Donnay X-Dual Gold 99 Racquet Customer feedback

Comments: This is a great stick, but you have to have a full swing. If you are used to the wider and more powerful sticks, then this will feel week. Softer string is the best or it can feel stiff. I am 50 and play 4.5, but feel I need a more powerful racquet and one that can generate some of its own power if I am out of position. Great stick, but just make sure you are a full follow through kind of hitter and you will love it.

Comments: For me, the Gold 99 is the antidote for the excessive power of my former Babolat APD. Fast, full swings will not disappoint. This stick is underpowered with medium-to-slow swing styles. The frame's flexibility has allowed me to use full copoly string beds for the first time in years without the slightest hint of tendinitis. The 19mm flat beam width cuts through the air with effortless ease reminiscent of my 1980s Wilson Pro Staff 6.0. Frame shanks stay in more than with my contoured frames, too. Additionally, the customization capability is a plus. However, a minor irritant -- the original grommets split too easily, too soon. TW sent me a comp grommet set after the original split during the 1st stringing. I also wish the frame came with a leather grip. In sum, I love this stick even though adding premium leather eliminates the savings of buying multiple sticks at a time.
From: Will, 4/14

Comments: I have to concur with Anon. I've been playing with the Head IG Prestige Pro until lately when I switched to a thinner string gauge. My elbow was killing me and I wanted to try a more forgiving racquet, so a friend recommended the Donnay X dual Gold. Plush racquet with an easy swing, but it lacks power. Decent spin and slice, but for some reasons my shots kept going short and tiny. I tried adding the weight, 5 grams then 10 grams in the handle but it didn't help. Going to back to my IG Prestige Pro even if I had to get cold laser or a cortisone shot.
From: Tim, 11/13

Comments: I am usually not the one to write reviews but after hitting with this stick today, I felt like writing one. I am a solid 4.0 playing with a Wilson Pro Staff 95(N Code version) and wanted to try out a new stick as I felt I couldn't whip my forehand with my current stick anymore and was having a hard time changing the direction of the ball. After reading the review from TW, I decided to just go ahead and buy one as nobody I knew carried a demo. Took it out for a hit today, had it strung with ProHurricane (54 lbs) in the mains and NXT in the crosses (52lbs). Playing with this stick is like hitting a tennis ball with a ping pong bat. Very, very boardy. The racquet feels tiny and cannot handle heavy top spin generated by modern sticks. You will end up hitting a lot of balls short and get killed. The serve lacks power. You can hit some angles because of the thin beam and slice is ok. Unless you have a Federer-like swing or can torque your upper body like Djoker or have Nadal-like strength -- don't waste your money on this stick. This particular review was way off in my opinion. I am so disappointed by the feel of this stick , reducing string tension is not on the table for me.

Comments: I am on month 5 with this racquet. It's the best racquet on the market if you don't dig the modern, hollow, stiff, and powerful offerings out there from everyone else. This feels like an old school Pro-Staff 99 giving it a great sweet spot and tons of feel. I like it with soft co-poly's like Topspin Cyber Blue, Yonex Pro Poly Tour, or Weiss Cannon Silverstring at 50lbs. I'm an all court player dubs and singles NTRP 4.5.
From: Mesa, 3/13

Comments: I'm a Head Prestige user making the switch to this racquet. Amazing combo of power, sweetspot, feel, and comfort. My favorite racquet I have ever hit.
From: Mesa, 11/12
String type: poly mains / Prince Premier Attack crosses

Comments: This racquet is awesome, no weakness. Incredible at the net, very accurate tons of spin, this racquet is awesome strung at lower tensions. A must try!
From: Brooks, 6/12
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger ALU power spin, Babolat N.VY, 44/49 lbs

Comments: A must try !!! I think this is a unique racquet. I've tried a whole lot of sticks but this one really stands out for me. What I find most beneficial is the lack of a weakness. No hot spots, no issues with stability, sweet spot is where it's supposed to be, power is very controllable, weight is good for me at 341 (5g butt cap) and there's no limitation in any of the shots I need to hit. The hardest shots for me are the wrist flick topspin approach shot and controlling heavy balls in the mid court. I can do both with this racquet which is a first for me. The one other stroke this racquet has helped me with most is my backhand. I'm hitting the 1 handed drive and slice exceptionally well and most of all consistently. Think 6.1 but forgiving. I really feel the thin beam on serve and forehand. I rarely miss either one of these shots now and I can move the ball around very effectively. And I'm really liking the fact that I can take a full swing on every stroke. The only issue I've found of the 3 racquets I have is the foam in the handle was rattling in one of them. I removed it and the rattle was gone, so not really a problem at all. The grip is very thin so I splurged on a Resipro which is my fav. Last comment is the reviews and comments on this racquet are spot on. I find it interesting that I love this racquet with gut and others prefer poly and hybrids.
From: Racer, 4/12

Comments: This is the second best. This felt right at 11.5oz and with more open string pattern I could produce very good top spin. First flat serves were accurate and second serves had much more kick than expected(I played with k 6.1 tour 90, Babolat Aeropro drive and Head Youtek Speed IG mp 315. Head speed mp 315 is my main racquet). Touch shots are very good. Maneuverability is excellent from all positions in the court. Serve returns were very good. Slices were good but it stays up in the air longer than expected. Once I got used to the backspin behavior I could quickly correct my backhand slice and it was very effective. I like this racquet.
From: Ekan, 4/12

Comments: This is a very nice racquet. This is the first Donnay I ever played. The best thing about this racquet is aerodynamics due to thin beam. Though it is 16x19 the control is great and no string movement at all. I love got this racquet just seeing the spec without demoing. Within first few hits I understood that I cannot hit flat with this racquet. You need to take big swing at the ball to get a stable feel. Smaller swings caused this racquet to be unstable. The dynamics of racquet make it easy to take big swing. But the problem is my BH is not that advanced and I don't swing fast with BH, so this racquet showed me that I need to work on my BH to be effective. Once I learned the trick it fits my game really well. Serves are nice and kick serve with the aero construction is a real weapon. Feel is wonderful, will tell you exactly how u hit the ball. No vibration. No am pain even with full poly at mid tension (56lbs). If you want a racquet that blesses your big swings and discourages your push shots then this is for you.
From: Krish, 3/12

Comments: Went out on a whim and just bought this racquet without demoing it. Have to say it was a awesome choice. I've demoed lots of racquets over the last 9months and this is by far the best on touch, comfort, control, power, and feel. Others I had demoed were lacking in one or more department. Still had enough plow through to get the job done with pace and a heavy ball. TW was out of the customize kit, but will send it when they get it back in stock. Can't wait to tweak with the weight and balance to see what else I can get out of this already amazing stick. Definitely one to demo or buy.
From: Derek, 2/12
String type and tension:Wilson NXT 17, 55lbs

Comments: Solid racquet at net, ground strokes have a muted feel, low power level. Decent racquet but nothing spectacular.
From: Rod, 1/12
String type and tension: Solinco Tour Bite 16L, 57lbs Mains, N.VY 61lbs Crosses

Comments: I decided to demo this racquet and the Platinum because of Donnay's promise to minimize racquet vibration. I had tennis elbow surgery 2 years ago, so playing with a racquets that absorbs vibration in essential for me. After demoing this stick I really liked the feel and control. My practice partner said he noticed more spin on my groundstrokes and serve. I really liked the way this racquet volleys. I play a lot of doubles and spend 95% at the net. This racquet is great for an all around game, but you must be able to generate your own power. I grew up playing with wooden racquets so the thin beam was easy to get used to. My compliments to Donnay for designing a larger head that still allows me to play my style of tennis.
From: Ben, 11/11
String type and tension: Pro Supex Blue Gear Ultra Spin at 56 lbs

Comments: First of all, I love this racquet! The last stick I liked this much was the Wilson BLX 6.1 16x19, but my swing would slow down after an hour or so. It was just a tad too heavy. This Donnay is perfect for me, although it's not light- weight. With an overgrip and just a rubber band dampener mine weighs 342 grams. It has nice power with out being too powerful like a lot of tweeners I demoed. Sweet spot feels to be quite large. Feels great with a multi in the crosses. Spin production is good. Control is great, very predictable. The feel is phenomenal. Passes the goldilocks test in flex. Not too much and not too little. It flexes just enough to let you know whats going on. Volleys are great too. Only gripe is the grip feels almost a whole size small.
From: Rob, 8/11
String Type and tension: Tourna Big Hitter @ 58 lbs

Comments: I originally posted a review of this racquet a few weeks ago. I reported that the racquets Donnay initially sent me did not match the specs on their site (the ones I got were heavier and the balance more head-heavy). I took this up with Donnay, who were exceptionally accomodating. They said I could carry on using them until I received some replacements (which correctly matched the racquet's advertised specs). Once the replacements arrived, I returned the "defective" racquets. Donnay paid the shipping for the replacements. The racquets I have weigh 310g, and the balance is 310mm. I had to go for a grip size 4 (rather than 3) because the grip sizes on these racquets come up smaller than most other brands and I didn't want to add weight by building the grip size up with overgrips. I had spent ages looking for a racquet that matched the precise specs I wanted: circa 310g weight, 310mm balance, thin frame for feel, open string pattern and larger head size. This is the ONLY racquet on the market that matches this spec. All other comparable racquets - for example, the Wilson 6.1 95s (16x18) - are just too heavy and the beam is typically about 21mm, which isn't thin enough for me. Alternatively, there's the Federer Tour version, which is the right thinness, but extremely heavy and has a tiny head. The Gold 99 is the perfect racquet for me. On the court, it took me a few plays to get fully used to it, but I wouldn't swap them for anything now. For such a thin frame, it is still solid and surprisingly powerful. I catch the frame hardly ever. Spin is great, in particular my backhand slice is the most effective it has ever been. The feel of the racquet is its forte; I don't like the modern thick-framed racquets (which is almost all the main brands.)
From: Anonymous. 7/11

Comments: This is such a fun racquet! Donnay definitely made a classic but modern feeling frame for all areas of the court. The racquet has such a nice flex and is not overly stiff. My previous frame was BLX 6.1 and it was great, but I wanted something a bit lighter and softer. If you have a variety of shots, this racquet can do it all. I think the weakness is on the serve because you really need to hit out on the 2nd serves. It's got a lot of pop when needed and great on volleys. I have a one handed backhand so I preferred the 99 over the 94.
From: Gene, 7/11
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast 55 lbs

Comments: I have been using the Head Radical Pro and like it a lot. My doubles partner, just switched to the Donnay Gold 99, and I thought I would try it. I have a serve and volley game. I found the racquet to be without any life. It took a lot of work to make the ball move. I did not find the racquet forgiving, especial if you hit outside of the sweetspot. I may try to restring the racquet at a lower tension and re-try it then.
From: Bob, 7/11
String type and tension: 60lbs

Comments: Coming from the BLX 6.1 95 holding the X-DC GOLD 99 felt like I'd made a huge blunder due to the unconventional design and how it felt. On-court it was just what the doctor ordered. I mean if you are an L4-L6 swinger (baselined) this is paradise. The shots that I'd miss with the powerful stiffer BLX were either outright winners or beautiful set-up shots. It was free-flow hitting, even flat shots were easy to dial-in despite the 16x19 string-pattern. Precision and control are great. Stability wasn't bad, just off center hits tend to produce some vibration. A bit of forearm muscle tenderness post 2hr heavy hitting session, but suspect could be the grip size as it feels smaller than the usual L3 that am accustomed to. Great 1st day of play.
From: Thulani. 07/11
String type and tension:Tecnifibre BC 57m55C

Comments: I recently switched from the Pure Drive to the X-dual Gold 99 and love it. The major difference between this racquet and all others I've tried is whether you are serving or hitting ground strokes, this racquet produces a heavy ball, one you opponents will hate. It's not a beginners stick though.
From: Tim. 7/11
String type and tension: Synthetic Gut @ 57 lbs

Comments: I heard so many good things about this stick that I demoed it. 1st serves were not near as consistent or with that of my customized Youtek Radical MPs or stock Youtek Prestige MPs but I got much more action on my lefty slice serves (probably due to being 16 x 19) with the Gold 99. Also, I didn't have the pinpoint placement as with my Head sticks on groundies and volleys. Bottom line after a few minutes, I knew the Donnay wasn't the best fit for my game.
From: Anonymous. 7/11

Comments: I just switched to this racquet from the AeroPro GT therefore I will be doing a review, positive/negatives to that racquet and the Donnay Gold. The Donnay is a very sturdy, solid racquet great feel and control. In comparison with the AeroPo I liked my serves and plow through better with the Donnay Gold 99. The Gold 99 really comes through to contact the ball with a soild feel the causes the ball to penetrate the court. Topspin was lacking in comparison with the AeroPro. I felt I exchanged my spinny ball that kicked up high for a ball with more heft that kicked through the court. I noticed that I really have to use the weight of my body and focus on proper technique to use this racquet to its full potential. I found the donnay gold 99 to be less maneuverable than my AeroPro. Overall I like the Donnay Gold 99 and it will be my new racquet of choice. I would recommend this racquet only to those with strong, powerful, full strokes with proper technique.
From: Colby. 7/11
String type and tension: Prince Beast @ 52lbs

Comments: Great Racquet.I have been using the Wilson BLX blade 98 ever since it came out which is also a great racquet but somehow I always managed to hit the frame so was looking for something thinner. The Donnay X-Dual Core Gold 99 has similar specs so I thought I give it a try and WOW my Service is better and slice is also great. Touch and feel are comparable to the Wilson but the Donnay has more pop. I love the cosmetics and great finish of the racquet. At the clubhouse it was an eye catcher.
From: Roger. 6/11
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU Power/Luxilon Big Banger Rough @ 57/55 lbs

Comments: This is a great racquet. The feel is its forte. It takes a while to get used to playing with a racquet that has real old school flex to it, but give it time and you'll get there. The extremely thin beam is deceptive - this racquet has plenty of power. The open string pattern allows great access to spin. There is a gap in the market for racquets like this, and Donnay have done well by spotting it. The one thing I will say is this: the racquets I bought from Donnay direct do not match the spec on the website. Mine are 318 g, and the balance is about 320. This is very annoying, as the weight should be 310 and the balance 315. It makes a difference. Also, I ordered a grip size 3, but it seems this is smaller than the standard 3, so I will need to get grip size 4. I took this up with Donnay, who reassured me by saying that they will ship out replacements for me if I wish. However, I live in the UK, so it makes it problematic arranging for the replacements and I will be in touch with Donnay in the next few days to see what they can do to assist. So, great racquets (subject to the spec issue) and a good company to deal with (so far!). I can recommend getting your hands on a dual Core racquet - whichever one suits you.
From: Barney. 6/11
String type and tension: Cyberflash Blue mains, Prince Synthetic Gut crosses.

Comments: I love this racquet. I have been using the Wilson BLX Six.One 95. It is also an excellent racquet, but just a tad too heavy for me. I find the Donnay X-Dual Gold 99 plays similarly, but is a little lighter, has a little more power, slightly larger sweet spot, more access to spin and more maneuverable. Touch and feel are comparable to the Wilson.
From: Bill. 6/11