Babolat Pure Storm GT Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: I have an older Pure Storm that I like a lot, so I bought this one. The older PS has a wider head and can generate a lot more spin. This tour spin is a very solid frame but after hitting it I had the same opinion others did. I just can't generate a lot of power with this racquet. It's a very stable frame but it just feels stiff to me. I have ended up switching over the Head Radical MP and Microgel which have a lot more flexibility. Still go out and give this a demo; but I would try out the Dunlop Biommetic F4 and Head Radicals all side by side to see which one works.
From: Walter, 10/14

Comments: I have been playing tennis for 32 years, and this GT frame is a very nice, balanced racquet. On my ground strokes, the racquet moves through the "hitting zone" with ease, especially on the backhand side. As others have commented, I am also able to add topspin rather easily with the GT Pure Storm. I used to be a solid 4.0 baseliner, but now I just want to be a consistent player. I have played with various Wilson, Head, Yonex, and Tecnifibre racquets that weigh between 295- 305 grams over the past six to seven years. This GT Pure Storm is the best racquet for me because the GT provides me with a consistent response. One can always get more power from a racquet by using a lower string tension. I am currently playing with Volkl Power Feel 17 strings at 56 pounds. If you want consistency, give this racquet a try.
From: Marc, 10/13

Comments: I started using this racquet recently with RPM Blast. The first thing I noticed was the amount of spin I could generate with this racquet, I was able to make players off balance with deep, top-spinning balls. I also had great control with it and could direct the ball. The one problem I did have was that, even with the powerful string, there wasn't quite as much power generated from this racquet as I had hoped, you really need to generate your own power. Volleys felt very good, a lot of control. Overall this is a great racquet, I would recommend it!
From: Hamish, 7/13

Comments: I decided to get help remaking my ground strokes from flat/slice to adding heavy topspin. It took a while but this racquet was a big part of the process. The access to additional spin really opened up the court for great angles and more power. Ground strokes and serves improved immediately. Volleys were a little adjustment but it still provided good feel and control. With the addition of Solinco Tour Bite strings its taken my game to 4.5 with more room for improvement.

Comments: After using various heavy control racquets, including the Tecnifibre TFight 325, Prince EXO3 Graphite 93 and two custom Vantage racquets, I tried the PST Original and loved it. Every aspect of my game improved with this stick. After a few months I decided to get the GT version and it feels firmer and plays better in my opinion. I love hitting with this racquet. My playing style is heavy topspin with power and accuracy. The strings I've used and tried are Babolat RPM Blast at 52lbs, Prince Beast XP at 52lbs and Luxilon Big Banger Original at 52lbs.

Comments: This is my favorite raquet from Babolat. A good balance between power and control with good access to spin. Agaisnt heavy hitters, I would recommend adding some lead. I added 5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 (2, 5 on each side) and 1 gram at '12. With this setup, the racquet is very stable and gives me good access to spin. If you hit more flat then probably you won't need to add much weight. Overall a very good racquet.
From: Peter, 5/13

Comments: I demoed this racquet for fun. I use the Head Youtek IG Speed MP 300 and it was very similar from volleys to baseline strokes until it came to serve. You just need to provide the gas for this racquet on the serve. My serves were way to short and not landing over the net. That was my only downside of this racquet and the feel was nice and solid from the baseline as well. I give it a 7 out of 10.
From: Kacey, 3/13

Comments: Coming from the Youtek Radical 18x20 MP, I found the transition to the Pure Storm quite easy. The access to spin is the most notable difference which allows me to keep balls in on power forehands and second serves. I have always believed that technique outweighs equipment, but this racquet has been an absolute game changer for me.
From: Blair, 1/13

Comments: Definitely my favorite Babolat stick, and I tried quite a few of them. It has good spin access, but as opposed to the Aero Pro I didn't have to roll every ball in to keep it in the court. It's good on serves as well, surprisingly good for slices, decent for volleys though that's not it's strongest area. It has better touch than most Babolat sticks, though I wouldn't label it as a touch racquet. It's Solid all around, and probably best suited to an aggressive baseliner. As most Babolat racquets it has a plush feel to it probably due to the Woofers, though I would prefer it to be a bit more direct.
From: Patrick, 12/12

Comments: I enjoyed reading some of the reviews here, especially the one by Christian from Australia. I demo'ed this racquet 3 months ago, and I thought I suddenly turned from a 3.5 into a 4.0 player! So I bought it and asked the store to string the racquet exactly like the demo. But low and behold, when I played with the new racquet, I incurred so many errors and my 3.5 rating appeared to have dropped to a 3.0 player! I was very perplexed, I knew the racquet was good, so it had to have been the string and tension. I knew there was something wrong with it. So, I thought that perhaps for the new RPM 16g string, it should be strung at a higher tension (58 or more), and this was strung at 56 pounds, causing the ball to go flat when you hit it. Anyhow, I had the strings cut, and went instead to a hybrid of Pro Hurricane Tour and VS Gut at 57 lbs. I also tweaked the way I hold the racquet from eastern grip to semi western. Well, the racquet performed better. This racquet definitely performs on fast swings, and long strokes - you provide the power if you string it with synthetic guts. But with polys, at higher tension, i find that the RPM Blast will help you with more spin and power. I agree with most people, that the serves are more accurate with this racquet, and easier to place the ball on court. I would not recommend this for 3.0s or lower, and instead only to an intermediate to advanced player.
From: Jade, 10/12
String type: Babolat Pure Hurricane Tour mains / Babolat VS Gut crosses

Comments: Perfect racquet for the intermediate-advanced men's player and advanced women. I switched to this from a Pure Drive, for I was looking for a more solid feel and more control. I found just that with this racquet. This racquet features a very stiff frame, which allows me to hit solid volleys and loopy ground strokes. If you are 5.0+ I would get the Tour version, but for the typical competitive player I would definitely give this racquet a spin.
String type and tension: Synthetic Gut 16g @ 63 lbs

Comments: Good racquet overall, worth a try, but it just doesn't have the same solid feeling as the original Pure Storm.
From: Gus, 2/12

Comments: Nice racquet. I've been using Aero Pro Drive for a year. My daughter uses this racquet and then switched to the Pure Storm Team racquet which is lighter and has bigger head size. I played with her old Pure Storm GT and was surprise with the control especially with volleys. I like playing doubles and my net game improved with this racquet, it's lighter than Aero Pro Drive and definitely better with volleys. I bought the new 2011 model with the new paint job. Really happy with this racquet.
From: Jun Fernando, 1/12

Comments: Extremely happy with this racquet - control is excellent, spin is there, very playable racquet. Demoed 20 racquets over the course of 3 months. Another reviewer's description of this racquet was spot on - it definitely makes it feel as an extension of your arm. I had been demoing heavier and stiffer racquets with open string patterns looking for the enhanced weight / feel, plow through. This racquet is definitely lighter than others I demoed but it excels at balance. Not a fan of any other Babolat racquet demoed - the Yonex v core 98d was my second choice. Other runner's up: Head YOUTEK IG Radical Midplus, Head YOUTEK IG Extreme MP. The tour version of the pure storm is a very different balance. The pure storm frame flexes more (and transmits more vibration)than both the yonex vcore and the head extreme MP but not so much that it affects the accuracy or power of the shot, only the feel.
From: Ryan, 1/12
String type and tension: Yonex Tour Super 850 16, 60lbs

Comments: This is a great racquet. I enjoyed playing with it for 2 years now. It is a great stick at the baseline. Brilliant at serves although it lacked at the net. I would definitely recommend this stick for any game styles of baseline play.
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane/Luxilon Revenge, 61 lbs

Comments: This is a very nice racquet. Picked it up to mold my tennis shots, and I still use it. Only thing bad about this racquet, that it is very unforgiving when you frame.
From: Jason, 11/11
String type and tension: Gosen Polyon 17 Gauge Ice Feel, 58 lbs

Comments: I tried this model a week ago and immediately ordered 2 sticks to replace my 2-years old Pure Storm Originals. While being generally similar, the GT version gives extra feel letting you go for more and closer to lines.
From: Eugene, 11/11
String type and tension: E-Matrix, 16g, 55lbs

Comments: I loved this racquet, even though it felt underpowered sometimes. However, it still was a good racquet.
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast at 55 lbs

Comments: This is a great frame from Babolat. Just switched from Head Youtek Prestige Pro, looking for a tad more power and spin and a larger sweet spot. Exactly what I was looking for! This stick has that flexible player's racquet feel while still holding true to Babolat's forte's of spin production and power. A frame that is as happy at the net as it is the baseline, I would highly recommend to the 4.5+ level aggressive player.
From: Varun, 10/11
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Pro Line II at 61 lbs

Comments: This is a solid stick! I switched from the Babolat Pure Drive and I found this to be far better in regards on spin and control. This racquet plays very stable for its weight. Nothing flimsy about this one.
String type and tension: Synthetic gut at 63 lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4

Comments: This racquet is too good to be true. It perfected my game completely by providing the right amount of spin and power to give the best feel on all of my shots. I struggled with getting in my serve for a while with this racquet, but with a little bit more explosion from the legs I got it going in. Great racquet overall!

Comments: Similar to Aubrey's review, I played with the Babolat AeroPro Drive (approximately 2.5 years) which I really liked. I just found the racquet lacked control at the net and baseline when you didn't swing 100%. With the Babolat Pure Storm, I'm able to add more variety and much more touch around the net. You do lose a lot of power on off center shots but the sweet spot is so sweet! I did struggle with depth of 2nd serves for about a month but now have full control and placement. Return of serve is where my game has excelled with a nice short back swing. Overall, I have been very pleased with my decision to switch.
From: Scott, 8/11
String type and tension: Hybrid poly - syn gut at 50 lbs

Comments: I've been using this stick for just over a year now. I previously used the Babolat AeroPro Drive (Cortex). I loved the AeroPro, but I felt that it just didn't give me quite the control or ability to flatten out the ball on selected groundstrokes. After demoing nearly 20 frames, from all manufacturers, I tried out this stick. I was instantly "in love." My dad was watching my hitting session and commented that "you picked up speed on your strokes with this frame." It was true; with this stick I can take a full cut at the ball and feel maximum control. I love the fact that it is a very solid, stable control-oriented racquet, while weighing in at a maneuverable 11.1 oz. strung. Don't let the weight fool you - there is nothing flimsy about the feel or performance of this stick! I plan to stick with this frame indefinitely. Just bought 2 more of them to add to the collection!
From: Aubrey, 8/11
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane 17g at 60 lbs.

Comments: Switched from Wilson Six.One.Tour. More power, more spin, not bad control and feel is decent. Certainly need to be customized for more head light, mine currently on 8pts. Slightly over powered for me but good that every cut at the ball goes quite deep. Good for baseline players who can change up and volley at the net. Probably one of the best Babolat racquets for volleys. Have always loved square frame. Loving the squarish frame for such a big racquet compared to Six.One Tour.
From: Ken. 7/11
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Rough, 55 lbs

Comments: I switched to this racquet from the Pure Drive Roddick Standard Cortex. Much better feel and control. It doesn't allow me to spin the ball as much, but that's a minor setback compared to the crisper feel and increased control. My net game has also greatly improved with this racquet.
Babolat Ccel 16 gague (mains) @ 57 lbs, Babolat RPM Blast 17 Gague (crosses) @ 53 lbs

Comments: This racquet is excellent. I can generate so much spin and with great depth. This frame also has great feel, and is SO solid at net. Control is obvious from the first hit, and the power potential is actually fairly decent. I think that since this racquet is so maneuverable, and it is very maneuverable, power can be generated by swinging more quickly. Off-center hits, I admit, feel terrible, and I remember that one time the racquet vibrated and reverberated up my arm - which was fairly painful. But, other than that, this stick is perfect for the aggressive baseliner who likes to come to net occasionally and loves to mix up the serves (This is my style of play!).
From: Sam. 5/11

Comments: Good flexible/comfortable frame that's easily customizable to your desired specs. I think Babolat updated the quality of the paint too. With the last model, if you had some lead tape, then took it off, it would take some of the paint off as well. With this latest version, I didn't see that happen. One thing Babolat didn't fix, was the squeaky buttcap issue -- oh well, nothing a little super glue can't fix.

Comments: I switched from the Prince TT Warrior. I tried the Tour version out, but I decided to not get the tour, but I loved the feeling of the racquet technology. When this racquet arrived, I loved the feeling of hitting with it. The mixture of power and spin is perfect for an all around player like me. I loved hitting at the base line, and volleying at net. I especially like my approach shot with this racquet. The 16x20 pattern seems to keep the ball deep and in while placement was much easier with this racquet than my previous racquet.
From: Joshua. 5/11
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast @ 58 lbs

Comments: This racquet is great I highly recommend it. The spin potential from this racquet is good along with the pop. Control is great as well.
From: Marcus, Lexington. 5/11

Comments: OH MY GOD! I've been trying to find the right racquet for years. I buy a new one every other month (too far away for demos), but I keep going back to my Pure Drive. Last week my Pure Storm arrived and I really wanted it to be the right racquet, if it didn't work out, I swore I would just stick with the Pure Drive forever. My first hit with Pure Storm wasn't too great. It seemed to twist a bit in my hand *sometimes* if I missed the sweet spot. But then I did some serving and it was very precise. I hit 2 aces in my first service game (which persuaded me to give it more of a chance). A few days later I decided to use a slightly more western grip (which I had experimented with before) and my world changed. I honestly feel like I'm cheating, like I can just swing and the ball rockets into the corner of the court. I'm now swinging so hard my feet leave the ground on forehands, it's so much fun. I've gone to a whole new level and my practice partners can't keep up. This isn't just a better racquet, it's a better life.
From: Christian, Australia. 5/11
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour

Comments: I love this racquet! It has a ton more power, but still has lots of control! This racquet has a great balance, feel, and is the perfect weight. It feels great, even with cheap strings!
From: Sam, MT, USA. 5/11

Comments: My old Prince Triple Threat Graphite finally started to give me some arm problem and I find myself not able to hit through it anymore (not sure this says more about my arm or racquet, different discussion for different day). I'm an all court player and play very aggressively at net. Tried Pure Drive Lite, Pure Drive GT, Aero Drive Lite/Team, Prince Black Standard/Team, Prince EXO Lite/Std, Head Youtek Radical/RadicalPro. Nothing felt right. Some are good at groundies, others at net/serve. I was about to give up my search until casually picked up this racquet in my last demo batch. Boy am I glad! This racquet offers the right balance. Nimble at net and the FEEL is awesome. I was doing touch volleys, angled volleys, quick poach (some of the nice groundies racquets are often bad for quick reaction volleys, especially the lite version). I can return aggressively and absorb better when someone hits bomb serves. I like it so far! I want to try hitting more groundies to determine if I will purchase it.
From: Leon, Portland, Oregon. 5/11
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments: This racquet has a really nice combination of spin, control, and decent power. You can always change the power level of any racquet just by experimenting with different string and tension. I personally liked Babolat Revenge on this racquet. It combines the superb control and feel of the racquet with the power from the string. One thing to note though is that coming from the AeroPro Drive I noticed decreased topspin, although that is mostly because of the string. But hey, the control and feel plus some power from the string is nice, right? Add a leather grip to the handle and you turn this racquet into a head light racquet that has a firm feel of the bevels. For me, this racquet is better than the Aeropro Drive Cortex. It has more feel and control, which is what I was mainly searching for. The AeroPro Drive was quite nice and more forgiving than this Pure Storm, but it just didn't have as much feel and precision as I wanted. With the Pure Storm, hits in the sweet spot with good technique and positioning really allowed me to place the ball at more specific locations. The more pace that is applied, the better the racquet plays. This racquet is definitely not for those with slow swing speeds and underdeveloped strokes. Decently fast swings with good shoulder rotation and positioning work best with this racquet. If you miss, it's because you didn't hit the sweet spot and had bad positioning. Solid fundamentals are key in that category! Otherwise, it's an awesome stick! Love it!! :D
From: Angelo, Albany, OR, USA. 4/11
String type and tension: Babolat Revenge 16 at 56 lbs.

Comments: Update on my first post: I had a couple lessons and practiced some serves and decided to play a league match with the Pure Storm GT - I won 6-2, 6-2! And this guy was pretty good. I have found very few (if any) racquets that I could pick up and play on immediately, much less win a match on the first time out. As with most of you, I have probably bought and sold almost every racquet out there, and for my money, this one is the bomb!! If you want a control racquet with lots of comfort, I don't think you can do better than the Pure Storm - just great! Of course the GT+ is Sampras's new stick, so how bad could it be! Check this out guys!

Comments: I like control-oriented rackets (Wilson Tour 90's, PS 85). I played with the AeroPro GT for a few months, but too much power and not enough control (unless you want to hit a TON of topspin to keep it in the court - especially on hot hard courts). Nevertheless, I was impressed with the high build quality and comfort of the AeroPro, so I demoed the other Babolat's and ended up with the Pure Storm GT - Fabulous! It has control, a wonderful solid feel and is very maneuverable, perfect at the net for my all-court style. I went out yesterday to get the serve grooved in and had a blast! The Pure Storm serves beautifully with plenty of pop and great control - easily hits the corners and out wide. Since I'm just getting started on it, I'll play on it stock, I may have to put a little more weight on for heavy hitting, but so far seems very stable. This is a great racket! Give it a try!
From: Terry, Eagle Rock, CA, USA, 03/11
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane Pro Tour 17, 57 lbs.
Headsize: 98 (seems smaller)

Comments: Hit about 1 hr with this racket and I gotta say. It really gives you that arm extension type of feel. Very nice control and good power for a racket that is only 11 oz. saying that, I would really recommend leading up this bad boy to at least 11.7 oz for the extra mph's and stability. I have not purchased this racket yet as my h tour still has lots of pop left but when the h tour snaps. This is one of 3 rackets I would consider. The other 2 I liked are the prestige Youtek mp and the aero pro drive.
From: Nate, 03/11
String type and tension: Head rip control 56 lbs
NTRP Rating: 4.5/5.0

Comments: This racquet certainly has a unique feel. I found the 16x20 string pattern to have a feel like a wooden board on impact, which gave my spin-reliant game some problems. A great racquet for flat hitters, just not for me.
From: Patrick, 03/11
String type and tension: Babolat Synthetic Gut @ 58 lbs

Comments: I've seen this racquet advertised as 100 sq inch and other places, like TW, 98 sq.inches; could you confirm head size and whether the difference to older GT version is only paint job? Thanks
From: Chuck, USA, 02/11
(Chuck, the Pure Storm has a 98 sq.in. head, you may be confusing this with the Pure Storm Team, which comes in at 100 sq.in.; the new Storm line is a cosmetic change only.--TW Staff)

Babolat Pure Storm GT Racquets - Where to go from here

Babolat Tennis Racquets
What Plays Like A Dunlop Biomimetic 300 Tour
What Plays Like A Head YOUTEK IG Speed 18x20
What Plays Like A Head YOUTEK Radical MP
What Plays Like A Volkl Organix 10 (295g)
What Plays Like A Wilson Blade 98 16x19