Head Graphene Speed MP Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I had been playing with Babolat Pure Drive GT for a couple of years and was finding it increasingly hollow, especially from the baseline. I was also finding the GT to be weighing down my elbow and wrists quite a bit. I bought the Graphene Speed MP almost on a whim one night after a particularly lousy match that evening -- and I am so glad that I did. This stick (almost from the get go) suited my game much more. I was able to take big cuts at the ball and the response from this stick was amazing. Access to top spin is very easy but at the same time, I am also able to flatten out my ground strokes when I want to. This stick has also been very helpful in overhead smashes because of the weight distribution. Due to the use of a lighter material (Graphene) in the shaft, the head feels heavier. I found this to be advantageous as I was able to swing much faster and freely leading to fewer shanked balls. At the end of the day though -- selecting the right stick is very much like selecting any other equipment that needs to work in close tandem with your body (bike, shoe etc.). It is not about the brand but it is about what adapts the best to your personal physical characteristics. I got lucky that this stick worked well for me even though I had not demo'd it first but that won't be my recommendation in general. But I'd suggest that this stick is good enough that you should certainly put it on your top 3-4 list and demo it.
From: Vik, 8/14

Comments: I love this racquet from every part of the court. Everything just feels great. I get better pop on the ball, control on my strokes, and deeper volleys at the net. This racquet has brought my game up to a whole new level that I have felt for a long time was above me. This is a great racquet and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
From: Jay, 7/14

Comments: I was interested in looking into Head racquets and figured I would give this one a try since it falls into the weight I typically use (around 11oz). However, after four groundstrokes the racquet went right back into the tennis bag. While the swing weight felt nice, it was like hitting a very soft ball, as if the energy was being totally absorbed. Where as my oldie but goodie Wilson 7.3 Hammer Ti gives me a solid feel and nice pop, this Head racquet was the exact opposite. I wasn't getting any good feedback. I'll have to take a pass on this racquet.

Comments: l am a high school varsity tennis player and l usually play doubles. This MP version provides a ton of spin and control. l used RPM blast 16G which grabs the ball really well. l could add a lot of top spin and hit super heavily and the ball would still land in! If you are a net player, this is the choice for you. l can come to the net with confidence with the MP in my hand because l know they will block my opponents shots back for sure. It just brought me power. l can generate some kick serves with this racquet, but if you are a big server who serves flatly, this isn't your choice. The only part l don't like this racquet is that it's hard to hit power when l was hitting overheads. l would rate this racquet 4.2 out of 5.
From: Yifan, 2/14

Comments: See MMLs comments of 2/13. I cannot put it any better! Excellent and insightful review. I am a 4.5 player and a lifetime Wilson owner and made the switch for all the reasons MML expressed. I was particularly very pleased with the comfort. One exception, no lead needed. Head has produced a great racquet.
From: Pete, 1/14

Comments: I demoed this racquet about two months ago. I loved it, and I bought one right after I had demoed the racquet. Today, I still play with the HEAD YouTek Graphene Speed MP strung up with Wilson Sensation 16g at the mains and HEAD Sonic Pro 16g in the crosses, both at 52 lbs. With this racquet, I can find the perfect combination of power and spin, but the best part of this racquet is on serve and feel. The control is perfect when I hit right in the big sweetspot, but if I hit outside the sweetspot, I can't get control over the ball. All in all, I love this racquet, great power, spin, serve, feel and control. The racquet is a little bit unstable at times, but I can live with that.
From: William, 11/13

Comments: I bought one of these racquets and put VS gut in the mains and Luxilon Power Rough in the cross strings. I have found it to be a powerful but controllable racquet, light but stable. It definitely has improved my serve and net game as well as my groundies. I like it so much that I bought a second one the next week. I highly recommend this racquet.
From: Tommy, 10/13

Comments: I'm a 4.0 all-court singles and doubles player and I love this racquet and have demo'd every racquet in the Head lineup. I prefer this model to the Speed Pro, even though I thought I would prefer the Speed Pro. I have used the Prestige Mid (Flex Point version) for over five years (I have three of them). I demo'd the Prestige mid Youtek, which I liked, but I am looking for something a bit more maneuverable as I just passed 50 years of age. The Speed Mid Plus felt natural in my hand as soon as I tried it. I have used three different string setups in it and have used the racquet a half dozen times. Despite the lighter weight and more open string pattern, I found this racquet to be very controllable but with much more spin potential compared to the Prestige Mid. I definitely prefer the Mid Plus over the Speed Pro, although I could be convinced that the Speed Pro might be a better singles racquet. What I really liked is the feel of this racquet. Whether it is the mysterious graphene, I don't know, but there is a crispness to this racquet that is very appealing. Combined with the spin potential and the more oval head shape, I really liked it (did not enjoy the rounder head shape of the Youtek Extreme Mid Plus and Pro racquets). I also tried the Babolat racquets and I'm not crazy about them either compared to the Speed Mid Plus. But variety makes the world go around (my hitting partner who is rated 4.5 preferred the Speed Pro, but liked the Wilson Blade even more!).
From: Peter, 9/13

Comments: This was the 2nd racquet I demo'd. I bought it straight after and have just bought a second one. I previously used a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick but this is much better and less stiff on the arm. The only thing this slightly looses in power. However, I prefer it that way as it is up to your swing to generate power when you want it. First time using Head racquets.
From: Harry, 7/13

Comments: I am a lefty who takes full swings from the baseline and used a Babolat Pure Drive + that gave me an arm pain for almost 3 months, but when I bought and use this Head Youtek Graphene Speed MP a week ago, it put an end to my arm pain. This is a very good racquet which generates power and control in many strokes. Backhand slice is one of the best benefit stroke for this racquet. Overall, this is a perfect racquet for me. I recommend this racquet for baseliner player and those with weak arms.
From: Noli, 7/13

Comments: Very good power and spin, less control than a 18X20 and it is quite confortable and with a large sweetspot. The downside is that the balance feel is weird, you dont know where the head is, you don't have this clear feeling of where you are going to hit, like as with a Wilson 90 or a Head Prestige MP. I have not tried the Speed Pro to compare.
From: Harry, 6/13

Comments: I recommend this racquet. It has power, control, spin and is very maneuverable. To add a bit more stability, just add some lead. Thanks Head. I am a 4.0 player.
From: Tony, 4/13

Comments: I had high hopes for this new frame but it just didn't click with me. I tend to like lighter frames, but this one played too light. It was unstable and jarring even on medium paced shots. I never felt like I could find the sweetspot. Also, the string pattern was much more open than I thought it would be. I would almost compare it to the new Wilson Steam 99S. I tried 2 different string setups (full FXP 16 and Sonic Pro hybrid) and the strings moved around a lot and notched quickly. The excessively open pattern made the stringbed feel jumpy and unpredictable, and depending on your style of play, you could be restringing this racquet every 2 or 3 outings.
From: Alan, 4/13

Comments: Demoed this racquet, then bought it. I really like the dampening feel of the frame/materials. I also like the open string pattern, definitely helps in generating spin. It is so light and it's very maneuverable. I'm a 4.5 serve and volley player with a one hand backhand. I strung it at 60 lbs with Head Sonic Pro Edge. Because of the open string pattern and more spin I was actually actually able to lower my tension 3 pounds. Still getting to know it. I'll report back.
From: Mason, 4/13

Comments: I have demoed this racket twice and I absolutely love it. It has great maneuverability, power, and spin. Also, somehow my serves are spot on and I have more power than I did before. I am 15 and i have been playing since age 6. I play for my high school. I string mine with Wilson Champions choice (hybrid) 16 gauge at 62 lbs.
From: Austin, 4/13

Comments: I picked this racquet after trying a bunch of racquets including the Aero Drive (too stiff, but very good weapon), Blade 104 (not enough power for me), Extreme 2.0 MP (second choice for me, but not enough control), Instinct Graphene (stiff with a lot of power, but erratic), Steam 99S (good spine, string wore too fast and the head was too heavy), Pure Drive (arm killer) and many others. The Speed MP Graphene is an ideal balance of power, control, arm frendly, head light and maneuverable. Great for intermediate and advanced players who have full strokes and good technique. You can put the ball where you want with these sticks. I'm an old 4.0 player with one handed backhand. I switched from a Pure Drive plus.
From: Guy, 3/13

Comments: I just got these on 3/15/13 and switched from the Babolat Pure Drive. It took a little bit to get used to but overall, I like the stick. I can easily get power without over hitting. The only downside I can say is that my volleying wasn't as crisp. Currently using RPM Team 17 gauge at 55lbs. If anyone else has a great string idea, feel free to comment. I am always looking for ideas to help out. I am 3.5 USTA player.
From: Barry, 3/13

Comments: I recently switched to this racquet. I've tended to use heavier, traditional racquets, like the Wilson BLX Six.One. It's taken Head a while to get it "right" since they launched Youtek, but now they have. I don't need a dampener in this frame because the feel is so clean and soft. They've gotten rid of the hardness of the previous versions. I must say that I don't agree with folks who find it lacking in either power or stability and I've added only the slightest bit of lead near 9am and 3pm. The key is the balance, which Head has avoided making overly head-light. It has great maneuverability without being whippy, beautiful spin potential, controllable power, a very generous sweetspot, and remarkable stability. I'm able to react successfully to balls drilled at me and really do something with them. This is a great choice for someone who is coming off of heavier, smaller- head frames, looking for something a little quicker, more forgiving, and more powerful without giving up the traditional feel and control.
From: M.M.L., 2/13
String type and tension: Solinco Tour Bite 16L at 50lbs

Comments: I have the previous version, love it and have become a fan of the Speed line. To me, as a recreational single and double player, the specs are just about perfect. So I purchased this version as soon as it hit Hong Kong. First the positives; the head shape is now more oval, and I love that. As much as I love the older one, the "tear drop" shape never grows on me. It's more stable and crisp overall, especially on volleys. Perhaps I am still in the honeymoon phase, but I find there's actually more depth and spin with this racquet. Now the negatives; there's definitely a problem with the grommet which is being discussed here in the TW forum and elsewhere. Once Head fixes the grommets, I'll get 2 more of this beautiful racquet. I really wish Head had retained the old beam width but then the additional 2 mm probably contributes to it being more stable.

Comments: I demo'ed this racquet and hit with if for two hours. This stick requires you to provide the gas, but it rewards like you won't believe when you step into a shot. This has tons of feel and pinpoint accuracy for smooth shooting. The open 16x19 string pattern provided tons of spin. I highly recommend this stick! It's worth a demo! I'm a 4.0 baseline player with a one handed backhand.
From: Allan, 1/13

Comments: Purchased this racquet 2 weeks ago and love it! I added weight to both the handle as well as to the head which increased stability and plowthrough exponentially. This racquet was designed to be customized, so don't be afraid to tinker with some lead to get what you want. Be careful not to weight the head up too much as the power will become uncontrollable. I am currently hitting with a full bed of poly but will try a hybrid set up next just to compare playability. I strongly recommend this racquet!

Comments: I demo'ed this racquet and really did not like it. It had no plowthrough and not enough "oomph" from the baseline to play against heavy balls. It doesn't produce much spin or pop. It's decent on serve/volley but this is not a racquet for a strong baseline player. Not recommended.

Comments: I love this racquet! It feels solid and soft with the FXP TOUR string at 55lbs. I don't even like to use multifilaments, but wow. You get tons of spin, power, and amazing control. Even after two hours of hitting and the strings going really loose I could still hit well. Not as well as I did when it was strung fresh, but still well with tons of kick and pace. The volleys are a bit wobbly, but overall the racquet is great. Flat serves are hard to pull off, but I am more of a spin person and my kick and slice serves were stupid (in a good way).
From: M.D.O., 1/13