Luxilon ALU Power Spin 16 String Customer feedback

Comments: This string is great. Grips the ball well and generates good spin and I love how it feels at 54x52 lbs on a Wilson Blade 98S. Only problem is that it only lasted me 50 minutes. Kind of odd for Luxilon.
From: Christian, 2/14

Comments: Amazing spin and great control, but this string does not last more than 5 hours if you are a big hitter. Shame since it is priced at $17, it gets expensive.
From: Loay, 11/13

Comments: I have tried almost every Luxilon on my Prestige MP racquet (i.e. BB Original, BB Original Rough, ALU Rough, ALU Power and ALU Spin). ALU Spin is best strung between 46-51 lbs. The grab and spin is phenomenal at this tension, no elbow issues. The ALU Power feels a bit more solid but the ALU Spin produces more spin and velocity. Basically, if you string any Luxilon above 53 lbs on a thin beam racquet you are into tennis elbow territory.
From: Pete, 8/13

Comments: I expected a lot out of this string. The long and short of it is that it simply killed my elbow. I've never had elbow issues in my 20 plus year tennis career, and almost instantly with this stuff my elbow hurt and that was with dropping tension about 5lbs when stringing. As it loosened up a bit more, my elbow issues diminished slightly, but it was still a harsh string. It does generate tons of spin, but there's no way I'll ever use it again. Just not for me with that kind of side effect. I know others use it without issue, but I'll stick with a good multi in the future. Not worth the hype in my opinion.

Comments: If you rate yourself on some scale only old people use, it it not the string for you. I have played with this string in a hybrid, and the whole racquet. I have used it with a hybrid, any cheap soft string will do, and it plays extremely nice. For the older people, find a softer poly string, because you will hurt yourselves. This is a great string for tournament players who want their strings to last longer, and get the power that they need.

Comments: By far my most favorite string on the market. I've tried many strings and this one is awesome. Use it as a full string bed. String it high at 62lbs on Wilson 6.1 95 and it's a match made in heaven.
From: Rob, 4/12

Comments: Best feeling string I have ever played, amazing spin potential.
From: Brooks, 3/12

Comments: I like the ALU Power Rough and went to a big store in the Midwest to get 2 packets of those strings. The guy on the counter persuaded me to try the ALU Power Spin. It was a dumb mistake on my part to purchase a string without reading reviews. I strung these as a two-piece job on a Wilson BLX 6.1 Tour at #52 using my own drop- weight stringer. The string is stiff (as a thin wire) and can be easily kinked. Even as I was stringing the crosses, I realized that the string bed was going to turn out very stiff. It did. Hit with it this morning. The already small sweet spot on the BLX 6.1 Tour was further diminished by this string. Except when hitting at the sweet spot, the racquet felt stiff as a cardboard and hurt my forearm. And this was during a slow paced rally!! I threw the racquet back into the bag within ten minutes. I just don't have the heart to cut the strings out now since they cost $$ but neither will I play with these strings. Summary: Does not seem to go well with small head racquets even when strung at a low #52 or for a person of my skill level (3.5-4.0)
From: Karthik, 1/12

Comments: I expected a lot of this string following my previous experience with Luxilon but I was very disappointed. I felt a lack of power from the string although I did have plenty of spin. However, I could not finish points effectively due to lack of power. Durability of the string was also very disappointing, it broke after 3 matches and I am not a frequent string beaker. Overall, I am disappointed and will never try this string again.
From: Sasa, 7/11

Comments: I tend to hit flat so I look for little spin advantages wherever possible. ALU Power Spin (pentagon) strings really grip the ball and generate a good deal of spin, much more so than ALU Power Rough which is what I used for 5 years. Also, I just made the mistake of buying the Luxilon Savage strings (Hexagon) on accident and Savage doesn't perform anything like the ALU Power Spin.
From: Allen. 4/11

Comments: It seems to me that this is Luxilon's stab at a Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour type string. I like it a little better than that one, but overall not as much as the softer Luxilons. I keep one racquet strung with Alu-Rough, and one with Fluoro, both crossed with Head RIP Control. These strings are thickest, stiffest and heaviest of the lot. The pros of this string are definitely the spin. However, I get as much spin with Fluoro, simply because it's lighter and I get more racquet head speed as a result. The string works best if you hit hard all the time. However, it's so stiff that there is a control loss if you let up at all, kind of like you're hitting with a board. Definite loss of feel as well. So you big bangers out there, this is the spin string for you. I'm sticking with the other two in the line (Alu Power original is just a little too powerful for me).
From: Stewart, VT, USA, 02/11

Comments: This string is NOT a string for hybriding, at least with a Sonic Pro. I had my YOUTEK Radical MP strung with "Spin" in the mains and the Sonic Pro in the crosses. Man it felt like I couldn't hit anything. It felt like I was being squished and every time I tried to hit it hard, the ball went from tennis to baseball, hitting a home run every time.
From: Evan, Waynesboro, PA, USA, 01/11

Comments: Amazing string! If you are a player that can play with your strings loose without losing it...this is the string for you! I tried tons of poly (and multi) and this is by far the best! Unfortunately is not inexpensive but it's worth it! I use it on main and crosses (53 lb) and I play with a Babolat Pure Drive GT plus!
From: Andrea, Woodbridge, VA, USA, 01/11

Comments: I am speechless, this string is incredible. Spin is unbelievable!

Comments: This was my first time I tried and Luxilon string and had really big hopes for it, and man did it come through! At first it was stiff and you had to break into the strings, but after the strings were amazing!! Now the balls flies out of the string with power! My only concern is that they are a little stiff on your arm after awhile, so you might need to hybrid it with a softer string. Overall, one of the best strings out there! Gonna try the champion's choice next. I got really high expectations for that one too.
From: Wunglu, Milwaukee, WI, USA, 09/10
All-court player H.S.Varsity tennis.
Wilson k-six-one tour-90 4.0 player

Comments: Great string, about to buy a full reel, better than the Babolat rpm for me, I got more spin and control. Big forehands with a lot of spin. I did a hybrid with Prince duraflex syn gut in the crosses. Strung at 54 and the crosses at 53. Awesome
From: Dennis, Cheshire, CT, USA, 08/10

Comments: These strings are just amazing. You can get so much topspin and bite on the ball. You also get really nice pop off the string bed. Overall these are great strings to use in the mains and even crosses.
From: Daniel, NY, USA, 07/10

Comments: I bought a pack of this to use in my mains as a test to see what all the hubub was all about. I bought a reel 2 weeks later for the rest of my racquets. I can't imagine that I'll ever put anything else in my mains. Hybrid it with a soft string and you get power, control/spin, and comfort. It's worth the money to me.
From: Steve, Rock Hill, SC, USA. 06/10

Comments: This is a very good string and it feels like the ALU power but the spin has improved it.
From: Jay, USA. 4/10

Comments: I recently used this in my hybrids strung at 58/59 with prince synthetic in the crosses. Definitely a keeper- I can feel more topspin on my hits without even trying. Its ridiculous. I'm a freshman on the tennis team and I used to use Babolat Pro hurricanes and Xcel hybrids and those were good. but i must admit adding these to your mains will improve your game with more spin. the mains feels very rigged and it clings on to the ball to give it more spin, I have better feel with these strings its really nice. I don't understand how people say these strings hurt. You should just hybrid it and keep at normal tension you would usually play at. Slices like butter- makes me want to play all day.
From: anon. 03/10

Comments: I play doubles, every day, for many years, and since its introduction I play with the main strings on BB Alu power 16g. I ended up with 50 LBS. of tension on 121 Sq. inch frame. For crosses I am using 17g Gosen ultra micro sheep. I found the Spin very stiff hard on my arm at 52 Lbs. I stopped over hitting my topspin forehand lobs over the net man but the amount of spin and side spin was not as remarkable as I was expecting. I do not understand how anybody can use this string tension higher then 60Lbs.
From: Harry, Vancouver, BC, Canada 3/10

Comments: I'm on month 3 with entire racket strung at 62. The strings have literally not moved, and the tension loss is not noticeable. I play 3-4 times a week and muscle the ball. Very happy customer
From: Jerry, Laguna Beach 03/10
Microgel Radical Oversize

Comments: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I strung this at 67lbs in the mains and in the crosses I put Gamma Prof 17g @ 64lbs I gotta say like butter baby! talk about dip it is amazing!!
From: James G IV, Pueblo, CO USA 03/10

Comments: Some awesome string here. Strung it at 54lbs by itself on my Speedport Black LB and it's just awesome. To be honest, it didn't feel too bad to me like others have said, it actually had a "just right" feeling to me. I think this string gave me the extra spin I needed for those deep penetrating shots but either way its a great string that people should try
From: Vince, LA, California 11/09
Baseliner, Prince Speedport Black LB

Comments: I just got done using this string in a hybrid with X-One Biphase crosses at 60lbs. I want to say this is the best string combination I've found so far. Great spin, minimal string movement, great for volleys (especially touch volleys or drop shots). My 1HBHs were meaner. The kick serves kicked a little extra and the slices were penetrating. And since my arm doesn't hurt at all, I highly recommend this string in hybrid applications. As for how long this combination will last, I guess time will tell, but for how well the strings played it doesn't matter a whole lot to me personally.
From: Nikhil B.,Indianapolis, IN. 9/09
Prince Hybrid Hornet MP

Comments: I string this racquet straight up at 62 on my rdis tour (93) and it's ridiculous. I've got no arm problems. It makes a ridiculous pop like a bomb going off. My one criticism is that it doesn't hold tension very long (true of basically any polyester) but I play 3-4 hours a day so anything that isn't polyester just breaks in 2 days. So I need a polyester that generates good spin, makes an awesome pop and holds tension.
From: Danny, Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, USA. 09/09

Comments: I have played with this string for around 2 weeks and I have experienced loss of tension, I believe If this string was more durable and kept its tension for longer it would be great. Also I would Recommend Producing this string in optic yellow. I have Used This String On My Babolat Pure Drive GT.
From: Charles, Chicago State, IL Country, USA 08/09

Comments: I was disappointed with this string. At 56lbs the string played very harsh and stiff-even for a poly. I dropped the tension to 54lbs (the lowest I have ever strung at), and this helped a little bit but not much. Power, feel, and comfort were sub par in my opinion. Control was good but spin potential was only average. I would expect durability to be above avg. Overall this would not be a top choice imo, it might play better in a hybrid but I think there are better and more cost effective options.
From: anon. 07.09

Comments: Great String. I can impart more spin than ever before and swing away with confidence. However, it only lasts about 4 hours before breaking. Use something else in the cross, because it cuts into itself.
From: John, San Jose, CA USA. 7/09

Comments: SICK, The pentagon profile gives TREMENDOUS spin. Take your vitamins if your not putting something soft in the crosses
From: Bryan, Boston, MA, USA, 06/09

Comments: This is an excellent string, in fact, it is a BEAST itself. It hits with UNIMAGINABLE topspin and holds its tension extremely well after the first few days of use. I am totally satisfied and will never look for another string again.

Comments: I have tried over 10 different strings on my Prince O3 Comp Hybrid and THIS IS THE BEST OF THE BEST. These strings provide ungodly amounts of spin coupled with extreme control of the ball. I can no longer be afraid to go all out and MUG the ball down the court and fear it gong out. Thank you, Luxilon for these BEASTS.
From: Minesh Patel, Sugar Land, TX, USA. 05/09

Comments: This string is absolutely incredible! I hit a forehand with a lot of topspin so I thought that I would give Luxilon ALU Spin a try. I was amazed at the amount of additional spin that this string gives me. Forehands that before fell just long are now snapping down right inside the baseline, making my forehand a much stronger weapon that before. Also great on serves - a lot of power and spin. This is, by far, the best string I have ever played. If you hit a forehand with a lot of topspin, you should definitely give Luxilon ALU Spin a try.
From: Kenneth, Dallas, Texas, USA. 2/09

Comments: I've used many different strings now trying to develop good spin and control without too much strain on the arm. I have found it in the ALU Power Spin strings. I also string rackets for family, friends and our local league players. I have been stringing their rackets with the ALU Power Spin and they all love it. From the women to the men. From 2.5 to the 4.5 players they all love the stuff. The ladies like it because they can get that spin thing the men do. The men like it because they can hit hard and deep with a great amount of control. To date I have not broken any strings and I play 3 to 4 times a week just about every week, from temps ranging from 28 to 108. Having said that I do change my strings every three months. My wife has had her set on for 6 months with no problems and she plays more than I do. She also hits harder than some of the men do. This is a great string.
From: Dan, Monticello, Arkansas, USA. 2/09

Comments: I've used this string for 7 months now and I love it. I have noticed that if you string it to tight it becomes stiff and it's always better to use it with in a hybrid with a softer power string as they recommend.
From: Zach, Irmo, SC, USA, 02/09

Comments: This is my favorite string ever! I used it on my AeroPro Drive with Pro Hurricane Tour 17 on it at 58 lbs and found the combination of power and spin to be unbelievable. I would recommend this string to anyone who wants more access to spin as well, as the shape of it offers excellent bite on the ball.
From: Anon., Oregon, USA. 1/09

Comments: In the mains at 63 lbs, with Wilson Sensation 16 in the crosses strung at 60, there was a lot of power. The string also moved a lot. There was also a lot of notching. I'm not fond of the stuff, I'm okay with Big Banger Power.

Comments: This string is the best I have ever used. I play it on an n6.2 mp at 58lbs tension, and after adding weight to the head, now hit consistently deep groundstrokes. Decent pop on volleys, and its a bit hard on the elbow for the first day or two, until you break it in. Durability is solid, it lasts me a month and a half. Great string!
From: Josh, USA, 09/08

Comments: I tried Luxilon Power Spin for the first time with it strung at the high range of my racket's recommendation. The rotation developed on the ball with this string is sensational, which allows you to "swing away" with confidence. The ball will often "banana ball" into the court to the surprise of your opponent (and often you). I was playing with the Gamma Zo Pro Spin, which was a bit more comfortable but offered less spin. The Luxilon Power Spin was a little tough on the arm but perhaps stringing it at 10% lower tension (as recommended by Luxilon) will help. The string broke after 2 matches and I suspect the angles on the pentagon shaped strings dig into each other and "saw" through the string. This may be a good string in the hybrid setting, which may offer a bit more control and comfort.
From: Jim, Colleyville, TX, USA. 8/08

Comments: The spin I can get from this racket is excellent. I have great control when I play. I love this string, even though after 6 hours of playing, it starts to wear out. But overall I think it's a nice string.
From: NIKKE, HONG KONG. 8/08
All around player.

Comments: This string is great. I'm able to unload on the ball and not fear it going deep. Excellent spin. I played with BB ALU Power Rough before trying the Spin. I like them both but believe that I'll stick with the Spin.
From: Brad (3.5), Baton Rouge, LA, USA. 7/08

Comments: This is the best spin string that I've tried. The amount of spin that you get is incredible. I used it as mains in a hybrid setup with regular Luxilon BB Alu Power on crosses. Amazing spin, power and control for this hybrid setup. I don't think that is a good idea to use this Alu Spin string on both mains and crosses because the thicker gauge would cause some loss in fell, so try the hybrid.
From: Mike, Montreal, QC, Canada, 05/08

Comments: I bought this string as soon as it came out, excited to try the newest development of the ALU Power line. I thought the pentagon shape would give me tons of spin, but what it has given me is a significant loss of control on my shots. After about an hour of play, the string begins to shift around a lot. Not long after that the string snaps from side to side, either sending the ball long or into the net. Even if you love lots of spin, ALU Power Rough would be a better choice.
From: C-dizzle. 4/08

Comments: This string doesn't have the control like the ALU Rough. I felt more control with that string than this one. This string has less playability and maneuverability than most strings I've tried. It has good spin but doesn't keep its everything else.
From: Justin, West Covina, CA, USA. 4/08

Comments: I agree with the first reviewer. This string is great for the first day or two, then it just falls apart. After a week, all control and playability are gone. I tried hybrid with a synthetic gut in the crosses and had the same results. If you can string your racquet like the pros before every match, this string is great, but if you are like the other 99%, try another string.
From: Tim, Georgia, USA. 3/08

Comments: I have been using this string for about 6 hours of play. I loved it for the first 2 hours and since have lost the love. I usually play with ALU power rough in my Dunlop Aerogel 200. I will go back to that string asap. In my opinion the feel and playability is better in the Power rough.
From: Jim, Chicago, IL, USA

Comments: The power and control of the string itself is consistent with other ALU Power products. The spin and kick and grip off the strings are the best of any I have ever tried. However, the only negative I noticed is that due to the pentagonal cross section, as the string rotates about its longitudinal axis as you hit with cut or spin or serve with kick, you lose a substantial amount of control as the string flicks from edge to edge of the pentagonal cross section. This is a real shame because everything else of this string is very, very good. I recommend Luxilon revise this Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Spin with an undecagonal cross section, which should make this problem virtually non-existent without losing any noticeable corners of the cross section to impart spin, kick or cut on the ball and regaining all the lost control due to this problem. I would probably stick to the Luxilon ALU Power Rough until Luxilon fix this problem if I had the choice.
From: David, Lismore, New South Wales, Australia. 2/08