adidas Barricade 7 Novak White/Blue/Red Men's Shoe Customer feedback

Comments: Outstanding traction. Stable. And the durability is the best. And it gives me complete confidence to avoid injuries.
From: JC, 11/14

Comments: Love the Barricade 7s! I hope adidas continues to make these for a long, long time.
From: Ry, 9/14

Comments: I know tennis shoes are a matter of personal preference but I really like the B7s. I tried this B7 with the Nike Vapor 9.5 back to back on 2 consecutive days. The B7 is definitely better for its stability, thus the confidence it gives me. No compromise in comfort versus previous Barricades (I have had 20 pairs of B5 and B7 over the years). The Vapor 9.5 feels more "comfortable" and supple (as less overall support). I am sure somebody likes it this way, just not my cup of tea. Needless to say, as is a common feedback for Nike users, the Vapor is not durable. The sole wears out fast and the insole seems like it is falling apart after long play on a hot hard court. The B7 is super durable.

Comments: Great shoes. I actually like these better than Nike shoes by a long shot.
From: Joshua, 8/14

Comments: This is an outstanding shoe. Great fit, comfort, and durability. Kudos to adidas. Been wearing it about a week, and couldn't be happier.

Comments: These are just fantastic shoes! My favorite Barricades!

Comments: Coming from the Barricade 6, I was expecting a similar feel in the 7s and was not disappointed. However, what was disappointing was the terrible design of that top eyelet that digs into the inside of the ankle. Out of the box and walking around in them, the area around the inside of the ankle felt a little stiff, but I figured they just needed a little breaking in. After actually playing in them, I had bruises on the inside of my ankles and a small area that was rubbed raw and bleeding. I tried unlacing the top eyelet, per the advice of some of the reviews here, but it was still catching my ankle awkwardly when changing directions. I have since cut the entire top eyelet piece off from the inside of the shoes (the outside top eyelet is fine) and haven't had any issues after two matches.
From: Darren, 7/14

Comments: Outstanding traction. Stable. And the durability is the best.
From: Nitro, 6/14

Comments: These are such nice shoes! I will take them over any other "warranty" shoe on the market! I like the fit much better than the Barricade 8s.

Comments: The 7s are great! Even though they are heavy, they make me feel tall and quick. The traction and durability are outstanding giving me great stopping ability on the court. However, I'm a slender guy and have heard that for the heavier set players these shoes are not as supportive and uncomfortable. But for a young agile player looking for performance and a bit of style -- theses are great!
From: Laredo, 6/14

Comments: Always loved the 7s. Just be aware that if you're sending in for the six month guarantee adidas will now only mail the Barricade 8s back as a replacement. Kind of a disappointment when they are still releasing new colors.
From: Caleb, 6/14

Comments: Barricade shoes are the most durable tennis shoes I've ever owned. They have a very strong tread, the P-guard is great for players who drag their shoes and they are comfortable with minimal break in period. They fit true to size and are half way decent for people of the wider side of D-width shoe. The only downside is they are heavier than your 'lighter' modern shoes like the adidas Feather range and Vapor Tours, but the durability more than makes up for it. Definitely a top 2 shoe for me.

Comments: Shouldn't the B7 fans be thankful to Djokovic that he doesn't like the B8? Novak, you know one or two things that we do here. B7 has the best balance of support, weight, durability. adidas -- keep the new B7 colors coming!
From: Marv, 2/14

Comments: Wish I had listened to other reviewers, but like many I loved my old Barricades. Made them last a couple of years, and wanted to replace them with the same shoe. These were incredibly stiff out of the box; tried a little Nadal action on them to try to loosen them up, and was able to wear them around the house on carpet. Decided to try them on the court for an easy hour of drills, and exactly as so many others said, I came home with a raw spot on the inside of my right ankle. After I got home, I took the lace out of that top inside eyelet, and that helped, but I'm not going to play tennis without my shoes being securely laced. A real disappointment to have to start a search for new shoes.

Comments: Like many others, I was a Barricade 2 devotee, but have now come to view the 7s as the paragon of Barricades (and tennis shoes in general). Incredible combination of support and light weight. Perfect tennis shoe.

Comments: Seems like Novak feels the same about the B7 as a lot of fans in this forum. The B7 got all the merits of the previous Barricades, but it is much lighter. It has out of the box comfort with very little break in. Great support (as with all Barricades) and it is much better of than the B8 if you have a wide feet. I have about 20+ pairs of Barricade over the years in various models and the B7 is the best.
From: Marv, 1/14

Comments: I'm on my 5th pair of Barricade 7s and love them. They are the most durable performance tennis shoe I have owned. Have heard the Barricade 8s have zero pivot and too much give, so I'm glad to see the 7s still in production.
From: Smitty, 1/14

Comments: To Matt (9/13) -- I got blisters (inside ankle bone) too the first couple times I used them. A plaster did the job and then after 2 weeks or so, they were fine. So a break-in is required in these shoes, but you do get exceptional durability, traction and support. Maybe not the most comfy shoes, but built like hiking boots, really tough shoes. They last twice as long, so I get fresh balls on the cash saved!
From: Mateo, 9/13

Comments: Extremely good shoe. This shoe has great traction, durability, and stability. After 2 months, they are holding up great and I'm a 5.0 player who plays about 10-15 hours a week. I definitely recommend them if you can't buy Vapors, as those are superior in every way, except durability.
From: Joel, 9/13

Comments: Love these shoes with one major drawback. They have great grip and fit extremely well except for the fact that the shoe rubs the inside ankle bone on my left foot. I don't get as many blisters with these shoes as I did with my Babolats, the rubbing in the ankle however has me looking for a new set of kicks.

Comments: I have two pairs of the Barricade 7.0s and I like them for numerous reasons, but they have one major downfall which I believe I have a quick fix for. These shoes do not breath and are killers on the feet. One main reason these shoes do not breath is the perforations on the shoes are merely cosmetic. The breathing holes do not go all the way through to the inside of the shoe. Easy fix -- take an awl or a pick and gently poke through all the ventilating holes. Takes approximately 10 minutes per shoe. This issue is not germane to just these shoes. Most of the tennis shoes out there suffer from the same poor quality control.

Comments: Good shoe but the narrow toe box will cause a problem for those with wider feet. Toe box is narrower than the previous versions so don't base your fit on that. It is best that you try these on if possible before buying them.
From: Azarel, 8/13

Comments: I've played (and loved) in the Barricade 2s for the past few years, but the market seems to have run dry on availability and I thought I would try the Barricade 7. What a mistake! I'm not sure if I can entirely define the problem (beyond the fact that they are not very comfortable from the top) but I feel like I'm handicapped on the court wearing these things. Guess I should have worn them around the house and not taken them directly to a match. Try before you buy with this shoe!

Comments: Awesome shoes! They only needed like an hour to break in, after that they felt really comfy and stable. Durability should definitely be there! I'm a 5.5 player that plays 5 times a week.
From: Rafa, 7/13

Comments: I have to stop using this pair of shoes after several weeks of use. The toe box is narrower than prior versions of the Barricade. I have a wide foot and I have no problem with Barricade 2, 5 and 6. This version of the Barricade just crushes my right pinky toe, partly due to the narrower toe box, partly due to more flexible outsole at the front toe area. It's just too painful for me to keep playing with this pair of shoes.

Comments: I had a similar Barricade Team 2 shoe which was a wonderful light weight tennis shoe. But i could feel that they wouldnt hold up very long. This shoe mathces and exceeds those with arch, comfort, foot stability and more sturdiness. 11.5 seems true to size. I personalize them with my own favorite sport insoles for grreater cushioning (but I do that with all shoes). No problems with digging eyelets or ankles being dug into. A very maneuverable shoe with good traction and foot stability.
From: Scott, 7/13

Comments: With the exception of the 6s, the Barricades have been my go-to-shoe for over a decade. Great, solid shoe overall. The medial side painfully dug into my ankles in the 3s only. At that time, I just stuffed an extra sock in that area to create space. A week or two later, I stopped stuffing a sock and the "digging" went away. For those experiencing this problem, try this method instead of tossing away your shoes.
From: Ron, 6/13

Comments: I thought I wouldn't like these because they seemed kinda heavy, plasticy and stiff. After one hit on the courts, I love them. The rigidness gives the shoe great support and thankfully, they seem to breathe well. The outsoles are holding up great (especially since I am a toe dragger). Normally I am wary of adidas because the toe box is narrow. I do have to wear a 1/2 size up from normal but that worked out perfectly.

Comments: I've been using the Barricade 2 for over 6 years. I absolutely loved them. But as they're no longer available I had to try the Barricade 7.0. I like how the Barricade 7.0 fit like a glove. And the outsoles are amazing. They grip well and are very durable. The only thing I didn't like was that they seemed very heavy. Almost like I was wearing a pair of boots. Maybe I'll get used to the weight and they won't hinder my game as they did yesterday. I also don't think they had the same support as the Barricade 2s did. All in all they are a decent shoe. I just wish Adidas would have left a good thing alone. They keep making subtle updates to this shoe and it's getting to the point now where the shoe isn't performing as well anymore. Bring the 2s back!
From: Chad, 6/13

Comments: Finally a great confortable shoe! The toe box is really soft and wide. No need to break in! 9 out of 10
From: Jonathan, 6/13

Comments: I personally love these shoes. They look great and feel great too. I've had no problems with this shoe so far.
From: Eli, 6/13

Comments: Great shoes - definitely need breaking in for me though. I have to wear them for a few hours before I can use them for tennis. The top eyelet on one pair was digging into my top of foot until the shoes really broke in after about 20 uses and after that they were great! I got almost 6 months out of them playing 3 times a week. Bought a second pair to break in before these wear out.

Comments: This shoe is the best Barricade that has been produced so far. First, they changed the toe box and made it more spacious. This is good so your feet don't feel jammed, the previous Barricade model came to a point in the toe box. Second, they put some cushy material underneath the insole and also they put in a higher quality insole, finally! Third, the material that they use is more flexible than the previous Barricade models and this means a more comfortable shoe. Last, the tread and traction of the shoe is excellent. The 7 really gripped the court from the very first time I used it. Right out of the box this thing is so comfortable and feels broken in. It only gets better with time. You've hit a home run with these shoes, Adidas. I challenge you to keep improving them!
From: Barry, 5/13

Comments: This version of the Barricade is significantly more supportive and slightly heavier than the previous version. Opinions will vary, but I like the feel. A very comfortable and stable shoe however I also agree with others about the uppermost shoelace eyelet -- it can dig into the top of my foot if I lace the shoe all the way up, which I normally don't.
From: Stefan, 4/13

Comments: I have bought 4 pairs of different Barricades. Earlier versions were heavy, a bit, hot but hard wearing. This latest pair are unwearable for me. The hard plastic bar at the back presses into the achilles tendon. I tried not using the top eye hole on the laces but this did not solve the problem. I persevered hoping they would break in, but the plastic vertical bar will never soften. I have never had a problem ever with my achilles tendon or any other part of my foot but these shoes stopped me playing tennis for a couple of weeks
From: Walter, 4/13

Comments: Excellent comfort right out of the box - except for the metal eyelet at the ankle. But other than this one pea in the blanket stack, this is a great shoe. I prefer low to the ground shoes, and this is a little high, but it still feels stable and good.

Comments: Great shoe, very comfortable fit, been using them for 2 weeks and so far no signs of wear or tear. I play 3 times a week on hard courts.

Comments: This was intended to be made good but there are design flaws for sure. Do not buy this version, this is a very unconfortable shoe at the ankle and feels like a hard boot. Doesn't seem to break in.
From: Somnath, 4/13

Comments: I just bought the Baracade 7s and I was hesitant about these shoes due to the awful remarks. I wear a size 16 and I don't have a huge selection but I thought I would give these shoes a try. First practice and the shoes were tight (narrow) but I just needed two practices to break them in. Now, the shoe fits great and I don't have to wear insoles. Some of the comments on this shoe should be reevaluated because the shoe is actually a good shoe.
From: Shawn, 4/13

Comments: Don't know where all the negative feedback is coming from or maybe I am wearing a completely different shoe, because I think the Adidas Barricade 7 is phenomenal! This might be the best shoe I have ever worn. I have a regular width foot with a normal arch. I find the stability and the traction to be amazing on hard courts. The all seamless upper has a supple yet supportive feel that envelopes the foot. I can move around with confidence that the shoe will not slip or turn. The ventilation in the hot California summers is better than I expected and is sufficient, however my Nike Air Max Cages do a better job in the AC department. I have owned them for about 5 months and the out sole is just starting to show wear in the big toe and outer heel area. Overall, the comfort is great and it should be a must buy for all aggressive tennis players.
From: Zachary, 3/13

Comments: I usually play with Nike but I wanted to try the barricade 7.0. These are really hard to play with, I felt like I was moving slower!
From: Ryan, 3/13

Comments: Worst court shoed I've ever worn. The top of the shoe rubs both ankles and is extremely uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend buying these shoes!
From: Scott, 3/13

Comments: Be warned, these can feel like a size too small during the initial fittings, but they should flex and loosen nicely after. Haven't played on court with them yet (my court's being dug up) but even light trials confirm its a very stable, grippy and responsive shoe. The claws resist lateral movement quite strongly, so I'd be careful before going full-competition-slide mode. Overall, a tough, no-nonsense shoe that pays for athletic and quick tennis.
From: Varun, 3/13

Comments: Warning! I have worn Barricades for years, and the only issue I have ever had before was with the narrowness of the shoe. But after wearing them in, it's always been a great fit for me. However, this shoe has a significant design defect, the inside eyelet is too high and cuts into the area of your ankle, right above the ankle bone. I had to take out some kitchen scissors, and cut off the top eyelet. If you don't want to do that, stay away from these and look at the Asics!

Comments: Occasionally I will get a pair of Barricades where the eyelet is in a weird spot. In maybe 12 pairs of Barricades, maybe three have had that issue. I think it's just luck (or bad luck of the draw). That being said, I love the sturdiness of this shoe. I have a wide foot and always wear men's shoes, but even in men's styles, the Nikes are too narrow through the middle of my foot. Not everyone's feet measure the same from toe to where the narrowing of the arch area starts. (That's where the discrepancy in reviews come in). The durability is poor, but that's why I love the 6-month outsole guarantee. Playing 10 to 20 hours a week, you will put a hole in this shoe (and any other) in less than two months.
From: K, 3/13

Comments: Whoever was in charge of putting rectangular metal eyelets on these shoes needs to be canned from their job at Adidas immediately. Worst feeling shoe I've ever worn in my life (tennis or otherwise). If you like the feeling of sharp metal digging into your ankle, these are the shoes for you! I give them a 1/100 - just because the look great, other than that, pure crap. And I'm a huge Barricade fan.

Comments: I thought that the decreased weight and improved grip the shoe has on the court was a major improvement over the barricade 2.0s that I really liked a lot after I broke them in. Maybe I am still breaking these in but after about an hour of play, the metal ringlet at the top of the shoelace hole, on the left foot, it digs into my ankle bone on the right side causing bleeding and severe discomfort. On the right foot, the ringlet digs into the left side of my ankle bone causing similar bleeding and discomfort. I am willing to tolerate this while I break in my ankles and develop callouses in this area because of how much I like this shoe. Except that I feel that given other posts about this same problem, why doesn't Adidas just make softer ringlets or a more padded tongue and take care of this obvious design flaw. I wear these shoes all day long because I teach tennis and I still like this shoe.

Comments: Great shoes, but I put a hole through the bottom in a month. I play about 6 hours a day very aggressively. My old Nike Courtballistec 3.3s lasted me at least 3 months. They don't get holes in the side thanks to the adituff pad on the outside.

Comments: I bought my first pair of Barricade 7's two weeks ago. After wearing them twice I threw them in the trash last night. The inner top portion of the shoe rubs on the inside ankle bone, creating blisters. Despite wearing bandaids and wearing two thick pairs of socks, the shoes rub my ankles raw. Last night after seeing two blood stains the size of a quarter coming through the socks, I figured it was time to ditch these shoes! Other than the poor design in this area, I did like the support the shoe provided.

Comments: I am not at all happy with the Barricade. I bought a pair just four months ago. The entire front has opened up and my toes were visible. Another one of my friends with the Barricade also had a similar problem.
From: Nihal, 2/13

Comments: I have had a similar issue as the others -- the inner top most lace hole buckle seems to catch and rub on my ankles, just below the ankle bone. Consequently, after an hour of play I ended up with the torn skin and some bleeding. I am surprised I am having such an issue as I was a big fan of the B6 and never had any problems with them.
From: Karl, 2/13

Comments: Barricade 6...not so good! The Barricade 7 is the freakin' bomb. Comfortable, stable, and overall you won't find a better shoe.

Comments: I've never had a problem with a shoe, until I bought this one. The inner metal at the top of the right shoe cut into my foot. I was playing a long match and didn't have another another pair to change into. By the time I was done I had a hole in my foot, which subsequently became infected and my whole ankle blew up. I tried everything I could to stop it from happening again, from filing it down to taping it up, but after a short time, it was digging another hole into my ankle. I can't even where them to just walk around. I got frustrated and I finally threw them out. Most disappointing shoe ever.
From: Peter, 1/13

Comments: I am still constantly shocked by the strange reviews people write on here. Am I wearing the same shoe they are? I think it can't be because this shoe is hands down the most stylish and well built shoe in the entire tennis world. Finally someone has actually thought about style as opposed to just adding flare from Cindy Lopper's 80's fluorescent wardrobe. First day I wore them I had no less than 6 compliments on the shoes. These also are consistent with the quality and toughness of build with all of the Barricade shoes.
From: Rob, 1/13

From: Rob, 1/13

Comments: I have used every Barricade and this one started out great but I started getting knee and leg pain. I went to the podiatrist who informed me that the plastic insert caused my orthotics to not fit correctly. So, if you have orthotics make sure they sit well in the shoe before you purchase.
From: Tony, 1/13

Comments: George (12/12), I am with you. The same thing happened to me. My right ankle suffered a scar because of the inner metal in the hole at the top left of the shoe.

Comments: These have the same good support of the Barricade 5 (I skipped the B6 as the fit is too narrow) but much softer and more nimble. I had the Vapor 9, as they look good and feel nimble, but the support is definitely not as good as the B7. You won't regret it, especially if you have a wide feet.
From: Marv, 12/12

Comments: These shoes are great. They have a good mix of comfort, durability, and stability. If you can afford to replace the Nike Vapor 9's every month or so, do it, but if you are like most people and can't, buy barricades. The outsoles will last me 2+ months which is very good considering the amount of tennis I play (around 15 hrs a week, about half on hard court, half on clay) The 6 month guarantee is great too, as I definitely take advantage of it.

Comments: After 45 minutes the right top inner part was digging/rubbing into my foot/flesh and I had to take them off. It left a scar that's still visible after 3 weeks. I took the shoes back to the retailer 3 days later who returned them to adidas. After four weeks I got a new 2013 pair that does not have that problem. Adidas claimed they have never heard complaints about this before. I did some research and found two more people had the same problem. This kid found a way around it by bending the shoe against the floor for 30 minutes a number of times till the shoe stayed wide and wouldn't rub against his foot!
From: George, 12/12

Comments: I've coached boys and girls high school tennis for 4 years now and saw a great deal on these 7.0's and took advantage of it with absolutely no regret! I had the Nike's DelPo, RF, and Nadal's and they feel like stone blocks compared to these! No joke! I've been sold on how these shoes grip and explode. They give me the support at net, spring on serve and the heel cushion I desperately needed. Now I'm able to finish on court Insanity drills during conditioning without my feet killing me.
From: Memo, 12/12

Comments: Everytime I wear them, they gives me a blister on my foot. Although they have a great grip on the court, they are not durable at all. Within 2 months of play, they have developed a hole in the sole.
From: R.P., 11/12