Head MicroGEL Radical Midplus Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: Just bought this racquet a week ago and fits my needs perfectly. I am fairly new at tennis, still under a year, 21 year old, and a 175lb male. That being said, the racquet is a very good weight, length, and I love the head size. After playing so long with a crappy Walmart racquet, I finally switched and can tell difference in power (from racquet), stability, and most importantly control! I am very fluent with my backhand and the power and control I receive from this racquet is outstanding. The grip is very nice, somewhat "sticky" and keeps your hand from sweating. Another thing I noticed is the bevels on this 4 1/2 racquet seem much easier to grip Semi-Western style compared to my other racquet, which was 4 1/2 as well. A good friend that I play with almost every day purchased the Liquidmetal, a racquet I was also looking at. Some differences I noticed was the weight in the Liquidmetal was slightly lighter than mine and my power shots definitely revealed that when facing him. There is also a bit more control with this racquet compared to the Liquidmetal, as I was easily able to place the ball in various spots. This is just a quick sidenote for those who were interested in the Liquidmetal, not saying it's bad but just letting you know what believe to be the difference, everyone has a different play style. In short, this racquet is fantastic. A very good first purchase stick for an incredibly reasonably price. I would recommend this racquet to any intermediate player that's looking to pick up their game in terms of control and power. Couldn't be more joyed with my purchase, thanks!
From: Danny, 5/14

Comments: I have been playing with this racquet for 3 1/2 years. Right off the bat, I noticed it had great control compared to other racquets I had tried. I am a 3.5 hard-hitting, aggressive baseline player who hits with a lot of topspin, especially on the forehand side, so I generate my own power and use full strokes. Contrary to what others have posted, I've always found the racquet to be very forgiving on miss-hits, and even my opponents have commented on this several times. I did initially also have the problem mentioned by another poster about the racquet not having enough stability at the net, but after I added two 5 x 1/4 inch strips of lead tape on top of one another at 9 and 3, this problem went away, and my ground strokes had more weight behind them, without sacrificing control. The racquet also is very plush-feelings and only gave me an elbow problem when I briefly tried using Big Banger ALU. This was never an issue with synthetic gut or Pro Hurricane poly strings, so the racquet was not to blame. I did recently have a problem with the second one of these I bought 2 years ago -- the same problem another poster reported: it cracked right where the frame tapers into the shaft. Head only will replace it up to 1 year, so I'm out of luck. The first one was bought 3 1/2 years ago and it looks fine. If you generate your own power with fast, full strokes, this stick is a great choice for pinpoint shots, without giving you elbow problems.
From: Warren, 2/1

Comments: Just added this highly customizable gem to my "collection." To dial it in, add a little lead tape here and there, string it with a soft poly (Solinco 17 gauge strung at 45 lbs) and you will have a racquet that you'll never want to put down. All and all, it's a great racquet for tinkerers. Love it.
From: Cello, 12/13

Comments: I am very disappointed by the durability of this racquet. I purchased two back in 2011 and both had the same problem, they cracked in the middle. I am an intermediate player and play twice a week and mostly doubles, so these racquets were never submitted to very hard ball hitting nor have they been mistreated in anyway. It clearly looks that this is a weak spot in the racquet's frame and therefore, a manufacturers problems. However, when I tried to replace the first one that broke, could not do anything because it happened after one year of purchasing it. Now the second one is gone too and again, it happened after the one year warranty limit. My previous Head racquets lasted 13 years, what a quality difference. I need new racquets but surely, I am not looking at Head racquets anymore.
From: Ernesto, 9/13

Comments: Have now used a set of four of these racquets for more than two years (5.0 level) and they've been great. Less arm pain than any other racquet I've used. For a light, thin frame it has some pretty decent power but you give up a little control compared to some stiffer racquets -- basically an ideal combination in my opinion but a competitive player with her/his own power may prefer even more control. Good spin potential. Great when requiring quick movement such as for volleying. Lastly, I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on new technologies. This racquet is still about as "modern" as other new models with limited significant advances in newer racquets since this one came out, so take advantage of the great prices.
From: Eliot, 8/13

Comments: I am making the switch from a Babolat Pure Storm ltd. to this Head. You might think it to be rather "radical" to go to this older frame, but I have never hit the ball more soundly in my life. It is perfect for the big swinger with a lot of spin. The control and overall plush of the racquet when hitting makes it very enjoyable.

Comments: I just switched to the Youtek IG Prestige MP for more power, however I've been using the Microgel Radical MP for 3 years and I can tell you that this racquet is great. It provides a lot of control, stability, and feel. My only issue was the power, you have to provide your own power to hit hard and deep (I can tell you I'm weak so I depended on placement with this racquet).
From: Faj, 6/13

Comments: I have played with this racquet for about 2 years and I am now on the hunt for something newer with a little more power. But I have had a lot of playing time with this stick and figured I could tell you what I think. For the price, this racquet is a steal! It has great control and I can place the ball just where I want it, usually. It is great for down the line shots and you can usually hit with a full swing and not hit it out if you have the right technique. It has a small sweet spot and not very forgiving on miss hits. It is a head light racquet and you really have to be able to generate your own power to get some good pace on the ball. I have found when i get into heavy hitting competitions and late into long matches I sometimes can't muster enough power to get the ball deep in the court or if I am pressed back, even over the net. So when your arm is tired, well good luck. But over all. it has been a good stick for me and I can generate some spin with and really place the ball well. Hitting cross court across your body is nearly impossible to get the good angle. (I thought my technique might be wrong but after demoing the Babolat Pure Drive I could really crush the cross court shot across my body). I am a 3.5-4.0 player and it has been a solid stick just a little too head light for me and when I got tired I had a hard time playing well this racquet I think is best suited for 4.0+ players.
From: Scott, 5/13

Comments: Before this past year I only used Prince racquets. Then after I talked to my coach about a new racquet, he convinced me to buy this one. I see why now. Used it with the Wilson Extreme Octane 17 strings, I find I have so much more control, spin and power than ever before. It's insane how much a racquet can help improve someone's game. Everyone that has asked me what racquet to use, it's no doubt that this racquet is the way to go.

Comments: I've tried out this racquet for 3 weeks and this is what I've come up with: You really have to have good form and technique to be effective. Your strokes have to be right on for a deadly shot, meaning it's not very forgiving. You pretty much have to hit the sweetspot of the racquet everytime. There's not much the racquet can do for you, as you really have to generate your own pace. I'm a hard hitter so it works for me, but sometimes when I need to be crafty, it doesn't work out so well. It's below avarage at the net. You have to follow through on every volley or it dies in the net everytime. No half volleys! Crafty players steer clear of this racquet. Overall, this is a decent racquet. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to "wrap around the ball" types of hitters, or playing who hit loopy shots or topspin hitters. Also, I've notice it works best with poly strings at very low tensions, like 46 or 48lbs.
From: Phong, 1/13

Comments: This is a wonderful racquet. You will need a full swing and be able to generate your own power. I would recommend to switch out the strings with a good poly string like RPM blast or lux savage. If you do that you will you add more bite and spin to the already great control and feel of this racquet. It is great for serves and the best racquet that I have ever played with out of Aeropro drives, Prince Exo3s, and the Youtek versions of radicals. All in all a great racquet if you have a full swing and can generate your own power.
From: BLake, 4/12

Comments: Comments: I am in love with this racquet. I have never had this level of power, control, and comfort with any other racquet. I had previously been using Wilson Triad T3 and it was awful...no comfort or control and felt like I was swinging a 2x4 board. I tried many combinations of strings, grip, etc and it just wasn't right. With the Radical Midplus, I can nail just about every shot without having to be timid. If you are a "big hitter" then this racquet is for you.
From: Hilary, 3/12

Comments: Yep, the word to describe my microgel radical midplus really is PLUSH. love the feel, weight and balance, and especially the lack of intrinsic vibration. plenty of power on demand, agile and solid at the net, absolutely nothing not to love, even the paint scheme is spot on - thank you HEAD!
From: Ron, 3/12

Comments: This was my first racket and I loved it... Great stick to hit with. Recommend to Anyone out there who wants control, spin, and power but with not such a heavy frame. Good Luck!

Comments: I'm coming from a Babolat Aero Storm Tour that isn't working out for me. I broke a string and grabbed this one. I'm probably on the weak side of 3.5 just from inconsistency and have struggled with the Babolat Aero Storm Tour for a year. I think it's just a little too heavy for me. Any modifications, weight, overgrip, or whatever, seemed to screw up my timing. Anyway, I grabbed this Head MicroGEL Radical Midplus out of necessity and went to hit with it. I started with serves. The lighter weight allowed for more speed. The lack of mass might have taken a bit off the big flat serve compared to the Babolat, but not much, and I was more consistent. The lighter weight allowed me to better maintain the grip on kick serve and I got some pretty wicked spins despite the 18x20 pattern. Groundstrokes also took only a few minutes to dial in. The lighter racquet was very maneuverable at net. Running forehands off the wing resulted in nice topspin cross courters that I was not able to do with the Babolat. I found good depth and power everywhere, nice depth on backhand slice. For topspin groundstrokes, I had to keep the racquet speed up on the high end but it was easy with the low weight. The ability to flick with this stick allowed me to be more creative with hands compared to heavier stuff. I found plenty of power with a loose grip and tons of spin with a little wrist action. Sweet spot was very rewarding. Of course, there's some penalty for getting out of it. A little vibration and a little power loss. I think that could easily be improved with some decent strings at lower tension. I could use some added weight against heavy hitters but there is plenty of room for customization without getting too heavy. Fun stick, I'm going to stay with it for a while.

Comments: My last racquet was the Head Prestige 98 inch XL (which was the older version of the Prestige series). I found great success with the racquet but felt that the racquet was a little too heavy and was wearing on my elbow. I just recently bought the Head MicroGel Radical Midplus racquet and have fallen in love with it. The racquet is much lighter which in turn is making my swing faster. My serves are able to go where I want them to and am able to keep the same pace (and most of the time even more pace) with my new racquet and able to get more aces. With the strings at 62 pounds, it makes it easy to generate power and have the control I need to take my game to the next level. I believe this is a great racquet more anyone who is competitive player looking to take their game to the next level!Forever a Head racquet user!
From: Shawn, 8/11
String type and tension: Sythetic Gut, 62 pounds

Comments: I found this racquet to have a bit more pop than the Prestige line on volleys and off the ground. The balance is about the same as the oversize but it is easier to control serves and volleys with this frame, while still having a nice even swing off the ground similar to the oversize. It is a very controlled arm-friendly stick. Great feel without the shoulder and hand pain that many control frames inflict.
From: Rod, 8/11
String type and tension: Kirschbaum synthetic gut at 50 lbs

Comments: This racquet has been amazing. My one-handed backhand has improved tremendously and has become a dependable shot. Every aspect of my game has improved with this racquet. I have demoed a lot of sticks from featherweight (Dunlop 300 lite) to K-factor 6.1 95 and kept coming back to this one. One thing you would need to do is to rip out the strings it comes with and get a better one. Those strings are horrible. I strung this one with Gamma Zo Twist at 58lbs. I get tons of topspin on my shot ( have semi-western forehand and extreme eastern backhand grip) and kickers are really kicking out wide. I would certainly recommend this stick to anyone.
From: Kishore. 06/11
String type and tension: Gamma Zo Twist 16 @58lbs

Comments: This racquet is pretty good. It takes time getting used to, but I like the feel of the racquet. I am playing with gamma multifilament strings and it provides excellent feel, touch and control. I am an aggressive baseliner with a monster flat serve and an average kick. This racquet will make you improve your form because if you do not have good form it simply won't work. I recommend this racquet to advanced players seeking better control and not so much power. It also needs a little tweaking to make the sweetspot bigger because it is too small for me, but when you hit that sweetspot it is an excellent shot!
From: Ramiro Garcia, El Paso. 05/11
String type and tension: Gamma revelation 57
NTRP Rating: 4.5 - 5.5

Comments: This racquet is pretty good. It took time getting used to, but I like the feel from the racquet. I am playing with Gamma multifilament strings and it provides excellent feel, touch and control. I am an aggressive baseliner with a monster flat serve and an average kick, this racquet will make you improve your form because if you do not have good form it simply won't work, so I recommend this racquet to advanced players seeking better control and not so much power. It also needs a little tweaking to make the sweetspot bigger, it is to small but when you hit that sweetspot it is an excellent shot!
From: Ramiro Garcia. 5/11
String type and tension: Gamma Revelation @ 57 lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.5 - 5.5

Comments: Great stick. The control is really great. I can rip the ball flat from behind the baseline (not a smart shot, but fun to hit) and it goes in! Spin potential is surprisingly good for an 18/20 pattern, and I can really hit some serious topspin with this. The topspin is not comparable to my old Youtek Extreme MP, but overall solid feel with the exception of shots outside of the sweetspot. Great price too with great control. Great stick for me.
From: Ashok, Cincinnati, OH, USA. 4/11
String type and tension: Luxilon Savage Lime @ 61 Ibs
NTRP Rating: I'm a junior.

Comments: This racquet is one of the best I've used so far. Especially for its price, it's amazing. It has a lot of control! I recently had the Babolat Aero Pro Drive Cortex and I like this one better. The only problem I have with this racket is when I serve. I cannot put as much spin as a Babolat racquet. Other than that, it's an all around good racquet. Also, I want to mention that it has a lot of power and a rock solid feel!
From: Julio, Murrieta, CA, USA. 4/11
String type and tension: Head sonic pro 17g sting @ 60lbs

Comments: I loved this racquet. It's very easy to use for long strokes and takes a bit of getting used to for volleys and overheads. Overall my serve has improved. I can put more spin on the ball and it is a lot more accurate than the previous racquet I had. If you choose the strings you want and are willing to give it a little time to get use to, then this racquet will suit you just fine.
From: Matthew, Witchita, KS, USA. 4/11
NTRP Rating:4.5

Comments: I'm so glad to read all these positive reviews on this racquet because now I shouldn't have much trouble selling mine on eBay. I don't care much at all for them. I played high school, college and taught tennis for years. This racquet needs so much tweaking. Too light, terrible stability, awful on volleys (unless you drive through the ball with perfect technique and best not catch the ball off center or the ball just drops to the ground)... basically, it has no substance. You have to do everything perfectly. No room for out of position or creative shots. Gotta drive through the ball with a stiff wrist.
From: Sam, McLean, VA, USA, 03/11
String type and tension: Gamma Professional 17 gauge

Comments: This is my favorite racquet yet! I just switched from Prince to Head racquets and this is truly a winner! It produces a great amount of control, which is very helpful. And it produces a great amount of spin both for topspin and slice, which is how I play. I really like the power generated by the racquet when you are looking for power. It's a great overall racquets. Volleys are easily put away and slice serves are easy as pie. Power serves are tough but once you get the motion down it can be so much fun!
From: Mike, Islip, NY, USA, 02/11
String type and tension: Head Fibergel Power 16
Headsize: 98 square inches (Mp)

Comments: One of the finest frames that I've played with, period! In stock form needs some weight but provides a great platform if you want to experiment. Did not even bother to hit with the stock strings, had them restrung immediately out of the box. Great feel, awesome control, needs some time to get used to it.
Serves: very accurate, feels that you can place the ball anywhere in the service box.
Groundies: Control! If you have the juice just rip it! Slices and drop shots are deadly if you can hit them.
Volleys, overheads: Surgeon's scalpel. You need to be in good position and have good technique to put the ball away.
Overall a great frame and fun to hit with. Provides the player with great feedback.
From: George, Athens, Greece, 02/11
String type and tension: Pacific X-Force 57 lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.5-5.0

Comments: Well, it came time to drop a little weight from the frames that I enjoyed for so long. The years go by, well into the seniors now, but I do love the game. Enjoy the variety, feel, and control of the traditional frames - just fun to change speeds, slice, feel soft slice lobs, change volley speeds, and then flatten out a shot or two. The Prestiges may be on the shelf, but the Microgel Radical MP will do very, very well. Easy on the joints and really a feel from the past that succeeds today. Great, great control and natural power frame from Head. Listened to others and added an old Head thick (and heavy) leather grip and a bit of lead at 10 & 2 - 11.5 strung now. Ah - simply wonderful for me...
From: Frank, Fairfax, VA, USA, 02/11
String type and tension: multi

Comments: I have a couple of them (89MP) the first strung at 58/56lbs with Head Ultra Tour 17 Silver String and the second at 27/26kgs with hybrid Babolat pro Hurricane tour/Xcel 16. The feeling is really good with both of them (after 10 years with a Ti.Radical OS strung at 26/25kgs. It was initially difficult to switch), great control (mainly with hybrid strings) and good power, this without lead-ing them up. It's more than 20 years that I'm using Radical, always find them very competitive and well balanced, I'll suggest them if you prefer a player's game, great control and a good spin shots, while providing the power that you need.
From: Francesco, Milan, Italy, 02/11
String type and tension: Head Ultra Tour 17 Silver String (58/56lbs), Babolat pro Hurricane tour/Xcel 16 (27/26kgs)
Headsize: 98 MP
NTRP Rating: low 4.5

Comments: I bought a pre-strung Microgel Radical mp to tinker and customize and use as a backup based on good reviews, the low price and low flex rating. I had it strung with Polystar Energy mains and Forten Sweet crosses at 55 pounds, and switched the grommets with the Youtek Radical ones. I haven't added lead yet, but I did put on a leather grip and a couple overgrips. I hit with it for a couple hours yesterday and was really disappointed with the feel. I had heard this racquet was very flexy and comfortable but it felt noticeably stiffer than my Aerogel Rd 200 which has a flex rating of 62 and is strung with a full bed of poly at 57 lbs. I also briefly hit with my Twin Tube Radical mp (zebra) and that thing felt like a noodle compared to the Microgel Radical. Is there a difference between the prestrung radicals and unstrung?
From: Ben. 10/10
String type and tension: Polystar Energy/Forten Sweet 55 lbs
NTRP Rating:3.5
(Ben, there is no difference between the racquets other than one comes strung from the factory. Everything else is the same as the unstrung model. -- TW Staff)

Comments: I own: Head intelligence Radical MP..I love it, radical mp Liquidmetal not good at all, very stiff. The Radical Flexpoint OS quite heavy for me (I get tired on 3rd set when serving, due to swing weight), Radical MP Microgel best stick of all, swing weight is very light, therefore fast. From the baseline you feel you can dictate your game, I have it at 53 with Gosen Polylon Ice 17, quite stiff but no complains, I will go for a lower tension to reduce impact on my arm, I will try 48 or 45, will see how it goes, don't hesitate on buying it, but string it at lower tension, it performs better.
From: Alex, Guadalajara, Jal, Mexico, 10/10
String type and tension: Gosen Polylon Ice 17 @ 53

Comments: A great racquet with incredible feel and control. I like the effects of the 18 x 20 stringbed. This has everything I was looking for except for the put away power I was used to with my old ProKennex racquets. Does anybody have any recommendation to increase the power of this otherwise wonderful racquet? I was wondering if adding a leather grip and some lead would help out. TW or anyone have ideas as to where to add the lead?
From: Kent, Easthampton, MA, USA, 10/10
String type and tension: Babolat Excel 57lbs
(Try posting this question in our message boards to see what other members think --TW Staff)

Comments: I brought this racket because I wasn't getting the serves and overhead smashes. Started using it and it was ok my coach told me to restring is as he had the same racket so I did with pro hurricane, after that it's an awesome racket great feeling.
From: Ben, Australia, 10/10
NTRP Rating: awesome

Comments: Very, very nice. Great Racquet, very playable, good serves and groundstrokes. You just got to play few times and you will get the hang of it. Great control.
From: Jonathan, Hollywood, CA, USA, 09/10
String type and tension: 57 lbs

Comments: I bought this racquet as a back up to my Speed MP 18/20. I had some arm pain with my Speed so I decided to hit with this one because it has a very soft flex. One word "WOW." Nice feel on groundies with easy depth, spin and penetration. I was hitting bombs on my serve. Flat serves were huge, and spin serves had nice bite and action. Volleys were nice and crisp with excellent feel. Great on finesse shots, Overall very impressive stick. Try it!!!
From: Jonathan, San Diego, CA. 8/10
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast 17 at 46 lbs

Comments: I really love this racquet. I feel a lot of good control with it and it has good feel and touch. It generates decent power and has good bite for that spin. It's improved my serve much. I feel good power on my forehand/back hand and even better on serve.
From: Chandler, Houston, Texas. 8/10

Comments: Moved on from the liquidmetal radical to the Microgel after 4 years. Once adjusted to the softer feel of the Microgel racket felt great. Little more spin production than liquidmetal. Little lead at 3 and 9 and racket performs beautifully. Don't judge the racket until you take out the garbage strings it comes with.
From: Eric, Taunton, MA, USA, 08/10
String type and tension: Gamma Zo @ 58lbs

Comments: This was my legit racquet, I used cheap Walmart ones. First thing you must do if you get this racquet is replace the string it comes on. I mean I hit decent with it but couldn't serve to save my life. Then I put some decent string in it and everything is booming. I put some lead at 12 and 11-1 and some counterbalancing in the handle and it's around 11.5 ounces. Hits very well, loads of control and good power.
From: Mike, Fall River, MA, USA, 08/10
String type and tension: Gamma Tnt2 17g @57

Comments: Loved the racket so much!! Fantastic with the power and spin. Great racket for me.
From: Anna, USA, 08/10

Comments: Oh man. I just got this racquet in after ordering it and reading many reviews. I haven't had an opportunity to hit on an actual tennis court, but just hitting against the wall with it I felt great control. I felt like I could put it wherever I wanted along with whatever spin I want. While feeling plenty of power. Also serves just felt niceeee. So far I love the racquet.
From: Chandler, Texas. 7/10

Comments: Got this micro gel cause a friend of mine let me try it. IT IS THE BEST, I will never use a different head ever, this is the best. It's just that the strings it comes with are awful just restring it a 58 and go have fun.
From: Dominick, USA, 07/10
String type and tension: Gamma zo magic or Luxilon big banger
Headsize: 98in

Comments: This is a good racquet. I own two and have used them for the last year and a half. Whether it is my technique or skill level, I was not hitting the sweet spot consistently like I wanted. I tried multiple strings without much luck. Then I tried the oversized version of this racquet and love it. It is the same weight, and the only difference I can tell is that I am hitting the ball with power and control on almost every shot. It has helped my game tremendously.
From: Chris, Helotes, Texas, USA. 06/10

Comments: Wonderful racquet! Plenty of spin and a nice firm feel. But it has taken a little getting used to. Only real problem is the horrible string that comes on, and that can be solved. This racquet is good for any player; it'll improve your game in ways that will surprise you!
From: Brett, MTP, Tennessee, USA, 05/10
Headsize: 98 in
NTRP Rating: 5.0 - 5.5

Comments: I really liked this racquet! It feels firm and good quality compared to the Liquid Metal MP that I played with. This is a lot more like my old Ti Radical racquet and had a good combination of control and power. It seems firm but doesn't send a shock down your arm when you power in a shot. For the price, I believe it is definitely a very good racquet and I would recommend it for others in the intermediate skill level (like me). I still like the Babolat racquets better for the top-spin that they generate, but this is in my top three so far.
From: Joel, Navarre, FL, USA. 05/10
String type and tension: 58-62 lbs.
NTRP Rating: 3.0+

Comments: The best racquet out there! Better than the Youtek new technology by far. Nice control and feel you must to bring your power but the control is amazing lead tape at 3 and 9 for more stability, thank head for this great racquet!
From: Alex, Miami, USA 03/10
String type and tension: Babolat pro hurricane tour 17g at 52 lbs
Headsize:mp 98

Comments: I got this racquet 3 months ago and it is awesome. Great control and good weight! The only thing I might have a little trouble with is the stiffness. The stiffness is huge which gives you great control, but you have to create all the power. To those who play with this racquet, step into the shot, and hit the ball really hard.
From: Andre, Melbourne, Florida, USA. 03/10
String type and tension: (M) Gamma live wire 16, 48 pounds (x) Luxilon big banger timo 117, 45 pounds
Playstyle: Aggressive

Comments: This is a great tweener racket. I have used it for 8 months and loved it. I would recommend this to power hitters who like a lighter racket. This stick provides a medium amount of spin, and a lot of control.
From: Nick, USA, 02/10

Comments: I've been using this racquet since the week it came out and I still love it! About 3 months ago, I demoed a few other rackets since I was curious how they would stack up (the new Babolat Pure Drive GT, the new YouTek radical and a Wilson K-factor). But nothing fit my style. This racket is great all over the court, especially from the baseline and on approach shots. Not the most powerful racket, but it has great control and comfort. Add some lead tape at 9&3 for a bit more pop and you wont regret it.
From: James R, MN, USA 02/10
String type and tension: Volkl catapult power, 59

Comments: Changed over from Flexpoint radical. I realized the difference in the first few minutes of the game. This is one of the best rackets I've ever played with. Excellent on control and power. Been with head for a while and I've never been disappointed with the performance of its rackets. This racket has unbelievable accuracy for base liners. but if you are the top spin type then don't go for this one. Over all a dream come true for a player like me. A perfect 10'er
From: Kunal Pathak 02/10
City, State, Country: New Delhi, India
String type and tension:60

Comments: This probably the best racquet I have ever played with! I love the almost even balance, and the maneuverability is spectacular. You get great control and very good feel with this racquet. This is an improvement from the flexpoint radical. I also love the lightweight feel. I would recommend this racquet to all!
From: Dar, San Antonio, Texas, USA 01/10
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane 17g, 58lbs

Comments: Oh my goodness. First of all I want to point out I have been using this racquet for about 6 months now. It's one of the best sticks out there. The control for this wonderful stick is amazing and also it gives you ultimate comfort. If you are a player with developed stroke, this racquet is for you. I use a hybrid eastern grip and I can generate immense topspin. Once again, this racquet is a beauty.
From: steve, orlando, florida. 11/09
String type and tension: Signum pro poly plasma and tnt2 Gamma tension 59

Comments: This racquet is awesome. I bought it without even demoing just because the specs of the racquet were so perfect. The 18x20 string pattern gives great control while the lite weight makes the racquet very maneuverable. I added leathers grips and lead tape at 3 and 9 to give a little more stability. Awesome racquets, great control, great power and great maneuverability.
From: Clint, Bremen, IN, USA, 11/09
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane 17g, 57lbs

Comments: I am a fan of Head racquet and big fan of Andre Agassi. Therefore I choose Head Radical racquets from Liquidmetal to Microgel. I feel comfortable to play with MicroGEL after upgrading. I don't even adjust my strokes and serves and improved my single handed down the line backhand. Thanks to Head for this amazing and improved racquet.
From: Jojo T., Yanbu, KSA. 11/09

Comments: I changed to this racquet from the Babolat Pure Drive Cortex following TW experts' advice and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made. I finally feel that I can hit the ball hard without fear of it sailing long. The confidence it provides on the second serve is amazing. The flexibility helps to increase feel and is easy on my joints. I do not consider however that the swingweight of this racquet is even near 315, I feel it almost identical to the Pure Drive. Thank you for the helpful advice and good luck.
From: Eric, San juan, Puerto Rico. 11/09
String type and tension: poly/synthetic hybrid at 62

Comments: I demoed this racquet along with the Youtek and although it was a very tough choice, the MG is the winner. As an older player coming off the heavy iPrestige Mids, the MG gives me everything I got out of my old racquet w/o. wearing me down when I play the younger guys. The MG is like a scalpel and it does everything very well, with just a bit more control than the Youtek. I just hope the MG's paint job last longer than my iPrestige.
From: SZL, CA, USA 07/09
String type and tension: Gamma TNT Tour 17, 57#

Comments: This is a very nice overall racquet, it's dense string pattern provides for feel and control while it plays extremely nicely. The thing that made me choose this was it's beam thickness for it's weight, other racquets with similar beams were quite heavy (310g +) while racquets with similar weights e.g. Babolat Pure Drive have quite a thick beam. The only other racquet I found to have a similar beam and weight was the Babolat Pure Storm (The one that weighs 295g) but it was a bit stiff (62 opposed to 53). This racquet provides great control on serves, a bit of sting on Ground strokes and precision at the net. I used to use a lighter, 16/19 string pattern, and larger head sized Head Ti. Heat, but I did not really notice any reduction in Spin, on a bit on pop.
From: Anon 06/09
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut Original 16 at 25 kg
Headsize:98 sq inches

Comments: Love the racket big fan of Agassi. I can add a lot of pace with the racket on this on my serves, groundstrokes, and was very consistent when hitting the ball very control oriented racket. Love the down the line hits with the racket. My game play with the racket went I up greatly.
From: Kristopher, Monterey Park, CA, USA, 05/09
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Bang Fluoro, 68 lbs
Headsize: 98 in
NTRP Rating: 4.0 - 5.0

Comments: This racket is amazing! Coming from a Babolat AeroPro Drive, I was looking for a racket with more precision and less <>. In my opinion, the APD overpowers a lot and does not give enough feel for the ball. With the Head MG Radical I have incredible control and am able to hit the lines at will!! If you scroll down, you can read a lot of player claiming that this racket is underpowered. Either they had a bad string setup for it or they are just not capable of playing this stick. This racket does not provide a lot of power if you are used to wrist flicking but if you like to take a swing at the ball you are very well served by it. I still can easily fire power shots over the net, so don't be afraid of demoing this racket if you have a decent swing! It's highly maneuverable at net and serves are pace-filled and precise as well.... I'm in love!!
From: Maik, D�sseldorf, Germany, 04/09
String type and tension: MSV Focus Hex (Black) 17g. 55/55
Headsize: 98 in�
NTRP Rating: ~ 4.5

Comments: Control, Control, Control. This racquet is pure control. I customized the racquet to be about 12.2 ounces, and it was great. The most stable frame I have possibly ever hit with. If you can not generate your own spin or power, you should look elsewhere. This racquet is for a true player with developed strokes. Hard to believe, but this racquet is more demanding than the Prestige line. The flex, string pattern, and the weight (that I did), all point toward a serious player's frame. If you have power, spin, and are in dire need of control, and lots of it. This frame is the best for you!
From: Joe, Chicago, IL, USA. 4/09
String type and tension: Luxilon Alu Power, 55lbs (going lower)

Comments: IMO it is a great racquet. I had never a problem in my arm. It feels good and gives me good control. It is true that a lot of players I know, who played the Flexpoint version didn't want to change to this newer version. They said it just didn't feel good. But I think, that it is a racquet for everyone. It is not too heavy and not too light. You can put more weight on it if you want. I think it is a great racquet.
From: Matze, Germany. 3/09
String type and tension: Signum pro 24-23 kg

Comments: This is a very comfortable and control oriented racquet. I would recommend an 18 gauge string to get more spin out of the tight string pattern. I've never hit better with any other racquet. The only complaint I have (which I noticed in other comments) is the top grommet piece is very brittle and I already broke it after hitting the ground during a low volley. Definitely not a reason to shy away from this racquet, but I would order an extra set of grommets or replace them with the CAP grommets from the Prestige.
From: Brian, Baltimore, MD, USA. 3/09
String type and tension: Luxilon TiMO 18g, 60lbs

Comments: Awesome racquet, I switched to Head from having Wilson all my life and have say it's a great racquet. It has good control on the serve and volleys and gives good spin and consistency for the groundstrokes. Only problem is that you know when you have hit it of centre as it vibrates hugely. But otherwise Head have made a good racquet and will be sticking with it.
From: Tom, New Zealand. 3/09
String type and tension: Tecnifibre pro red code 16 59lbs

Comments: Compared to the old iRadical Intelligence series, Flexpoint Radical And Liquidmetal Radical, this stick is way flexible (TW measured 53 stiffness, compared to, I believe, around 62-63 for the previous Radical mp series). I felt the flex right away. I do not know why Head changed the stiffness on the midplus.
From: John, MA. 2/09

Comments: This racquet is amazing! I just recently switched to this racquet from my midplus LiquidMetal Radical. I already liked the Radical series, but the microGEL stepped it up a notch giving me much more control and ability to hit through the court much more effectively. With the LiquidMetal I seemed to have trouble changing the direction of the ball, but the increased maneuverability with the microGEL allowed me to not only change the direction in the point better, but the increased pace while changing the direction was magnificent. Definitely lighter than its predecessors so if you're not used to a light racquet I'd suggest putting lead type on it to beef it up a little bit for you. tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power, 60lbs. NTRP Rating:5.0
From: Taylor, Montevideo, MN, USA. 2/09
String type and t

Comments: This is a great racquet. Nice feel from the baseline and it. Is easy to control serves. The feel at net really impressed me. My drop volleys were incredible. It is a little light which might require you to add some weight. The only bad side to this racquet is the head guard. It snapped the first hour I hit with it. It is incredibly brittle and the worst part of the racquet. Great racquet, though, so demo it if you get the chance.
From: Lance, Bakersfield, California. 2/09
String type and tension: Head sonic pro 62 lbs

Comments: Most of the problems people get about this stick's stiffness and lack of power come from strings and play style. The strings play the major role in stiffness so get a softer string or use less tension. It's a players frame so step into the ball to if you want more power.
From: Zach, Irmo, SC, USA. 2/09
String type and tension:Luxilon spin/Wilson sensation at 57/60

Comments: When I first bought the microgel radical mp and used it I didn't like it at all cause it was stiff; not bouncy like the flexpoint radical. I had a hard time using the microgel. I recommend that they change the stiffness into a more bouncy feel like the flexpoint.
From: Aaron, Guam. 2/09
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger

Comments: Was looking for replacement for my i.radical intelligence MP. I demoed this stick on two occasions, with the following observations: swing weight was greater than my i.radical, had more flex, and did not feel as solid as my i.radical. Too bad, as I have been a loyal Head player for over thirty years.
From: JJ, Central MA, USA, 01/09
Headsize: 98 MP

Comments:I tried out this racket for months and liked it! It has great control, and easy maneuverability to all areas of the court. It just lacks some power, even if I lean into all my shots. With this racket I still got a big serve, but not as much as when I used my other rackets. You start getting tired of it later on, and wanting to switch later.
From: John, Linkin, Nebraska. 12/08
String type and tension: Signum pro. 58 lbs.

Comments: Overall an amazing racquet. Recently switched from the k six one, which was far too heavy. If you swing well you can produce great spin and power. I have a one-hander and can puts tons of spin on my cross-court shots. The serve with this racquet has a ton of control with some nice power. The best part of this racquet is the feel, dropshots and slices are unbelievable with this frame. Only complaint is that it is a little light, but is very maneuverable, and overall a great racquet.
From: Soli. 12/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Rough, Pro Red Code 58 lbs

Comments: Wow!! Amazing lack of control and lackadaisical power. Did not benefit my already averagely weak serve. But it did help a little with my groundstrokes. Be sure to demo this racket first because it is just a bad stick to be playing with.
From: Martk, Vancouver, BC, Canada
String type and tension: Luxilon alu rough

Comments: To counter the arguments of low power I have to say that most player frames require you to step into you shots, whether they be groundstrokes, volleys, or even your serve. I find it more solid than the Flexpoint and Liquid metal Radicals of the past. Depth is only an issue if you don't know how to lean into your strokes. Volleys are great just keep a firm wrist which is proper technique.

Comments: This racket has great control and feel and response. The power seems fairly low. In fact, my already weak serve did not seem to benefit. Also the Racket guard seems extremely brittle. If your racket touches the ground with any force the guard will either badly scratch or broke. It won't affect play but Head and its cheap guard was a little annoying. Still a great racket.
From: David, Oregon. 11/08
String type and tension: mid tension
NTRP Rating: 4.5 player.

Comments: WOW! This racquet is amazing. I demoed it the other day and at I couldn't help but notice the closed string pattern on this racquet gives you amazing control. Also, spin is easy to create with this racquet. If you're looking for a control oriented racquet then you should demo it. I just bought mine and added lead tape at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. It is amazing. Definitely an upgrade to the previous Radicals. Thank you, Head!
From: Pat, Orlando, FL US. 11/08
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Multifeel 16 @6

Comments: Very stiff racquet, gave me a shoulder injury after only three hours of playing. It has very good feel and control, but no power at all. Very small switch point although my previous racquet had even smaller head size (KFactor six-one team 95). If you like hard play feeling, you will enjoy playing with radical mid+ but make sure that the strings will be soft and low tension, (max 53 lbs).
From: George, Salonika, Greece. 11/08
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Spinfire 55 lbs

Comments: The first thing I noticed was the stick is really light and maneuverable, which really fits my playing style. I really whip through my groundstrokes and like to create pace through racket head speed. The dense string pattern actually allows me to drive the ball better with more control. I can see how some players might want a heavier stick for added stability, but for me the light weight allows me the time to set-up and swing out on hard balls. The touch and feel on the racket is there for me, but I'm am just getting back so can't really compare it to another racket experience. Previously used the head radical trisys mp, but that was 10 years ago.
From: Nelson, Los Angeles, CA, USA, 11/08
String type and tension: Babolat pro hurricane tour 16 @ 58

Comments: I traded my Prince O3 Hybrid Tour with my brother for this forgiving Head Microgel Radical Racquet Mid+, and I must say that my one-handed backhand, forehand, and volley have improved. I'm still working on the serve, but the feel of the racquet is awesome. Every time I hit the ball, I feel as if the ball is flying into the heavens (No, I am not hitting the ball out LOL).
From: Francis, Houston, Texas, USA. 9/08
String type and tension: Klip Legend 16, @ 60
Headsize: 98 sq. inch

Comments: A must-hit stick for any 4.0+ with a loopy swing. The control is exceptional and there is plenty of pop for a flexible frame. I tried the Wilson Kblade, the Babolat AeroPro cortex and the Pure Storm and a few Dunlops, but this stick was a the most consistent for the all around game. The dense string pattern requires some work to generate meaningful topspin, but there is enough spin to be had. Groundies and volleys are a easy to place with depth. Flat serve was OK but the kick lacked some ... well kick. All in all if you can generate a your own power and enjoy hitting out you will LOVE the feel and control the Radical MidPlus provides. It is in my bag and will stay there for a while. Well done, Head!
From: Big K. 9/08
String type and tension: Gamma live wire xp 16, 60 lbs
NTRP Rating:5.0

Comments: Well this racket has excellent control off both wings. Lovely feel, volleys and dropshots are also excellent. The one problem is it is quite hard to generate spin. If I compare this stick to the Fischer I used, this one is much control oriented, Fischer is more spin friendly.
From: Aleksandar S., Macedonia. 9/08
String type and tension: Babolat Polymono, 24kg

Comments: I demoed this racquet for the first time yesterday, and I gotta say, it felt pretty nice. My one- handed backhand felt super-sweet and powerful, and drop-shots and lobs were just amazing. Volleys were nice and crisp too. However, I hit my forehand with a bit of top-spin and I didn't get the same response. I had to hit them flatter to really generate power and precision from this stick. And finally, I was a bit disappointed serve-wise. The Radical MP lacked power and spin and felt pretty rough on the arm, though I used to play with a lighter racquet so maybe I wasn't yet used to the heavier weight. Overall, good feel, excellent for backhands and volleys, a little less elsewhere. But if you like to hit flat and can generate your own power, I'd definitely recommend this racquet.
From: Kimon, Woodland Hills, CA, USA. 9/08

Comments: This racquet surprised me a lot. I've played with it for about 10 hours on court so far, and the first thing that struck me was how spin-friendly it was. Paired with Kirschbaum Pro Line II 17 gauge strings, it's a topspin sword ready for battle. I found the frame to be much stiffer than expected, probably due to the strings, but it actually benefited my style quite a bit. Short balls were VERY easy to put away with the low swing-weight and good spin potential. And serving is a dream with this stick. I found it ridiculously easy to hit kick serves, but almost more surprisingly, it was the best stick I've ever hit with for flat serves. Volleys were very easy to direct with a good feel at contact, and even serve returns were surprisingly easy to block back with power, even with the lightweight. I found ample power and excellent control as long as you provide your own swing strength. But I'm a rather tall, skinny, lanky fellow and providing enough power wasn't a problem for me, which was great! So far I've played with the Babolat Aeropro Drive & Pure Storm, Wilson KSix-One Team, and K Blade 98, and the Head MicroGEL Radical Mid+ is by far my favorite. Well done, Head. Try it out for yourself!

Comments: This radical gets a good rating due to its good control and excellent feel, although when the ball is not hit in the sweet spot tends to feel loose, and I had trouble accessing spin with this one but overall can't beat the countless number of touch volleys and drop shots I've been able to do to my opponents. You have a good sense of ball placement when using this racquet. A good racquet for any all around player!
From: Jack, USA, 09/08
String type and tension: Babalot pro hurricane tour, 58 lbs
Headsize: 98sq

Comments: Love it. I wasn't a big fan of the previous Rads, but this one seems like a massive improvement, just enough weight in the head to crush the ball and awesome feel. Previously used the Dunlop Aerogel 300 - very similar racket in many ways but think the Head has a bit more flex and feel.
From: Ant, Australia. 8/08
String type and tension: Wilson Reaction 16 53 lbs

Comments: This racket has great comfort you can ever ask for first time demo. With this racket you will feel instantly, and by that I REALLY MEAN IT, the response of the ball and the control of this racket.
From: Tin, Houston, TX. 8/08
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 16G-58lbs

Comments: Not the best racket I've hit with to date, but it surely is the best all-rounder I've been using. Volleys were pretty smooth while groundies were easy-going. The only things lacking were the feeling of the racket crushing the ball and the spin potential. Even though I am using Crossfire 18, the spin was not fantastic. Ok one more thing to note, the handle cracks easily. I've played with it for less than a year and the handle has already cracked, giving me an extremely wobbly feeling when I miss the sweetspot on fast swings. And if you are thinking that I've been slamming my racket on the ground often, no I don't, and if I do once in a blue moon, it's on the frame, not the handle.
From: Reuel, Singapore. 7/08
String type and tension: Ashaway Crossfire 18 at 52lbs

Comments: I would like to amend my comments from 03/08. As I said before this racquet is the most comfortable racquet I have ever played with and has loads of control. I was concerned about it playing a little light (no plow through) and that it is hard to generate spin with. After several tries with different combos of lead tape and strings I finally have it just right. Four inches of 1/4 inch lead tape each side of the racquet at the high part of 3 and 10 O-clock positions has the weight right. It is light enough that I can still whip it around with ease but heavy enough to push through the ball. I put 17 gauge BDE natural gut in the crosses to give it a little more pop and 18 gauge X-One Biphase for spin...I am amazed at how much spin, power, and control I am getting out of the stick now. It is still not quite as stable as the 12 once racquets I have been playing with but it is close. And given how much fun it is to play with this racquet...I am going to stick with it for a while.
From: Rondall, Glen Burnie, MD, USA, 06/08
String type and tension: BDE GUT 17 gauge, Tecnifibre X-One 18 gauge strung at 52 lbs

Comments: I've had a few sessions now with my new Microgel Radical 98s and so far I am very pleased. Very nice feel on both power and touch shots, and an excellent amount of control. Not too hard to create spin despite the 18x20 strings. All in all, a great choice for all-court players looking for a mid-plus in the 11 oz. range. Plus, the graphics remind me very much of the Cincinnati Bengals' uniforms.
From: Chris, Baltimore, MD, USA. 6/08
String type and tension: Gamma TNT2 16, 60 lbs

Comments: I've been playing with the new MicroGel Radical for about 6 months, and still I haven't stopped switching between this stick and the much heavier Prestige 600. MG seems to be half the weight the oldie Prestige and you notice that on the maneuverability and flexibility but unfortunately also on ball depth and weight. Great for serve-and- volleying, not as good on groundstrokes considering the lack of heft. Control just couldn't be better unless power is a part of it, but that won't stop you from consistently delivering dream passing shots, though. I've tried to add some lead tape, but still haven't found the right weight/spot to place it. A must try.
From: Vasco, Algarve, Portugal. 5/08
String type and tension: Head Power String

Comments: As a 38 old former competitive player and instructor, I feel that my Head Radical racquets are a throwback to my good playing years, just with less weight. Although I can definitely feel the vibration toward the tip of the racquet on off center hits, the Radical has a very solid delivery at serve and just enough flexibility for control and heavy spin from the baseline. It also feels especially comfortable at the net, whether you want to hit the ball deep with pace or go for a short angled volley. As mentioned by a few other reviewers, the head-guards are just to thin for the task, as I broke them on both my racquets within less than 25 hours of play. To me, the Radical performs better with lower string tension. Great stick overall.

Comments: This is a CRAZY racquet. I normally use a Head Liquidmetal 4 Pro and my coach lent this racquet to me. I experienced amazing changes in my game play, quickly. The control is astonishing. Nice pop and power. I love hitting backhand smashes with this racquet. They have a great blend of power and control to make them unreturnable. The spin was decent but flat shots had a better feel in them. I definitely recommend this racquet to other players.
From: Jaewon, 04/08

Comments: One of the few rackets that matched my game. Has a lot of flex almost similar to my head intelligence radical mp. But seems to be lighter than the other head radical rackets I've tried.
From: Paul, Bulacan, Philippines, 04/08
String type and tension: Gosen 62 pounds

Comments: I demoed this racquet for about a week, and I have to say that it is extremely solid. I have been playing with the K90 racquet, which is also very solid. The difference to me is the weight, while the K90 has a lot of heft the Radical MG does not. As a junior player I like the Radical more because it is much easier to adjust my swing according to the situation. I am now seriously contemplating switching to this frame because of that fact. The headsize also allowed me to add a lot of pop on serves and groundies without sacrificing any tension on my strings. It is a very comfortable frame. I suggest to those who like the heavier frames to at least try this one; you could be surprised.
From: Josh, Texas. 4/08
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16 on the mains and Pacific Natural 16 on the crosses @ 60 lbs

Comments: Simply the best racquet I've ever played with. I've been playing with 12oz or above racquets just because I don't like the feeling of pushed back when I play against heavy hitters. Then I got bursitis a year ago. Since then I had been looking for light racquet without giving up the feel of heavy racquet. Well I found it. Pair it with Gosen Polyon 17 on mains and Gosen Micro 17 crosses. This setup makes me unstoppable.
From: Zeya, San Leandro, CA. 4/08
String type and tension: Gosen Polyon main, Gosen Micro cross

Comments: The Head Microgel Radical Midplus was not a very good racket. It was extremely lightweight and had little control. Also, the racket had a "tinny" feel to it. Serves were muted, and spin generation was mediocre. I think the Flexpoint Radical was better.
String type and tension: Head Sonic Pro
Headsize: 98 square in.
NTRP Rating: Junior

Comments: I just received my Microgel Radical midplus just in time before I went to play tennis. I have to say it is an excellent racquet and everything about it feels so nice, groundstrokes feel amazing. This is a highly recommended racquet, but demo it first as usual just in case. Serves felt good, but my elbow felt vibration, which was different. Nonetheless the comfort of this racquet and everything about it is great. A must buy.
From: Evan, Long Island, New York. 3/08

Comments: The MicroGEL Radical MP is fun to play with. At 11 ounces it is lighter than the 12 once racquets I have been playing with, which is a welcome relief at 46 years old. Like I said it is fun to play with and very comfortable, but I am still trying to determine if it is an effective weapon in my hands. It is incredibly accurate and easy to swing. It's a breath of fresh air at the net as I can quickly get my racquet on a lot more balls and control the shot pretty easily. Overheads are fun as I can really get my racquet over to put the ball down with some authority. I can slice the ball pretty easily and accurately as well. When I have to reach for a ball a little out of my strike zone, like a ball that gets wide and behind me, it is easy to whip the racquet around and put the ball back into play. And the angles I can hit with this racquet, even when returning heavy balls, are amazingly sharp and accurate. Matter of fact it is easy to sum up this racquet with three words: comfort, control and maneuverable. My only is concern is that it is not easy to generate a heavy ball with this racquet. Even when I keep the ball deep, the ball doesn't seem to go through the court with a lot of weight or topspin. You can generate topspin, but it takes some effort and concentration. I am adding a very small amount of lead tape to the head and going to go to a 17 or 18 gauge string. I hope this will give me a little more spin and a little heavier ball without sacrificing too much of that awesome comfort, control and maneuverability because this is a very fun, accurate and surprisingly stable racquet to play with.
From: Rondall, Glen Burnie, MD, USA. 3/08

Jason Huang
Racquets
Spencer Boller
Standard Length Player's Tennis Racquets
What Plays Like A Volkl Organix 10 (295g)

Dunlop Biomimetic M3.0 Racquet