Babolat PLAY Pure Drive Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: Got this racquet for my 11 year old daughter who is a Babolat fan. She currently plays with a Pure Drive JR26 French Open. She won a Pure Drive French Open in a raffle so it answered what her next racquet will be when she move up. We've had the Play Pure Drive a few days and the quality is very good. I believe the racquet has a specific sequence to sync data. We have not experienced any problems like the others have mentioned as we follow the recommended sequence. Thus, we've downloaded sessions without any issues. I am impressed with the results and plan on tracking her development over time. Her technique score surprised me with the consistency of her contact area. Before this, I thought she shanked a lot of balls. Realistically, 2 shanks out of 500 hits isn't too bad with 80-83% centered hits. Overall, it's a great training device for those who are looking toanalyze their game.
From: Sparky, 3/14

Comments: Two days in a row, the racquet did not upload the data to my mobile phone even though the message said that it had. It was very disappointing. I do not even see appropriate instructions in the FAQ. For the price, I expect a lot more!
From: Oliver, 3/14

Comments: This is my first Babolat racquet, played with Wilson, Prince, Head and Volkl. I've had very few connections issues, nothing to be alarmed of. To me, being able to see my training session stats is wonderful, I can really see progress on whatever stroke I'm working on. The main issue for me was with the racquet itself, it is very stiff and gave me TE and arm pains even though I strung it with Gamma Professional (the softest string I found) at 52 lbs. I'm going to give it a last try with natural gut just after I've been relieve from my arm sourness -- ouch.
From: Jupa, 2/14

Comments: After borrowing this racquet for a week from a friend (who's given up on it completely), it's become clear why there was such a long delay between the promotional launch and the product release -- not to mention the radical feature simplification, of the Babolat PLAY Racquet. It does not work. Not in any reliable, practical way. It's a total sham. This, from a company that usually has superior products, feels like a cynical ploy to recoup their R and D costs. Why else do you release a line of bluetooth racquets that have such glaring functionality and connectivity issues? Sometimes you can upload data to your mobile device, sometimes you can't. Sometimes it will tell you've succeeded doing so just to let you wonder when the data went. How do you say 'gone forever' in French? Once or twice, it honestly seemed like the data it recorded had nothing to do with my hitting session. I don't hit flat balls on either side. So why is it recording flat shots? Don't even get me started about the button controls. Really, how can they sell this for $400?!
From: Morgan, 2/14

Comments: I did not like the racquet at all. It was stiff, flimsy, lacked feel and was way too powerful. The Bluetooth is a pain in the neck and the buttons on the racquet are difficult to use. Wasted money.

Comments: First of all, the Pure Drive is a great racquet -- excellent balance of power and control. As for the Play technology I am really enjoying it. Is it 100 % accurate? No, I don't think so but it really motivates me to practice more and work on getting my technique score higher, etc. And I will say when I go practice and feel like I'm hitting with better technique the racquet stats agree. Is it worth an extra $200? Probably not, but if you want to be an early adopter that's the price you pay. I am happy with it, so if you are willing to treat yourself a little I say go for it!
From: Adam, 1/14

Comments: I have been a happy Babolat purchaser through TW for years. First, the good about this racquet. The racquet itself comes around quickly and delivers good power. It is an excellent advance in the Pure Drive family, as cited by the TW reviewers. Now the bad: Do not purchase this racquet until the bugs have been worked out! It is very poorly supported, and the instructional video makes it appear so easy to use, but it is not true.
From: Peter, 1/14

Comments: This is an update of my last experience, which was with the demo. After being delighted with the demo, I bought the racquet and have had nothing but difficulty. Two days in a row, the racquet did not upload the data to my mobile phone even though the message said that it had. It was very disappointing needless to say. I agree with Jerry. For the price, I expect a lot more!
From: Emily, 1/14

Comments: The racquet plays exactly like the regular Pure Drive now that my husband restrung it for me. Don't know why but the string job from TW was tight, I was worried it was the racquet, but it was the strings. I have played with it four times and was able to get data off the racquet from each playing session unlike the prior review. I do have issues if I try to use the cable to connect to the computer and download the data. I just use the bluetooth function on my phone and it seems to work okay. I find it very interesting to see how the racquet things I am hitting. I am a 4.0 player and am always told that I hit with a lot of topspin; however the racquet says I really hit far more flat shots. I have used it primarily for practice hitting on the ball machine so far and only one match but it will be interesting to see the stats as I play more matches.
From: G, 12/13

Comments: I had a different experience from the previous reviewer. I was able to download the app on all of my devices. I was able to upload the data for all of my sessions and got some interesting data about my skills and technique. I demoed the racquet during a three-day tennis camp, so I got a lot of use out of it and a ton of information. As a result, I decided to set some goals, e.g. to hit my serves with more pace, to try to hit more of my shots in the sweet-spot., etc. I wish there was a way for the app to record information on volleys. I also wish the information could be given in mph rather than percentage. All in all, if this "computerized" racquet is a hit with recreational players, I see other companies following Babolats lead in the not so distant future and with a lower price tag.
From: Emily, 12/13

Comments: Unfortunately for Babolat, the software that accompanies the racquet just doesn't appear to be ready for prime time. I have played with the racquet three times as a demo and managed to get it to record data just once. The other times the desktop software told me it was uploading my software and then when I logged into the website there was no data. I immediately went back to the racket to try to reload the data but was told that the racquet was empty. I am an IT professional and this happened to me twice. Exceptionally disappointing. Expect and deserve more for the price.
From: Jerry, 12/13