Lobster Elite 3 Portable Ball Machine Customer feedback

Comments: I have a major problem with the machine turning off on its own after feeding 8-10 balls. It costs too much to send back all the way to California for repairs. I was told I needed a new battery, so I put a new one in and it still shuts down on its own. There tech-support wasn't much help either. They were going to call back with tips and never did!!
From: Ron, 7/12

Comments: I've had my Lobster elite now for over 6 years. They are invaluable for lessons/drilling as well. The remote control is not worth the $$. It works only 1/2 the time and never from baseline to baseline distance. I've replaced the battery several times and even replaced the remote unit itself (which Lobster sent at no charge). This company has excellent customer service and followup. The machine itself is amazing. It will kick out slice and topspin that only 4.5+ players can produce. The 2 line feature is weak, however, I "get" what they were after in designing it into this model. Access to the electronics, motors and guts of the machine is easy making it a simple task to vacuum out ball fuzz and wheel dirt, or address loose/broken wires or contacts. To improve range/performance of the remote unit (located inside machine) I drilled a very small hole in side of machine and pulled the remote antenna through so it sticks out the side of the machine. It did give me a little more reliability and range with the key fob remote control. It will make you warranty void though. I work on my own stuff so the warranty mattered not to me. One last thing: Don't expect ANY trade-in value to get a new machine. Lobster will CRUSH you on that. I will eventually buy a newer model of Lobster and donate this elite to a high school/junior program. All in all I would give this machine 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments: I have had my Lobster 3 for almost 2 years now (next month)! I was unhappy at the beginning because the remote didn't work, but I survived with no remote! With all the rest I was very happy until now, because I have a real problem with the electric "thing"(where it is transforming the power into speed) that is making the balls move! Please, someone tell me what is the name of that part, so that I can order it! Thank you!
From: Angela, Bucharest, Romania 04/10 (Angela, we do not stock electrical replacement parts but you can contact Lobster directly at 1-800-210-5992 with your model number and they will surely be able to help you.)

Comments: I believe this is the best way to improve strokes. You can keep adjusting your strokes until you get it right. It's a great tool to improve timing as well. Within 2 days of using Elite 3, I already noticed significant improvement. Very time efficient. My wife and I are at about the same level. It's really hard to improve unless we play against better players. Well, this machine is that (much) better player. I guess you get the best possible result if you use this machine and get some coaching as well. A good coach can really point you in the right direction and that can make a big difference. I probably won't improve much if I hit 1000 balls the wrong way every day. I chose Elite 3 over Freedom because I imagine the machine won't do me any good at all if it cannot produce spin. I chose Elite 3 over Elite 1 and 2 because of the two-line function. I use the two-line function to practice alternate forehand and backhand, and movement.

Comments: I received this machine as a gift for my sons an 11 & 6 year olds. The machine features are very good. It was very unfortunate that I got the machine just before they came with a new model. Basically the same machine but improved electronics. I tried to get an upgrade for this machine, but the customer service for Lobster is non-existent... When they finally answered they were offering the new machine (turning over the recently acquired machine) at a loss of close to $800.00. The construction of the machine is not great. The handle is very flimsy, the rubber portions on the bottom of the machine came off after a few uses. The inside of the machine was not well screwed and the machine became faulty within perhaps 8 hours of use. I disassemble the machine and put it back together again, taking care of the nuts and bolts and it works very well. The variations are good (not great) the sweep is not the best but acceptable. Spin generation is very good (no under- spin). Learning to place the machine on the court to maximize the potential only takes a couple of attempts. Speed is very good and combined with the spin can be more than challenging. The machine cannot serve to you, but not many machines can. This is not a big negative for the price paid. The battery on the machine is a life saver and makes for some of the shortcomings of the machine. The machine can allow you to use the machine for good 6-8 hours. I purchased the machine with the fast charger and it makes a difference if you are on the run and want to charge your machine fast. I also have the remote control that only has 2 functions: feed and sweep. Although there are other machines with more advanced controls (such as the new model) this control has good range and does enough for me. Carrying the machine is not a great problem as the handle folds and allows you to fit the machine in any car (including my roadster). The machine itself if not very heavy but a bit uncomfortable for a lady (such as my wife) to take in and out of the car, as there is no clear way but to hug it in order to handle it.
From: Charlie, Panama, Rep. of Panama 06/09

Comments: Great machine when itís working properly. I love this machine it does everything you could ask it to do and does it well. Very consistent, no ball jams, good ball speed and spins. However, its extremely delicate and it keeps malfunctioning on me. I've had to ship it back for repairs several times, which is a real hassle. The other complaint that I have is that it lacks a good means by which to lift it such as a comfortable handle.
From: Obi, New York, NY, USA, 11/08

Comments: I love this ball machine. After using it for just a few weeks, everyone on my doubles team could see my improvement. I have now had my Lobster for almost a year and still enjoy all the features and versatility. It is so easy to transport. It is a little heavy, so I try to enlist help getting it in and out of my suv.
From: Sherri, Tracy, CA, USA, 05/07