so easy to swing. Has tons of feel and control. My best shot with this racquet was my serve and forehand and my slice/drop shots were amazing. I am a 13 year old player and recommend this to every junior out there.
From: Kacey, 3/13

Comments: This racquet feels amazing. It's light so it's easy to maneuver but it's 100 sq. in headsize gives it decent power, while also being very forgiving on off-center shots. Coupled with ALU Power, it's potential is really brought out. With it's open pattern, it provides great spin and control but those strings will provide the extra power to bring out a balanced and great all-around game.
From: Ian, 6/12
String type: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power

Comments: Awesome control and spin. Power is not bad either, considering most of the energy from a swing goes into spinning the ball. For those players who want more power with this racquet, perhaps experiment with different string set ups. Very versatile in doubles play - pinpoint volleys and good angles too. Agree with one of the commentators that the light weight of this racquet actually allows one to shape the shot even mid-swing, as experienced during my doubles games. Will update again after I get some singles play.
From: DH, 3/12

Comments: This is the most arm friendly racquet with power and super control.
From: Billy, 3/12

Comments: I've been looking to transition from a power racquet to something with more control after playing with a 9 ounce oversized frame. I demo'd several offerings from Head as well as other brands. The Head Youtek IG Speed 300 is what I played with the best. This racquet offers great touch at the net as well as plenty of power and spin from the baseline. I do think stringing at 57 lbs was too tight and I'll go lighter next time. For the time being, this racquet is playing very well.
From: Josh, 9/11
String type and tension: Head RIP Control, 57lbs

Comments: I've been on a long search for what I reckoned would make the perfect racquet. Large, forgiving head with an open pattern for extra spin. And a soft frame to tame that spin friendly head's power and to provide plenty of comfort. The IG Speed is that perfect frame. It's as precise as frames with denser patterns (ex Babolat Pure Storm Limited or Speed MP 18x20), super spin friendly, and very comfortable. It is definitely lower powered which may explain the extraordinary precision but not so low powered that you'll struggle hitting deep. You'll truly enjoy hitting full out and having the extraordinary topspin keep the ball in. For fellow control freaks who feel large, open pattern frames lack precision you'll be pleasantly surprised with the 300. One word of caution: you will likely need to add lead to boost plow through. I added 3" strips on each of the eight faces under the grip. I also added a bit of lead in the hoop. Total modified weight and balance 11.8 ounces and 8 points head light. With this modification, slices off both wings were delightful! I've never bought two copies of a frame previously. I've sold my other frames and will be buying a second 300.
From: Timothy, 8/11
String type and tension: VS Touch/CoFocus 18 at 53/48 lbs

Comments: I hit with the Speed 300 for about a week. I play with the Speed 315 now, and wanted to try a slightly lighter frame. The stick played well, but I did notice that the racquet got pushed around some when volleying heavier shot. The lighter weight wasn't that noticeable to me, but the 16x19 string pattern definitely gave the racquet a different feel from the 18x20. Spin was easily achieved, serves had good pace to them and I thought it was really accurate. I think if I had time to try some weight and different string patterns I would find the right set-up. As it is I'll stick with the Speed 315, and the 18x20 pattern. I really like the control of both racquets though.
String type and tension: Head FXP, 56

Comments: I've tried this racquet from my friend and it was amazing. I play with the aero pro drive GT and this racquet gave me more spin, more control, and more feel into the ball. It's lighter by 5 grams only, but its feel is amazing so it helps you a lot. I am a 13 year older with some problems in the shoulders and my back, but this was comfortable to me and my weak points in my body. A must by racquet! I also tried the elite version, but it didn't fit my possibilities. This of course tops it.
From: Sam. 07/11
String type and tension: RPM Blast
Headsize: 100 sq. inch

Comments: This is an amazing racket by HEAD. I played with Head Extreme MP from the first version and I loved it. Aiming at updating the stick I had, I switched to the hottest one. For my surprise, I did not like it at all. Too stiff when compared to the previous version. A bit heavier with a different balance. I got disapointed with it. A friend of mine told me about the new Speed 300. I made up my mind demoing it and it was a nice surprise. Great control, spin, feel and power. The problem is that after 2 months, during warm up it cracked right next to the "neck". I sent it to the Head dealer in order to have it checked and I hope I will get a new one from them. Demo it! I recommend it!
From: Marcos. 6/11
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast @ 54 lbs

Comments: This new racket by HEAD is by far the best racket I have ever demoed, so naturally I bought it. The 16x19 string pattern really helps for spin and serves (this is the more open string pattern). I've got to say excellent job HEAD.
From: Neil. 5/11
String type and tension: Luxilon M2 Pro @ 57 lbs

Comments: Addition to my review on 4/11. Though factory strings were satisfactory after the oomph got out of them I strung the racquet with Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17 String @ 55 lbs, it is even better now. Already impressive spin and feel improved. Getting so much kick on serves people are complimenting me on my serve (doing nothing different than previously), as for groundies, I'm getting huge topspin on both flanks. I was going to experiment with more strings but why mess up a good thing?! Looks like a winner to me.
From: Boris. 5/11
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17

Comments: Coming from the Liquidmetal Radical MP, this racquet definitely improved my game in every category. I demo'd the Pure Storm GT as well as the Dunlop 300G series and none of them felt right. Considering that I have some problems with my rotator cuff I knew I had to get a more shoulder friendly racquet and I just found it. My volleys are solid and my serve was precise, it does lack power but nothing like a lower tension Pro Hurricane Tour and some lead tape and both 3 and 9 o'clock cant fix. Now I'm playing more confident now and I can actually hang around with 4.0-5.0 players at my club. Definitely a must buy racquet if you want a very maneuverable and light racquet. Good job, Head!
From: Paul. 5/11
String type and tension: Pro Hurricane Tour @ 57 lbs / lead tape on 3 and 9 o'clock
NTRP Rating: 4.0/Club Player

Comments: One of the most impressive new racquets that I have used this year by a long stretch. I gave the Youtek IG 16x19 315 a demo first and it was a huge improvement over last models, although still a bit demanding for myself. Then I got a hold of the 300 and it was a completely different beast. It had an incredible combination of power and control - serves and volleys produced the most notable improvement. I have switched to this racquet and my game has improved tremendously.
From: Nath. 5/11
String type and tension: Luxilon M2 Pro @ 54/52 lbs

Comments: Last week I demoed this along with a Babolat Aero Storm, Babolat Pure Storm, and a Wilson Six.One BLX. I liked this racquet alright, although I felt the balance was a little off. It didn't feel very compact in my hand, the way the Babolats did. To someone considering this racquet, I would advise to demo it before you buy it. I eventually went with the Babolat Aero Storm because of the spin and power it could generate, along with the overall feel of the racquet.
From: Bailey, Wilton, CT, USA. 5/11

Comments: I switched to the IG 300 from the Youtek Radical OS looking for more control in all aspects of my game. I was a bit concerned that the IG 300 would be so control oriented that it would have little pop even when struck solidly. I was surprised with the power, control and spin I got from this racket the first time out. It is an amazing racquet from Head (I have owned most models of Radical through the years). I do believe this is a very string-sensitive frame that requires a good gut or high end multifilament to get the best it has to offer.
From: Bob, Atlanta, GA, USA. 4/11
String type and tension: Babolat Team Gut 16g

Comments: This racket is clearly targeted towards Babolat Aeropro Drive crowd. I played with both the Aeropro Drive Cortex and this one. This racquet beats it in every department. I had amazing top spin forehands and top drawer comfort. I have never seen a copy job this good. Good work Head.
From: Boris. 4/11

Comments: I used to play with almost all the Dunlop 300 series since the Hotmelt 300G. I was on the go for the Biomimetic 300 when I gave a try to the IG 300, just out of curiosity. The IG 300, though a quite lightweight stick, is very stable (even without lead) and this is the main difference compared to Dunlop 300s. It's even stable on hard returns. You can feel the racquet softness from the first hits (I bought it before knowing the RA Index) which brings more speed to the ball in the way that it makes just like a "trampoline". I Must admit, I am playing with Intellitour string @ 25kg, which helps. But I was also doing the same on my Dunlop. The thin beam allows the racquet to get very nice control without losing to much power, and I just enjoy it. The 100 square inch with the 16x19 pattern works great for spin, much more than the Dunlop. On slice shots, it has tendency to fly away a bit. Slice shots were the ones I was struggling with the IG 300 until I added lead. On serve, this stick has a wonderful sensation. My brother, who is playing a Babolat PDGT (Roddick version) feels the same. You can hit flat serves or kick serves amazingly. On volleys, that is maybe the weaknessof the IG 300. Compared to my Dunlop 300, this is the most difficult to get pace, and I feel the 100 sq inch does not help. I lack control and I have difficulties with short angle shots. I think you have to be a good volley player to not be disadvantaged by its lack of maneuverability. Overall, IG 300 is great for spin and serve, I also loved this for my one hand backhand, but it is a little less performing with volleys.
From: Nicolas, Lyon, France. 4/11
String type and tension: Head Intellitour @ 25kg

Comments: I thought this racquet was underpowered. I also thought the swingweight was too low and the balance was too headlight (which on the flip side means this racquet is extremely maneuverable). There wasn't enough stability or punch on volleys. This racquet is definitely a candidate for customization.
From: Eric, Oakland County, MI, USA. 4/11

Comments: The IG300 blends lightweight maneuverability with some great punch and a crisp relatively small sweetspot for a 100 sq. in. The Speed line of racquets marry the trademark Head teardrop shape with a Babolat-type of roundness in the hoop to create an accurate control racquet that nevertheless packs some put away power. The spin from the 16 x 19 is amazing. D3o stiffens up on fast hard hits. IG dampens but doesn't disconnect. Low swingweight lets you really define the shot during execution. Great serves. Not many wobbles off centre. Sits between MP players racquets and the Elite's lightness but higher swingweight. Just great. Only downside would be lack of mass chipping balls back in return of serve, and thin beam means slices didn't penetrate the court. More a sculptors chisel than a paintbrush, it does things with great accuracy and a deeper nastier biting spin than anything I'm familiar with. I attribute it all to the hoop shape which you're not going to get anywhere else. Thin yoke and scooped bridge keep the feel when suddenly the turbo kicks in and you put away groundies in corners. Very good in defense and on the stretch. Did I mention serve? Whew it blasts a bit like a Bab but with accuracy.
From: Rob. 04/11
String type and tension: factory strings
Headsize: 100 sq in
Aus Rating: A6 about NTRP 4

Comments: The IG300 blends lightweight maneuverability with some great punch and a crisp relatively small sweet spot for a 100 sq. in. The Speed line of racquets marry the trademark Head teardrop shape with a Babolat-type of roundness in the hoop to create an accurate control racquet that nevertheless packs some put-away power. The spin from the 16 x 19 is amazing. D3o stiffens up on fast hard hits. IG dampens but doesn't disconnect. Low swingweight lets you really define the shot during execution. Great serves. Not many wobbles off centre. Sits between MP players racquet and the Elite's lightness but higher swingweight. Just great. Only downside would be lack of mass chipping balls back in return of serve, and thin beam means slices didn't penetrate the court. More a sculptors chisel than a paintbrush, it does things with great accuracy and a deeper nastier biting spin than anything I'm familiar with. I attribute it all to the hoop shape which you're not going to get anywhere else. Thin yoke and scooped bridge keep the feel when suddenly the turbo kicks in and you put away groundies in corners. Very good in defense and on the stretch. Did I mention serve? Whew it blasts a bit like a Babolat but with accuracy.
From: Rob, Sydney, Australia, 4/11
String type and tension: Factory strings
Headsize: 100 sq in