Babolat Xcel French Open Black 16 String Reel Customer feedback

Comments: I'm looking for a multi to make a hybrid kinder on my elbow. I've tried this one in the crosses with Kirschbaum Max Power Rough in the mains, both at 54 pounds in a Wilson Blade 98 (16x19). I loved the feeling and touch, a bit overpowered compared to a full poly, but ok. My only concern was duration, it lasted only 2 matches and I'm not a frequent string breaker (at least with polys). I'll keep looking for the perfect multi, I want it to last at least twice as long!
From: Marco, 8/16

Comments: Really heard mixed reviews for the Babolat Xcel French Open 16g strings. I really enjoyed the soft feel of the string in a full bed at 55 lbs on my Babolat Pure Aero team racquet. I had good control and could place great spin on the racquet. Now the bad news! I only received about 4 hours of playing time before they broke. I was holding the racquet and the strings broke! Can't afford to pay the price for such limited play.

Comments: I've been told by TW personnel (who I'm sure are relying on Babolat product description) that the French Open black version of the 16g Excel is the same as the original blue one. It is not! I've been playing with the same string setup on all three of my racquets, VS gut in mains and Excel blue in crosses. Decided to try the French Open black version just for looks and strung it identical to my other racquets (I string myself). From the first stroke the steingbed felt mushy and lacking in some power. Played with it for one hour then changed to another racquet. That night I just cut out the black excel crosses and replaced them with the original blue excel at same tension, even double checked my machine to insure It hadn't lost the calibration, it didn't. Next day I played with the racquet and from the first stroke the crispness was back. Bottom line, even though TW uses the same description and reviews for both version of excel, my personal experience says they are not.
Note from TW: Thanks for the feedback Eric! Sometimes, discrepancies in color can actually make a string feel slightly different, which might be causing a bit of a different feel despite it being similar in construction!

Comments: Very smooth with natural gut-like feel. String this in your mains and pair it with a poly (like Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour) for exceptional power, feel and spin.
From: Daniel, 11/12