Gamma Live Wire XP 17 String Customer feedback

Comments: I tried this string out as a full set in a 95in players racket and HATED it, I couldn't get any control out of the string. The feel was there and so was some power, but overall I disliked it as a full set. Now I traditionally play a full set of polys, so that may have contributed to the dislike. I decided not to give up on it though, and tried it as a half set (crosses) with RPM blast in the mains. In the same racket as mentioned before, I LOVED it! I feel like I have a great blend of power, spin, control and feel. I also have lead weight in the rackets I play, so as people have mentioned before, durability can be an issue. I frayed these strings down to an unplayable condition after about an hour or so of hitting. So again, durability is an issue, but for the feel I love them. I am very pleased with these strings as a half set.
From: Teddy, 2/12

Comments: I play on two tennis teams and play matches play twice a week. I liked the feel of this string as I can get great bite for kick serves and for top spin on both sides. But I break the strings after about two weeks once they start to fray. Also the tension does not keep long. Thumbs down for me.

Comments: I tried this string as a hybrid with the Gamma Live Wire in the mains and Tecnifibre NRG in the crosses and what a combination. If your elbow needs some comfort and you want the feel of natural gut all the way around, somehow this combo is the ticket. I hit through every shot with precision. You may want to go up a couple of lbs not to lose tension faster.
From: Patty, 9/11

Comments: I agree with the comments that say this string loses tension fast, and once that happens, there is huge string movement leading to shredding and breakage. I was talked out of my old reliable Gamma TNT 17 which I've used for 13 years with the etherial promise of touch and feel. That was true for the first 3 hours of very moderate play. The Dynamic Tension tool I use tested at 37 when it was strung at 61 lbs. After 4 gentle outings, the Dynamic Tension crashed to 29 lbs. For comparison, a racquet I had last strung 5 years ago with Gamma's TNT 17's tests at a DT of 29. Once the tension goes, these strings move like crazy and start to shred. You're fixing the strings every couple of points. I found this to be not durable at all.

Comments: I don't understand all the hype about this string. It's not a bad string, but it plays more like a low end string costing much less. The feel is not bad, but nothing exceptional. Control is OK too, but again nothing to rave about. Durability is a question mark; I've only played with it about 3 hours. However, the strings do move a fair amount, so surely it's losing tension. I switched from Tecnifibre Red Code, and regret it. Live Wire is not softer or as powerful as red code, nor offers any enhanced control. I was so excited to try this string, but would recommend skipping it altogether. You can buy a much better string for the same price. If you want a similar string to this, you can buy 3 sets of cheapo stuff for the price of this.
From: Mark, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 01/10

Comments: I strung it on a Head Liquidmetal Radical Midplus at 59 lbs. It has a better feel, louder pop and more spin than the original synthetic string. The string doesn't break in 18x20 but becomes dead after 3 weeks (2-3 hours per week). You can still use it if you hit harder at the center.
From: Edwin, HK 08/09

Comments: As an old fan of the original Live Wire 17, I figured I'd give the XP as try. It is not as soft and does not have the feel of the original. The durability is there, but I think this takes away from the feel. Going back to more of a "ball feel" string. I play with a Wilson K Tour 90 strung at 62 lbs. NTRP level 4.5
From: Josh, Milford, CT. 4/09

Comments:Soft strings and absolutely amazing. The pop after the strings get broken in is a bonus to the amazing feel and control you get. But they break VERY EASILY. It broke in a week and then it broke a month later after it was restrung.
From: Dave, IL, USA, 10/08

Comments: I am a 4.0 all court player who plays a lot of doubles as well. I had been using the Gamma Pro 16, which I just loved. When I tried this string, only due to the fact that my stringer was out of my beloved Gamma Pro, he suggested the XP. The first time I tried it, I thought I was in heaven. There was so much pop and control, but then I realized that I was playing with very soft balls, and when I tried the strings on harder faster balls it was like hitting with a board. There was very little feel, and I found that I could not hit with the power or crispness that I was used to. Needless to say I am back to using the Gamma Pro. If you like a softer, feeling string, the XP is not for you!
From: Suzi, Vancouver, B.C., Canada. 3/08

Comments: Excellent string if you prefer feel and control. I bought the new Prince O3 Speedport Tour and strung it with the Live Wire XP17 to 61 lbs. It feels exceptionally crisp. The ball comes right out of the racket with more spin then I could imagine. It gives me that extra control than Gamma TNT Pro Plus and Wilson NXT that I used before.
From: James Chan, Hong Kong. 11/07

Comments: I like how this sting feels. I did not like it at first, but after a couple of hours play, it started to feel real good. Nice pop but they are not very durable and not the best for topspin, but I don't have any trouble generating top (even with tighter string beds, thicker strings) so not a big deal for me.
From: Christian, San Francisco, CA, USA, 04/07

Comments:XP plays great. Used it for years and it always plays true. If you like the mushy feel of a soft string like the Tecnifibre (like a 60's Caddy) than XP is not for you. Hey, you guys that think it loses its tension, your probably playing your string too long, restring every 3 to 4 weeks (recreational players) and you won't have any problems with this string. It plays like a Porsche drives, you can feel the road and it handles great.
From: Dan, Wilmington, NC USA 06/05

Comments: Durability was ok, but it's not as soft as NXT. Wilson NXT allows the ball to stay on the string bed for longer for better control. Also, NXT gives more pop. Even TNT2 allows the ball to stay on the strings for longer and yet gives more feel.
From: Derek, San Francisco, CA, USA. 04/05

Comments: I agree with most everyone else. I liked the string the first few times I played with it. However, it did lose tension, and it frayed and broke after 4 or 5 matches.
From: Robert, SC, USA. 9/03

Comments: I am a coach and college tennis player who has had a chance to demo many different types of strings due to my USRSA membership. I play with an Oversized Ti Radical (better feel than the i.Radical) and normally use Tecnifibre NRG 2 SPL 17 string, but since I break it every 2 days or so, I decided to try out Live Wire XP because of the reviews it has received. I have NOT liked Gamma products in the past, but I decided to put my grudge against Gamma aside to try out this highly touted string. Both my students and I agree that this string is not up to Tecnifibre. We find that it does not suit players who like to hit with heavy topspin. In fact, we've nicknamed it the "shanker string." Try it out, compare it to Tecnifibre and see what I mean. I would probably recommend this string to players who like to hit the ball very flat, but for players who demand spin on their shots, I can't help but give it the thumbs down. On the bright side, I do find this string more durable than Tecnifibre. Hope this review helps.
From: Marcus, Edison, NJ, USA. 8/03

Comments: I purchased the Gamma Live Wire XP 17 strings primarily based on the hype (02-03 USRSA String Survey Ratings - 8.34 avg score compare that to highly touted Babolat VS Touch with a 8.79 avg score). Well after three weeks of playing 4x a week I can say that these strings have lived up to their hype. I knew I couldn't go wrong with Gamma brand but the overall playability of these strings is superb. One of the most comfortable strings I have put on my racquet. As well I don't feel like I sacrificed power for comfort. The feel is great and I can generate a ton of topspin. A great price from TW ($14.50) and I only paid a local stronger $10 to install. For just under $25 I have a sweet set of strings. Im a 4.5 level player.
From: Adam, Cary, NC, USA. 8/03

Comments: It was nice for about 2 weeks, I played with it for about a total of 10 hours. It was really frayed after 10 hours and soon after it popped. It's a really nice string and very comfortable but soon after it feels like you're hitting with a paddle instead of a racquet because of the "dead" feel. Kind of costly, I'm going to try the Head Intellistring next and post my review on that as well.
From: Linchutran, Los Angeles, CA, USA. 5/03

Comments: This string is pretty good.. It has good solid feel, power and much control! But there are a few complaints Id like to bring up, after maybe 10 hours of play or so, it will start moving, lose tension and notch here and there. It's a good string, but the durability is not all that good.
From: Sergey, Rockland County, New York, USA. 5/03

Comments: The Live Wire is very soft, so it feels comfy on your arm. It has a lot of power, but it's also good at generating spin, so it helps you tame some of that power. However, I feel the tension is already dropping a lot after playing with it on 3 occasions (Over 4 days). The crosses are already fraying a lot, and I'm not a string breaker. Overall, the string plays pretty well when new, and continues to play well, but it loses a lot of tension. IMO, it's a little over priced considering it doesn't hold tension that well. If it held tension better it might be worth it. Also, it moves around quite a bit.
From: Dave, Livonia MI. USA 9/02

Comments: I just bought Gamma Live Wire XP 17 to put in my Head Ti Radical Oversize at 63lbs and I love the feel and control over the Gosen OG Sheep string I had before. I mainly play a topspin game with a focus on control rather than power, so this works out great!
From: Niko, Seattle, WA. USA 6/02

Comments: I am a 4.5 NTRP level player and I tried the Gamma Live Wire XP 17. It has good feel and power at the right tension (58-60) but seems to lack ability to hold its tension very long and isn't as durable as I had expected it to be. I also used the Gamma TNT Pro plus 17, it is everything you can look for in a string. Very soft feel but gives good power on groundstrokes and net play.
From: Greg, Newnan, GA. USA 6/02

Comments: I absolutely love this string! I am a high-school player who plays every day. I would recommend this string to any intermediate to advanced player looking for a good string to get spin with.(I play with a Head Titanium Radical Oversize)
From: Leo, Glendale, AZ, USA 2/01