Comments: This is the best shoe for my feet. I began wearing WCT 1004 three years ago when my orthotics "maker" suggested I wear them. I had neuromas on the bottom of my feet. My feet were achey and need support. He said the S curve will help and it did.
From: Linda, 11/12

Comments: In my continued search for a NB 1001-02 replacement, I am frustrated. There is no replacement it seems. The 1001 was the best tennis shoe I've ever had. When I found this shoe I bought several pairs, for fear it would be discontinued (this has happened to me with running shoes when I was a runner). Why can't NB Balance get the message? Bring back the 1001-02! I have tried the 1004 and was so disappointed...
From: Carol, 7/12

Comments: I wore through a pair of the 900's and got these as a "replacement." These seem much larger (same size/width 7.5B) but boxy in the toes and I have to wear 2 pairs of socks and tighten carefully. They are comfortable out of the box, if a bit stiffer.
From: Em, 11/11

Comments: I bought the 1004 and while I can actually feel the arch support, the shoe is very boxy and feels rather stiff. The heel cup is deep and gives good ankle support, but these are not my favorite shoes.
From: Lynne, Houston, TX, USA. 4/11

Comments: I am also disappointed in the 1004. I wore several pairs of the 1000 series prior to this but will not buy another pair until they bring back the 1001 or 1003. Guess NB doesn't read the feedback they get. I was going to try the 900 but after reading the reviews I think not. Think I'll go to the NB website and see what's posted there.
From: ML, Orlando, FL, USA, 01/11

Comments: I'm so confused by the other comments. I love these shoes! Been buying this style for years. I play 4- 5 times a week. As with other brands of shoes, I do replace them every 3-4 months & I wear them with Dr. Scholls arthritis inserts. I used to have horrible foot pain, but this shoe has eliminated that! Love the "inner cuff" that tightens with the laces. Really supports the side of my ankle. Plays equally well on clay and hard court surface.
From: Julie, Greenlawn, NY, USA, 01/11

Comments: I agree with others comments. I have always worn New Balance and have loved them. For some reason these were very uncomfortable and I developed a pain in the ball of my right foot. I play a lot and am so disappointed in the 1004. Bring back the old models. Now I have to look for another brand.
From: Candace, Appleton, WI, USA, 09/10

Comments: LOVED the 1003's. Very disappointed in the 1004's. Bought the narrow size, still very wide - had to spend more $ on insoles. NOT WORTH THE MONEY...bring back the 1003's please!
From: Kari, Charlotte, NC, USA, 08/10

Comments: I purchased the 1004 NB shoes and should have read the reviews first, not so great... I usually have a size 8.5 but these feel too big, I'm afraid to return them for a size 8 , does anyone have experience with this?
From: Sonja, San Jose, CA, USA. 6/10

Comments: I've worn New Balance 653/654 for many years without any problems, but I decided to go for the higher end NB tennis shoes, assuming that I'd get lighter and more comfortable shoes. After a month playing with the 1004 (I play 4x a week), I experienced foot and leg problems that I had never had with the other NB shoes. I regret buying the NB 1004. They felt heavy, didn't have enough foot support, and seemed to not fit correctly.
From: Kay, San Francisco, CA, USA. 06/10

Comments: I'm also a 1001 fan. The 1004's are too wide at the heel and midfoot. Bring back the profile of the 1001, PLEASE.
From: Peggy, Louisville, KY USA. 5/10

Comments: After so many requests to bring back the 1001, I really do not understand why they will not bring them back. They were the best tennis show I have been able to find.
From: L. Mundell, San Angelo, Texas, USA. 4/10

Comments: I have purchased New Balance shoes for years and love them for the wide width which works well with my bunions. This shoe has never felt quite right. There was too much open space in the heel area and my feet and ankle don't feel supported. The shoes I used to buy are no longer available, so I'm looking for a different model.
From: Terri, St. Louis, MO. 3/10

Comments: After 2 years of foot problems including stress fracture in right foot and sesamoid (ball of foot) problems in left decided to try New Balance at recommendation of my podiatrist. I have a narrow foot and low arch. Used to wear Nike because they run narrow. So far I am having very good results with this shoe. I wear thick Thorlos, which may be helping with taking up a lot of the room in the shoe that some have mentioned in earlier feedback. Also, my athletic prescription orthotic insoles fit perfectly in this show. So far I'm very pleased with the comfort and low to the ground feel. Lots more stability and durability that I don't think I was getting in Nike Breath Free.
From: Jocel, Atlanta, GA, USA, 02/10

Comments: I agree with the majority of the comments. The 1001's were the best, had 3 pairs of the 1003 as I knew they would change them again. I haven't bought the 1004's as tennis friends have confirmed that they don't like them at all. I need a narrow so this, once again, puts me in a precarious position. Who is in charge of this department at New Balance??? Hope someone is forwarding feedback.
From: Brooke, Seattle, Wa USA 01/10

Comments: I play at least 4x a week, usually more. I don't understand why NB keeps changing the design of this shoe. The 1003's were just fine. These run way too big and the shoelaces are ridiculously long. I normally wear 7.5D but have to wear an 8.5D to accommodate prescription orthotics. I had to buy brand-new Thorlo level 3 socks in order to get a snug fit and they are still a tad too big. Also, they rub against callouses on the outside of my big toes--a problem I have not had previously. I go through 4 pairs of NB shoes every year--the outsole never lasts that long because I play so much, but I have to stick with NB because of the width. They obviously keep changing their foot model!
From: Tara (3.5), Columbia, MD 01/10

Comments: Couldn't agree more with the comments that these shoes just don't fit right. I teach aerobics by profession and New Balance is my favorite brand. I thought that would carry over to my 'new' found love tennis, but WOW! Nothing about these shoes felt right. The toe bed was hit me where my feet fell asleep and they were at least 1 1/2" long in an 8. I have bought 20+ New Balance size 8 shoes for teaching and never was a shoe so poorly made. I don't know where to turn now.
From: Loni, Columbia, SC, USA 01/10

Comments: I've worn NB shoes for many years now, but the 1004's do not fit correctly. I need to find a different shoe to buy and would appreciate suggestions as to what shoes would be considered similar to the 1003's. Anyone want my 1004's, I only wore them twice! I'm a 4.5 player and play almost everyday of the week.
From: Renee, Tx, USA. 12/09

Comments: I loved the WCT 1003 -- so comfortable in the toe bed. The WCT 1004 with its redesign to give more support rubs my feet the wrong way. Very uncomfortable! Now I have to find a new style that my feet love. I keep hoping to find some source that still has the WCT 1003 in my size.
From: Laura, Honolulu, HI USA. 10/09

Comments: Everyone is right on the money with comments about "new, improved" New Balance WCT's. The 1001's are far superior to any of the subsequent experiments. Many of my tennis friends used to wear NB, but have quit with all of the changes, which resulted in an inferior tennis shoe with a steep price tag. I miss my 1001's!
From: Barbara, Franklin, TN USA 09/09

Comments: They should bring back The 1001 Model. None of my tennis friends would ever buy this model. We all have switched to other brands.
From: Keiko, Singapore, 08/09

Comments: I am trying to replace my 1001's and have tried the WCT 1004 in both my usual size AND a size smaller and they are just not comfortable - stiff, poor support at the arch...just NOT like the 1001's which I LOVE! Why did you discontinue them?
From: Sheila, Ellicott City, MD 08/09

Comments: The 1004s are comfortable to wear but my feet have never ached like this before. I loved the 1001s as did half of my women's 4.0 team. Why does New Balance refuse to go back to that shoe?
From: Kathy, Whitmore Lake, MI USA. 8/09

Comments: Forgive me for 'shouting' at you, but PLEASE BRING BACK THE 1001. They were wonderful shoes, and no, the subsequent versions are NOT better or even similar. It's not necessary to keep changing what works. The 1001 was a very popular shoe and it would make good business sense for you to bring it back - you have a built-in market of people who miss that shoe.
From: Iris Mielonen, Austin,TX, USA 08/09

Comments: I wholeheartedly agree with Sherri from Tulsa, OK. The 1001s were the best. Subsequent updates have not fared well at all. Tried the 1004 and they are indeed too big. NB: Bring back the 1001s!
From: Donna, Saco, ME, USA 07/09

Comments: I have been wearing NB tennis shoes for several years and was surprised at the difference in fit with the WCT 1004. The shoe felt much bigger and wider than other NB shoes. I had to recheck the size as I felt that perhaps the a men's shoe had been sent in error (although that wasn't the case).
From: Marie, San Rafael, Ca, USA. 7/09

Comments: LOVED the 1003!! I think I have three or four old pairs in my closet. However, 1004 are horrible! My feet every morning after playing. I don't think they are supporting my feet properly. Bring back the 1003!!! Stop changing things! Change isn't always better!!!
From: Marlene. 7/09

Comments: I have purchased the 1001's, 1002's and 1003's in all of the same size 8B. Now, I try the 8B and it is too big, so I tried the 7.5B and it is too small. I go through these shoes every 3 months and they have been wonderful for cushion comfort and great arch support and awesome ventilation as well. I do not know what to do now since this is the only shoe that I know that works for me. New Balance needs to be consistent with sizing.
From: Ann, Danville, CA 07/09

Comments: I have purchased the New Balance 1001's, and 1002's for years in the same size. (I never bought any 1003's because I bought a year's supply of 1002's). I did, however, just purchase a pair of 1004's in the same size I always buy and found they were far too big, far too wide and very soft or "cushiony" - a "drastic" change. The earlier models were great tennis shoes with firm support, good ventilation and reasonable wearability; but most important, they were always consistently sized (!). If you want customers to be confident purchasing your product over the internet consistent sizing and product characteristics are key. I even tried a half size down to see if that might work, but the 1004 model is just too wide now in all of the sizes for me. Please consider these comments when designed your 1005's! Thank you.
From: Anne, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 07/09

Comments: The 1003's were an improvement over the 1002's, which were awful. But the 1001's are still the winner. And the new 1004, another mistake! Will these designers get the message?? Go back to the winner, and sell a lot of shoes!
From: Sherri, Tulsa, OK, USA, 04/09

Comments: Love the shoe. I just switched from the Asics Gel Challengers 6.0. My main goal was to find another sneaker that wouldn't hamper my foot speed and more ventilation. My first experience with the WCT 1004, I played for three hours straight and they were awesome! Lightweight, plenty of ventilation, padding, and overall support. Great sneaker from someone who doesn't like change and plays around 10-15 hrs per week. I am curious to see how long they last considering I would replace my Asics Gel Challengers every 3 months.
From: Nancy, Cornwall, NY, USA. 4/09