Babolat Hybrid Hurricane Tour 16+ VS 16 String Customer feedback

Comments: After much trial and error (lots of errors!) over the last year I've settled on Pro Hurricane Tour (PHT) 16g as my cross of choice with VS 16. Fortunately they're packaged together in this handy pack which makes my life easier! I love VS 16g's combination of comfort, control, and power. Finding the right poly cross has been a challenge and I've enjoyed several poly crosses for different reasons. These crosses have included MSV CoFocus and Focus Hex, Babolat RPM Blast, Gamma Black Ice, and Luxilon 4G. After testing these and many others I've concluded that Pro Hurricane Tour offers the best combination of controllable power, reasonable durability, outstanding spin potential, and arm safe comfort. Others may have excelled over PHT in one or two categories, but were seriously behind PHT in too many other factors, especially comfort and control. If you're a control freak fan of low friction, high spin potential gut/poly hybrids which provide reasonable durability and great comfort then look no further than VS 16 / PHT 16. On a final note, RPM Blast 16 performs essentially the same as PHT 16. Unfortunately there's no VS 16 / RPM 16 hybrid pack.
From: Timothy, 9/12

Comments: These strings brand new feel great and are a step up from a full Hurricane Tour set. The natural gut is easier on the arm and provides good feel but unfortunately it starts to fray within a couple of hours of hitting. This string combination also seems to lose it's tension very quickly and with it the spin generation seems to drop drastically. This is a good string set but expect to change strings very often if you want to maintain the same feel throughout the life of the string.
From: Jaime, 8/11

Comments: This is a more durable gut alternative, not only is lasting from breakage but the strings keep their life longer. With pure gut, perhaps it is the Cayman heat and humidity, they lost their pop after a month or so. Not tons of spin, but does have that nice gut feel, especially on serving a 'heavy' serve.
From: Jeff. 7/11

Comments: This string is very good, but it doesn't last as long as I would hope. I am 14 topspin forehand 90 mph serve and topspin backhand. I play 15+ hours a week. These strings lasted me 25 hours of hitting. That's about a week for me. If you want a great string for a short period goal then try these strings out if money is not an issue.
From: Sindre, TX, USA, 11/10

Comments: I'm a sophomore in high school ranked No. 1 on my team. I'm a 4.5 NTRP and I play tournaments regularly. I've tried Wilson champions choice, the top competitor of these, and they were good, but these are the best. I have sworn by these strings for about 2 years. They blend spin in the natural gut, and reliable durability with the VS. I have them strung at 58lbs for spin and control.
From: Richard, PA, USA. 03/10

Comments: I hated these strings. I was expecting considerably more spin than what they give you. The Pro Hurricane Tour has an octagonal profile but it's not visible to the naked eye. Also, the VS Natural Gut started fraying after, and I'm not kidding, about 20 strokes (and no I am not a big hitter nor do I hit with a ton of spin). As far as how long they would actually last, I do not know because I had them cut out immediately. I did string these a little loose compared to my normal tension (2lbs less), and this may have contributed to my disdain for these strings, but I just put in Luxilon ALU Spin mains with Tecnifibre X- One Biphase crosses and I am a much happier tennis player.
From: Nikhil B., Indianapolis, IN United States. 9/09

Comments: These strings are great for the short term goal of a tournament, but not great for a season. I got mine on my old Head Liquidmetal racquet less than a month ago, but there are pressure bubbles tearing the strings at the axis points. Granted they haven't broke yet, but the tension is 57 pounds (1 less than the 58 neutral psi)
From: Brad, Westwood, MA, USA 08/09

Comments: This is the ULTIMATE hybrid combo in my opinion. I've tried several strings and the PHT/VS hybrid is amazing. Super spin, good power, absolutely superb control. I have zero complaints about arm/wrist soreness but I have mine strung at 58lbs. I use them in my Head Flexpoint4 and Babolat Aero Pro Drive. A little pricey but well worth it.
From: Graham, San Jose, CA USA. 04/09

Comments: These strings are amazing and very durable. The difference between this and 100% gut is barely noticeable. This combination provides a lot of pop, spin and feel that cannot be achieved with poly or synthetic by itself. I have it strung at 56 on one stick and 58 lbs on another. At 56 lbs it sings on the court. Beware, once you string with this combination you will not go back.
From: Joseph, Chicago, IL, USA 4/09

Comments: These strings are pretty good. The first time I hit with these after I strung them, the felt way too tight and had no power. However, a few hours later, they felt perfect and they are the best strings I have ever used. The only drawback is that they do not last very long; they started fraying very soon.
From: Alut, Ft. Worth, Tx, USA. 2/09

Comments: I'm a 4.5. Pluses and minuses for this string. The playability and results of striking the ball are excellent, the power, control, and ability to impart multiple spins. That's the pluses. The drawback is it hurt my arm for only the 2nd time in my 25 years of playing. Part of this is due to the frame and tension (Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 @ 60lbs) I'm sure. But, I have spoke to many people about it, and they all say the same thing, the Pro Hurricane is at the STIFF end of the polyester spectrum and has to be strung considerably looser than the gut. The only other time my arm ever hurt was using an all 18-gauge kevlar in a different frame. Proceed with caution.
From: Joe, Alpharetta, GA, USA, 01/09

Comments: I tried these out on my Babolat Drive Z Lite about as month ago, and 1 one happened: AMAZING. These strings are so awesome, every time I whipped through the ball I would hear a loud: POP! every time, perfect power and control. In fact, I loved these so much I decided to string my Babolat AeroPro Drive Cortex with them and I wasn't as impressed. With that, I felt A LITTLE too much power. I think I'll try the normal pro hurricane and the xcel next time with that thing, but I'll definitely keep string up my Drive Z Lite with it. GIVE THESE STRINGS A TRY! I guarantee you'll be impressed.
From: Daniel, East Meadow, NY, US. 12/08

Comments: Felt great until the natural gut popped after 3 days. I expected it to go soon but not that soon. Everyone that tried my racquet loved the feel, comfort, and pop of this combo but it probably isn't good for string breakers. I didn't find it to have so much spin. Best use would be for a tournament. Had it strung at 62lbs, which I know is kind of high for this string but that's what I play with. I'm going to restring my racquet and keep the pro hurricane strings that didn't break.
From: Eddie, Burbank, CA, USA, 08/08

Comments: This hybrid is excellent. I thought I was a lifetime Luxilon user until I tried this combination. It lasts me about four to five weeks, which makes it a little pricey, but I love it.
From: Mary, FL, USA. 6/08

Comments: Awesome strings! I am a top 13-year-old player who used to have a horrible synthetic gut string, but that broke after a month. Since then I have switched to this great Babolat string. Don't get it too tight though as I accidentally did because of a mis-communication. The spin and power are amazing. The volleys have plenty of power; my kick serve has a lot of kick, and my second serve-slice serve-has tons of slice on it. Now I feel confident about getting my serves over and not letting up on my topspin forehand. Also when you hit the sweet spot, with these strings, it feels marvelous. But again, don't get them too tight. I accidentally got mine in 62 lbs! Thanks, Babolat, for making superior strings!
From: Joe, Brownsville, Texas, U.S.A. 4/08

Comments: Quite a powerful and deadly combination. Deep groundstrokes with huge a amount of action on it, making it kick up to people's shoulders. I wish I'd strung the gut higher, but it seems to be durable.
From: Alex. 4/08
Playing Style: Hard hitting baseline, get to net when I can

Comments: Hey, these strings are the bomb. I have them strung at 57 and they are pretty good, but it is just a little expensive.
From: Alex, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 3/08

Comments: This hybrid has a great feel and has enough spin with the Pro Hurricane Tour that it makes this a great hybrid! I really liked the feel of the regular Pro Hurricane with gut in the crosses but it didn't have enough spin. Also I've been lucky in that I've played with the same strings now for more than 25 hours and they still haven't popped. I'm going to try the same hybrid but with the 17 gauge VS team gut to see if it makes much difference in feel and spin.
From: John, Riverside, Ca. USA. 3/08
Tour mains 60lbs/Gut crosses 62

Comments: You have to try these strings! I was a little apprehensive about putting gut back in my racquet, but boy am I glad. I strung the tour mains 3 lbs tighter than normal to allow for stretching. I could feel that "pocket" I remember gut having since the last time I used it years ago. It gave my AeroPro Drives that extra feel it was definitely lacking all this time. Just be sure to be a decent ball striker if you go with ANY gut-In other words, If you tend to hit close to the grommets or shank one once in a while be warned! The gut can and will break as you will see in others' review of the string (not good angular strength). I can have a fast swing speed and tend to go through most syns after 6 hrs of hard play, but I've only used these for 2 hrs (once) and they show slight signs of fraying. Playability is very good, even with the tour synthetic. If you go with gut, I recommend Babolat; they are the oldest, most respected name, with the highest quality gut in the biz. If you want to add liveliness to some of the modern dead frames because of the gaping open holes in the grommets, this can be for you!
From: Brecht, FL, USA, 03/08

Comments: I'm a freshman high school player with a Pure Drive Roddick who has a 90 mph serve and topspin on my forehand and 2 handed backhand. I've used the hybrid pack and all pro hurricane tours, all at 60 lb. The hybrid is much better in that it provides more feel and comfort. I was able much more easily control my shots than with only pro hurricane tours. However, it is very pricey, so for a similar feel, although its a bit more lacking, you might substitute the natural guy with Wilson NXTs or even Topspin strings. Moreover, the natural gut frays VERY easily. mine started to fray after a few hours of hitting. But if you want power, spin, control, and comfort, then I highly recommend these strings.
From: Anon, Los Angeles, CA, USA, 02/08

Comments: I am a hard hitter and enjoy taking full cuts at the ball whenever possible. I thought I'd give these hybrid strings a try since in the old days of wood all we ever strung out rackets with was gut. What a mistake and out right failure this was, especially considering the dollars put forth. My racquets are Wilson ProStaff 6.0 85 sq. inch heads, and they lasted 3 hours before the mains went loose, and at 5 hours the gut broke -- strung at 60 lbs! For the first couple of hours I liked it but I for one can't afford to restring my racquets every week. It's back to Luxilon Big Banger Rough 16 gauge for me.
From: Beejay, Santa Barbara, CA. 2/08

Comments: I was a solid 4.5 player dying to find the hybrid that gave me the pop I desperately wanted without sacrificing a bit of control, and oh did I find it with this hybrid! Durability is exceptional, as is the comfort level, no sore shoulders after using this. It's true it is pretty expensive but believe me when I say it is worth it. Well done, Babolat.
From: Jibbs, Austin, Texas, USA. 1/08

Comments: Brilliant combination but I hope that Babolat brings out another hybrid pack with just the pro hurricane, not the tour, because the tour just seems to lose a lot of tension. I suppose that you could just increase the tension by a couple of lbs but the feel isn't quite the same. The gut is just immense though! So soft and so much feel. You've got to try it, even with the pro hurricane tour.
From: Anil, Houston, TX, USA, 01/08

Comments: Best strings I have ever used! I put the Pro Hurricane Tour in the mains and the VS in the crosses. The combination works like a beast. I strung them both at 58 and I will never change my strings again! The only problem is that it is a little expensive.
From: Anon, Orlando, Florida, USA. 11/07