Penn ATP World Tour X-Duty Tennis Balls 24 Can Case Customer feedback

Comments: I have purchased three cases of Penn ATP balls regular and XD, a case of ProPenn Marathon XD, and a case of Wilson US Open XD in the last two years. In one case of the Penn ATP there were two cans that had gone flat. The ATP balls have a consistent bounce and last 3 sets adequately. I am happy to play with any of these balls. I find that the court surface creates a more significant alteration in the feel of the ball's play than the difference in the properties of these balls. I get used to the slight difference in the ball characteristics quite quickly. The ProPenn has the best visibility, but I think that it fluffs up the most. I also think that the ProPenn maintains its bounce the longest. That's probably why the previous poster remarked on students being more likely to steal the ProPenns than the Wilsons. Curiously, in Canada a case of the Penn ATP sells for $108 whereas the ProPenn and Wilson USO sell for $96.
From: Albert, 8/14

Comments: Penn has some quality control issues with these balls. I used to really like them but the last 3 cans I've had have all been out-of-round and bounce funny. If you are lucky and get a good can, they are great; nice and heavy and last longer than the Wilson US Open balls. Three strikes and you are out so back to Dunlop Grand Prix balls, for me.
From: Jason, 12/13

Comments: I have always used Penn Championship balls and liked them better than Wilson, however the last three times I've purchased them (at Walmart) they have bounced erratically (kind of like a mexican jumping bean) when just standing hitting the ball straight up and down, or when playing after being hit. It's very annoying to say the least, and I have taken them back to the store and had them replaced, but like I said, the last three times have been the same.
From: Laurel, 2/13

Comments: These are great balls, regardless of the money. They remind me of the old Penn Masters Series balls, firm but not too hard, bright felt and they lasted me three sets and are still very playable for practice hitting. I tried the Penn Marathon XD and thought they were too hard. The ATP XD has nice feel and stays strong without fuzzing up. Hopefully I didn't just happen to get a really good can, because if they all play this way all the time, which consistency has been a quality issue for Penn, this should be their flagship ball.
From: Jason, 9/12

Comments: I used these balls for the last 4 months for about 2.5 hours per day of hitting with two Juniors. Balls are still firm, logo (Penn ATP) is still readable. Best balls for my kids ( 13 and 8 years old).
From: AJ, 8/12

Comments: I purchased these balls based on the TW staff saying they are the #1 ball at this price point. Just used a can today and I have to say, spend a few extra dollars and go for something of higher quality. These balls are very firm and seemed to play very fast as a result. They just don't feel/play like some of the other balls out there. For the money, I think the Dunlop Grand Prix XD is the way to go. I will say that they did maintain there firmness for 2 sets and didn't develop any fuzzing, but the feel is not there.

Comments: Much improvement over the other Penn balls I've tried but some think they are a bit 'hard'. They last last a long time and take the slugging.

Comments: My coach has an entire basketful of these, and so I play with them every single week. He is a high performance coach with about 50% of all his players having a national ranking (me included... I'd be about your USTA ~5.0) so we're all hitting the ball REALLLYY hard and REALLLLYY often (like I'm hitting my serve at 110mph and I'm one of the younger ones). Admittedly, their bounce does go down after about the first 2 weeks of use but then again, I know (as I play matches in tournaments with them,) Slazengers and Wilsons can't even last a 3 set match. They come out of it as if they've been mauled by a dog and bounce half the height they did when they were new i.e. 2 hours ago. These however last for MONTHS. After the initial drop after 2 weeks, and as long as you don't get them wet, they can bounce consistently for maybe even 4 months if you're lucky. So if you want to get a good consistent ball (which does feel slightly heavy but not as to hinder your game) that will last you a long time, get these. For sure.
From: Michaela, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 11/10

Comments: All the heavy duty balls feel like rocks. Sure they last longer but by the time you wear them down to the correct feel you might have hurt your tennis elbow some more from all those jarring hits. Vote for Wilson US Opens. They may be soft but that is where the feel is, if you play with racket head sizes less than 95 sq inches.
From: Nizwer, Makaha, HI. 12/09

Comments: I work as an instructor at a large indoor tennis facility, and I also maintain the tennis courts. For several years we have used Wilson US Open tennis balls for our leagues, and filtered them into our instructors baskets. Last year we changed to Pro-Penn tennis balls, and here are the differences we noticed. - 1. The Pro-Penn balls lose less of their fuzz with use, as indicated by a reduction in the amount of ball fuzz vacuumed up each week. - 2. The Wilson US Open balls look better after long use. Their label does not get worn off, but they lose more fluff. This is probably a matter of how much ink the factory uses to print the labels on the balls. - 3. Pro-Penn balls bounce higher after a three set match than the Wilson balls. - 4. and finally.... Our players seem to steal more of the Penn balls than the Wilson US Open Balls. I don't know what that means.
From: Richard, Grand Blanc, Michigan, USA. 04/09

Comments: What is the difference between the Penn ATP XD, and the USPTA ProPenn balls?
From: Shooter, RM, CA, USA. 8/08

Comments: I've been playing competitive tennis for 20 years, and Penn are undoubtebly the worst ball I've hit with, with the exception of Pro Penn balls. You might luck out and get a decent can every now and then, but most of their balls feel like rocks right out of the can. Wilson is not much better with the exception of their U.S. Open ball. If you want a quallity ball, try the Dunlop Grand Prix, or the Tretorn ball. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
From: Josh, Atlanta, Ga. 7/08

Comments: What do Penn ATP, ProPenn, Wilson USOpen, Dunlop Grand Prix, and Prince Tour balls all have in common? They are all great balls, none significantly better than the others. Every single brand will get you reliable play, consistent bounce, and solid performance. It doesn't matter whether you hit hard or soft, well or not. Let me put it another way. If you take a can of each brand, unmarked and change out the balls every couple of games you will not notice the change. Why, because they are pro level balls made to be exacting for tour play. It's that simple. So, what does stepping up to a pro level ball net you over, say, the Wilson Championship or Penn Championship balls? Think of it this way. Think about all the balls coming off the manufacturing line. The Championship balls represent those balls that don't live up to all the quality controls each balls has to pass through. They are the rejects. This doesn't mean the balls are necessarily bad, more like they aren't quite perfect. This means that, for the most part, the Championship level balls are going to play well. You'll find that maybe the balls don't quite bounce the same (yet very close) between cans. They won't maintain their bounce quite as long as the pro level balls but overall, again, they are still a decent ball. Any pro would certainly be able to play fine using them and many did growing up while learning tennis. What does all this mean? If you play a lot of tennis, you hit hard and often, then the longevity of pro level ball will save you some money overall as you don't have to throw them out so often. If you don't play so much, well, grab what's on the shelf that you can afford and know that you are still going to have a lot of fun playing.
From: Jay, Kalamazoo, MI. 6/08
6.0 player

Comments: I buy Penn because they play as well as any I've used, and they are MADE IN THE USA!
From: Jerry, Columbia, MD. 3/08

Comments: Penn has good marketing people, and that's why it's also popular. Based on my experience (12 years of playing tennis), for playability and durability I would go for Dunlop balls and then Wilson.
From: Trent, New Haven, CT, USA. 11/07

Comments: I have been playing with Penn ATP balls for 3-4 years and they continue to be the best tennis ball I've used. I play 3-4 times a week and these balls have a lot of life in them after using them for one or two days.
From: Michael, Landisville, Pa, USA, 07/07

Comments: These balls are fine, as long as you only want to play for three sets or less with them. By the end of the third set the lettering is worn on them. Okay for practice use thereafter, but do not keep their pressure as well as Dunlops or Slazengers.
From: David, Nevada, USA, 06/07

Comments: I have been buying these balls for over a year but I notice that they do not last more than 2-3 sets, and on multiple occasions we have opened a can with a flat ball, or stitching visible on the felt. I am switching balls to something more reliable. Penn, if you are listening, work on the quality! I am switching!
From: Helen, Corvallis, OR, USA. 6/07

Comments:
From:I've used the Penn ATP for the past 3 years (NTP 4.5 playing 2 to 3 times per week), and recently I've been very disappointed in the quality. On two occasions, I've actually opened brand new cans from my case and discovered that the balls were deflated. In fact, this is one reason that I'm scouring the tenniswarehouse.com site to find an alternative ball. DZ, Dayton, OH, USA, 12/06

Comments: These are the best tennis balls I have ever used. They last longer than the Wilsons, and they play very well. The ball is so easy to control. I highly suggest trying these balls.
From: Philip, Houston, TX, USA. 12/06

Comments:Penn makes, by far, the best tennis balls out there. These balls are very playable and last much longer than Wilson. I highly recommend Penn tennis balls for anyone looking for a durable, playable ball.
From: Brett, Valley Center, KS, 11/06

Comments: These tennis balls are amazing, and last a very long time. These tennis balls are a lot better then Wilson or Dunlop and last a lot longer. If you�re a tennis player with skill and play multiple times a week, I recommend these tennis balls. Nice job Penn.
From: Scott, Canton, OH, USA. 9/06

Comments: These balls play faster than the Wilson US Open balls. They usually last for about a week of heavy hitting, which isn't too long, but the speed and the bounce are great. By far one of the best balls out there if you don't mind replacing often.
From: Peter, Vancouver, Canada. 9/06

Comments: These balls don't last long at all. Dunlop makes the greatest tennis balls. These are nice n bouncy for about one week, as opposed to the Dunlop grand prix balls, which stay playable for nearly a month.
From: Nate, Vernon Hill, Illinois, USA 04/06

Comments: Heavy at first, but perfect as they wear down. Very long lasting practice balls.
From: Wally, Santa Clara, CA, USA. 9/05

Comments: These are better than Wilson, but not as good as Dunlop. They die rather quickly but are still good for a set and a half.
From: Sandor, Toronto, Canada, 6/04