Babolat AeroPro Drive GT Plus Racquets Customer feedback

Comments: After reading and watching videos concerning the hype over Babolat, I finally dove in and gave this particular racquet a try. After the first hit with me being a 4.0/4.5 player, I totally agreed with the hype. This is one solid racquet where I could actually tee off, and the ball would stay in the court. Without a doubt I was getting excellent plow through, solid feedback, and definite pop on each shot. Even the racquet's stiffness didn't bother me at all except for one case: serves. That's when I knew the stiffness would take its toll on my arm if I played on this racquet for more than one hour, which was unfortunate. It was like serving with a 2x4 and caused my flat serves to suffer. In my younger years I would have no issue, but now that I'm in my 40s my arm can't handle this much stiffness. Sadly, I'll have to skip this racquet, but I highly recommend it for those that can handle the crazy stiffness.

Comments: Let me start by saying that AeroPro Drive racquets do not generate extra spin over other racquets. In fact, the string pattern on the APD is more closed than a number of other competing frames. I found the spin generated to be middle of the road. Now that I have dealt with the myth of spin, I can state that this is a fine racquet. The feel of Babolat frames with Cortex is there -- plastic, flimsy, hollow. But, you can get used to it. It's really no different than getting used to the feel of Prince EXO3 frames. The feel is different, but there. There is excellent control on groundstrokes and good power. Topspin, flat, and slice are all accessible. Feel is mediocre on volleys, but directional control is good. Serves and overheads are excellent. This racquet is very stiff and firm. If you don't regularly center the ball on the strings, please avoid this frame unless you want tennis elbow as I found this frame to be quite brassy outside the sweetspot. I rarely hit outside the sweetspot, so it's not a concern for me. There is quite a bit of mass in the head, so the feel is a little sluggish through the contact point, but not as sluggish as an Extreme Pro. But, it's not as fast as a Blade 93. Maneuverability is very good for an extended-length racquet. Overall, this is very good extended-length player's frame that I rate above the PDR+ and about on-par with the PSTGT+.
From: Patrick, 11/13

Comments: I have recently upgraded to this racquet from the Head Microgel Extreme Midplus. It has helped generate much more spin. The best part is it encourages to hit the ball with a large swing and most of the time the shot goes in right. I believe the tension should decrease and the power will open up. I used Babolat Addiction 17 at 59 lbs.
From: Arnb, 8/13

Comments: I have had this racquet for a few years and I have to say that it is great from the baseline and thats it. I feel timid at the net because of the lack of touch and the crazy stiffness. I am switching to the Wilson Pro Staff 95 soon.
From: Christian, 8/13

Comments: Attention aggressive flat baseliners - this racquet is ideal for you. I am a flat hitter of the ball, very little margin and love to plough through my groundies. I was really hesitant about this racquet being comparable to Nadal's style of play, his overly aggressive topspin so I didn't try it until a friend lent it to me. When I hit flat, the natural spin that the racquet produces on the ball gives enough height that my unforced error count reduces and stays within the baseline. I string it quite tight and can definitely still produce strong groundies. The serve is great for a flat serve but kickserving I feel it's better to hit the bottom towards the upper part of the racquet head for good kick which takes time to adjust. People who get tennis elbow need to look at their strings and the tension because I do not have any problems with it. Also, those people tend to not be middling the ball.

Comments: Borrowed this racquet from a friend and for the hour I was on the court, every ball I hit went in with power. Very impressed and surprised

Comments: Great racquet! I switched from the Head Radical MP and now have a lot more consistency, spin and control at the baseline. I love hitting a two handed backhand with topspin, and it feels so natural. But I feel that I have lost power on my serve, although now most serves go in and first serves are between 100 and 110mph and at my level that's just fine, and second serves have a wicked spin. This is a spin-oriented raquet, so if you play flat maybe this racquet is not for you.
From: Stuart, 12/12

Comments: This stick is like an Excalibur sword. It's incredible on all fronts, but within an hour of play, your arm and especially your elbow will feel like you have been in a battlefield. I have bought 4 of them in the course of 3 years, hoping that one day I can keep playing with them, but my elbow and shoulder can't take it after 60 days. So, I am back to the non GT version
From: Cameron, 10/12
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast mains / VS Gut crosses @ 57lbs

Comments: The two strokes this racquet does well on are topspin forehands and kick serves. With that said, this stick is suited to 2-fisted players because of its length. For 1 handed backhand player, it takes great coordination to hit topspin. The backhand slice is a bit of a paradox. If you hit it well, the ball will skid off the court, but a lazy slice will result in the ball popping up. For a classic 1 handed backhand player, this stick will be hard to master. For the modern player, 2 fisted backhand and heavy topspin forehand, this stick is for you.
From: Hai, 10/12

Comments: I loved this racquet when I demo'd it a few weeks ago. I demo'd this along with the regular length AeroPro and the Pure Drive and Pure Drive Plus. I played a set of singles playing a few games with each and I fell in love with the AeroPro Plus and the Pure Drive Plus. They had much more power than my Yonex RDX 500 racquet but I could control the power. How cool is that?! 2 days later I went out to hit a bucket of serves with the 2 longer racquets, hoping to choose one expecting I'd happily buy one of them. I loved serving with these. I don't think I've hit serves so fast and I don't think I was hitting more than 80% effort! However, 50 serves and my elbow started to feel numb. The next morning I could barely brush my hair with that arm. Turns out I literally got tennis elbow from serving one bucket of tennis balls with this racquet! I was a tournament-ready, fit 4.5/5.0 player who strength trains, runs, stretches and have never had elbow pain in 30 years playing tennis. Now I've facing months away from tennis due acute injury from demo'ing this racquet. Please put a warning on racquets like this since they obviously are not for everyone. It seems irresponsible that racquets like this, a perfect storm for arm pain, do not come with any warning about the higher % of arm pain with stiff/light/long racquet like this.
From: Stephen, 7/12

Comments: It's the best racquet I've ever played with!

Comments: I loved this stick the minute I picked it up. Just bought my second one from TennisWarehouse.
From: Kyle, 7/12

Comments: Let me just put this out there. I found it really hard to backhand slice with this racket. Maybe it is just me, I do not know.
From: Kevin, 5/12
String type and tension: Kirschbaum Super Smash 16, 55-60lbs

Comments: This is an awesome racquet. I play tennis six days a week. I switched from my Head Instinct to this racquet a few months ago. Immediately my game improved: my forehands jumped twice as high when I use topspin, the power is amazing and my serve has gone from slow to fast. I play both singles and doubles so I like to volley. At the net this racquet gave great pop and good control along with touch volleys. Overall, a great stick for stronger players who like medium to heavier sticks.
From: Ted, 5/12
String type and tension: Babolat Revenge 16 on main, Babolat synthetic gut, on cross

Comments: Perfect overall racquet,great serves,spin,power,feel,control. If you want to improve your game definitely buy this sexy stick, just recommend it.
From: Slav, 1/12
String type and tension:Babolat RPM Blast16, 58lbs
NTRP Rating:4.0

Comments: I really like the racquet. Switched from Wilson Six.One 95 about 10 months ago. This racquet provides better spin. I had the tension way up in high 60s, then 62, now will bring down to 55 or so in order to be easier on the arm and bring more spin. I have a big serve and forehand. Now I have a reliable swinging volley. It made my backhand and volleys much better. Way more backhand topspin with confidence and can cut some great angles with it.
From: Ken, 11/11

Comments: This is such a sick racquet. I got it as a demo and hit it for a couple of days, instantly sent it back when I purchased one. I have the plus version because I'm shorter and every half inch counts. It gives great power while at the same time serious control. Try throwing some Babolat RPM 17 Blast at 55 (well 55 in the middle while keeping the outer strings a little higher at 58-59) and it is beast hitting in the sweet spot. You get a ton of power while also gaining some forgiveness on the mishits.
From: Jake, 10/11
String type and tension: Babolat RPM 17 Blast, 55 lbs

Comments: Ok, so within the 3 days I had the racquet I played about 16-22 hours. The racquet itself feels great, although sometimes it feels like I hit nothing, The racquet hits well on serves, the bigger headsize makes it more forgiving on miss-hits. The spin potential on the racquet is actually quite good, the slice volleys are really close to net and barely bounce afterwards. Forehands feel great, the racquet might require a faster swing speed but its fine since the racquet is light. But having the extended one make its harder to swing fast due to the length, but overall hits pretty well. Overall this racquet comes with a lot of pop and as long as your form is right, you shouldn't have elbow or shoulder or hand or wrist problems. The technology is great and offers spin and control while not lacking in the power area. Things you need with this racquet: fast swing speed, good form, and it will make you tired unless you have great stamina.
From: Min, 10/11
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane Feel at 56 lbs

Comments: This racquet is awesome. I demoed a bunch of different racquets and Babolat Pure Drive and Aero were my choices. I went with Aero GT Plus. Seemed to play better overall with it. I get great spin and it feels great on all shots. No wonder this racquet is so popular among so many tennis players.
From: Bryan, 8/11
String type and tension: Babolat RPM 17/55lbs and Luxilon Big Banger 17/55lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5+

Comments: This racquet has so much power and spin it's almost ungodly. I did however have to put lead tape on it because the head was too light.
String type and tension: Luxilon Savage at 54 lbs

Comments: An awesome racquet, I only had it for a couple of days and I have noticed the difference already. The amount of spin I was able to generate was superb but there was still enough power in it to flatten out the putaway shots.
From: Mykal. 6/11

Comments: I don't have control at all even when I strung it at 62lbs. The racquet has too much power. If you have a flat strokes and full swing, this isn't the racquet for you. There is too much power without control.
From: Sebastian, Bogota, Colombia. 5/11

Comments: I recently bought an Aero Pro Drive GT Plus after reading about it in a magazine. They didn't lie. This is a very powerful racquet. I can even make points from the baseline on both forehands and backhands. Topspin strokes are blistering and my slices are biting. I agree with one who gave his feedback about how this racquet doesn't want to treated like a baby. I go with my powerful shots and it does the rest. Otherwise, it will "baby" your shots too. No problems with volleying even with the added length.
From: Tukmol, Phillippines. 4/11
String type and tension: RPM Blast 17 @ 57lbs

Comments: This racquet is awesome! It generates great spin with just the amount of power you need. I did not find the high swing weight a problem at all, but I did add a little lead tape at the 3&9 o'clock positions because I wanted to give myself a little more power and open up the sweetspot. With this addition it feels like the perfect weight. Check out my string type and tension below for the optimal setup.
From: Eruc. 03/11
String type and tension: Luxilon Big Banger Alu 16 Touch Ice - 54 pounds
NTRP Rating: 3.5 - 4.0

Comments: Very consistent and fun racket to hit. I echo the positive feedback. I switched from the Dunlop AeroGel Pro and felt immediate improvement especially when serving. Also saw immediate improvement on backhand consistency and forehand spin.
From: Dan, Columbia, SC, USA, 03/11
String type and tension: Solinco Tour bite @57 lbs.

Comments: I just purchased the AeroPro Drive GT Plus and the Pure Drive GT Plus, I have been reading many reviews on these racquets and they seem to be fairly accurate. The AeroPro Drive GT + is definitely a smooth and controlled racquet. Don't take this wrong by me saying that the Pure Drive GT+ is stiff and pretty laboring, but it is a great racquet and is powerful with a good mix of spin! The AeroPro is a controlled smooth hitting racquet. And remember, considering that it is a Plus racquet it will be more head light and give some control in my opinion. I am 6'4" and it is so easy to serve! I love the AeroPro Drive GT+ and although the Pure Drive GT+ is a little stiff, it is a performer! So I would have to say try both! You can learn different styles of playing. If the Pure Drive GT+ wears you out, you can switch it up.
From: Matthew, Warner Robins, GA, USA, 3/11
String type and tension: RPM Blast 17, 58lbs

Comments: I used this racquet about 6 months along with Babolat Pure Drive GT +. I switch racquets when I need more control. But when I need control I used this racquet. This racquet has good control and spin potential but I have a problem with serve. My spin serve is not curling in but it goes out like a flat serve. One thing that I have problem with this racquet is the torsion. When I hit off the sweetspot, it tends to torque the frame and make the ball hit the net, especially when volleying. But overall this racquet has very good spin potential. Worth a try. 8.8/10
From: Chandra, Pekanbaru, Indonesia, 02/11
String type and tension: Ashaway Crossfire 18 @ 54/59lbs
NTRP Rating: maybe 4.5

Comments: I highly recommend this racquet. I'd been playing the Babolat Pure Drive for the last 8 years when I became a big fan of Roddick. I always like the feel of this racquet. I decided to purchase the Pure Drive GT Plus last October to get the benefit of the longer length. As much as I love that racquet, it put a strain in my elbow that just got worst the last month. I decided it's time to switch racquet. I hope to stay with Babolat as I always enjoyed the feel of their racquet.
I tried the Aero Drive GT Plus. I deliver as much power as the Pure Drive GT Plus but seem to have better control. However, the biggest advantage is the stability and pain-free when hitting off center!!! The spin on this one is incredible. I'd been playing with it for the last three weeks and glad I made the switch.
From: Robert, Brentwood, CA, USA, 02/11
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane + Excel 59 lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5+

Comments: I demoed this racket for the past week now and I must say, it is just incredible...I went from the Old Pure Drive Cortex to this one, and it is just so much better than the Pure Drive. The amount of spin and I power I get with it is just unreal. I recommend this racket to ANYONE. I am top 400 itf and there's no doubt this racket will take me further.
From: Joey, TX, USA, 12/10
String type and tension: Babolat RPM 58

Comments: This racket is truly sublime. Its balance point and swing weight fit my game perfectly and I added at least 10 mph to my serve. With the Babolat RPM Blast strings it's even better cause of the spin great feel and I just love this racket.
From: Jonathan, CA, USA, 11/10
String type and tension: Babolat RPM Blast, 58 lbs
NTRP Rating: 3.5+

Comments: Awesome racket, lots of spin, lots of power, I'm more of a finesse player, but have been able to create passing shots with this racket, my topspin lobs are now a major weapon!! I'm still struggling with my serve, but it should eventually get there. I'm not a big fan of the racket at net, but it does get the job done, touch volleys are not always "touch" biggest improvement has been my backhand, topspin deep and powerful, slice low and deadly, cant ask for more than that!!
From: John, Dominican Republic, 10/10
String type and tension: Babolat rpm 50lbs

Comments: Before this racquet, I was a noob, there's no doubt. But after this racquet my game continues to improve. The serve, backhand, and spin has greatly increased thanks to this one. Great pop with control, and there's no doubt I'll be playing with this one for a while.
From: Paul, Seattle, WA, USA, 08/10
String type and tension: Prince Syn w/Dura 16 @58lb
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0 probably

Comments: Hit with heavy topspin. Won my first match with it yesterday 6-1. Just got it roughly a month ago. Love to hit hard with it and gives me the confidence for consistent corners & winners. Downside: if you are practicing with someone who hits quite softly. This baby is like a Ferrari (loves to go to the red line, not a fan of going only 35mph). Still haven't nailed down my serve with this stick. Takes a bit of getting used to. Recommend it...oh yeah.
From: DL, Chicago, IL, USA, 08/10
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane, 57 lbs

Comments: You need to demo this racquet. I did, along with the Pure Drive Roddick GT + (did not like), Wilson BLX Six.One Tour (hated it), Wilson K Factor KBlade Team (liked it OK). I did buy it from TW and this is why I like it. FIRST - It does not hurt you elbow. Although it is a stiff racquet, please disregard all other people saying how tough it is on their arm. Please demo it yourself to see. SECOND- This feels right in your hand, the balance is perfect and gives you massive confidence when swinging it on groundstrokes. For serves, it is impressive and I use all types- flat cannonball, side slice, topspin kick, but for me the American twist is the most wicked with this racquet.
From: Ken, Chicago, IL, USA. 07/10
String type and tension: Babolat Blast RPM 16

Comments: I read some reviews and saw some complaints about arm becoming sore after 1st use. I am a bigger player (5'8, 180 lbs) and I also felt it in my arm a little bit the first time I played with the racquet. As for the spin, it's fantastic. I have always had a problem getting accurate spin and power on my backhand, and this racquet is the only one I've tried that actually makes my backhand hit more precise and with more topspin. As with the forehand, I normally hit with heavy topspin, and this helped. It wasn't a super extreme difference, but I get more spin out of this racquet than any other racquet I've played with. This racquet is also extremely powerful. I found it difficult to control flat shots. The serve was good but only when hitting spin shots. Flat serves were hard to control, but they were extremely powerful. Regardless if this racquet sounds like it's just for you- make sure you demo this first. It has to fit your play style. Also, I think making the string a little bit tighter (59-60lbs instead of the 57 I played with) and adding some weight to the 10 and 2 positions will make this racquet hit better, if your arm can handle it.
From: Daniel, 08/10
String type and tension: Demo
NTRP Rating: 3.5+

Comments: I demoed almost all of the Babolat sticks and this one matched my strokes. I'm 6.4, Hit with a lot of topspin and come to the net quite often. My forehand and backhand shots improved within a day. It was like switching gear. I used to play with a Wilson Kblade 93. I was being more accurate with the Babolat despite the 16X19 pattern. I would recommend trying both regular and plus separately. The extra 1/2 inch makes a big difference in the swing.
From: Ron, Redlands, Ca, USA. 07/10
String type and tension: Tecnifibre Bi-Phase @ 58lbs

Comments: Wow is all I can say, this is the first time I have tried a Babolat. My topspin shots have always been my strongest asset but with this thing I can spin the ball with drop dead accuracy. I have never been able to hit what I thought was a solid backhand, until I hit with the AeroPro Drive GT+. I am a bigger player who can generate a lot of racquet speed, the light feel and the extended reach of this thing actually puts that to some use. At the net just think about where you want the ball and it will do the rest of the work.
From: Vincent, Atlanta, GA. 6/10

Comments: I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years now, and I must say that I've never knew how much of a difference a high quality racquet has on a player. The moment that I picked it up, I was able to reach into my untapped potential. The spin and slice that the racquet is capable of is surreal. I demoed both the plus and regular racquet and I found that the plus seems to have much more power. I would recommend trying both. I'm used to playing with the longer racquets, so perhaps I am a little biased against the shorter racquets.
From: Brian, Connecticut. 5/10
NTRP Rating: 3.5-4.0

Comments: I have never liked the past aero series. This racquet is very light and I felt as if I were going to hit the fence with every shot. But this racquet produces an abnormal amount of spin on its own. I am still looking for a new racquet but this one is on the top of my list so far. I do find it hard to control the serve with this frame.
From: Stephen, Maryland. 5/10
String type and tension: Babolat Hurricane Tour 56

Comments: This racquet is pretty awesome. If you hit with a lot of topspin and are an advanced player, definitely give this a demo. I will say though make sure to demo it for a few days as took about 3 or 4 times of hitting with it before I realized how awesome this racquet is; this was esp. true for me as I was also making the adjustment to the extended racquet.
From: Rahul. 5/10
String type and tension: Babolat Pro Hurricane/ 58
NTRP Rating:4.5+

Comments: I have always liked lighter frames....and I love the whip I get with this racquet. Serving and returning at the top of my game with this stick. And though it is not known for volleys, the light frame is very maneuverable at the net.
From: Derrick, US. 4/10

Comments: This stick took about 6 hrs to get used to and it is freaking great! It's got lots of pop on the serve and it dialed in much better control and power on my backhand. I liked it immediately and it instantly improved my game. I wasn't a power baseline player but now I can rally from end to end with confidence. This is a must try. I like the longer handle since I'm 5' 9". I think it doesn't like to be hit softly though and really shines with some muscle and spin. It's probably not too good for a player who likes to hit slowly as its geared for aggressive play.
From: Marcelo, Lexington, KY. 4/10
String type and tension: Med. Hybrid

Comments: This is a great Racquet. Cannot say too many good things about it. I do like playing with plus racquets so this probably explains my preference to this one. The spin and power are phenomenal although the power could be toned down a bit but with better strings than the demo, that is easy to touch up. Great Racquet.
From: John, GR, MI, US 03/10
String type and tension: Demo

Comments: The one thing I like better about this is than the standard was the longer handle, helped with a two handed backhand. Overall great stick, I was only using the demo strung with some crappy strings and it was freaking amazing. Serves, volleys, ground strokes, drop shots, they were all great, I am going to buy one now as we speak. I used to the the Head Speed Pro but now I need to get this one. It gives so much top spin, I would recommend it for anyone, its a fun stick to play with.
From: anon. 03/10

Comments: Great racquet overall. I was using the Pure Drive Roddick and decided to test this one. Good feel, excellent pace on first serves and great access to spin on 2nd serves. I am using this one as my primary racquet and the PDR as a backup.
From: Rocco, Miami, FL. 2/10
String type and tension: Prince SG 57 lbs
NTRP Rating:3.5

Comments: I normally play with the AeroPro Drive Cortex and decided to demo this racquet (along with the new Pure Drive Roddick GT +) when it arrived. The weight/feel and swing is dramatically different from the previous model. Though I like the look of the new Aero, I still prefer the previous over the new. But the Pure Drive Roddick GT + got my attention.
From: Tom, Pleasanton, CA 02/10