Comments: I demoed this racket and I was very impressed. Control and power is good and my serves had more pace and accuracy. My strokes were solid. I hit with spin and this stick makes hit a little difficult because it flattens out your strokes because of the density of the string pattern due to its headsize. I still like it though and I have been more accurate with my shots. I am hitting with the 110 head size for the 5.3 and am liking it too. The 110 is a perfect racket for doubles and singles and the 95 in my opinion is better for singles play because the pace and depth you need in singles play. Spin is needed more in doubles because of the serve advantage you need to take a person off the court and have more variety as opposed to singles where you can serve flat and still maintain and advantage. I love both sticks so I purchased the used 95 demo for just 40 dollars. What a steal!
From: Brian, Houston,Texas US 01/10

Comments: This racquet is good, not entirely great. It's very maneuverable and has good swing speed. Its a bit unstable but good overall.
From: Jason, Georgetown, Guyana. 9/08
Headsize: 95 sq. inch

Comments: It is not true that a Wilson Hyper Hammer racket will not last. I have mine now for more than 10 years and it is still in great shape.
From: Jose, Miami, FL, USA, 07/08
String type and tension: factory recommended

Comments: It's a great racquet for all aspects of my game. I just began playing seriously last summer. At the time I was still using my 4.3 Hammer with the 110 head. It seemed lighter than this one thanks to Wilson's superior Hammer weight balancing. Still I wanted more out of my game and really like the head heavy racquets, so I tried this one and have been happy ever since. I had to switch to the Wilson Reaction strings for more durability, since for some reason I kept breaking the Wilson NXT strings on the crosses. Other than that, it hits awesome, really drives through the ball on groundstrokes, giving me great precision and offers a good feel for volleys.
From: Bud, Cape, MO, USA. 1/08
String type and tension: Wilson Reaction @ 55

Comments: Add 9 grams of lead tape to head, 3 grams to handle and a leather grip, and this is a beautiful racquet! Control plus power and still very maneuvarable.
From: Victor, NY, USA. 1/08
String type and tension: Mains - Luxilon ALU Rough @ 60. Crosses - Tecnifibre X-One Biphas 17g @ 58 lbs

Comments: I love this racquet and have been using it for a long time. It's so lightweight it makes swinging a lot easier and faster. I would recommend this racquet for any player especially knew comers because it's so lightweight.
From: Anon, Columbus, OH, USA, 10/07

Comments: A very good racquet in my opinion. Don't let the lightweight fool you, such a stable racquet!! Lots of power, but also lots of control. I can whip through the balls on both my forehand and backhand. Spin is very accessible, especially slice. Volleys are crisp and firm, and serves are above average. Stringing in the low range has been beneficial to me. I'd have to say I found my Holy Grail, excellent base for customization too.
From: Jefferson
String type and tension: Luxilon ALU Power Rough 16g & Babolat Thermogut 17g
Headsize: 95"

Comments: The racquet is nice, but it's not entirely great. It has some power, some control, some spin, etc. I found it to be an "average" racquet. I've heard that "Wilson Hyper Hammer" racquets don't last very long anyways.
From: Matt, Wenatchee, WA, USA, 04/07

Comments: I really like this racquet. I felt very comfortable when using this because it helped me a lot when playing with my rivals.
From: Steven, Cypress, CA, USA, 02/07
Headsize: 95 inch

Comments:I like this racquet. Before I used this racquet it didn't seem I was progressing very much, but after using this racquet I started instantly seeing my improvement. It doesn't have a lot of power, but itís a good racquet.
From: Jeff, Vernal, UT, USA, 02/07
String type and tension: Wilson NXT Tour 16 @59 lbs.

Comments: I recently started using the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 and I can definitely tell a difference in my game. The 5.3 will allow more power and spin, while not taking away from your control. Donít get me wrong itís not a Babolat, but it is a very good racket at a very good price.
From: John, Flordia, US 05/06
Headsize: 95 sq.in.

Comments: When first used it I disliked it and kept miss hitting. However, after a three-month layoff I gave it another go. I find this racquet to be very light. Surprisingly I found power to be average. The strong point was the control. This racquet has better control than my Dunlop 300g, Wilson Hammer 6.3 or my Slazenger Pro Braided.
From: Peter, Australia 04/06
String type and tension: 58

Comments: The Wilson 5.3 is not a bad racquet, but it's not the best either. I demoed the midplus version of this racquet at a local sports shop about a year ago. It seemed like a great choice at the time, but after a few weeks of practice, I found that there were better racquets out on the market for about the same price. If you're looking for a head-heavy racket that can supply a lot of pop on the serve and forehand side, than this is your stick, but it has its drawbacks. The thing is way too head heavy, and although I've played with 12 once racquets and up, this baby felt like it weighed like an old wooden Wilson from the seventies! I just couldn't get over the heft of this frame, it's great for the power, but us serve and volleyers want more spin and certainly less weight. If you're like me and want a great tennis racquet that is just good all around, go for the Prince Original Graphite or it's Triple Threat son. These are great racquets with plenty of power, control and topspin, and great maneuverability at net. A solid players choice if I do say so myself. If you can handle the weight, and are looking for a great base-line racket, by all means go with the 5.3, it's got a lot of rip-it up potential and awesome control.
From: Jim Hall, South Carolina, USA. 1/06
String type and tension: Wilson Stamina 15 @ 63 lbs.
Headsize: 95 sq. inches

Comments: I really like this racquet a lot. I think itís a much better racquet in a lot of areas than the Head Flexpoint Radical. It has unbelievable feel with a gamma Shockbuster II vibration dampener. It has a lot of power, a LOT, but its control isn't quite as good as the feel or power. I Would definitely recommend it for 2.0 to 3.5 players.
From: Jacob, Ville Platte, LA, USA. 9/05

Comments:An excellent racquet to play. Very light, great power but here comes the important thing. Bad for your elbow/wrist. I have been playing tennis for the past 5 years. This year I decided to switch to HyperHammer 5.3 after I borrowed this light & comfortable racquet from a friend of mine who was not using it because of elbow pain. I enjoyed playing with this racquet for about 3 months and then my wrist started to ache. So I reduced my time at the tennis court to twice a week to give my wrist enough rest before my next game. After a month more of continuing playing like this, my wrist was paining so heavily that I could no more hold a racquet in my hand. After my research online and talking with Pros , figured out that my favorite. racquet is the culprit.. It's been more than a month now with my wrist support on my hand waiting for my wrist to be pain free and get back to my favorite pastime, Tennis Anyone considering this racquet, pls. beware of it's negativityís too...
From: Rishi Jetty, Dallas Tx USA 07/05
String type and tension:@ 58 lbs

Comments: I love this racquet! It has a lot of control, especially if you have the power to back it up. I don't use it, since when I was buying a new one, it was out of production, but it still remains the favorite of all my racquets.
From: Alex, Laguna Beach, CA, USA String type and tension:16g.@ 62lbs. Headsize: Regular NTRP Rating:

Comments: This racquet provides a lot of power but it's hard to make a good volley. Most of the times the balls go to the baseline. Overall, it's a good racquet if you don't have power.
From: Max, Baltimore, MD, USA. 07/04
String type and tension: Synthetic Gut @ 62 lbs.

Comments: You supply the control, this racquet will supply the power. If you are an older 4.0-4.5 player who has sound strokes, this racquet will give you all the pop you want without having to put out a great physical effort to hit the ball hard. There's added power on the serve without swinging any harder than you usually do. Short punched volleys will carry to the baseline. Shortening the backswing, but using your regular follow through on groundies, will generate as much pace as when you used to take full strokes. If you're an experienced, older player with good technique to spare, the 5.3 oversize will give your regular opponents something new to think about...the increased pace of your shots without you trying any harder than usual. Don't overswing, and the 5.3 oversize will do the rest.
From: Bill, Huntington, NY, USA. 4/03

Comments: I am a very serious tennis player and The Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 is a nice racquet. But, I only played with it a Year-and-a-half, and it sort of lost its touch. I mean, I still play with it, but it isn't a very long lasting type of racquet. But, it is a very, very, very good short-term racquet!
From: Jake, River Forrest, IL, USA. 4/03

Comments: I am a freshman at Camdenton High School. I have been using the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 for a while and I think it is great. It generates sweet power. Accuracy is great with it.
From: Austin, Missouri, USA. 4/03
String type: Wilson Synthetic Gut 16.

Comments: I bought a Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 for my wife two or three years ago from reading reviews. I did not like it so much. It has tremendous power on first server, but I cannot make a good volley. I cannot find the sweet spot for volleying and cannot make a ding shot. I used to play 4.0-4.5 tournaments with two Wilson Pro-staff 6.1 stretch, and am currently using a Prince Thunderlite Longbody.
From: Jason, Houston, TX. USA 1/03

Comments: I am 15 years old and I have had the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch racquet for just over a year now. My game has improved a lot since I bought this racquet, and it still seems like a good racquet for me, at least for now. I am an all-court player; I like to both serve and volley and play from the baseline. I also like to put a lot of spin on the ball at times, and the 5.3 allows me to do that. I find that on my forehand, I can hit a low, heavy slice with swerving side spin for approach shots, or a heavy topspin dipping passing shot. It is a very versatile racquet for my versatile type of game.
From: Zachary, Lutherville, MD. USA 12/02
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16g @ 63lbs.

Comments: Although this racquet improved my serve, ground stroke, and backhand it seemed to just be a hassle. I bought my first one and the string holes broke, I bought my second one and the frame warped. I liked the racquet but it ended up causing me more trouble than good.
From: Robbie, Columbus, OH. USA 10/02

Comments: I'm 17 and I've been playing tennis since I was 9. One of my first racquets was a Wilson Hammer 7.2, such a good racquet, but when I found out that I needed more power I changed to the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 and it worked out so well. My serve improved so much also my forehand. I recommend this racquet for those who need or want more power and control in their game.
From: Guga, Maracay, Aragua, Venezuela 9/02
Tension: 53lbs.

Comments: I bought the Wilson Hyper hammer 5.3 Midplus racquet about 6 months after it came out. I had noticed that one of my friends had changed to it and that his game had improved a lot since buying this racquet. When I bought it, the one thing that amazed me is the weight of it. Also, for such a light racquet it can generate a lot of power and accuracy. I would recommend this racquet to anyone. I am on the Cheam High scholarship scheme in Surrey, and play tournaments all around the country at a high standard (Hastings Direct Tour).
From: Paul, Surrey, England 9/02
String type and tension: Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme 16g. @ 60lbs.

Comments: I purchased the Wilson HH 5.3 Stretch Mid in July 1999 as a replacement to Wilson Hammer 6.2 Stretch Mid (skunk). Though many of my fellow players making the same transition eventually got used to the 5.3, I wasn't so lucky. I've noticed decreased power & spin on my serves and groundstrokes. Kick serves now required more arm strength to deliver serves at same speed. Groundstrokes seemed flatter and slower. 5.3 had some positive attributes: increased touch. After losing several 3 setters in tournaments, I'm making a switch to Yonex URQ 1500.
From: Panda, Burlington, VT. USA 9/02
String type and tension: Gamma TNT Live Wire 17g. @ 52lbs.

Comments: I am a ranked junior and a member of the Boys Varsity Team. Ive been playing with the Hyper Hammer 5.3 for about 4 years now, and at first I thought it was a great racket. However in the past year or so I've become a lot stronger physically and have found the power that this racket generates is overwhelming, since most of my shots go out. I would recommend this racket to anyone with a medium swing and to one that doesn't generate much power on their own. However it is still a great racket for serving and for volleying.
From: Jake, LA, CA. USA 8/02
String type and tension: Head Rip Control @ 65lbs.

Comments: I'm a 4.0+ NTRP level player and when I demoed the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch, I loved it. I wanted a racquet with a ton of power and good control (basically I wanted everything). After I bought it and played with it awhile, I thought it was too light (the racquet wouldn't hit through heavy hit balls) and I had a hard time keeping the ball in the court. I ended up putting about two packages of lead tape under the grip and stringing the racquet at 69lbs. Now it's amazing. Plays like the old Profiles except much more maneuverable at net. Power, control and it feels like a wand at the net. This could be the perfect racquet if you put the effort into getting it right.
From: Amy, San Francisco, CA. USA 8/02

Comments: I have been using the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch Oversize for almost a year now. I love it. It is the best racquet I have ever used. I love the lightness and power of this racquet. Another thing I like about it is that you can really feel when the ball hits the strings. It is a very smooth contact. I also think it can be used for a variety of players, from intermediate to advance. However, sometimes when I slice with this racquet, it pops up a little more than with other racquets, and I don't think I can put as much slice on the ball as I would like to. Overall, a great racquet, though!
From: Zach, Lutherville, MD. USA 7/02
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16g. @ 63lbs.

Comments: I am a freshman from Oakgrove High School. If there was one racquet that would go on my all-time favorite, it would be the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch Oversized. After I bought the Hammer 5.3, I started to beat some of the top ranked guys at my school. The one feature that I like the most is the light-weight. To all the under- rated players out there, I would recommend you get this racquet and start playing tennis.
From: Tinker, San Jose, CA. USA 7/02

Comments: The Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch is a great racquet. Although at times itís very hard to deal with since itís so light. You canít feel where the racquet is in your backswing, resulting in mis-hits and added power. It's so light it makes you want to hit it as hard as possible when you know itís going to go wild when you do so. I would go with a more heavier head racquet, but if you are looking for an extremely light racquet to boost your level of play this is the racquet for you.
From: Ryan, Iowa. USA 4/02
String type and tension: Prince Original Synthetic Gut 16g. @ 61lbs.

Comments: Nice racquet. But I wish it were longer like the Hammer 6.2 stretch midsize that I have been using since it came out in 1997. The 27.5-inch version did not give me the power that I had when I was using the Hammer 6.2 stretch. My serves also lacked the angles that I had before. I wish that Wilson would make a 28-inch midsize version of this racquet.
From: Macky, Cebu City, Philippines 8/01
String type and tension: Prince Championship Nylon 15g @ 60lbs

Comments: I have been playing tennis for about five years, and I've gone through several frames. A friend introduced me to this wonder, the Hyper 5.3 Midsize over a year ago. There was a big difference from my past frames. It's powerful from the baseline, stable at the net, and its a monster on the serve. Anyone looking for an advanced frame with a good blend of power and control should try this racquet.
From: Jeff, Houston, Tx. USA 6/01
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 15L @ 60lbs

Comments: This is a great racquet. I've been playing tennis for about 3 years and I've been going through a lot of racquets. I've found tha this is the best one out of the many I've tried. It offers a lot of power and control too. It has improved my volleys and serves as well as my groundstrokes. Overall its a great racquet, not too light or too heavy.
From: Stephen, Oxnard, CA. USA 6/01
String type and tension: Wilson Hammerlast 16g @ 61lbs.

Comments: This racquet is the best (Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 MP). My game has improved so much, my low percentage shots were now consistent. I can wack the hell out of the ball when needed. My serve is the most noticable. My forehand is another weapon. My slice backhand is very helpful to get back in the point from wide shots. You can very well slice and dice with this racquet.
From: Kevin, Tulsa, OK. USA 6/01
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16g @ 60lbs

Comments: I'm a 15 year old female and I'm on girls varsity tennis team. I have been demoing this racquet for a long time. I Love it. My serve is very powerfull. It is great on groud strokes. I recommend this racquet.
From: Anne, NC. USA 6/01
String type and tension: Prince Synthetic Gut 16g @ 61lbs

Comments: I have played with the 5.0 (85 head size) on the Jr. circuit when it was first introduced..before anyone famous was associated with it. I tried many other racquets along the way and always went back to the 5.0 for tournament play. Contrary to the majority opinion that this racquet should be reserved for 5.0 level players and above, I believe that if your are just beginning the sport (especially juniors) you should give the 5.0 a try. It will force you to develop proper mechanics for all shots as well as teach feel. So if you don't mind lengthening your learning curve for a while, you should ultimately be a better player with a larger arsenel than if you took the easy route with the Head Heavy wide bodys that do all or most of the work for you.
From: Dave, Austin, TX. USA 6/01

Comments:I've been playing tennis for three or four years and now I am ten years old. Different from other people, I have used many racquets in only three years - the Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch is the best racquet I've ever used. It has, in my opinion, a very good combination of control and power. I play provincial under 12 tennis in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I play a baseliner game but come to the net whenever I can put away a shot on the court. I think that this racquet is much better for somebody playing a baseline game. I recommend this racquet to anybody who wants to start playing serious tennis.
From: Eric, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 5/01
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16 @ 59lbs.

Comments: I've been playing tennis for 5 years since I was 9. This is the best racquet I have ever used. It's powerful from the baseline and strong at the net. I encourage anyone who wants a great racquet to buy this one. Aaron, Corner Brook NF Canada 5/01
String type and tension: Wilson Sensation 16g @ 53 lbs
From:

Comments: I am sorry but I simply can not think of any terminology good enough to express the wonderfullness of this racquet.
From: Robert, Burr Ridge, IL. USA 5/01

Comments: After my bad racquet broke, I tried the Wilsom Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch. I was so impressed with how good this racquet was, I bought one for my friend. I have used this racquet for 2 entire days, and my game has improved so much. And so, as I look back on that day when I got the best racquet in the world, it shall be a day to remenber!
From: Rob, Burr Ridge, Il, USA 5/01

Comments: I think that the Wilson 5.3 is the best tennis racquet in the whole world. It is light, has power, and serves better. I have this racket for 1 day and i play so good!! It's the best.
From: Jay, Los Angeles, CA. USA 4/01

Comments: The great thing about the 5.3 is the overall feel and balance. This racquet is forgiving for off center hits and still head heavy for power. The stiffness of the frame allows for a moderate swing speed. I highly suggest this racquet simply because has a wonderful feel that can be easily modified for more manueverability without sacrificing any major speed on your swing. It is also, in my opinion, just about the perfect weight for a raquet of its type...in the 9-10 range. Not so light that you lose control and power but not heavy enough to become a burden at the net.
From: Brian, Grayslake, IL. USA 3/01