Forten Aramid Gear String Customer feedback

Comments: After only 1 set of doubles, the Aramid mains are already notched halfway through! It does have good comfort and control, but I definitely prefer Ashaway Crossfire for much better durability and spin. I always use polyester crosses, perhaps that makes the difference.
From: Sander

Comments: If you're a string breaker, you may like these strings. They seem very strong (as in harsh), as it plays like a board and the string movement is way too much for my liking. I cut them out immediately after one play. My elbow was quite sore as well. There's no touch, but great spin and powerful (too much power for me as an all-court player). If you're a power baseliner, it may be better suited for you. I strung it at 52/55 lbs in my Donnay X-Gold 94.
From: Larry, 12/12

Comments: I'm a big fan of these strings--probably the best spin and durability for the $$. You definitely have to pay attention to the recommendation about stringing the kevlar mains at a significantly lower tension than the crosses. I go 50# on the mains and 58# on the crosses on my Wilson BLX 6.1. But I like the way it plays. I have to admit, if I had my choice I would probably play a poly/gut combo--but I don't want to spend that much money (and I doubt it would affect my scores that much). But it's a great deal.

Comments: I've used this string for a while now and love it on clay surfaces that break weaker string sooner. I've been putting the Kevlar in the crosses 10% lower than the synthetic gut mains and loving it. Way cheaper than a poly hybrid and just as much spin with more durability.
From: Jeb, 3/12

Comments: This is the best string ever. For months I thought you had stopped making this string and I went to the forten sweet 16. That string was really bad on my arm and elbow. I am ordering this string at 10 at a time.

Comments: I used to break strings every 2 weeks, until I came across these from a friend and I averaged closer to 2 months. I just broke my strings last night and it lasted all summer so 9 months total! I realized I was down to my last set of tennis strings, so I ordered more, the last 12 they had because I'm worried about them stopping making them (but it looks like they will have more in 3 days). I also hope they never stop making them. It took me awhile, but I have a STRANGE tension setup that works for me, I string it at 40lbs main, and 54 lbs cross. Sounds strange, but it's where my sweet spot is for those strings. IE on problend hybrid I string it at 52 lbs main, and 54 lbs cross.
From: James, Summerville, SC, USA, 12/10

Comments: Strung it @ 55lbs(mains) and @ 53lbs(cross). Extreme topspin (the strings move A LOT) and lasted me right about 13+ hours. I'm satisfied overall and definitely would come back to these. Thinking about trying the Ashaway Crossfire II and compare it with Aramid Gear. Great string!
From: yoshitoshi, S.E. Asia. 5/10

Comments: Great bite, decent power (at a lower tension), and nice control. The only downside to this is durability. I play about 3 times a week for 2 hours and these have only lasted me for about 5 hours. Found these to be the least durable aramid strings on the market. I'd rather go w/Prince Pro Blend if you're seriously looking for durability. Other than that, these are fairly nice strings w/great playability (better than Pro Blend). I strung these on a ksix-one 95 at 50lbs (kevlar main) & 57lbs (synth. gut cross). I recommend using string savers if you're a hard hitter and playing against other big hitters.
From: Eric, CA, USA, 10/08

Comments: I played these strings for a year, and here are my conclusions. Great bite (you can really tell a difference on kick serves and slices), and it lasts forever (it's not unusual that the crosses will wear/break before the mains with this string) - but it has an extremely harsh response and makes your stringbed feel like a board. I have since switched to poly for better feel and response.
From: David, Deerfield, IL, USA. 5/08

Comments: If you're coming from using Synthetics, please don't cry here and say - OUCH, my shoulders hurt, of course they will. What do you expect? Doesn't matter how old you are, aramid-based strings are very stiff and they will kill your shoulder/arm/elbow if you're not careful. Give yourself time to adapt to the string before you start wailing at the ball like you're used to. Simple common sense will help you appreciate this great string set. They're durable, great feel, generates a lot of spin AND! The gears don't wear out much at all... they'll last as long as the strings (takes me 2-3 weeks to break these monsters).
From: Anon, Bradenton, FL, USA. 4/07

Comments: Ouch! I'd never had any problems with my shoulder, elbow, wrist, etc. when I switched from Prince Syn gut to this stuff. While I don't know if I could ever break the Aramid mains, and it is easy to generate spin, I can't justify using this anymore. My arm felt sore for a few days after using Gear. I had to ice down and take Aleve. I'm an athletic 27yr old, and that's not acceptable. Practicing my serve was a lesson in torture. If you can keep the ball on the sweet spot EVERY time, you may be okay, but one off-center hit is enough to send a Richter-scale vibration up your arm that you won't soon forget.
From: Charles, Las Vegas, NV, USA. 10/06

Comments: This string is probably the best string I have ever used. It's cheap and lasts fairly long. After about two of playing the gears on the strings do wear off so you have to put a little more arm into your shots to get the same spin. For me these strings last about a month so there pretty good. I am a High school senior and I play at the one doubles position. If you're looking for a cheap spin friendly string go with this.
From: Matt, Milwaukee, Wi, USA 04/06

Comments: How or where I found out about this string is really a mystery to me now. I am in my mid 40's and play solid 4.0 tennis, and can't imagine every using anything else now. I remember a mate had some sort of titanium or kevlar strings and he raved about how long they lasted. I guess I just looked for kevlar and found Forten. I string my own racquets (Prince Tungsten Hornet) and this stuff is easy to string with. It's got a very soft comfortable feel and the tension lasts for three months for me. I play 3 times a week or more. I string my mains at 52lbs and my crosses at 66lbs for good control and I still get a lot of pop on my serves. Great spin control is another benefit of using these. I pray they never stop making them!!!
From: Tracy 9/30
Houston, TX USA

Comments: Overall the best playing and longest lasting string that I have played with. Provides good control and retains tension well. Very solid feel, however, easy on the arm. This string lasted twice multifilament for me without any of the trampoline effect. I am 4.0 player that hits with a lot of spin and have been a frequent string breaker. Strung at 55lbs for mains and 60 lbs. for crosses.
From: Steve, Turlock, CA, USA. 11/04

Comments: This string is a "best kept secret" of tennis equipment. I'm a 40-something intermediate player who has played tennis for only about 5 years now. I'm passionate about the game and of an analytical mindset. In the effort to optimize my equipment I strung up my Head I-tour MP racquet with this stuff and it literally transformed my game. I can't say enough about the increase in spin and control I have seen. For this kind of performance, I'd pay a lot of money, but guess what--I don't have to! That's the other great thing--the price! If you're trying to decide to buy it or not, for how cheap it is, it's not even a gamble. I'd recommend anyone to try this string.
From: Paul, Marie, Michigan, USA. 10/04

Comments: I've been stringing for about 3 years now and have experimented with many different stings. I've found this to be an awesome string to string and play with. It is very inexpensive. Heck, the crosses brake before the mains. That's the only downside. So to compensate I use a different, not so elastic cross. Other than that, this string kicks butt.
From: Chris, NC, USA. 4/04

Comments: At first I thought "you only get what you pay for," and this weird "gear" stuff came at a bargain. I'm also a high school varsity player, and I got to say this is up there with the TNT2, Sweet Perfection, and Infinity 17. I'd say it's on par with Intellistring, except it's not as soft and costs 1/3 the price. Try it out!
From: Ben, Hacienda Heights, CA, USA. 2/04

Comments: I started to use Forten strings when my strings broke and my coach strung my racquet with Forten strings. I saw a big improvement in my game. Thank you
From: Forten!
Daniel, LA, CA, USA. 7/03

Comments: This string is a bargain. It is durable and develops a very stable string bed that helps a lot in control. The main Kevlar string gives you the extra bite on the ball and enhance the spin effect as you wish. Most important, it is cheap. The downside of this string are mushy feeling and rough to shoulder (especially after practicing serve ). i.e. you have to build up your muscles. I use it to string up my Wilson ProStaff 85 in 48main/58cross. Yes, you have to lower the tension of main by 20% Vs. the cross to get the best performance out of it.
From: Ron, Hong Kong. 6/03

Comments: This is the best string for me, an all-court player with fairly flat strokes who needs help generating topspin. I am too old to radically change my strokes to add a lot of spin. The string is not very lively but I'll add the power myself, thank you very much. Gear is the only string that turns the ball over and helps me keep it in the court with good control.
From: Bob, Huntsville, AL. USA 2/03

Comments: I recently switched to a Volkl Quantum 10 Tour which has a dense 18x20 string pattern and 98 inch head. While very happy with the comfortable feel and precise control this racquet gave me, I found that my balls were flying much straighter than usual and then I was framing too many balls trying to alter my stroke for more spin. This string was the perfect prescription for that particular equation. I now swing bigger, with more confidence rather than trying to massage the ball down into the court. I play 3-5 times per week and restring every 8-10 weeks. Have not broken a string during play yet. The kevlar gear profile is for real, it's actually sharp enough to hurt my finger tips a bit when straightening between points. I bought 8 more sets after trying the first set.
From: Jack, Chicago, IL. USA 10/02

Comments: The reason I spent time to write this is because Forten has been so helpful for me in all of my tournaments. Since I used the Forten Aramid Gear, my serve has more kick and spin. Also it gave me more friction on my groundstrokes; it doesn't matter which spot on the court. I feel very confident on every shot. My game has improved so much, I still cannot acknowledge that it is my skill. Now with Forten, I can face players with 5.0-5.5 NTRP levels with no problems. Also Forten strings last for a long time. This is the string for everybody; including beginner, intermediate, advance, or pro. Forten gave me more: friction, power, and confidence. It has also saved me money by its high quality and durability.
From: Jay Phan, Roanoke, VA. USA 5/02

Comments: This is the best string I have ever used, bar none. I have been using it for the last 4-5 years, I've tried other string (Ashaway Crossfire, Wilson Sensation, Prince Topspin, etc) and they just don't perform or "feel" anywhere near as good. This string provides wicked spin capability, has excellent feel, and lasts very long. I'm going to start using string-savers (locks), so it should last about 3 times as long, and I'll even get MORE spin. I can't think of anyone who shouldn't try these out. You can't afford not to!
From: Daniel, Fairfield, IA. USA 2/02

Comments: The first time I used this string, I thought this would be rough for my shoulders. Especially, because I am having an injury on my right shoulder. But the effect was different, I was not having problems on my shoulder but the opponent is having problem on catching the ball. I can now play with my heavy topspins comfortably because the string itself could generate more spin... I think this is the best string for baseliners with heavy topspins.
From: Francis, Philippines

Comments: I am a varsity high school tennis player who plays with a lot of power and spin. This string lives up to everything it says. It is way better than Prince Problend or other kevlar strings because it feels better, it's very durable, and it gets more spin than any other string I know. When I strung this string for the first time my deep slice backhand was unreturnable...it would skid on the baseline and barely even bounce. No string breaker I know does not like this string. Forten should promote it more..it is one of the only strings to surpass it's hype.
From: Austin, Houston, TX. USA

Forten Aramid Gear String - Where to go from here

Forten String Sets
Best Values (Price vs Performance)
Hybrid Tennis String