Kirschbaum Competition 17L 660 Reel (1.20) Customer feedback

Comments: Thumbs down for me. I strung it at 51 pounds in my PS 90 6.1 and was not impressed. Didn't get much pop and the spin was just average. Control was fine, it just was a little dead for me. Might be better for a powerful racquet or a player that swings away with each stroke. I will be moving on from this one. This was my first Kirschbaum. Maybe I'll try another model before I cast a broad indictment.

Comments: I've been using this string for more than 5 years and haven't found any reason to change. Spin, control, durability, and power. Perhaps not the best in any single category but the sum of all the parts makes Competition 1.20 peerless. I just wish it were available in other colors.
From: Sander, 7/12

Comments: I hate to use superlatives, but this string is the best one I've found to-date -- and I've been through around a dozen. When stringing it, I really thought I wouldn't like. Didn't have much play to it, felt like wire. Was expecting it to be lifeless and like a board in the racquet (Head Extreme MP). Put it in at 55# and was amazed. Excellent control, excellent feel, just the right amount of power (I probably could try it in the low 50s and be fine), no bad trampoline effect, a very nice "whomp" sound on hard groundstrokes, just the right amount of spin.... Will be curious to see how long it stays lively. Plus: no arm pain. Very impressed. If it maintains liveliness for a while (my biggest complaint with polys), I'll buy a reel.
From: Marty, 2/12

Comments: For many months now I have been a big fan of Kirschbaum ProLine II 1.15 mains with Gosen Sheep Micro 17 crosses (49/55). Decided to try the Competition in the mains as a comparison and my initial thoughts are that it is a very impressive string. Power, control, and spin were all just as good as the PLII and the power maybe was even better. Kirschbaum sure knows how to make a great co-poly string.
From: Jon, Milwaukee 06/09

Comments: I simply love this string. My game is basically around finesse with a mixture of hitting with topspin and flat. This string can deliver the goods. I am used to Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 17 before golfer elbow hit me. Changed to Pro Kennex which works like medicine to my arm and decided to take advantage of TW offer sample pack ($19.99 for 3 sweet cherries!). Strung one of my racquets with Competition at very low tension (45lbs) and surprisingly enough there was great response. Despite the low tension, the string doesn't move one bit and still managed to have a lot of control. Mind you, I am using Pro Kennex KI 5.
From: Gino, Long Beach, CA, USA. 5/07

Comments: I use a Prince NXG Graphite OS and have it strung at 26kgs on both the mains and crosses. This string needs a few games of "breaking in" but after that this is a fantastic string. It doesn't feel any harder than a normal synthetic gut, there's hardly any string movement when playing, you get lots of spin and has good control, touch and feel. It keeps its tension well and is very durable. Can't ask for anymore in a string - will be staying with this one!
From: Peter
London, United Kingdom 12/05

Comments: I am currently using Kirshbaum Competition in the mains and synthetic gut in the crosses strung at 72lbs. Feels great and is very durable. Definitely worth trying.
From: Bob, Austin, TX, USA. 11/05

Comments: These strings do not notch much and are very durable. I also get exceptional feel and spin with these strings. I do not have any problems with tension loss. I would have to say that the Kirschbaum Competition 17 string rivals the Luxilon Big Banger TiMO 17.
From: Eric, Los Angeles, CA, USA. 11/05

Comments: I strung this stuff up tight in my Dunlop 200G XL (it looks great with the gold-and-black paint job), and I must agree with Sean from Florida - it definitely needs a few hours of "breaking-in". After you do that, it plays like butter - VERY SOFT and comfy, powerful, and it doesn't move around at all. I usually use Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18, and I would say that Competition 17 is really similar to it, although Ace 18 provides more feel/feedback. I imagine that this could also be coupled with some multifilament or gut to make a killer hybrid.
From: Damon, Burlington, VT, USA. 11/05

Comments: This is certainly my favorite string. After this string settles down a day or so after stringing then it really plays crisp and soft. The smaller gauge is nice because I have such a dense string pattern. I feel like I get the benefits of a lower gauge without sacrificing durability. I have been stringing the poly in the mains with a stamina 18 gauge cross.
From: Sean, Stuart, Florida, USA.

Comments: This string provides tremendous spin and lots of touch and control at the net. My opponents have commented how improved my shots are. The feel is fantastic and that the strings don't move at all is a great plus. Love this string and I've tried lots of others! Strung at 56 lbs.
From: Lawrence, Singapore. 02/05

Comments: Good Feeling for a polyester string, good power and control. A little bit harsh on the arm and it lasts forever.
From: GG, Weston, Florida, USA. 02/05

Comments: Wow - just used Kirschbaum Competition for the 1st time. Played in a 4.5 tourney and loved the crisp control and power. I used Super Smash Spikey 16 for 3 years and the Touch Turbo 17 for the last yr. The Competition is a great string. It plays somewhere between the soft Touch Turbo and Super Smash Spikey.
From: Stephen, Bellevue, WA, USA. 6/04

Comments: I am currently using the Wilson Pro Staff Original 6.0 racquets because I love the touch they have and I think they are stylish because they are so old, and I like to think Iím more stylish than everyone else. I use the Kirschbaum Competition in them and I was amazed at the amount of feel they have for polyester strings. I am a hard hitting player and I have had troubles in the past with strings breaking prematurely, but these last me longer than any string Iíve tried apart from Kevlar, of course. The strings hardly move from their original position either, which further prevents notching. I will definitely be using these strings for a long time. I give them a 9 out of 10.
From: Josh, South Australia. 3/04

Comments: I just bought a 200m spool of this string and Iíve strung 3 of my racquets with it, and I love it. It is great for power and spin, and I am a chronic string breaker, but this string lasts me at least 5 hours, which is great.
From: Doug, Mt. Gambeir, Australia. 2/04

Comments: This is the only polyester string I play with. It has great feel and is easy on the arm. Its tension maintenance is also excellent. This string provides great spin, power, and control. Is there anything else you can ask from a durability string?
From: Bo, Atlanta, GA, USA. 1/04

Comments: I switched to the Kirschbaum Competition from the Super Smash Honey. It has a softer feel but retains the power and durability of the Super Smash Honey. This is a great string for people who play a lot and are looking for playability and durability.
From: Thad, New York, New York, USA. 12/03