Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Handbook Customer feedback

Comments: I have been searching for books to help me with my game because I am to the point in my game where self-coaching is not going to get me any farther. I find that it is filled with too much vague and superfluous information in regards to what I was looking for. It is not a bad book for dealing with the technical aspects and general ideologies of tennis, but it is not something you would want to buy if you are in a similar situation as me. I rented it from my local library, and I would suggest doing the same thing before you foot the bill for the book.
From: Taylor, Farmington, NM, USA, 10/10

Comments: I am just getting back into tennis after a 20-year layoff and found this book to provide me with a heap of technical information that I needed to know to help me select the correct racquet, head size, grip size, etc. I tried the step-by-step power serve that Nick described and it took a few games but I got it. Obviously I will need an experienced coach to fine tune this and other shots as well as time on court playing and practicing. Generally I found the book very helpful and informative. If you are keen to improve, have the time and an open mind then this book will help your game.
From: Nick, Sydney, NSW, Australia. 5/08

Comments: Like many tennis players I have read a lot of tennis books. I feel this book is difficult to use in bettering your game and really is a long-winded book that tries hard to get you into one of the costly tennis camps Nick is running. Did I find useful things in the book to help me and ideas about tennis that helped? I have to say yes, but in general the book is poor in the instructional area and tends to talk too much about the courses that are offered. Also, I found that, in general, techniques are talked about but really never seem to get to the point of helping you use the technique. An example would be something like the powerful serve. The importance of a great serve is made clear, but I did not find much that instructed me in how I could make my serve better. The same is true for most of the techniques. It seems to me that this book is a very large sales book that explains the importance of good technique and why you should buy the videos or come to the camp to learn the methods. The fact is the book should be able to get you to better your technique not tell you to come and get the method from a different format. I know a book can not be like an instructor next to me but I am only buying a book not a school. If you have the money, it's an OK book but there are better ones for your game.
From: Frank Riley, Sacramento, CA, USA. 11/07

Comments: Agreed with Julia too. This book does focus on principles and grips too much. Itís too big with too much useless information. Too much of the book was devoted to promoting their camp. Go with Serious Tennis instead, I should've chosen that one instead. I regret my mistake deeply. What a waste.
From: Arai. 8/07

Comments: It is a very good book with lots of information on everything you would want to know from drills to techniques
From: Shane, London, UK. 2/06

Comments: Amen to Julia. This book was disappointing. It needs big-time editing.
From: Dennis, Chicago, IL, USA. 9/05

Comments: Such a heavy book with not enough information. I have the handbook and three NBTA videos (Killer Forehand, Sonic Serve, and Bollistic Backhand). The instructions from the videos and the handbook do not live up to my expectation of the NBTA's reputation. Although the new "modern" day tennis techniques and training are new and interesting, but they don't help me improve my game. On the other hand, the consistency and correction tips I learned from viewing a few Vic Braden's old videos, which I borrowed from the local library are more useful and less time consuming. The handbook is badly organized and written. There are many repeated sections: the same information presented only slightly differently and sometimes the information is repeated verbatim. There is a section referring to recovery and shot selections where shot #1, 2, and 3 were mentioned without defining and referencing what shot #1,2, and 3 were, or discussing undeveloped and unrelated topics within a section. These are just few of examples of poor editing that caused some confusion and annoyance. The handbook does provide some useful concrete information and pictures for illustration. However, it tends to be heavy on principles and approaches without the specifics or examples expounding on how to make them applicable and useful for readers. The 433-page book probably can be condensed by half with better organization (as well as the video production- with the Killer Forehand video being most distracting of the three). Although I reference the book and it could be informative, $24.95 is overpriced for the usefulness of the information until it is edited, proofread, and rewritten.
From: Julia, Dallas, TX, USA. 10/04

Comments: It is really a fantastic book. I am reading it and my game has really improved.
From: Ayhan, CA, USA. 5/03

Comments: This is a great book. It wraps up Bollettieri's entire video series into a book, which you can keep with you at all times. It also adds information on a typical workout day. A must have.
From: Chris, Tacoma, WA, USA 11/01